Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Riddell Speedflex Helmet

Started by Pigsknuckles, January 14, 2015, 11:31:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigsknuckles

This trial was discussed at the beginning of the season. We were one of the teams set to use these helmets and collect impact data/telemetry. Any word on how things worked out? Findings? Haven't heard much since August.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogeration

Quote from: code red on January 14, 2015, 12:04:50 pm
7-6

Ha.  That's funny.  The OP brings up a good question though.  As hard as we grind it out, I don't remember many concussions being talked about.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Hogeration on January 14, 2015, 12:10:47 pm
Ha.  That's funny.  The OP brings up a good question though.  As hard as we grind it out, I don't remember many concussions being talked about.
Derby and B.Allen had some concussion type symptoms at one point or another I believe.

It seems like an OL may have had one. Did Brooks Ellis have a concussion at some point?

Hogeration

I think Ellis did.  But no one missed much if any.  It's hard to believe there hasn't been more progress in this area.  Hopefully these helmets will bring about a better mouse trap. 

wholehog92

My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

PorkRinds

clutch

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 12:23:24 pm
That's a practice helmet.  We used these in the games IIRC.

I'm not sure everyone on the team used them. Seems like I remember only certain players having it on.

code red

Helmets cannot prevent concussions...they prevent skull fractures.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

PorkRinds

Quote from: code red on January 14, 2015, 02:46:27 pm
Helmets cannot prevent concussions...they prevent skull fractures.

That's not what Riddell was claiming with these helmets IIRC. 

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 02:47:39 pm

I beleive Riddell was claiming these helmets measured force impacts and could alert team medical staff real time of potential concussion causing hits.
We got a tour of the new ops center before last season and that is how it was explained to me...

PorkRinds

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on January 14, 2015, 02:52:29 pm
I beleive Riddell was claiming these helmets measured force impacts and could alert team medical staff real time of potential concussion causing hits.
We got a tour of the new ops center before last season and that is how it was explained to me...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/3/28/5547618/riddell-speedflex-helmets-insite-technology

QuoteThis exemplar comparison illustrates that differences in the ability to reduce concussion risk exist between helmet models in collegiate football. Helmet designs should be optimized to reduce head acceleration over the continuum of impacts experienced by football players. Helmet design may never prevent all concussions from occurring in football, but the evidence illustrates that it can reduce the incidence of this injury.

code red

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 02:47:39 pm
You need to watch the PBS documentary on Shiloh Christian, concussions and heat related football injuries.  Pretty en lighting even though a couple years old.  Those scientist explain it...pretty cool stuff.  But hey if they say they can prevent it...whatever.  The brain is about the consistency of jello.  When the head stops...the momentum of the brain continues.  I find it hard to believe that helmets can prevent the brain from contacting with the inside of the skull.

PorkRinds

Quote from: code red on January 14, 2015, 02:59:42 pm
You need to watch the PBS documentary on Shiloh Christian, concussions and heat related football injuries.  Pretty en lighting even though a couple years old.  Those scientist explain it...pretty cool stuff.  But hey if they say they can prevent it...whatever.  The brain is about the consistency of jello.  When the head stops...the momentum of the brain continues.  I find it hard to believe that helmets can prevent the brain from contusions with the inside of the skull.

Got a link to it?  I'd love to see it. 

code red

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 03:00:48 pm
Got a link to it?  I'd love to see it. 
Its a frontline video let me check.  Its over 2 hrs long.

code red

HognVA

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: HognVA on January 14, 2015, 03:13:43 pm
An hour on PBS can seem like a lifetime :).

Not if you are watching Nova. :)

PonderinHog

atekido

you can reduce the chance of a concussion but only to a certain extend.  the brain is still going to keep moving inside the skull regardless of what they do with helmets. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: atekido on January 14, 2015, 07:31:28 pm
you can reduce the chance of a concussion but only to a certain extend.  the brain is still going to keep moving inside the skull regardless of what they do with helmets. 
yeah, but a cushion allows for slower deceleration.  thus lessening the impact to the brain.

also better/quicker identification, allows coaches to keep at risk players out of the game, thus lessening the chance of repeated injury.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogdiggity

Not sure about the results but the helmet is available for anyone to purchase wether gimmick or real.  The science makes sense.  One other thing about this helmet is it is much less likely to come of because the chin strap is a ratchet device that won't come unbuckled like the snap on ones

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hogdiggity on January 14, 2015, 07:40:20 pm
Not sure about the results but the helmet is available for anyone to purchase wether gimmick or real.  The science makes sense.  One other thing about this helmet is it is much less likely to come of because the chin strap is a ratchet device that won't come unbuckled like the snap on ones

The face guard is also supposed to be able to be changed quickly. Not sure what team cost for an 85 man roster would be, but full retail for the basic helmet is right at $400. Face guard, chinstrap, and customizing is extra. Don't know whether we used the HIT, or the InSite software system, but that can run from $13,000 for the InSite, to 50-60K for the more elaborate HIT technology. PorkRinds posted a good link describing both systems. Would be interesting to see some of the data, but I wouldn't expect that information to be released.