Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OC Coach Hiring Template

Started by TazorTusk, January 15, 2015, 09:02:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TazorTusk

January 15, 2015, 09:02:27 pm Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:13:42 am by TazorTusk
Like many of you, I find myself checking with HV several times daily trying to get news of who we will be hiring.  If you would like, here is something to ponder as we wait.

Your job is to advise CBB how to go about hiring the next OC.  What criteria would you recommend?

Here's a list I've jotted down, but I'm interested in what you would delete or add.  I'm also curious in what order you would rate these.

Feel free to evaluate any of the names put forth as candidates for OC based on this template.

I. Coaching Ability

IQ
   "Play calling ability . I want an OC that can see whats taking place on the field and translate it into his play
   calling." --Qadi999 

Knowledge & Experience - Positions formerly played or coached.  Offensive systems with which he has familiarity.
                                         NFL, College or HS resume.
   Ability to communicate with and motivate players and get on the field performance.
   Ability to develop talent.
   Ability read defenses and make game time adjustments.

II. Recruiting Ability

Ability to communicate with prospects and parents and get commitments.
   Geographic background / Networking contacts.

III. Work Ethic

IV. Personality.

Ability to mesh with CBB and current staff.

V. Image

Ability to project winning image with the press.

VI.  Technological Savvy

Familiarity with social media / texting.

VII. Familiarity with the SEC

VIII.  Salary Expectation

Affordability.

IX. Expected Duration of Employment

X. Marital Status

Spouse's attitude toward job responsibilities.

XI.  Resume Integrity

Qadi999

The number 1 thing I would be looking for is play calling ability . I want an
OC that can see whats taking place on the field and translate it into his play calling . To me this was the major problem with JC.

Rzback

Quote from: Qadi999 on January 16, 2015, 02:01:12 am
The number 1 thing I would be looking for is play calling ability . I want an
OC that can see whats taking place on the field and translate it into his play calling . To me this was the major problem with JC.
That narrows it down to 3
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

MuskogeeHogFan

Ideally, I think we would want an OC whose offensive philosophy blends well with the system that we already have in place, in order to minimize the learning curve for the team. To what degree that is possible, we will see. Rarely are any two coaches exactly alike in their philosophy so this may be difficult to achieve, especially with the field that might want to interview.

Beyond that I think we want someone who is a teacher and is really good at breaking down opponents game film, finding their weaknesses and developing an effective game plan that provides us with the edge. Additionally, someone who has the ability to set up called plays, thinking 3 to 5 plays in advance and can make effective adjustments as the game rolls on.

And of course, someone who is a great recruiter, can identify and target the talent that we need that best fits our system, and can make a positive and persuasive connection with those kids that we are pursung.

JMO
Go Hogs Go!

TazorTusk

Quote from: TazorTusk on January 15, 2015, 09:02:27 pm
Like many of you, I find myself checking with HV several times daily trying to get news of who we will be hiring.  If you would like, here is something to ponder as we wait.

Your job is to advise CBB how to go about hiring the next OC.  What criteria would you recommend?

Here's a list I've jotted down, but I'm interested in what you would delete or add.  I'm also curious in what order you would rate these.

Feel free to evaluate any of the names put forth as candidates for OC based on this template.

I. Coaching Ability

IQ
   "Play calling ability . I want an OC that can see whats taking place on the field and translate it into his play
   calling." --Qadi999 

Knowledge & Experience - Positions formerly played or coached.  Offensive systems with which     
   he has familiarity.  NFL, College or HS resume.
   "Ideally, I think we would want an OC whose offensive philosophy blends well with the
    system that we already have in place, in order to minimize the learning curve for the
    team." - MuskogeeHogFan

Ability to communicate with and motivate players and get on the field performance.  "We want   
   someone who is a teacher and is really good at breaking down opponents game film, finding their
   weaknesses and developing an effective game plan that provides us with the edge." -       
   MuskogeeHogFan

Ability read defenses and make game time adjustments. "Someone who has the ability to set up
   called plays, thinking 3 to 5 plays in advance and can make effective adjustments as the game rolls 
   on." - MuskogeeHogFan

II. Recruiting Ability

Ability to communicate with prospects and parents and get commitments.  "Someone who is a great
   recruiter, can identify and target the talent that we need that best fits our system, and can make a
   positive and persuasive connection with those kids that we are pursung. - MuskogeeHogFan

III. Work Ethic

IV. Personality.

V. Image

VI.  Technological Savvy

Affordability.

X. Marital Status

Spouse's attitude toward job responsibilities.

XI.  Resume Integrity

TazorTusk

I attempted to edit my original post to include Qadi999's and MuskogeeHogFan's comments.  Sorry if this confused some of you.

Will not have time to check back most of today, but if other comments are forthcoming, may try to edit the template later to include these.

Tazor

Tim Harris

Here are the things I would like to see in the next hire.

1.  A QB coach - I don't care if it is college or NFL experience but I want someone that has spent their career working with QBs.  Don't give me someone who has spent most of their career coaching something else with a couple of years coaching QBs sprinkled in there.

2.  Experience in a pro style run heavy offense.  Bielema isn't changing to the spread so no reason to get an OC that has spent their career running that type of offense.  I want someone whose philosophy matches up with Coach B and doesn't have to go through a "learning process"

3.  Young coach who can relate to college kids

4.  Solid recruiter preferably with experience recruiting in the south but don't really care since QBs would be all he is looking for.

Inhogswetrust

X is an illegal topic to ask about during interviews.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawgboy64

I have said it before, I want the college version of Norv Turner when he was with Jimmy Johnson at Dallas.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

Lake City Hog

I tend to agree with Muskee, I want an OC that can develop a game plan to either take advantage of some match-ups or even better, devise a game plan to create some of those match-ups.

I want an OC that has worked with QB's exclusively for many years or was a QB in college. A guy that can teach our guys what to look for, keys to read and maybe even teach some physical fundamental aspects of the position.

I think that a guy with basic Pro Style roots will be a run 1st guy, but still know how and when to incorporate the pass. I want a guy that uses the the pass route just as much as the Wr's physical ability to create the separation that we hear about so much. 99% of the teams in America use some type of pick/rub routes effectively. I have even seen some teams use the officials to rub off the coverage!

Success on the field will help tremendously with recruiting, so his recruiting prowess would not be as important to me.

jackflash

I agree with all these posts. I would like to add one thing. I want a OC who make the defense move. Get them out of 7-8 men fronts to give the running game a chance.

TazorTusk

Okay.  Here's a condensation of our template so far.  Other suggestions welcomed.

Tazor

I. Coaching Ability

IQ

Knowledge & Experience - Positions formerly played or coached.  Offensive systems with which     
   he has familiarity.  NFL, College or HS resume.

"A QB coach - I don't care if it is college or NFL experience but I want someone that has spent their career working with QBs."  - Tim Harris

"I want an OC that has worked with QB's exclusively for many years or was a QB in college. A guy that can teach our guys what to look for, keys to read and maybe even teach some physical fundamental aspects of the position." - Lake City Hog

"Ideally, I think we would want an OC whose offensive philosophy blends well with the
  system that we already have in place, in order to minimize the learning curve for the
  team." - MuskogeeHogFan

"Experience in a pro style run heavy offense. ....  I want someone whose philosophy matches up with Coach B and doesn't have to go through a 'learning process"' - Tim Harris

"I want an OC that can develop a game plan to either take advantage of some match-ups or even better, devise a game plan to create some of those match-ups." - Lake City Hog

"I think that a guy with basic Pro Style roots will be a run 1st guy, but still know how and when to incorporate the pass. I want a guy that uses the pass route just as much as the Wr's physical ability to create the separation that we hear about so much. 99% of the teams in America use some type of pick/rub routes effectively. I have even seen some teams use the officials to rub off the coverage!" - Lake City Hog

"I have said it before, I want the college version of Norv Turner when he was with Jimmy Johnson at Dallas." - Hawgboy64

Ability to communicate with and motivate players and get on the field performance. 

"We want someone who is a teacher and is really good at breaking down opponents game film, finding their weaknesses and developing an effective game plan that provides us with the edge." -   MuskogeeHogFan

Ability read defenses and make game time adjustments.

"Someone who has the ability to set up called plays, thinking 3 to 5 plays in advance and can make effective adjustments as the game rolls on." - MuskogeeHogFan

"Play calling ability. I want an OC that can see what's taking place on the field and translate it into his play calling." --Qadi999

"I want a OC who make the defense move. Get them out of 7-8 men fronts to give the running
game a chance." - Jakcflash

II. Recruiting Ability

Ability to communicate with prospects and parents and get commitments.

"Someone who is a great recruiter, can identify and target the talent that we need that best fits our system, and can make a positive and persuasive connection with those kids that we are pursung. – MuskogeeHogFan
"Solid recruiter preferably with experience recruiting in the south but don't really care since QBs would be all he is looking for." - Tim Harris

"Young coach who can relate to college kids." - Tim Harris

III. Work Ethic

IV. Personality.

V. Image

VI.  Technological Savvy

Affordability.

X. Marital Status

Spouse's attitude toward job responsibilities. (We don't ask about this; we listen.)

XI.  Resume Integrity