Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More Gabe Please

Started by razorback1829, February 09, 2018, 12:15:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback1829

6'8-6'9 with 7'1 wingspan and takes charges. Can pass the ball as well. More Please! Not saying he's the answer but he's a different option.

Sow Lancelot

Ditto.

Here's hoping he doesn't make mistakes in his Thursday practices.

;)
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

razorback1829

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 09, 2018, 09:49:17 am
Better option than Cook, Thomas when he tries to shoot nothing but jumpers and Thompson when he's gassed. Bailey needs to play more as well. Hall starting to get minutes. Those are high energy, hard-nosed guys that impact the game in a positive way. They play DEFENSE (well Bailey can be MIA at times), which is what this team is lacking and needs in order to thrive.

I agree. We were playing better earlier when Bailey was playing well.. need that guy to come back.

Dominicanhog

February 09, 2018, 10:02:36 am #3 Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:23:09 am by Dominicanhog
Better option than Cook, Thomas when he tries to shoot nothing but jumpers and Thompson when he's gassed. Bailey needs to play more as well. Hall starting to get minutes. Those are high energy, hard-nosed guys that impact the game in a positive way. They play DEFENSE (well Bailey can be MIA at times), which is what this team is lacking and needs in order to thrive.

Gabe's playing becasue Mike is looking for players at the 4.. Cook has done next to nothing all year and AB has not stepped up this year as expected, 5pts & 8 rbds in the last 5 games..

Mike is giving everybody a chance, yet no one from the bench has really done IT.. Trey looks like he wants to go out with a bang.... but we really need a bench threat .. maybe CJ will come alive...

Letsroll1200

Bailey at times seems lost on defense. He was playing well until Cook and Thomas returned from suspension.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 09, 2018, 10:02:36 am
Gabe's playing becasue Mike is looking for players at the 4.. Cook has done next to nothing all year and AB has not stepped up this year as expected, 5pts & 8 rbds in the last 5 games..

Mike is giving everybody a chance, yet no one from the bench has really done IT.. Trey looks like he wants to go out with a bang.... but we really need a bench threat .. maybe CJ will come alive...
yea but it took Mike 4 games to get Abe playing time after he mentioned he would see time earlier.  Kind of sounded like a few years ago when Mike kept saying we will see (the kid that is now at Iowa State) get more playing time and we never saw him in the game.  Or our past football staff that said we have to find a way to get TJ more touches and then see him get one to none in the next game

HognitiveDissonance

The '4' position...all of those guys have had moments.
Bailey was playing early, had a great, active outing in the LR game.
Thomas has had some really good games..had a 10+ rebound game against OSU recently
Gabe O had his moment in the sun last game
Cook does some things occasionally.

All of them are capable, if given playing time, but none of them really stands above the other.
So I don't want to rain on Gabe O's parade, but he didn't do anything the others haven't done before at times.

For my money, I would play Bailey more than anyone, with Thomas a close second. I just think Bailey is the most athletic and complements the other guys on the floor who are more offensive contributors(Macon, Barford, etc). My starting 5 would be Macon, Barford, Gafford, Bailey, and D Hall, with Beard, Thompson, Jones, Thomas off the bench.

razorback1829

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 09, 2018, 03:17:00 pm
Thomas has had some really good games..had a 10+ rebound game against OSU recently

All of them are capable, if given playing time, but none of them really stands above the other.
So I don't want to rain on Gabe O's parade, but he didn't do anything the others haven't done before at times.

For my money, I would play Bailey more than anyone, with Thomas a close second. I just think Bailey is the most athletic and complements the other guys on the floor who are more offensive contributors(Macon, Barford, etc). My starting 5 would be Macon, Barford, Gafford, Bailey, and D Hall, with Beard, Thompson, Jones, Thomas off the bench.

I think Thomas is about 9th/10th on the depth chart.

nwahogfan1

I agree Gabe needs more minutes but why Bailey?   He has no offensive game and does not rebound or play defense well enough to make up for it.  Bailey is a PF but only 6'5ish so a man without a position.  Time to cut bait and get a 6'8 PF or a skilled 6'5 SF

razorback1829

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 09, 2018, 09:30:57 pm
I agree Gabe needs more minutes but why Bailey?   He has no offensive game and does not rebound or play defense well enough to make up for it.  Bailey is a PF but only 6'5ish so a man without a position.  Time to cut bait and get a 6'8 PF or a skilled 6'5 SF

6'7 bouncy developing forward. When he's on, he's the best we have. Talking about a guy that had 5 blocks against UNC, and when he was playing his best earlier, we were a different team. That's why Bailey.

hobhog

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 09, 2018, 04:50:26 pm
I think Thomas is about 9th/10th on the depth chart.

Which means he will probably start tomorrow....

Dominicanhog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 09, 2018, 09:30:57 pm

I'm beginning to think we see a transfer after the season..

Dominicanhog

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 09, 2018, 09:52:27 pm
when he was playing his best earlier, we were a different team.

We weren't playing SEC teams.. look at his stats in conference.. he is a liability and producing next to nothing.. it's why Mike is trying so hard to find a 4... thus Gabe, this late in the year...

razorback1829

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 10, 2018, 07:16:38 am
We weren't playing SEC teams.. look at his stats in conference.. he is a liability and producing next to nothing.. it's why Mike is trying so hard to find a 4... thus Gabe, this late in the year...

I agree, if he's not producing he's a liability, but we need him most of all to get going and produce that second line of defense like he did against UNC and in non conference. Just needs that confidence back. Gabe will turn out to be more skilled and a better scorer than the other 3 when it's all said and done. It was his first mins in his first real  SEC action so hopefully we'll see him start getting those junk buckets.

golfinpig

Gabe looked promising in his minutes early in the season while. Ok and Thomas were out but upon their return MA forgot Gabe was on the team. Typical Mike, he will stick with the older guys regardless of how bad they suck.

rude1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 09, 2018, 03:17:00 pm

Yes he did something the others haven't done, and that is concentrate on doing the things you can do to help the team. The others all seem to want to be a part of the offense, which leads them to attempting to do things offensively that leads to turn overs. What Gabe did was look to do the little things, set good screens, play good defense, rebound the basketball, and look for teammates when he had the ball. If the others would do as he did, we would be a better team, as our problems are on defense and rebounding, not offense, we have had offense covered most of the season.

Razorod

Quote from: rude1 on February 10, 2018, 04:29:49 pm
Yes he did something the others haven't done, and that is concentrate on doing the things you can do to help the team. The others all seem to want to be a part of the offense, which leads them to attempting to do things offensively that leads to turn overs. What Gabe did was look to do the little things, set good screens, play good defense, rebound the basketball, and look for teammates when he had the ball. If the others would do as he did, we would be a better team, as our problems are on defense and rebounding, not offense, we have had offense covered most of the season.
All very good points. Let's hope he gets a chance to bring these little things into the game tonight.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.