Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SETI

Started by Oklahawg, January 11, 2015, 03:01:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

SETI = Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligent lifeforms.

I have this mental image of a bunch of folks sitting around a room with no windows pouring over gobs of data that is ultimately meaningless.

Every so often one of them gets real excited because they think they've read the tea leaves and "have something".

In other words, it is like reading the recruiting forum. A lot of meaningless noise with the occasional nugget that "means something". But, few are equipped to determine what it means.

And, on the other hand, a lot of great information, fine commentary and excited fans posting about recruits they'd like to see as Hogs.

Let's have more of the latter and less of the former. Sit back and watch the usual suspects with their SETI posts (Merrick's threads are the most recent examples) mutter and moan about it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra