Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Third down conversions and national championships

Started by JIHawg, January 14, 2015, 11:28:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

A pattern I have noticed in recent years, going back to Cam Newton, is that national championships are won by quarterbacks who are good passers, but more importantly on third and ten, they can stay in the pocket for awhile seeing if anybody gets open, and then if no one is open, take off running and make a first down.

Some are fast, and some are bowling balls.

Is this the most underrated play in college football-on 3rd and ten, a quarterback stands in the pocket and then takes off running ten yards?

popcornhog

Converting on 3rd down is huge. Quarterbacks that can improvise with their feet make 3rd down D much tougher.

It's more the 3rd and mediums really than the 3rd and 10's that I notice being impacted in this context, but yeah, I agree.
WPS

redeye

Did AJ McCarron or Greg McElroy do that a lot?

Regardless, I'm comfortable with Allen's ability to scramble in those situations.  He'll never be Cam Newton or Jameis Winston, but he was pretty good at it late in the season.

Personally, I think that's been an often overlooked asset for SEC teams for a decade or more, but I don't think it's a necessity.  But it doesn't seem like you ever see many SEC QB's who can't scramble, as we had under Petrino.

Calling All Hogs

It seemed like BA was allowed to run more in the Texas game than usual. I'm guessing its because a potential injury would not cause problems for other games afterwards.

EastexHawg

There's nothing more damaging...or demoralizing...than not being able to get the opposing offense off the field on third down.

A lot of offenses today are so good that if you ever get them in a third and long you better force a punt.  If you don't the odds are they will score on that possession.

HawgTrough

Quote from: redeye on January 15, 2015, 01:08:41 am
Did AJ McCarron or Greg McElroy do that a lot?

Regardless, I'm comfortable with Allen's ability to scramble in those situations.  He'll never be Cam Newton or Jameis Winston, but he was pretty good at it late in the season.

Personally, I think that's been an often overlooked asset for SEC teams for a decade or more, but I don't think it's a necessity.  But it doesn't seem like you ever see many SEC QB's who can't scramble, as we had under Petrino.

Jameis isn't a runner.
WPS

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HawgTrough on January 15, 2015, 12:17:20 pm
Jameis isn't a runner.

Yeah, he couldn't outrun a a bagger at a grocery store while carrying a half pound of crablegs.
This is my non-signature signature.

HawgTrough

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 15, 2015, 12:29:08 pm
Yeah, he couldn't outrun a a bagger at a grocery store while carrying a half pound of crablegs.

with a career 2 YPC, I can't believe he thought he'd make it out the door
WPS

gawntrail

Mobile QBs worry me on 3rd down.

Big bruising mobile QBs scare me to death on 3rd down.