Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sunday bits

Started by The Recruiting Guy, January 11, 2015, 09:12:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

East TN HAWG

Quote from: HawgCan on January 12, 2015, 11:21:35 am
If KJ flips and goes somewhere else then he really never wanted to be a Razorback!  Hope he stays a Hog but if his heart is not in it I don't want him to come here.

My sister wanted to go to graduate school at AR, but the U of A did not offer a veterinary degree.  She went to LSU. 

Suppose we hire a Paul Johnson run type OC.  KJ is a WR, and wants to go to school to become an NFL WR.  With a running OC, the situation would not be ideal at AR for a WR.  Is KJ's situation really that much different from wanting to go to school that does not offer that degree? 

Where your heart is, and wanting a future are two different animals.  KJ has NFL type size and talent.  His livelihood for the rest of his life depends on this decision.  He has to make the right decision for him, and he is going about it the right way.   In the end, he will be a hog.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 12, 2015, 08:52:31 am
I have a recruiting question.  Merrick commits and reports to Arkansas on Sunday.  He can't officially enroll until Monday morning.  It's also a dead period in recruiting, which means no contact.  So when he flew in yesterday, whose allowed to pick him up?  It can't be coaches or players, right???

with all due respect, who cares?  as long as he's here, I'm good

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 12, 2015, 08:52:31 am
I have a recruiting question.  Merrick commits and reports to Arkansas on Sunday.  He can't officially enroll until Monday morning.  It's also a dead period in recruiting, which means no contact.  So when he flew in yesterday, whose allowed to pick him up?  It can't be coaches or players, right???

Once he signs an LOI he can have any contact with UA he wants. Players, coaches, staffers, etc. He wouldn't be on campus today if he hadn't signed that LOI.

I bet it was inked days ago and he was just waiting on confirmation to get on the plane.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 12, 2015, 12:26:50 pm
Once he signs an LOI he can have any contact with UA he wants. Players, coaches, staffers, etc. He wouldn't be on campus today if he hadn't signed that LOI.

I bet it was inked days ago and he was just waiting on confirmation to get on the plane.

Yep.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hawgwash

I asked this in another thread, but have the early enrollees actually signed a letter of intent(binding), or only a financial aid agreement (non-binding)?  If they've only signed the FAA, when do they sign a LOI? 

ricepig

FAA

PorkRinds

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 12, 2015, 12:11:23 pm
My sister wanted to go to graduate school at AR, but the U of A did not offer a veterinary degree.  She went to LSU. 

Suppose we hire a Paul Johnson run type OC.  KJ is a WR, and wants to go to school to become an NFL WR.  With a running OC, the situation would not be ideal at AR for a WR.  Is KJ's situation really that much different from wanting to go to school that does not offer that degree? 

Where your heart is, and wanting a future are two different animals.  KJ has NFL type size and talent.  His livelihood for the rest of his life depends on this decision.  He has to make the right decision for him, and he is going about it the right way.   In the end, he will be a hog.

The head coach has stated that his goal is to have a balanced offense.  200 passing and 200 rushing.  That's what the next guy will be tasked with.  So KJ doesn't need to worry about coming here and being a blocker. 

ldfergu

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 12, 2015, 12:19:31 pm
with all due respect, who cares?  as long as he's here, I'm good

I think he wanted to go pick him up

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HawgCan on January 12, 2015, 11:21:35 am
If KJ flips and goes somewhere else then he really never wanted to be a Razorback!  Hope he stays a Hog but if his heart is not in it I don't want him to come here.

This is oft quoted when kids we were after end up going somewhere else, but I think it is appropriate in KJ's case.

He either is a fit for our program/culture/university or he's not.

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 12, 2015, 12:11:23 pm
KJ has NFL type size and talent.  His livelihood for the rest of his life depends on this decision.  He has to make the right decision for him, and he is going about it the right way.   

The NFL will find you IF you have the "talent and size" to play in that league.

They find kids from Prairie View A&M (is that a real school?) and every other place, they'll find him easily enough if he plays at the UA.

The thinking you put forward here is the exact kind of baloney opposing coaches have been using against us forever, and it's a lie.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

East TN HAWG

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 12, 2015, 01:39:44 pm
This is oft quoted when kids we were after end up going somewhere else, but I think it is appropriate in KJ's case.

He either is a fit for our program/culture/university or he's not.

The NFL will find you IF you have the "talent and size" to play in that league.

They find kids from Prairie View A&M (is that a real school?) and every other place, they'll find him easily enough if he plays at the UA.

The thinking you put forward here is the exact kind of baloney opposing coaches have been using against us forever, and it's a lie.

"He either is a fit for our program/culture/university or he's not."  How in the hell can he know whether he is a fit or not if the position coach and OC are not in place?  Did Mitch Mustain fit with HDN?   Mitch loved the U of A.   

True, they will find you if you have NFL talent.  The major hole in argument is that could cost you important draft slots which mean hundreds of thousands of dollars.  It gives you an advantage in the draft if everyone knows who you are coming out of college.  There are certain offenses that highlight WRs, and there are offenses that highlight RBs.  Your college offense and the coaching you receive makes an impact on your draft status and your ability to make an NFL roster spot. 

If I was in KJs spot, I'd make sure that I was in a position to show off my talent.  I would not decommit to the U of A, but I would have a definite back up plan in case I was not happy with the decision.   

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 12, 2015, 02:06:23 pm
"He either is a fit for our program/culture/university or he's not."  How in the hell can he know whether he is a fit or not if the position coach and OC are not in place?  Did Mitch Mustain fit with HDN?   Mitch loved the U of A.   

If I was in KJs spot, I'd make sure that I was in a position to show off my talent.  I would not decommit to the U of A, but I would have a definite back up plan in case I was not happy with the decision.   

I agree with most of what you're saying here.

But the "culture of the program/university" should be more strongly associated with the school itself, the head coach, and the players who make up the program as it stands.

I don't have a problem with KJ wanting to find out who the next OC is going to be before he locks in.  I agree that is the smart thing to do.

But if CBB has told KJ what he wants in the offense, then it would make perfect sense the next OC will be in that direction.

But if KJ was not in love with the UA to begin with, then such a change would be an convenient excuse to jump ship.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

billmontgomery10

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 11, 2015, 09:30:07 pm
Well...if the loss of mediocre coaches causes you to waiver in your commitment, you really didn't want to be committed anyways.  This seems to me to be a way of saying I'm not sure anymore, and it's on you and not me.  Not buying it.

+1

31to6

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 11, 2015, 09:57:03 pm
Hill has made it clear on twitter that nothing has changed at this time. His step father has just said things are uncertain right now. People need to calm down.
I agree, it is certainly reasonable for him to want to meet the new OC (and WR?) coach(es) before signing his NLI.

He's going to have to work with them very closely. As long as he doesn't make a hasty decision without giving the incoming replacement(s) a fair shake that's all we can ask.

It is the biggest decision he's made so far in his life. You don't want him coming here if he's not fully "committed" to being the best Razorback he can be.