Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Leavitt

Started by IBleedRazorbackRed, January 15, 2015, 07:54:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IBleedRazorbackRed

Some "insiders" think he's a realistic option at linebacker coach. Thoughts?

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Oliver

Would be a home run hire for LB coach

jackflash

I don't how realistic it is. But I think it would be a good hire

grayhawg

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 15, 2015, 07:54:32 pm
Not sure about him after this.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4807719

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

jrulz83

Quote from: grayhawg on January 15, 2015, 07:57:18 pm
Not sure about him after this.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4807719

Cue the integrity goes a Long way and win at all costs crowds.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

lefty08

Isn't he really old? And didn't he have ncaa troubles?
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

jackflash

Heck Bobby Knight was worse and he got another chance

HogFanatic

I don't like his last name.
Maybe we need to leavitt alone?

lefty08

Quote from: jackflash on January 15, 2015, 08:01:17 pm
Heck Bobby Knight was worse and he got another chance

Knight is an all-time hall of fame coach, this guy is just Jim

SwineGrind

Yes please. I said his name as soon as the spot was abandoned.

Redbug

IBleedRazorbackRed

Supposedly those allegations ended ub being false and the kid's dad even took back everything. I bet the stain would still be there in recruiting and other schools would definitely try to use it against us. I think its a risk worth taking tho.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Hell of a coach that got too worked up and went too far. USF did the right thing but  he built that program from dirt. Slapping the kid around would be used against him in recruiting. Fiery guy but a bit long in the tooth.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

longpig

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 15, 2015, 08:05:20 pm
Supposedly those allegations ended ub being false and the kid's dad even took back everything. I bet the stain would still be there in recruiting and other schools would definitely try to use it against us. I think its a risk worth taking tho.
Not exactly
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-settles-ex-coach-jim-leavitts-lawsuit-for-275-million/1144945
Don't be scared, be smart.

JackJohnson

IMO I would go the opposite route with the LB coach hire.  As we know Smith has a lot of experience coaching LBs, and CBB is a LB coach by trade as that was the position he always coached until he became a HC.  We need to make this hire a lights out recruiter and if they are a little lacking in coaching we have two ace coaches to help out if need be

jackflash

Jack Johnson I agree with you. We need to find the two best recruiter we can and go from there

Hawg Life

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 15, 2015, 07:54:32 pm

Rumor is he has interviewed.

MountainHomeHogger

He is a solid LB coach, and was a tremendous recruiter in the states of Florida and Texas.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Best hire we could make I think

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Wildhog

He's a great coach.

I worry about his perception in Florida, though. Especially with coaches and parents.  Doesn't really matter what the truth is.  Perception is all that matters.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

I think hiring guys from the NFL is a great idea for the hogs.  It allows us to say 'if you want to go to the NFL, we've got guys that know what it takes".

ldfergu

Also could possibly give u a guy on staff who could replace Rob Smith should the NFL come callin'

I do feel like Smith likes it here though

Tim Harris

[insert fart noise here]

That is my opinion on the guy

Hogarusa

Hmmmm, wouldn't really fit the mold of everything CBB preaches.  Tough to get past that reason for firing
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Roctavious

That stuff happened FIVE years ago. Can't people reform and redeem themselves?

Wildhog

Quote from: Roctavious on January 16, 2015, 06:06:12 pm

Sure they can.  Doesn't mean parents/coaches have forgotten about it.  And if you don't think opposing coaches will be using it against us, you're crazy.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wild Bill Hog

Not where Arkansas is concerned.

Lord of the Styes

Shouldn't we be recruiting players that can take a hit anyway?

Lake City Hog

I wonder just how many of our lives could withstand the scrutiny that coaches face? I also wonder if we would expect the forgiveness that so many of us are so reluctant to give?

Ain't it great to live in our own little insulated world and feel so justified in judging others?

I truly hope that some of you aren't judged in the same manner!

davispard

Quote from: Lord of the Styes on January 16, 2015, 09:10:51 pm
Now, that's COLD....  But I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dropkick

Statute of limitations should be up on that shirt.

SPAL

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 12:21:01 pm
He's a great coach.

I worry about his perception in Florida, though. Especially with coaches and parents.  Doesn't really matter what the truth is.  Perception is all that matters.

This exactly.

hoglady

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 15, 2015, 08:05:20 pm

The players father did back track and say Leavitt never struck his son and didn't grab him by the throat but by the shoulder pads.
The player said in his initial questioning that Leavitt didn't strike him and only grabbed him by his shoulder pads.
So who knows?
Ruined that coaches reputation anyway.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: hoglady on January 16, 2015, 10:22:32 pm
The players father did back track and say Leavitt never struck his son and didn't grab him by the throat but by the shoulder pads.
The player said in his initial questioning that Leavitt didn't strike him and only grabbed him by his shoulder pads.
So who knows?

And that's the tough part because the perception may still be there with the parents. You'd have to recruit against that every time. But I also feel like enough time has passed for that to be water under the bridge now. So who knows

Fatty McGee

Only if they come play (well) for the Hogs or join our coaching staff.  Otherwise they're unredeemable.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

MrThunderhog

would be a homerun hire of epic proportions
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Sir Oinksalot

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

LZH

Hog N Bama

Razorpigg

Quote from: Lord of the Styes on January 16, 2015, 09:10:51 pm

Now that's a good one....

Wooderson

Some people are pansies.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

LZH

Quote from: Wooderson on January 17, 2015, 08:25:12 am
Some people are pansies.

And some people wouldn't recognize trouble if it kissed them on the mouth.  He's no different than Bo Pelini.....a pr!ck.

No thank you.  Next, please.

Wooderson

George S Patton was the greatest American ever.  How would you classify him?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

GuvHog

Quote from: hoglady on January 16, 2015, 10:22:32 pm
So who knows?

Parents that would hold grabbing of a player by the pads against leavitt are being petty and childish. Coaches in High School football, College football, and the pros have been doing that for years. Leavitt is a pussycat compared to the late Vince Lombardi.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 15, 2015, 08:28:54 pm
IMO I would go the opposite route with the LB coach hire.  As we know Smith has a lot of experience coaching LBs, and CBB is a LB coach by trade as that was the position he always coached until he became a HC.  We need to make this hire a lights out recruiter and if they are a little lacking in coaching we have two ace coaches to help out if need be
I agree.  We need a Coach Pittman like recruiter on the D side of the ball. Smith or Jennings could groom a safeties or LB coach. 

lefty08

So now he's compared to Lombardi and the General, but those that would pass on Leavitt are [CENSORED]?   I get it

LZH

Quote from: Wooderson on January 17, 2015, 08:43:27 am
George S Patton was the greatest American ever.  How would you classify him?

He thought he had lived dozens of previous lives....he was a nut.  Greatest American ever?  My dad was in that war, so you may wanna think before you pop off something cute.