Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dave Warner MSU

Started by JackJohnson, January 17, 2015, 08:26:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

Just got his post season raise- now makes 387k- which is still 163k less than chaney made last year so he is definitely affordable.  Is my favorite of all the names thrown around and could give him over a 200k raise while only going up 50k on what we paid chaney last year if we bumped the OC pay here to 600k

However- he has been with Dantonio for a very long time so money may not be a major factor with him.  While he is the play caller- he does have to share the OC title and while he has been RB coach the past couple of years has an extensive background with QBs and who knows may be enticed to get that role back

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/01/16/msu-football-narduzzi-warner-salaries/21883199/

IBleedRazorbackRed

Would take it in a heartbeat

Pro style offense: check
Long history of working with qb's: check
Recruits the south: check

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Wooderson

Me too.  MSU runs a nice offense. 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

DEVIL DOG HOG

When posting about MSU, one might want to put North or South to end confusion about Michigan State and Mississippi State.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

longpig

January 17, 2015, 08:56:43 am #5 Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:36:47 am by longpig
Did I read that right and Warner's one of three co coordinators?  I can't wrap my brain around how the two co coordinator setup works, let alone three.
Don't be scared, be smart.

tophawg19

title only . you can give more raises based on titles
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HOGINTENNESSEE

Number 1 guy on my board.

The hard problem with running our style of offense is the ability to come from behind to win. After watching the Baylor game I has no such fears about that with Warner

Hawgzinbowlz

...MSU's other co-offensive coordinator, Jim Bollman, is up $38,230 to a base salary of $378,230. That's the same salary as MSU's new co-defensive coordinators, Harlon Barnett and Mike Tressel. Barnett and Tressel share the largest bumps in compensation – both up $138,240 from $240,000 in base pay...

Not a fan of co-coordinators and Michigan State has both offensive and defensive co-coordinators. Too many chiefs. Typically one coordinator, with 'the buck stops here', in place. Find the right guy and delegate that side of the ball.
I like both the offensive and defensive philosophy of Michigan State, and how they blend. We should be able to recruit as well, or better, than the Spartans, and Jeff will certainly spring for more money than Warner is receiving, if CBB wants him.
An offer of 100,000.00-200,000.00 more per year may get his attention, if CBB goes that direction. That would be in our typical pricing structure while letting his wife and family have more disposable income.

" GO HOGS "

tophawg19

which called the plays ? how is his overall ranking

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 17, 2015, 09:23:24 am
which called the plays ? how is his overall ranking

Warner called the plays. Not sure what you mean by ranking?

Hawgzinbowlz

WardamnHOGGLE

That's like 2 million in Mississippi.

longpig

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 17, 2015, 09:03:57 am
title only . you can give more raises based on titles
I get that when one of the 'co' coordinators is getting paid half again or more what the others are and the others obvious main job is as a position coach, but in MSU's case the pay scale suggests shared ownership of the offense because none of the three to five offensive co coordinators are listed as position coaches.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 17, 2015, 08:26:25 am
Just got his post season raise- now makes 387k- which is still 163k less than chaney made last year so he is definitely affordable.  Is my favorite of all the names thrown around and could give him over a 200k raise while only going up 50k on what we paid chaney last year if we bumped the OC pay here to 600k

However- he has been with Dantonio for a very long time so money may not be a major factor with him.  While he is the play caller- he does have to share the OC title and while he has been RB coach the past couple of years has an extensive background with QBs and who knows may be enticed to get that role back

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/01/16/msu-football-narduzzi-warner-salaries/21883199/

At first, I thought he might be a good candidate. But the truth is, he never has produced a very dynamic offense, until this season. Yes, he has a background primarily as a QB Coach, but I think he has only been an OC at one other place other than Michigan State and it wasn't at a P-5 school. This is his second year as a Co-OC at Mich State.

2013-#80 total offense
2014-#11 total offense

That's a substantial jump without a doubt and had we averaged 500.8 yards per game this year, with our defensive improvement, there isn't any doubt that we would have won more games. Could he replicate that in the SEC?

He might be the guy for the job, I'm just not sure. But if he is, he will have more weapons available to him than he has at Mich State.
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 17, 2015, 09:28:38 am
Warner called the plays. Not sure what you mean by ranking?
sorry should have been recruiting

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 17, 2015, 09:58:21 am
sorry should have been recruiting

Because he's the oc, he's listed as a secondary recruiter on alot of guys so its hard to tell which ones he actually brought in. He does recruit Georgia for Michigan State tho.

http://247sports.com/Coach/Dave-Warner-104

tophawg19

Southern ties are a plus. especially GA. because we usually get 1 or2 good ones a year there .

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2015, 09:44:15 am
At first, I thought he might be a good candidate. But the truth is, he never has produced a very dynamic offense, until this season. Yes, he has a background primarily as a QB Coach, but I think he has only been an OC at one other place other than Michigan State and it wasn't at a P-5 school. This is his second year as a Co-OC at Mich State.

2013-#80 total offense
2014-#11 total offense

That's a substantial jump without a doubt and had we averaged 500.8 yards per game this year, with our defensive improvement, there isn't any doubt that we would have won more games. Could he replicate that in the SEC?

He might be the guy for the job, I'm just not sure. But if he is, he will have more weapons available to him than he has at Mich State.

When you look at how the offense performed in 2012 before he started calling plays, you'll see that they improved in nearly all categories.

2012 passing: 52.5 comp%  209.9 yards/game  1.1 td/game
2013 passing: 57.7 comp% 211.7 yards/game  1.6 td/game
2014 passing: 59 comp%  265.6 yards/game  2 td/game

2012 rushing: 3.9 yrds/carry  149.4 yrds/game  1 td/game
2013 rushing: 4.3 yrds/carry  173.8 yrds/game  1.6 td/game
2014 rushing: 5.1 yrds/carry  235.2 yrds/game  3.4 td/game

tophawg19

looks like the scoring took a huge jump

JackJohnson

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 17, 2015, 10:07:41 am
Because he's the oc, he's listed as a secondary recruiter on alot of guys so its hard to tell which ones he actually brought in. He does recruit Georgia for Michigan State tho.

http://247sports.com/Coach/Dave-Warner-104

If we wanted an upgrade in recruiting that should have been done with the RB and/or WR spot. 

I want my OC to be a superb game planner and playcaller and preferably QB guru and as long as they can get me one big time QB a year anything else they do in recruiting is a bonus

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 17, 2015, 10:24:16 am
If we wanted an upgrade in recruiting that should have been done with the RB and/or WR spot. 

I want my OC to be a superb game planner and playcaller and preferably QB guru and as long as they can get me one big time QB a year anything else they do in recruiting is a bonus

Basically how I feel about it too. Calling plays and developing qb is most important. Everything else is gravy.

LSPRazorbac

Dave Warner is #1 on my wish list.

His style seems like it would fit CBB perfectly!

PigTimePlayer

Looks like he would be a great candidate . . . has his name actually appeared anywhere as a potential, or are we just picking him out of the air?  8 years investment at Mich St, good success, got a raise, probably pretty happy - looks like a long shot to me.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on January 17, 2015, 10:52:04 am
Looks like he would be a great candidate . . . has his name actually appeared anywhere as a potential, or are we just picking him out of the air?  8 years investment at Mich St, good success, got a raise, probably pretty happy - looks like a long shot to me.

I think he is just top of alot of peoples wish list.  Who knows if either parties are interested or have talked.

PigTimePlayer

Quote from: theenemy on January 17, 2015, 10:54:39 am
I think he is just top of alot of peoples wish list.  Who knows if either parties are interested or have talked.

that's what I thought . . . no leaks anymore, nobody knows anything. Will probably just happen real quick, swoop down out of nowhere.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 17, 2015, 10:24:16 am

I agree with this, but I prefer a dedicated QB Coach who works hand in hand with the OC. That's an OC in training. I wonder if Lunney wasn't an OC in training, why else would you have him next to Chaney up in the box? Not just because he was the TE coach.

But then if it was me (and obviously it wasn't) I would have had Chaney coaching TE's as he had before and had Lunney as the QB Coach.

Seems that a lot of folks have forgotten that Chaney made the statement at one time (or words to the effect) that he didn't mess with a QB's throwing motion or footwork because if a kid was signed to play QB at this level, he already knew how to throw the ball. That was a huge red flag to me from the beginning. Every college player needs coaching and development, sometimes especially QB's.

What I hope is that we get the kind of OC that you are talking about and that they move Lunney to coaching the QB's.
Go Hogs Go!

hog_fan

Not many TE's end up as OC's. I think OC will coach QB's. I prefer QB coach be on the field.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hog_fan on January 17, 2015, 11:13:19 am
Not many TE's end up as OC's. I think OC will coach QB's. I prefer QB coach be on the field.

If you read above, the point was, there apparently wasn't a lot of coaching/development of QB's going on with Chaney because he didn't believe in it. Additionally, how do you go two seasons without a developed #2 at QB?

That's why I want a dedicated QB coach who knows something about playing the position or who has been successful doing so before.
Go Hogs Go!

jackflash

As long as the next OC can recruit and install a better passing attack to go along with the run. I don't care who he is or where he comes from.

online-with-swine

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2015, 11:03:11 am
I agree with this, but I prefer a dedicated QB Coach who works hand in hand with the OC. That's an OC in training. I wonder if Lunney wasn't an OC in training, why else would you have him next to Chaney up in the box? Not just because he was the TE coach.

But then if it was me (and obviously it wasn't) I would have had Chaney coaching TE's as he had before and had Lunney as the QB Coach.

Seems that a lot of folks have forgotten that Chaney made the statement at one time (or words to the effect) that he didn't mess with a QB's throwing motion or footwork because if a kid was signed to play QB at this level, he already knew how to throw the ball. That was a huge red flag to me from the beginning. Every college player needs coaching and development, sometimes especially QB's.

What I hope is that we get the kind of OC that you are talking about and that they move Lunney to coaching the QB's.

This what I have been wondering as well.  Bring a qb guru in like Wienke, helps with Florida recruiting, and have Lunney as the OC.  Makes for a smooth transition to the new OC.

hog_fan

I seriously doubt Lunney is next OC. I know the rivals board loves them some Barry Lunney. I just don't see him promoting anyone.

longpig

Seems that a lot of folks have forgotten that Chaney made the statement at one time (or words to the effect) that he didn't mess with a QB's throwing motion or footwork because if a kid was signed to play QB at this level, he already knew how to throw the ball. That was a huge red flag to me from the beginning.
I can't imagine a more idiotic thing for an OC to say

tophawg19

No cause even Tiger Woods has coaches to help him. it's important to check fundamentals such as technique , footwork , and throwing motion. it's easy to get sloppy as the season goes on.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hog_fan on January 17, 2015, 12:15:45 pm
I seriously doubt Lunney is next OC. I know the rivals board loves them some Barry Lunney. I just don't see him promoting anyone.

Surely, Lunney is pushing for more responsibility.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

HOGINTENNESSEE

Seems that a lot of folks have forgotten that Chaney made the statement at one time (or words to the effect) that he didn't mess with a QB's throwing motion or footwork because if a kid was signed to play QB at this level, he already knew how to throw the ball. That was a huge red flag to me from the beginning.

He didn't say he won't work on footwork. Just throwing motion.

But IMO have a coach for just TE's is dumb. Every offense should have as dedicated QB coach.

Styflin

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 17, 2015, 01:16:43 pm

But IMO have a coach for just TE's is dumb. Every offense should have as dedicated QB coach.

I think we should have a dedicated Special Teams coach as well.

lefty08

I personally don't want a dedicated QB coach. Seems like a waste of a coach to me
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Wooderson

I think we should have a qb coach, but I agree with Chaney's comments on messing with a throwing motion.  A throwing motion is like a golf swing.  It can be done a thousand different ways and none of them are right.  Now for throwing, footwork is huge.  I guarantee that as Chaney was talking to Brandon after a series if he saw him throwing off his back foot he would say something.

These kids go to clinics and tweak their throwing motion.  In the middle of a game is not the time to be working on that.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Pork Twain

Quote from: lefty08 on January 17, 2015, 01:59:44 pm
I personally don't want a dedicated QB coach. Seems like a waste of a coach to me
I would rather have a dedicated qb coach than many other positions
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: lefty08 on January 17, 2015, 01:59:44 pm

Really? On game day when the OC should be coming up with in game adjustments you don't think there needs to be a coach over to the side keeping the most important player on offense's head straight?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 17, 2015, 01:16:43 pm

They both contribute to greater efficiency at the position. I want a dedicated QB coach that actually coaches QB's.
Go Hogs Go!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2015, 02:42:41 pm
They both contribute to greater efficiency at the position. I want a dedicated QB coach that actually coaches QB's.

Do they at the college level? Didn't make a difference for Phillip Rivers at NC State. Or Aaron Rodgers at Cal.

I can see the argument both ways. In college there are only so many hours a coach can spend with these kids. CBP put a lot of time into throwing motion. But even he would be the first to say Tyler's ability to break fundementals and still throw an accurate pass was special

lefty08

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 17, 2015, 02:13:48 pm
Really? On game day when the OC should be coming up with in game adjustments you don't think there needs to be a coach over to the side keeping the most important player on offense's head straight?

really. The head coach can keep his qbs head on straight(if you think thats needed) Qbs can be coached up by another position coach imo. Usually its the OC. you only play 1 QB per game, why have a coach dedicated to 1 player, just doesnt seem efficient to me

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: lefty08 on January 17, 2015, 03:27:10 pm
really. The head coach can keep his qbs head on straight(if you think thats needed) Qbs can be coached up by another position coach imo. Usually its the OC. you only play 1 QB per game, why have a coach dedicated to 1 player, just doesnt seem efficient to me

I may not be efficient in quantity. But without a good QB play no offense is efficient. It's the most important position on the field.

lefty08

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 17, 2015, 03:44:26 pm
I may not be efficient in quantity. But without a good QB play no offense is efficient. It's the most important position on the field.

Agreed, that's why u let a coordinator handle them in practice, not devote a 300k salary to that position. Again this is just my OPINION, apparently looking at the staff we had last year, BB agrees

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: lefty08 on January 17, 2015, 04:12:55 pm
Agreed, that's why u let a coordinator handle them in practice, not devote a 300k salary to that position. Again this is just my OPINION, apparently looking at the staff we had last year, BB agrees
I personally would rather have a QB position coach than a TE position coach.  I know it's only one player (hopefully) each game, but it's also, by far, the most complex position on the field.  A QB has more areas of their game that they can work on than any other player, therefore, more opportunities for improvement. Plus, we now have 4, count em, FOUR, 4* QB's on the Hill (man, that feels good to say), so that's four legit QB's, with different skill sets that need to be developed.  BA really seemed to learn a lot from Weinke last summer, and I would LOVE to see us give him a shot.  Having him coach only QB's would also help to transition him into the college game and give us in-roads to Florida and IMG.  Just my .02.

Edit:  For the record, I disagree with the posters that say we did not have a back up ready to play.  I thought AA did just fine when he went in against Ole Miss.  That being said, for those who do believe that we did not have a viable #2, a dedicated QB coach should definitely be on your wishlist IMHO.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: lefty08 on January 17, 2015, 04:12:55 pm

I understand it's your opinion clearly you are not alone. CBB has never had Qb only coach as a HC

hog_fan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 17, 2015, 07:10:48 pm
I understand it's your opinion clearly you are not alone. CBB has never has a Qb coach as a HC

Link to prove this. I doubt coach even calls this guy. He is likely at MSU for awhile.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hog_fan on January 17, 2015, 07:12:51 pm
Link to prove this. I doubt coach even calls this guy. He is likely at MSU for awhile.

Link to prove what? That CBB has never has QB only coach?

https://wisconsin.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=56

You can change the year and see every coach on staff. Paul C was OC/QB and then Matt Canada and Jim Chaney were OC/QB as well.