Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Did Austin Allen Regress This Year?

Started by UA1985, November 19, 2017, 10:39:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UA1985

From game one, his accuracy and his sense of when to get rid of the ball (to avoid sacks) seemed to be lacking. Inexperienced receivers and a shaky o-line contributed to it, but there were many times when he had time to throw, there was an open receiver, and his throw was late or off the mark. And his pocket awareness has been horrible, He takes too many needless sacks.

Is this Enos' responsibility?

go hogues

Because he was knocked senseless LAST year.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: UA1985 on November 19, 2017, 10:39:54 am
From game one, his accuracy and his sense of when to get rid of the ball (to avoid sacks) seemed to be lacking. Inexperienced receivers and a shaky o-line contributed to it, but there were many times when he had time to throw, there was an open receiver, and his throw was late or off the mark. And his pocket awareness has been horrible, He takes too many needless sacks.

It is all on coaching. This staff has let these players down. It is why they are all being fired after the Missouri game. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hoglady

The Oline has been abysmal this year.
Worse than last year.
He's taken more hits and sacks than any QB in football over the past 2 years.
Gets in your head after a while.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Breems

Quote from: UA1985 on November 19, 2017, 10:39:54 am

It's mental. When you're paranoid on every play due to our cheese OL, your decision making and overall performance is going to suffer.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Pecos Hog

All coaching.    The team was/is poorly prepared, and it started before the season even got started.       

dfwalumdad

because in year 3 everybody has tape on enos and have figured him out.

our plays are slow to develop, bring pressure, austin gets happy feet and gets sacked. 

Hogwild

1) Horrible OL play
2) AA is playing hurt
3) Big drop off at the WR position from last year
4) No one fears our running game

rtr

Receivers don't appear to know how to run routes.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

hawgon

CTE is real.  The last two years took years off that kid's life.

RebHog

Look up David Carr's career and you will find the answer

DallasHogFan

Quote from: Hogwild on November 19, 2017, 10:48:51 am
1) Horrible OL play
2) AA is playing hurt

This. I'll add number 5, a noticeable drop in arm strength. Only so many times you can get leveled onto your throwing shoulder before things go south.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

ballz2thewall

the OL is bad, no doubt.

but he seems unable to move when he should instinctively know when to do so.

the best of pockets close and shift. often, a few steps up or back would save him.
The rest of the frog.

Boardon Hamsay

1) Horrible OL play
2) AA is playing hurt
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

HognotinMemphis

So why did 3/4's of everyone here on Hogville predict either 8-4 or 9-3 or better? You could see that the WR group was way down from last year unless you did not want to see that. You could see that after losing R. Williams at RB, that group would not be as good.
You could clearly see that the O line would not be as good as last year's with the losses to graduation and last year's O line was crap.

As for the defense, they had potential to be "improved" but not good. None of the areas on defense were good last season. Their abilities are limited relative to rest of the SEC. Could they be better than last year's defense? Sure they could have been. But they weren't, were they?

Hence my prediction of 6-6 and prediction that 5-7 more likely than 7-5. Turns out, I will still miss that by 1 game. They will finish 4-8.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Locutus_of_Boar

It's not so much a matter of regressing as it is failing to adapt to the environment he's stuck in.  Specifically his greatest flaw is holding the ball too long instead of doing what his older brother excelled at in throwing away lost plays before they turned into sacks or worse yet turnovers.  BA faced somewhat the same problem though never so bad but he clearly adapted in 2014 and became an efficient QB.  AA just kept plugging away the same way and became ever more frustrated until few seemed to object to his absence when the not ready for prime time CK took his place.

onebadrubi

Rumor was he was hurt in either the spring or summer and they kept it under wraps. 

PorkRinds

1) Horrible OL play
2) AA is playing hurt
This.
Quote from: DallasHogFan on November 19, 2017, 10:51:36 am
This. I'll add number 5, a noticeable drop in arm strength. Only so many times you can get leveled onto your throwing shoulder before things go south.

And this.

IronHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 19, 2017, 10:55:22 am
So why did 3/4's of everyone here on Hogville predict either 8-4 or 9-3 or better? You could see that the WR group was way down from last year unless you did not want to see that. You could see that after losing R. Williams at RB, that group would not be as good.
You could clearly see that the O line would not be as good as last year's with the losses to graduation and last year's O line was crap.

As for the defense, they had potential to be "improved" but not good. None of the areas on defense were good last season. Their abilities are limited relative to rest of the SEC. Could they be better than last year's defense? Sure they could have been. But they weren't, were they?

Hence my prediction of 6-6 and prediction that 5-7 more likely than 7-5. Turns out, I will still miss that by 1 game. They will finish 4-8.

4/5 OL starters returned from a unit that could run over Fla and Miss st....and others in the 1st half.

It took an epic coaching fail to regress the OL that bad.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

UA1985

Quote from: go hogues on November 19, 2017, 10:41:22 am
Because he was knocked senseless LAST year.
Austin is a warrior and has never shied away from getting clobbered. I agree the beating he has taken has something to do with it. But I think coaching is a bigger contributor. Rather than have him sit in the pocket for 3+ seconds why not do something to prevent him from taking a beating? I.e., a game plan that would allow him to get rid of the ball quickly (use our vaunted TEs) or maybe roll him out of the pocket more often to make him a moving target? If he were--by design--getting rid of the ball quickly, he wouldn't have to worry about getting knocked into next week . . . .

IronHog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on November 19, 2017, 10:56:20 am
It's not so much a matter of regressing as it is failing to adapt to the environment he's stuck in.  Specifically his greatest flaw is holding the ball too long instead of doing what his older brother excelled at in throwing away lost plays before they turned into sacks or worse yet turnovers.  BA faced somewhat the same problem though never so bad but he clearly adapted in 2014 and became an efficient QB.  AA just kept plugging away the same way and became ever more frustrated until few seemed to object to his absence when the not ready for prime time CK took his place.

BA played behind some VERY good pass blocking lines that hogville made out to be trash

NWA bias gotta go

IronHog

Quote from: UA1985 on November 19, 2017, 11:01:22 am
Austin is a warrior and has never shied away from getting clobbered. I agree the beating he has taken has something to do with it. But I think coaching is a bigger contributor. Rather than have him sit in the pocket for 3+ seconds why not do something to prevent him from taking a beating? I.e., a game plan that would allow him to get rid of the ball quickly (use our vaunted TEs) or maybe roll him out of the pocket more often to make him a moving target? If he were--by design--getting rid of the ball quickly, he wouldn't have to worry about getting knocked into next week . . . .

7-9 step drops from under center is outdated football

Razor1997

Worse OL than last year, much less experienced WR corps this year that isn't always on the same page as he is

code red

Quote from: rtr on November 19, 2017, 10:49:39 am
I vote this.  The int could have been defended by 7 but he didn't even try for it.  Our receivers look scared to go over the middle. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

UA1985

Quote from: rtr on November 19, 2017, 10:49:39 am
Agreed, that's another frustration: or WRs seem to be poorly coached.

UA1985

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 19, 2017, 10:52:50 am
the OL is bad, no doubt.

but he seems unable to move when he should instinctively know when to do so.

the best of pockets close and shift. often, a few steps up or back would save him.
Exactly. That's on the coaches. They know he's fearless to a fault and his instinct is to sit back there until the bitter end. They should have coached that out of him by now. Instead, he seems less able to avoid sacks than ever.

Bacons Rebellion

1) Horrible OL play
2) AA is playing hurt

Any one of which would have made it difficult, and all four are in play.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: UA1985 on November 19, 2017, 11:06:19 am
Agreed, that's another frustration: or WRs seem to be poorly coached.

Same coaching as before. They are just all new.

bville_hog

it is strange how AA got remarkably better after one year of Enos and BA got remarkably worse.

It has been proven though several times, that BB will play hurt players when they should not be playing.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: IronHog on November 19, 2017, 11:00:52 am

4/5 OL starters returned from a unit that could run over Fla and Miss st....and others in the 1st half.

It took an epic coaching fail to regress the OL that bad.

From Athlonsports.com's preview of this year's team:

3. Shoring up the Offensive Line
One of the best surprises during the 2016 season was the play in the pocket by new starting quarterback Austin Allen. Allen led the SEC with 3,430 passing yards and was second in touchdowns with 25. But he also led the conference in interceptions (15) and was sacked the most (34). Some of the blame should fall to the offensive line, which was a work in progress after returning just two starters.

Headed into the 2017 season, the line is in better shape overall, although standout left tackle Dan Skipper is gone. Center Frank Ragnow is back and will anchor the unit, which really started to hit its stride when Johnny Gibson took over at right guard mid-way through the 2016 season. Redshirt sophomore Colton Jackson got a couple of starts at right tackle before giving way to Brian Wallace. If all goes well, expect Jackson to emerge as the starter at left tackle in place of Skipper at the end of spring practices. The rest of the spring will focus on rounding out the depth chart.

If you're bad, you will never improve past a point. This year's O line was as bad or worse than last year's, regardless of returning starters. Allen lost his receivers and fell apart this year. The NFL takes note of these things. Unlike his brother, he will not be drafted. He breaks down mentally fairly quickly.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jgphillips3

Austin Allen should burn Anderson's truck.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 19, 2017, 10:55:22 am

They were incorrect, just like your promise that ms st would blow us out and cover the spread yesterday.

toxichog

I can't ever remember a QB taking more direct pounding shots than AA the past two years.  Tyler Wilson took a pounding, but nothing like Allen this year.  When given the time he can make all the throws........which makes it all that more frustrating.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 19, 2017, 11:20:54 am
They were incorrect, just like your promise that ms st would blow us out and cover the spread yesterday.
My promise? Lol.

IronMountainHog

It was a joke to put a C on this kids jersey as a Captain. Starting with the first game, he never led. As a matter of fact he did the opposite. Blaming others, pointing fingers, whining, and showing poor leadership skills.

rtr

Quote from: IronHog on November 19, 2017, 11:02:17 am
BA played behind some VERY good pass blocking lines that hogville made out to be trash

NWA bias gotta go
I don't know what NWA bias has to do with this. You have some very good insights and opinions, this is not one of them.

rtr

NWA bias gotta go
I don't know what NWA bias has to do with this. You have some very good insights and opinions this is not one of them.
Quote from: IronHog on November 19, 2017, 11:03:47 am

7-9 step drops from under center is outdated football
This I agree with wholeheartedly.

majp51

NWA bias gotta go

Look I know you of all people see the "NWA Bias" boogyman everywhere you go, but this one has me stumped. What does misrepresenting OL's, or not, have to do with Bias?

BRUTUS POUNDCAKE

He was average to begin with - aside from poor recruiting, lack of player development, totally predictable game plans, the uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory - the biggest mistake Bret made was hitching his wagon to the Allens for 5 seasons

CareBear

As with many things in life there are multiple variables that contribute to what's going on if you will.
The QB situation has been bungled from day one of Bert's reign. It started with running Brandon Mitchell off after that young man had put in years of work for this team. He would have not been playing QB for Bobby if he did not possess at least a little QB talent. He transferred to NC State & straight up one the starting job. I suspect Bert buddied up with the Allen's. BA is the only UofA qb who struggled mightily for 2.5-3 yrs, yet was never benched. He was  actually left in the game when it was dangerous for him to be in the game. It seemed as if Bert was so scared of the next guy up to performing in a way that would make it blatantly obvious that the backup needed to beer strongly considered for the starting job. It often behooves a Qb to watch a few series from the sidelines so as to calm down & mentally re-adjust. I think the Allen brothers are talented for sure, but they have been the victim of poor QB coaching in regards to fundamentals, a bad offense scheme that was never going to work in the SEC, & a coach who did not get the play makers on the field nor did he know how to use said playmakers. Bobby would have had Austin looking like Brett Favre.
Hog football will soon be returning. Hopefully we can all have some hope again & hopefully that Razorback spirit that is very unique to this state returns with avengence 🐖😊❤️

TebowHater

BOAR_N2BWILD

Receivers are not even in the same ballpark talent wise as the group that was here last year.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

rtr

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on November 19, 2017, 11:40:01 am
Receivers are not even in the same ballpark talent wise as the group that was here last year.
I somewhat disagree, they have physical skills but it looks like the passing game has been neglected.  The Tight Ends are very good, Barry Lunney Jr. maybe the best assistant on staff.

jcul28

Austin had the potential to be really good. He got knocked around last year and he never got it out of his head. He was always a "thinker" meaning he had to think about each step. Sometimes it's way better to react and he just hasn't done that. That's not a knock on him or the coaching staff other than the poor O-line blocking. You can't teach some things.

Please not that most of our good players do their best work for a few games after being allowed to actually play.  Most of these Kids came from decent High School programs where you got your mind right, your body right and learned from your coaches.  You were kept mentally and physically ready and never knew the losing mentality. 

Then you sign with Arkansas, you are never prepared mentally, finally get physically ready by the 4th or 5th game of each season, and are never actually shown exactly how, what and where you have the best chance to help the team be sucessful. You run on your old High School teachings for awhile, but eventually you realize what is going on has no chance so you go into your shell and just try and somehow finish and mark it up as a lesson of life.  AT that point all the dreams of great things you had for yourself are gone, might have never been n any event but never allowed to bloom at your chosen school.  So no matter how hard you may try, you mentally quit.  Austin lasted longer than most.  He saw his brother go through the crap and finally Brandon just said screw it, I am going to play my game and if they don't like that, they can bench me.  Austin never reached the screw you stage.  But he did enter the season last year with the freshman outlook in that I can do this, I've planned and prepared for 3 years here, I got this.  Unfortunately, Austin was playing with fellows who had for the most part, been here too long and had already went through the mental breakdowns that comes with just being here.  Austin Allen wasted his college experience but so did so many others. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 19, 2017, 12:02:18 pm
Austin Allens shoulder is trashed. Has been since late last season. He shouldn't even be playing. This was told to me DIRECTLY by a player. He will likely have to have surgery after the season. He's a tough kid.

He definitely has not had the zip on the ball like we saw in games like La tech, TCu, etc last year

woodhog14

The answer is simple and how people can't see it is beyond me. He regressed because he had a bad offensive line and the receivers are below average and not SEC players.

woodhog14

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on November 19, 2017, 11:40:01 am
Totally agree.

woodhog14

Quote from: rtr on November 19, 2017, 11:43:11 am
I somewhat disagree, they have physical skills but it looks like the passing game has been neglected.  The Tight Ends are very good, Barry Lunney Jr. maybe the best assistant on staff.
Totally disagree. Receivers are not very good.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: 12247 on November 19, 2017, 11:57:50 am
Please not that most of our good players do their best work for a few games after being allowed to actually play.  Most of these Kids came from decent High School programs where you got your mind right, your body right and learned from your coaches.  You were kept mentally and physically ready and never knew the losing mentality. 

Then you sign with Arkansas, you are never prepared mentally, finally get physically ready by the 4th or 5th game of each season, and are never actually shown exactly how, what and where you have the best chance to help the team be sucessful. You run on your old High School teachings for awhile, but eventually you realize what is going on has no chance so you go into your shell and just try and somehow finish and mark it up as a lesson of life.  AT that point all the dreams of great things you had for yourself are gone, might have never been n any event but never allowed to bloom at your chosen school.  So no matter how hard you may try, you mentally quit.  Austin lasted longer than most.  He saw his brother go through the crap and finally Brandon just said screw it, I am going to play my game and if they don't like that, they can bench me.  Austin never reached the screw you stage.  But he did enter the season last year with the freshman outlook in that I can do this, I've planned and prepared for 3 years here, I got this.  Unfortunately, Austin was playing with fellows who had for the most part, been here too long and had already went through the mental breakdowns that comes with just being here.  Austin Allen wasted his college experience but so did so many others.
This is quite some insight. Just dream this up from watching TV or are you related to a Razorback coach?