Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joel Thomas signs extension, per UA

Started by Fayettechill14, January 14, 2015, 04:19:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansas Fan

For a team that relies on the running game so much, our RBs fumbled way too much.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 14, 2015, 04:26:39 pm
Not everyone. Just those who wanted Chaney, Thomas and Smith gone.

MikeIrwin, it's a good thing Chaney left. Many in Arkansas celebrated when the news of his departure happened.

LRHawg

Quote from: Wooderson on January 14, 2015, 04:55:53 pm
How many fumbles did our rbs have the past two years?  I don't know the exact number but it was way too many. Couple this with recruiting and I don't think he is getting the job done. Obviously coach does though. Hope those two areas improve.

Here's this last year. the far left number is the rank out of the top 100 fumblers, with all positions except RB excluded.

12    Jarvion Franklin    Western Michigan Broncos                 RB    9
21    Marcus Cox    Appalachian State Mountaineers         RB    8
32    Josh Ferguson    Illinois Fighting Illini                                RB    7
32    Jay Ajayi    Boise State Broncos                                   RB    7
32    Melvin Gordon    Wisconsin Badgers                                 RB    7
48    Devontae Booker    Utah Utes                                            RB    6
48    David Cobb    Minnesota Golden Gophers                                RB    6
48    Daz'mond Patterson    Ohio Bobcats                                RB    6
68    Marlon Mack    South Florida Bulls                                  RB    5
68    Jonathan Williams    Arkansas Razorbacks                       RB    5
68    Dee Hart    Colorado State Rams                                      RB    5
68    Khalek Shepherd    Virginia Cavaliers                                    RB    5
68    Kenneth Dixon    Louisiana Tech Bulldogs                        RB    5
68    Akeem Hunt    Purdue Boilermakers                         RB    5
68    Alex Collins    Arkansas Razorbacks                                RB    5
68    Brandon Ross    Maryland Terrapins                           RB    5
98    Aaron Jones    Texas El Paso Miners                        RB    4
98    Shadrach Thornton    North Carolina State Wolfpack    RB    4

source: http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/fumble-category

Wooderson

Give me liberty, or give me death!

LRHawg

It's frustrating that both our backs are on that list. I think Gordon being on there is more a product of the large amount of carries he got.

Wooderson

Thomas's own bio credits him with coaching backs that had three fumbles over a two year period.

I do believe with Danny Butt there was a season where we had zero fumbles. I'm efforting, but tough to find on a smartphone.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 14, 2015, 05:03:27 pm
MikeIrwin, it's a good thing Chaney left. Many in Arkansas celebrated when the news of his departure happened.
"Many" is a vague term. Many on this board have expressed regret that he's gone. Many have told me in person that they wish he had stayed. There are also those who wanted him gone. I don't sense there's a consensus one way or the other.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 14, 2015, 05:13:20 pm
"Many" is a vague term. Many on this board have expressed regret that he's gone. Many have told me in person that they wish he had stayed. There are also those who wanted him gone. I don't sense there's a consensus one way or the other.

Correct

ricepig

Quote from: Wooderson on January 14, 2015, 05:12:39 pm
Thomas's own bio credits him with coaching backs that had three fumbles over a two year period.

I do believe with Danny Butt there was a season where we had zero fumbles. I'm efforting, but tough to find on a smartphone.

Collins had 5 fumbles, lost 3.
http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/fumbles-lost

Fatty McGee

I wonder, of the "many" on either side, how many know anything about coaching football?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

LRHawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 14, 2015, 05:15:12 pm
I wonder, of the "many" on either side, how many know anything about coaching football?

I know darn about coaching football, but I wanted to see what Chaney could do with some good receivers and the jury was still out for me. I trust that if he's gone then Beilema didn't agree and has other plans in mind, which I'm fine with.

MissippHog

Not "many."

Hogdomer

I would venture a guess not "many" at all.

ldfergu

My opinion on the Chaney departure is that he left on a good note. I think they both probably realized they weren't reaching their full potential together and the best decision was to part ways. Coach B and Long may have even put in a good word for him at Pitt and he may do well there. 

It just wasn't a good marriage.  I think we can utilize PAP a lot better and utilize what resources we have better.

Dominicanhog

I wonder if this means the new OC has been selected and gave his OK on Thomas, but maybe had a WR coach he wants to bring with him..

FBREW000

Has anyone taken the time to think that Chaney simply wanted to leave, and the CBB didn't want him too....

Perhaps this scenario makes sense after all.  Remember the comments CBB made after Shannon left.  That he was intending to keep the current staff in place?  Why the negative diatribe all of the time?

Chaney was imho a good coach, and will prove it elsewhere.  CBB will do fine in finding a good OC as well.  But we must have a passing presence to continue moving up in the right direction.

Some people just love "Darn" too much!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:34:40 pm
You know...the in-state recruiter that I've given tons of props to?

Not sure why you'd want to start a recruiting debate with me.

Perhaps you're not the recruiting expert you think you are......................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

srwhogs1

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wooderson on January 14, 2015, 04:55:53 pm
How many fumbles did our rbs have the past two years?  I don't know the exact number but it was way too many. Couple this with recruiting and I don't think he is getting the job done. Obviously coach does though. Hope those two areas improve.

IF you think he isn't getting the job done then why didn't you supply data such as those fumble numbers to support your thinking. You do know you can look that up. You left it up to someone else to give it. And they didn't say how many fumbles per carry or game.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

I would say very few
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 14, 2015, 05:31:08 pm
Perhaps you're not the recruiting expert you think you are......................................

he's a much better coach than recruiter... just read his post..

iseeredpeople

There isn't a number on this chart that a decent hire can't match.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 14, 2015, 05:38:44 pm
IF you think he isn't getting the job done then why didn't you supply data such as those fumble numbers to support your thinking. You do know you can look that up. You left it up to someone else to give it. And they didn't say how many fumbles per carry...............................

people who constantly criticize don't use stats... I wonder why...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 14, 2015, 05:40:26 pm
he's a much better coach than recruiter... just read his post..

I did read it otherwise I wouldn't have replied..........His post I replied to was strictly about recruiting.

Kevin

Glad he is staying. He works Texas hard, and I am sure he is make in roads.  Hopefully, with him getting more money, cbb has an oc in his price range
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: iseeredpeople on January 14, 2015, 05:41:35 pm
There isn't a number on this chart that a decent hire can't match.

Good post and data. That shows improvement in 2014 from the previous year. That doesn't mean I think it couldn't be better.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 14, 2015, 05:42:42 pm
I did read it otherwise I wouldn't have replied..........His post I replied to was strictly about recruiting.

I should have used my sarcasm button, we're both saying the same thing...

The Boar War

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 14, 2015, 04:55:43 pm
Not sure if you're trying to be funny or if  their was another message behind that post but the reason for Chaney's departure is important to know.

If we know why he left we will know more about what to expect from Bielema & the new OC moving forward. I have no opinion on what happened. Just looking for answers.

Looks like the theory that Bielema targeted all three by not offering them much is off base as least with regard to Thomas.

Everyone has their theories based on logic. I've already posted this and I'll post it again. Logic doesn't always apply when discussing why an assistant coach left.

Jeff Long spoke to the differences in each "personnel" contract.  It might be that what was seen as a raise by one might have been perceived as an "insult" by someone else.  I don't personally believe that it was strictly a monetary issue.  More than likely it was a combination of factors in Chaney's case.

wildhogman

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:37:33 pm
I love CBB.
I love CSP
I like CMS, I'd LOVE him as a RB coach (his natural coaching position)
BLJ is really growing on me.

I love Robb Smith
I love Clay Jennings
I like Rory Segrest
I loved Randy Shannon

Not sure how you can say that I don't love this coaching staff.  I'm extremely positive on the vast majority of them.
Its a great things these guys have your blessing since their future employment depends on it,,,, oh wait,, nvm. I was thinking your someone important. But just another disgruntled fan who always has a better plan, if only someone, anyone would give them a shot at the HC job.  If the man is good enough for BB, he should be good enough for others. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 14, 2015, 05:46:39 pm
I should have used my sarcasm button, we're both saying the same thing...

OOPS sorry my bad. I do have a problem sometimes recognizing sarcasm on here. I've said so several times!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:24:14 pm
great.......  I love RB coaches that recruit Texas and contribute one signee every three years.

He got another season more than a extension per say to show his recruiting prowess.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ricepig

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 14, 2015, 05:57:50 pm
He got another season more than a extension per say to show his recruiting prowess.
Correct, Herb, Sam, and Robb got 3 year deals, I believe.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 14, 2015, 05:53:06 pm
OOPS sorry my bad. I do have a problem sometimes recognizing sarcasm on here. I've said so several times!
I want you to work on that in the off season.

Hogeration

Exactly.  I'm not even at a consensus within my self. 

I hate it bc of timing and that this is BA's 4th OC in 5 years. 

I'm okay with it bc I remember hearing Chaney say at this level he doesn't really tweak a QB's throwing mechanics.  And I know he has had great QBs in the past but I wonder if he is ready to slow down.  Chaney never showed a lot of energy in sound bites or TV spots.  I don't know if that's the case but if the offense isn't lighting it up, I need a little rah rah every now and then.

pigture perfect

All of them do. Just ask 'em.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Inhogswetrust

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 14, 2015, 05:42:23 pm
people who constantly criticize don't use stats... I wonder why...

I just looked it up in the NCAA website for stats:

Arkansas tied for ninth for the FEWEST number of fumbles lost for the season with 11. Of course there are a LOT of teams with 11 or fewer...............you could also say 79 and it would be correct including ties.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hogeration on January 14, 2015, 06:01:18 pm
Exactly.  I'm not even at a consensus within my self. 

I hate it bc of timing and that this is BA's 4th OC in 5 years. 

I'm okay with it bc I remember hearing Chaney say at this level he doesn't really tweak a QB's throwing mechanics.  And I know he has had great QBs in the past but I wonder if he is ready to slow down.  Chaney never showed a lot of energy in sound bites or TV spots. I don't know if that's the case but if the offense isn't lighting it up, I need a little rah rah every now and then.
We don't get to see a lot of practices these days but last spring in particular it seemed to me that Robb Smith was showing a lot of energy on the defensive side. There was no one on the offensive side that matched him.

It's not surprising to me that an OC would not be a butt kicker in practice. Those guys tend to more cerebral in their approach to games and practice. But it seemed to me that somebody, whether it was Pittman or Bielema, needed to be a lot more animated on the offensive side especially when there were screw-ups.

Hawgzinbowlz

jgphillips3

All we know is that the assistant got a raise and signed the "I can't go to an SEC team clause."  What we don't know is why.  Did he want to go with Chaney but CBB begged him to stay? Did CBB tell him "I'll let you stay but I want to see marked improvement in certain areas"?  Who knows?  I doubt we'll ever know. 

All we do know is that he signed the amendments CBB wanted and is being allowed to remain a coach at the University of Arkansas, which as CBB pointed out should be regarded as a privilege.  We shouldn't read more into this than that the coach has done enough in CBB's eyes to keep his job for now.  That's all.  We finally have a true CEO coach for the first time in a long time.  I think that is going to work out great for us in the long term.

regi

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 14, 2015, 04:30:37 pm
On no staff is everyone a great recruiter.

,,,,,Joel was sold as one by his HC. RB is easiest position to coach, that is why most are your ace recruiters, what elso do they really have to do?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 14, 2015, 04:19:27 pm
UA Release:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas running backs coach Joel Thomas  (@CoachJoelT) has signed an amendment to his employment agreement, Razorback football head coach Bret Bielema announced Wednesday.

"We are very excited to extend Joel's contract and keep him here at Arkansas," Bielema said. "He is a passionate teacher on and off the field and has done an excellent job developing our talent at the running back position. Joel is a valuable asset to our program as we continue to take steps forward in pursuit of an SEC Championship."

The running backs continue to improve under Thomas as Jonathan Williams and Alex Collins were the only pair of FBS teammates to rush for 1,000-plus yards in the 2014 season. The duo became just the second pair of Razorbacks to accomplish the feat, following Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in 2006 and 2007. Collins became just the second Razorback in school history to surpass 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons on the hill.

"Thank you to Bret (Bielema) and (Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics) Jeff (Long) for giving me such a wonderful opportunity," Thomas said. "The Arkansas family has really embraced my family and we are thrilled to be part of this football program. I'm fired up to work with a great group of young men and cannot wait to showcase their abilities in 2015 and beyond."

Arkansas returns two of the most accomplished running backs in program history. Williams enters the 2015 campaign as the school's 10th all-time leading rusher with 2,321 career rushing yards. Collins ranks 14th in school history with 2,126 rushing yards entering his junior season.

Fans can put a deposit down for 2015 season tickets by visiting ARKANSASRAZORBACKS.com. The 2015 home schedule includes six games in Fayetteville, four against opponents that played in bowl games last season – UTEP, Auburn, Mississippi State and Missouri.

For more information on Arkansas Football, follow @RazorbackFB on Twitter.

Good news.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

regi

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 14, 2015, 04:26:39 pm
Not everyone. Just those who wanted Chaney, Thomas and Smith gone.

The perception of Thomas, is he has failed in recruiting. He has been named as the lead recruiter on some big targets in Texas that got away.In fairness, he didn't name himself the lead recruiter, the recruiting sites did. Still, he could help his cause, if he could just land one of these targets.

Tyro3

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:27:23 pm
I don't want Smith gone.  I wanted him to take Thomas' job.

I want you gone!

IBleedRazorbackRed

Maybe BB wasn't planning on giving Thomas a raise until Chaney tried to get him to go to Pitt also, so BB made sure Chaney wasn't getting anything or anyone he wanted from us.

Jek Tono Porkins

I don't know anything about running back coaches to comment on whether it's a good thing that he got an extension or not. I think there are very few people on hogville that could name 5 running back coaches in college football. According to Thomas' bio, he's had some big success at coaching running backs.
But I also think that running backs is probably the easiest position to coach, all things considered. It doesn't take a genius to run through a hole.

It does appear that Thomas is the weakest recruiter on staff, and one of the reasons he was brought in was to recruit Texas and specifically Dallas. So far, I don't think anyone can say he's lived up to expectations.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Pork Twain

On a scale of 1-10, what people know about what makes a good RB coach:

CBB 11

Hogville posters (me included) -1
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 14, 2015, 06:09:11 pm
We don't get to see a lot of practices these days but last spring in particular it seemed to me that Robb Smith was showing a lot of energy on the defensive side. There was no one on the offensive side that matched him.

It's not surprising to me that an OC would not be a butt kicker in practice. Those guys tend to more cerebral in their approach to games and practice. But it seemed to me that somebody, whether it was Pittman or Bielema, needed to be a lot more animated on the offensive side especially when there were screw-ups.

Thanks for this insightful response.  You've hit on what I saw from the beginning as a red flag.  From the outside looking in it appeared that Chaney's physique and demeanor didn't fit well with a young aggressive staff and I wondered if that showed up on the practice field and recruiting trail.  Chaney appeared to match up better with a big bowl of tater chips.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Thomas was the primary guy on these 3 kids via 247. 3 kids in 2 years, while recruiting Texas. Lets just say I wouldn't have been sad if he left.

RW3
Day
Evans

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 14, 2015, 07:05:28 pm
Thanks for this insightful response.  You've hit on what I saw from the beginning as a red flag.  From the outside looking in it appeared that Chaney's physique and demeanor didn't fit well with a young aggressive staff and I wondered if that showed up on the practice field and recruiting trail.  Chaney appeared to match up better with a big bowl of tater chips.
Again, there are many offensive coordinators I've known over the years that weren't animated in practice. I have mental picture of them intently staring down at a folded set of notes which contained their practice plan. Some of them, like Jack Crowe (he was a well respected offensive coordinator) hardly said a word.

Usually what happened is the head coach was over with the offense kicking some butt on the guys screwing up. That or the offensive line coach did it.