Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flashback: 1998 SMU

Started by Jborohog09, January 14, 2015, 11:49:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jborohog09

Highlights of the 44-17 rout of SMU back in 1998.  Unfortunately, the game wasn't televised so I had to use the footage from the HDN show.  Hope everyone enjoys it anyways!

WizardofhOgZ

January 14, 2015, 12:01:50 pm #1 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:13:11 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Without even looking, I remember that we started fast with a hitch pass to Lucas that he took all the way for a TD.  Then, with the game still competitive early in the second half, the stadium lights went out and the game was delayed about 30 minutes while they powered up again.  I remember being nervous that we'd lose our momentum and come out flat after the break, but we didn't.

Funny to think that probably THE most often-asked question of HDN during that first pre-season was whether or not we could beat SMU (who had dominated us in the few years before that season). 

ZERO

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 14, 2015, 12:01:50 pm
Without even looking, I remember that we started fast with a hitch pass to Lucas that he took all the way for a TD.  Then, with the game still competitive early in the second half, the stadium lights went out and the game was delayed about 30 minutes while they powered up again.  I remember being nervous that we'd lose our momentum and come out flat after the break, but we didn't.

Funny to think that probably THE most often-asked question of HDN during that first pre-season was whether or not we could beat SMU (who had dominated us in the few years before that season).

It really is funny how the progression of a season changes perception. Remember how everyone was calling Texas Tech game this year the vital swing game that would make the difference between Bowl eligibility and would be a hard fought battle? Sometimes you don't really know what you're working with when the season begins.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

razorsharp94

This video makes 1998 look like 1978.  1998 doesn't feel like that long ago.  It sure as heck wasn't yesterday either.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Boy, I tell ya, Paul.  Gotta' wrap up right there, but look at that coverage.  He's special.  He's got tremendous speed.  Really flies around.  Just special.  Nailed it right through the uprights."

I really don't miss that kind of commentary.  At all.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

HognitiveDissonance

Yep, first play, Stoerner to Lucas, 80 yards Touchdown.
Walked in a few minutes late and missed it.
And yes, that was all the talk. We beat SMU! We beat SMU!

Kevin

Cannot watch because of nutt
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jkstock04

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 14, 2015, 10:44:08 pm
Yep, first play, Stoerner to Lucas, 80 yards Touchdown.
Walked in a few minutes late and missed it.
And yes, that was all the talk. We beat SMU! We beat SMU!
I remember this vaguely as well...it was a big deal for us to beat SMU.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

davglo35

Good to hear and see Paul but hard to listen to because of the MOTHO!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The Chief on January 14, 2015, 04:35:41 pm
"Boy, I tell ya, Paul.  Gotta' wrap up right there, but look at that coverage.  He's special.  He's got tremendous speed.  Really flies around.  Just special.  Nailed it right through the uprights."

I really don't miss that kind of commentary.  At all.

I'd listen to 10 hrs of it to hear 5 mins of Paul Eells...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

darkstar

I was there for the game and it was a great feeling to finally beat SMU.  We yelled all night long.

Jborohog09

hogsanity

Remember this game well. It was three weeks after our 1st child was born, and that evening was the 1st time my dad and I had got to play golf together since I became a dad and he became a grandpa. Had an old hog shaped radio hanging from my pull cart and we listened as we walked a quick 9.

Man that made me feel old. Now that baby is driving, and looking at colleges.

But at least we do not have to worry about whether the hogs can beat smu or not.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE