Clay Helton

Started by gawntrail, January 19, 2015, 12:11:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gawntrail

USC OC.
Great Recruiter.
Florida Roots.
Coached all skill positions. 
Was retained under quirky circumstances after Kiffin fired at SC (halftime announcement at Bowl Game)
Got 1 yr extension... Haven't seen any other info, but, didn't try too hard either
Seems he and current HC not on same page.
Makes like $850K.

Just another name to consider.

Sorry if this guy has been discussed already.

HOGINTENNESSEE

What's his motivation to come here? To be closer to TX?

gawntrail

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 19, 2015, 07:27:53 am
What's his motivation to come here? To be closer to TX?

The articles I read look like he and Sarkisian are out of sync.  The message boards (for what they're worth) in season were calling for Helton to be given the play calling.  Sarkisian calls the plays and has to defend doing so as early as game 2.  There's a riff there.  Sarkisian ain't going to make it.  And he's going to burn the ship and all aboard.

Helton is not one of Sarkisian's boys.  I know under those circumstances I'd be looking.  Philosophy-wise Sarkisian wants to go up-tempo.  Helton is more what the Hogs are about.  Just seems like a strained situation.

And, I couldn't find anything on his current contract terms.  So, I'm speculating that Helton fits an out of the box type of hire.  It also fits the BB pattern of being a hush hush thing that will turn heads.

gawntrail

Quote from: Wilson4president on January 19, 2015, 08:52:30 am
What about Jason Candle?  Toledo OC has great stats at the school and toledo runs a modified pro style offense.

Don't know anything about him.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: gawntrail on January 19, 2015, 08:48:53 am
The articles I read look like he and Sarkisian are out of sync.  The message boards (for what they're worth) in season were calling for Helton to be given the play calling.  Sarkisian calls the plays and has to defend doing so as early as game 2.  There's a riff there.  Sarkisian ain't going to make it.  And he's going to burn the ship and all aboard.

Helton is not one of Sarkisian's boys.  I know under those circumstances I'd be looking.  Philosophy-wise Sarkisian wants to go up-tempo.  Helton is more what the Hogs are about.  Just seems like a strained situation.

And, I couldn't find anything on his current contract terms.  So, I'm speculating that Helton fits an out of the box type of hire.  It also fits the BB pattern of being a hush hush thing that will turn heads.

Thanks for the info.

jb11

CBB was in southern California last week.  Things that make you go HMMM.

robmc1883

I know money isn't everything, but from what I can see he make 850k and I have no desire to pay that much to get an OC that isn't proven.  Not saying he wouldn't come for less as it seems the situation is pretty bad, but seems like a stretch.  Definitely think it could be a good hire if we got him for the right amount.

gawntrail

Quote from: robmc1883 on January 19, 2015, 09:14:15 am
I know money isn't everything, but from what I can see he make 850k and I have no desire to pay that much to get an OC that isn't proven.  Not saying he wouldn't come for less as it seems the situation is pretty bad, but seems like a stretch.  Definitely think it could be a good hire if we got him for the right amount.

Yeah.  The money is a chunk.  But, I think it was a match for what Muschamp offered trying to get him to Florida.  Guy is 8th best recruiter in country... Given SC is not hard to recruit to. 

gawntrail

Should have included in op that he is now obviously wired in to SoCal for HS and JuCo recruiting purposes too.

Just seems to fit, considering all the angles.

hogfanssay

ASU hired him as Head Coach once.... No thanks.

JackJohnson

Yea I doubt unless we hire someone who is just so hands down a homerun hire we pay the OC 100k more than what we are paying Smith.

Being out in LA the cost of living is so much greater then here maybe he would accept a couple hundred thousand pay decrease...but man that would be a tough sell

jb11

If we paid him the same, it would be a big raise for him considering the cost of living difference.

JackJohnson

Quote from: hogfanssay on January 19, 2015, 09:33:36 am
ASU hired him as Head Coach once.... No thanks.

Mike Tomlin was a former DB coach at Ark St- I would think many would be OK if he was ever fired from Pittsburg if he ended up on staff here

rhames

I don't see us paying that much
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hou-Hog

do not forget cost of living difference

Jamie Jones

Because you are writing the salary check for the next OC out of your personal or escrow account? I doubt that the people responsible for hiring and paying staff members give a rats about how the common fan feels regarding such issues.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

robmc1883

Quote from: Jamie Jones on January 19, 2015, 09:50:43 am
Because you are writing the salary check for the next OC out of your personal or escrow account? I doubt that the people responsible for hiring and paying staff members give a rats about how the common fan feels regarding such issues.

Didn't realize my comment was so offensive.  Sorry!!! Just thought it made sense that if we want to pay a guy that much we might want to make sure we knew what we were getting and I'm not sure we do.  I think I also said I would be fine with the hire as well.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: robmc1883 on January 19, 2015, 09:58:26 am
Didn't realize my comment was so offensive.  Sorry!!! Just thought it made sense that if we want to pay a guy that much we might want to make sure we knew what we were getting and I'm not sure we do.  I think I also said I would be fine with the hire as well.
My apologies. It was the way you worded it. No one on this board, with any knowledge, is posting any pertinent information. It's all speculation because hires, of late, have come from out of nowhere. I expect this one to be no different. And the way coaches salaries are and all the job hopping, I only hope that whomever it is, gets paid up front and doesn't become a contract distraction after one or two years. The lateral moves are different than promotions elsewhere. I believe they hurt recruiting. So, I don't care what the salary amount is, just get someone and build continuity.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

robmc1883

Quote from: Jamie Jones on January 19, 2015, 10:06:38 am
My apologies. It was the way you worded it. No one on this board, with any knowledge, is posting any pertinent information. It's all speculation because hires, of late, have come from out of nowhere. I expect this one to be no different. And the way coaches salaries are and all the job hopping, I only hope that whomever it is, gets paid up front and doesn't become a contract distraction after one or two years. The lateral moves are different than promotions elsewhere. I believe they hurt recruiting. So, I don't care what the salary amount is, just get someone and build continuity.
I can agree with that on multiple levels.  There is no doubt that BB has an amazing ability to keep things completely to himself until the hire is official.  I also think that whatever it takes to get the right guy here then so be it.  The only thing I was saying and perhaps I stated it wrong but I am not sure he would move for our offer.  He has it made!! Recruiting the best talent with ease, great location to live, high profile position.  Just seems to be a hard sell.  Hope I'm wrong though.

gawntrail

Quote from: Wilson4president on January 19, 2015, 10:41:34 am
Hey gawntrail here is a little information I dug up on him:

Jason Candle- OC/QB Coach @ Toledo. Guy recruits well and runs a pro-style offense with some modifications. He has the balance that Bielema is looking, in 2013 they had 447 total yards a game with 240 yards coming on the ground. He has probably been mentioned a 100 times but just thought it interesting and after the GoDaddy bowl performance he seems solid to me. I am not expert just my opinion!!!

2014 OVERALL FBS RANKINGS
PASSING YARDS-234.8 60th Overall

RUSHING YARDS-256.4 13th Overall

POINTS FOR-36.6 20th Overall

I turned that bowl game on very late.  I wanted to see both teams.  I've never seen a stAte game and I'd heard Toledo was pretty solid.  Life happens and I only got to see garbage time.

Those numbers are solid and look like they fit what we're trying to do.  Could be a great hire.  I'm not married to anybody.  I was just looking for possibilities that kind of fit needs and wants from both sides.

I still think Norm Chow would be an awesome hire!!

Piggfoot

Cost a lot of money to live in So Cal
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

gawntrail

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 19, 2015, 10:56:27 am
Cost a lot of money to live in So Cal

And you can't live close to campus.  Its Beirut.