Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cost of attendance passes P5 today.

Started by ricepig, January 17, 2015, 03:27:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

DI autonomy proposal allowing financial assistance up to cost of attendance passes 79-1 #NCAAConv

ricepig

Other votes:

Power 5 vote to prevent colleges from cutting players for athletic reasons. 50-29-1 is the vote. SEC voted against 11-2, I believe.

Four-year guaranteed scholarships passes, SEC and Big 12 voted against

Inhogswetrust

Your first post I have no problem with it passing.

The second post stuff is a little disconcerting. NOW there is no incentive for a player to work hard to keep his scholarship. That's the same as if someone on academic scholarship decided to not study get rte ally bad grades and they get to keep their scholarship. It doesn't make sense.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lefty08

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 17, 2015, 04:06:39 pm

The second post stuff is a little disconcerting. NOW there is no incentive for a player to work hard to keep his scholarship. That's the same as if someone on academic scholarship decided to not study get rte ally bad grades and they get to keep their scholarship. It doesn't make sense.

Agree 100%
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

jgphillips3

Actually, since CBB runs his program as if he's giving them a 4 year scholarship, that second rule hurts the rest of the SEC far more than it hurts us.  That's probably a win for our program and "uncommon" men.

ricepig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 17, 2015, 04:12:43 pm
Actually, since CBB runs his program as if he's giving them a 4 year scholarship, that second rule hurts the rest of the SEC far more than it hurts us.  That's probably a win for our program and "uncommon" men.

I wonder how we voted?

IBleedRazorbackRed

They still have to work hard to see the field.

jgphillips3

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2015, 04:13:34 pm
I wonder how we voted?

I bet we are one of the two.  Vandy is probably the other.

Tier1hog

I don't think that's a fair comparison.  Usually, if you are given an academic scholarship, the rule will stipulate that you lose it if your GPA drops below a certain point.  As long as you maintain your grades above that level, you are fine.  With athletics, there is no hard cut off point like GPA.  It's much more subjective.  In addition, in athletics, your coaches are constantly trying to recruit and train talent to be better than you, potentially jeopardizing your chances of keeping your scholarship.  Those with academic scholarships usually don't get them taken away if someone with better grades enrolls.

Wooderson

What exactly is the cost of attendance?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

ricepig

Quote from: Wooderson on January 17, 2015, 04:33:08 pm
Historic moment: Power Five athletes will be paid beyond the traditional scholarship up to federally determined actual cost of attendance.

sowmonella

I would guess it would include room and board.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Wooderson

Ok I read up on this.  Some articles hinted that there could be discrepancies in what teams can offer dollar wise.  If that is the case I don't like it one bit.  I am for throwing athletes a bone, but think it should be a set amount across the board.

The article also mentioned that none of the new rules are mandatory.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

ricepig

Quote from: Wooderson on January 17, 2015, 04:46:58 pm
Ok I read up on this.  Some articles hinted that there could be discrepancies in what teams can offer dollar wise.  If that is the case I don't like it one bit.  I am for throwing athletes a bone, but think it should be a set amount across the board.

The article also mentioned that none of the new rules are mandatory.

Writer from Austin said Texass' would be between $4500-$5000.

WorfHog

longbore

The bag man will now have to negotiate severance pay.

RD

The one thing this will lead to that makes some of us happy is the reinstating of NCAA Football video game genre

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2015, 03:28:36 pm
Other votes:

Power 5 vote to prevent colleges from cutting players for athletic reasons. 50-29-1 is the vote. SEC voted against 11-2, I believe.

Four-year guaranteed scholarships passes, SEC and Big 12 voted against

Recruiting correctly just became that much more important. Also, could likely prevent someone from taking chances on certain kids.

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: RD on January 17, 2015, 05:04:22 pm
The one thing this will lead to that makes some of us happy is the reinstating of NCAA Football video game genre

Yes, please.

Three and Snout

Quote from: WorfHog on January 17, 2015, 04:52:52 pm
http://finaid.uark.edu/25.php

Full grant in aid scholarships ("full rides" like football and basketball) previously covered everything except the transportation and personal expenses.  Now they can pay those components as well.

younghog

GO HOGS

Rocky Mountain Living

Good for the Student Athletes.   

I also like how all schools will be paying the players the same amount.   Great Day!   

I wonder who will be eligible?   

I assume basketball, baseball, football, track and field programs at Arkansas will be "voluntarily" signing their student athletes up for pay for play?

Softball?  Women's basketball?

Every mens' and womens' sports in the Big 5 conferences?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Wooderson on January 17, 2015, 04:33:08 pm
Obviously the cost of attendance beyond tuition and fees varies widely from student to student. My cost of attendance was extremely low because I had to pay for college myself by working part time jobs year 'round and I was usually broke.

I had friends who spent much more than I did on things like food, lodging & entertainment.

Scholarship athletes get the same for room & board but they don't necessarily spend the same. It's not uncommon for some scholarship athletes to have virtually no money beyond what's provided by their scholarship. Others are heavily subsidized by parents and or relatives.

A cost of attendance scholarship is designed to even out this discrepancy. It will provide benefits beyond room, board and tuition.

There was a Razorback years ago who rarely left his dorm room except to eat, go to class and participate in required team activities. His teammates thought he was a stuck up loner. Finally one of then said something to him and he told the guy that he was embarrassed to hang out with them in his spare time because he had no money at all. He didn't want to be a charity case so he avoided his teammates socially.

Bacons Rebellion

The days of coaches pressuring profs to give passing grades will change to the days of coaches pressuring profs to give failing grades.

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on January 17, 2015, 05:33:52 pm
The days of coaches pressuring profs to give passing grades will change to the days of coaches pressuring profs to give failing grades.

you will see a rise in medical hardships...   If an athlete isn't producing on the field...rest assured that scholarship will be converted over to a guaranteed medical scholarship

Analagous to how NFL teams (Ted Thompson) stashes developmental prospects on IR for early season injuries.

Calling All Hogs

I don't see this turning into a situation where a player gets a scholarship and then doesn't put out effort but demands his right to four years of school. The students we recruit have options to go other places and it is unlikely a player will stay if coaches make it clear they don't want him around.

PigTimePlayer

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 17, 2015, 06:13:51 pm
I don't see this turning into a situation where a player gets a scholarship and then doesn't put out effort but demands his right to four years of school. The students we recruit have options to go other places and it is unlikely a player will stay if coaches make it clear they don't want him around.

Joe Schad tweeted something to that effect. he envisioned conversations like "You can stay on scholarship but you won't every play a down here again". They could be relegated to scout teamers, never get to travel, etc. Wouldn't be a lot of fun when you could transfer somewhere and play.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2015, 05:58:40 pm
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/01/17/ncaa-convention-cost-of-attendance-student-athletes-scholarships/21921073/

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Power-5-pass-full-cost-of-attendance-What-does-it-mean

NCAA FUBAR'ed this decision.  I bet there will be some people complaining about the line being drawn in the sand regards to eligibility for additional $$$

Only Men's basketball and football players eligible for additional $$$ via their athletic scholarships.

Pork Twain

I am happy the scholarship is for four years.  Prevents teams from being so shady
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

woodhog14

Quote from: sowmonella on January 17, 2015, 04:44:57 pm

Their scholarships already include room and board.

oldhawg

How does this impact players who might be dismissed for "violation of team rules?"

ricepig

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on January 17, 2015, 06:35:55 pm
NCAA FUBAR'ed this decision.  I bet there will be some people complaining about the line being drawn in the sand regards to eligibility for additional $$$

Only Men's basketball and football players eligible for additional $$$ via their athletic scholarships.

You put this in the thread in recruiting, it doesn't eliminate any sport, only says that they don't have to do it for every sport, big difference.

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: oldhawg on January 17, 2015, 06:54:37 pm
How does this impact players who might be dismissed for "violation of team rules?"

Pulled Scholarship....more than likely depending on the violation.   NCAA has case by case authority. (Nothing really ever changes)

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2015, 07:02:53 pm
You put this in the thread in recruiting, it doesn't eliminate any sport, only says that they don't have to do it for every sport, big difference.

So Baseball and Women's basketball players are eligible for this new program is how you interrupt the PR?

I interrupt it differently.

Imagine if this was up for debate?  WOW  24 hr News channels would have had a field day with this not-so-black-and-white issue.

No coincidence on the series of events leading up tonight's Press Release is one man's opinion. 

ricepig

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on January 17, 2015, 07:07:16 pm
So Baseball and Women's basketball players are eligible for this new program is how you interrupt the PR?

I interrupt it differently.

Imagine if this was up for debate?  WOW  24 hr News channels would have had a field day with this not so black and white issue.

No coincidence on the series of events leading up tonight's is one man's opinion. 
The change occurred under new governance setup that allows the Atlantic Coast, Big 12, Big Ten, Pacific-12 and Southeastern conferences greater autonomy in rules making. The vote by the 65 schools and 15 athlete representatives -- three from each of the five conferences – allows, but does not require, all Division I schools to award these so-called cost-of-attendance scholarships in all sports.

Allows, not requires for all sports.

longpig

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on January 17, 2015, 05:33:52 pm
lol
funny but true
Don't be scared, be smart.

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2015, 07:08:48 pm
The change occurred under new governance setup that allows the Atlantic Coast, Big 12, Big Ten, Pacific-12 and Southeastern conferences greater autonomy in rules making. The vote by the 65 schools and 15 athlete representatives -- three from each of the five conferences – allows, but does not require, all Division I schools to award these so-called cost-of-attendance scholarships in all sports.

Allows, not requires for all sports.

Thanks.  No big 5 school is required to pay the Men's Basketball and Football players additional $$$ with this new program

(I hope Texass and every school in the SEC doesn't take advantage of this "allowed" program in basketball/football....lol)

I hope this benefit will be stripped away by the NCAA from schools caught cheating by abusing this new program for additional $$$ (I am referring to Aubarn mostly!) 

What a fumble by the NCAA all day long.

WilsonHog

I doubt very many D-I athletes will be concerned enough about getting a college education that they'll be willing to sit on the bench for four or five years to do it.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 17, 2015, 07:29:14 pm
I doubt very many D-I athletes will be concerned enough about getting a college education that they'll be willing to sit on the bench for four or five years to do it.

Very many is the key words, there will be some that don't cut the mustard and like the school and academics they are receiving. I fine with them staying on scholarship.

ChicoHog

Quote from: sowmonella on January 17, 2015, 04:44:57 pm
Already includes that.  Now will include other subjective costs.  it will be more for Cal and Stanford for example than it will be for Iowa because of geographical costs of living.

MuskogeeHogFan

Here's the ESPN story on that which passed and that which didn't.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12185230/power-5-conferences-pass-cost-attendance-measure-ncaa-autonomy-begins

Several of the student-athlete representatives spoke passionately against the proposal that prohibits the removal of a scholarship for athletic performance. They argued that such a rule could inhibit team chemistry and undermine coaches' authority.

"People forget that it is our job to perform," Florida baseball player Josh Tobias said.

Ultimately, the scholarship proposal passed by three votes after receiving late support in the discussion period.

North Carolina State athletic director and former basketball coach Debbie Yow said all coaches make mistakes in recruiting.

"That is no reason to take their scholarship," Yow said.

Of course this doesn't mean that a student-athlete has to be retained on a team for the full four years, only that once signed, their scholarship cannot be pulled. This should certainly put greater pressure on coaching staffs to do a more thorough job of evaluation of each recruit prior to offering a scholarship.
Go Hogs Go!

OldCoot

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2015, 07:34:32 pm
Very many is the key words, there will be some that don't cut the mustard and like the school and academics they are receiving. I fine with them staying on scholarship.

I am perfectly ok with us living up to our promise to give a kid what we promised.  An education.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RD on January 17, 2015, 05:04:22 pm

Cannot find NCAA 14 in the stores AT ALL..! Can't wait for 16 or 17 to come out again. I really hope EA Sports brings it back...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.