Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wednesday bits

Started by The Recruiting Guy, January 14, 2015, 10:00:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgzinbowlz

Good to hear that safety Reid Miller of Bradenton, (Fla.) IMG Academy will report to Arkansas on Friday.
He's had a 4.0 GPA since the ninth grade.

I'm keeping an eye on Mr. Miller. He may be a 'diamond in the rough'.

" GO HOGS "

ldfergu

PorkRinds

Thomas is still scheduling visits, so it sounds like he will likely be staying.

ldfergu

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 10:26:48 am

When CBB addressed the Philon and Chaney departures he didn't mention them so I think they're both staying

Wildhog

He's been here three recruiting cycles, and (will have) signed one player, whose only other offer was Duke.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 10:42:13 am
He's been here three recruiting cycles, and (will have) signed one player, whose only other offer was Duke.

He and partridge recruited Alex Collins.  247 gives him at least partial credit for RWIII, Juan Day, Denzel Evans, and DJ Dean. 

http://247sports.com/Coach/Joel-Thomas-733/AllTimeRecruits

RazorBassin

Thanks RD!  As always, great work!  +1

ldfergu

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 10:51:10 am
He and partridge recruited Alex Collins.  247 gives him at least partial credit for RWIII, Juan Day, Denzel Evans, and DJ Dean. 

Still pretty weak.  AC had a relationship with Partridge and Coach B before Arkansas. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 10:51:10 am

Partridge was the lead with AC and Bielema closed the deal.

JT automatically gets credit for any RB recruit on the recruiting services.  IIRC, DJ Dean was mostly Ash, but JT did play a role, I guess.

RW3 is the only one he was the lead on.

We are Arkansas.  Running Back U.  No reason we can't do better than that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Yeah, we are a program that needs every single assistant to be a quality recruiter with a couple as aces.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hawg1221

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on January 14, 2015, 10:20:14 am
This is my possible secret visitor guess:

http://247sports.com/Player/Derrick-Dillon-29626

Wow! You're already smoking? You just had coffee.  Kidding...

I think it's the Louisiana LB that's committed to Arizona.  Forgot his name but we were recruiting him.

WooPig90

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 14, 2015, 11:26:18 am
Wow! You're already smoking? You just had coffee.  Kidding...

I think it's the Louisiana LB that's committed to Arizona.  Forgot his name but we were recruiting him.

Kendrick Jackson? Thats what im thinking too

ldfergu

Dillons name was kicked around a bit two weeks ago. Not sure if there was any substance to it

ldfergu

Dillon really isn't a stretch. If he didn't want to come here I'd be a bit surprised to see him stick with UF.  He's the top ranked kid in a class that currently consists of 8 recruits. 8. Signing day is approaching fast and UF is gonna be grasping at straws

ZERO

Does Florida really only have eight recruits committed? That seems highly odd.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Wildhog

Quote from: ZERO on January 14, 2015, 12:02:29 pm
Does Florida really only have eight recruits committed?

Yep.
1909/1964/1965/1977

WriterWrong

Personally, I don't understand the secret recruit thing. Maybe some of these kids don't want their name out there because they're afraid the school they're committed to will turn their back on them.

It just seems to me, that if a kid is committed and visiting other schools, the team he is committed to should just show them how bad they want them by continuing to recruit them. If a school pulls an offer because the kid visited another school, apparently that school didn't want them very bad in the first place. Why is that a bad thing for the kid to figure out?

Can anybody give me some logical reasons why visitors are kept secret? I just don't see any good reasons.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WriterWrong on January 14, 2015, 03:04:10 pm
Personally, I don't understand the secret recruit thing. Maybe some of these kids don't want their name out there because they're afraid the school they're committed to will turn their back on them.

It just seems to me, that if a kid is committed and visiting other schools, the team he is committed to should just show them how bad they want them by continuing to recruit them. If a school pulls an offer because the kid visited another school, apparently that school didn't want them very bad in the first place. Why is that a bad thing for the kid to figure out?

Can anybody give me some logical reasons why visitors are kept secret? I just don't see any good reasons.

They don't want to deal with the backlash.  Some kids don't enjoy the public display part of it, and some do.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 11:04:18 am
Partridge was the lead with AC and Bielema closed the deal.

JT automatically gets credit for any RB recruit on the recruiting services.  IIRC, DJ Dean was mostly Ash, but JT did play a role, I guess.

RW3 is the only one he was the lead on.

We are Arkansas.  Running Back U.  No reason we can't do better than that.

The Running Back U title is highly debatable.

Oklahawg

Quote from: WriterWrong on January 14, 2015, 03:04:10 pm

Two come to mind right now.

1. The player gets to get the visit started before the press hits and they deflect some of the pressure from folks back home and the school to whom they are committed.
2. The recruiting school (UA in this case) does not have to worry about scaring off another recruit.

So, scenario #1: Bob is committed to Colorado. All Bob's friends are either CU fans, like skiing, going to CU themselves, or similar. Bob doesn't want to have them in his ear until he has a chance to see, unfiltered, how UA stacks up against them.

Scenario #1a: CU might threaten to pull Bob's offer if he visits elsewhere. Bob would rather have a known offer to a school he likes rather than risk it. He takes the visit as secretly as possible so he can not worry about that. (OF course, CU eventually is going to find out anyway...)

Scenario #2: UA needs 4 linebackers, but at least one of the targets wants to be the Prima, the alpha LB recruit. By not announcing the others who are visiting the alpha recruit doesn't feel like they are sharing the spotlight. Once on the visit the alpha recruit gets to mingle with the others and everything calms down.

Scenario #2a: can even be, "you are our only LB recruit this weekend, you are the only target". Bob is a LB recruit to CU, LSU, and Western KY, but for UA he would be a TE. The LB recruits might not buy that but when they see Bob hanging out with TEs, getting a TE jersey for the locker room picture, and talking to the TE position coach he is cool with it.

Help?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

sowmonella

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 14, 2015, 03:20:39 pm

1. The player gets to get the visit started before the press hits and they deflect some of the pressure from folks back home and the school to whom they are committed.
2. The recruiting school (UA in this case) does not have to worry about scaring off another recruit.

So, scenario #1: Bob is committed to Colorado. All Bob's friends are either CU fans, like skiing, going to CU themselves, or similar. Bob doesn't want to have them in his ear until he has a chance to see, unfiltered, how UA stacks up against them.

Scenario #1a: CU might threaten to pull Bob's offer if he visits elsewhere. Bob would rather have a known offer to a school he likes rather than risk it. He takes the visit as secretly as possible so he can not worry about that. (OF course, CU eventually is going to find out anyway...)

Scenario #2: UA needs 4 linebackers, but at least one of the targets wants to be the Prima, the alpha LB recruit. By not announcing the others who are visiting the alpha recruit doesn't feel like they are sharing the spotlight. Once on the visit the alpha recruit gets to mingle with the others and everything calms down.

Scenario #2a: can even be, "you are our only LB recruit this weekend, you are the only target". Bob is a LB recruit to CU, LSU, and Western KY, but for UA he would be a TE. The LB recruits might not buy that but when they see Bob hanging out with TEs, getting a TE jersey for the locker room picture, and talking to the TE position coach he is cool with it.

Help?

How many stars does Bob rate?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

WriterWrong

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 14, 2015, 03:20:39 pm

Help?

Well said.

My thought process is, the Hogs want KJ Hill really bad.
KJ is going to visit Florida.
The Hogs aren't going to pull his offer because he went on a visit. If anything, it forces the Hogs to recruit him harder and show KJ just how bad they want him.
In the end, KJ gets to make his mind up regardless if UA knows he went on a visit or not.

It would be interesting to find out how many Razorback recruits are "silent visitors" at other schools. It's not like we're the only one this happens with. Would we freak out more if KJ was taking a silent visit to Florida instead of an official? Just a thought that came to mind.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on January 14, 2015, 03:18:53 pm

Doesn't matter if its debatable.  Its a strong selling point to a kid.  ESPN said it so it must be true.

Wildhog

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on January 14, 2015, 03:18:53 pm

The rest of it isn't.  JT is dead weight.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ldfergu

I have no idea why KJ would want to take an official to UF in it's current state

ricepig

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on January 14, 2015, 03:53:27 pm
I have no idea why KJ would want to take an official to UF in it's current state

He's going to Bama for a visit.

ldfergu

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2015, 03:55:08 pm
He's going to Bama for a visit.

I know that. I think a couple posts up they were talking hypotheticals and mentioned KJ visiting UF. I may have misinterpreted

Oklahawg

Quote from: sowmonella on January 14, 2015, 03:43:01 pm
How many stars does Bob rate?

Doesn't matter, CU is recruiting him and they are horrible so we must not want him :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

pigture perfect

Another thread is showing that his new contract has been amended and signed. He's ours.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Steef

SIAP

Seems to me, a secret recruit is encouraging.

Committed kids who keep visiting publicly...we always say "well, he's just enjoying the free trip".

Which may or may not be true.

But if he isn't wanting anyone to know, that isn't a joyride. He's actually at least entertaining a flip.

Just a guess.

mhuff

Quote from: steefhog on January 14, 2015, 04:41:57 pm
SIAP

Committed kids who keep visiting publicly...we always say "well, he's just enjoying the free trip".

But if he isn't wanting anyone to know, that isn't a joyride. He's actually at least entertaining a flip.

Just a guess.

You got my vote

WriterWrong

SIAP

Just a guess.

I like this theory.

hoglady

I must have missed something.
I thought Graham was coming this weekend on his own dime.
Is that not happening?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

WBC Hog

Sneaky RD. Trying to slip that secret prospect committed elsewhere in at the very end.

Please let it be Holton Hill!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jjdlc

Quote from: hoglady on January 14, 2015, 10:09:42 pm
I must have missed something.
I thought Graham was coming this weekend on his own dime.
Is that not happening?

Unless something changed, as of today it was being reported that he was still coming.

redeye

SIAP

Just a guess.

You can add my vote also.

hoglady

Quote from: jjdlc on January 14, 2015, 11:56:04 pm
Unless something changed, as of today it was being reported that he was still coming.

Thanks - when I didn't see that mentioned in the article I was wondering if things had changed.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ldfergu

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 14, 2015, 11:22:07 pm
Mine is Hauton..(sp?)

RD stated it's a recruit committed to an SEC school. Haughton is an Oklahoma commit