Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about the SEC channel

Started by Lanny, January 14, 2015, 07:37:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

Now that college football is over, what are you thoughts on the SEC Channel?

Personally I like the new channel, can always find a game and easier to keep up with the other conference teams.  I even watch some of the Paul Finebaum show
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Dr. Starcs

I wish they'd show more classic games.

I don't need to see 15 re-runs of sec now every day.

mizzouman

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 14, 2015, 07:39:41 am
I wish they'd show more classic games.

I don't need to see 15 re-runs of sec now every day.
Classic games are always great.  Love to see them run these games in the overnight hours, between midnight and 7am.  Allow people to set their DVR's. 

Like to see more programming at the University level, something that will showcase the Universities as much as their athletic departments.  Allow the schools to sort of 'brag' about themselves.  This would be great for recruiting.  Maybe give each school an hour show, all them to produce their own, get it approved, then air it.

popcornhog

Quote from: Lanny on January 14, 2015, 07:37:48 am
Now that college football is over, what are you thoughts on the SEC Channel?

Personally I like the new channel, can always find a game and easier to keep up with the other conference teams.  I even watch some of the Paul Finebaum show

The HD quality of live games is perfect. It's just as good as ESPN.

So it's a success in my book.
WPS

Tim Harris

For football it didn't do much for me since all the games were already on.  For basketball it does seem like more games are televised and I'm looking forward to being able to catch a few baseball games this spring.

popcornhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 14, 2015, 07:58:30 am
For football it didn't do much for me since all the games were already on.  For basketball it does seem like more games are televised and I'm looking forward to being able to catch a few baseball games this spring.

Having every football game in high quality production is huge though.

But you're right, hoops is where the big difference comes in. Baseball will be great too.
WPS

Laughing Hog

Glad it's there. Being out of state, it just gives me more opportunity to see the Hogs play.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Tom in Fort Worth

I love it. I am out of state as well. I'm curious to see what it brings during college baseball.

Hoggish1

It was great not having to rely on PPV for the cupcake games!

HogFansReunited

January 14, 2015, 10:24:34 am #9 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:06:34 am by HogFansReunited
It didn't do much for football but for those of us that enjoy watching basketball and baseball, the SEC channel is great.  Every basketball game and a lot of baseball games will be televised this year.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

outlawhogeywells

I wish basketball games would be on the SEC network instead of like last nights game on the U

longpig

It's better than expected, wish it were televised coast to coast because I'm away a lot of the season. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

The_Iceman

They need to figure out the whole alternate channel issue, especially on DirecTV. When the first game runs long, it says to go to the alternate channel 611-1, but there isn't anything there. If it worked, it would be nice.

josh_sec33

I thought there was to be a LOT more other sports shown. I'd love to watch the other sports as well in those massive replays of SEC now. But that's just me.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

longpig

January 14, 2015, 11:01:13 am #14 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:38:26 pm by longpig
 Booger McFarland being replaced with someone less Booger McFarland would be nice.
Don't be scared, be smart.

redeye

I watch it more then I expected.  Rarely even watch ESPN anymore.

I'll also note that Arkansas is represented much better then I expected.  Dari Nowkhah obviously likes Arkansas, and it's just weird seeing a SEC media member from outside the state, who respects and treats Arkansas like a legitimate SEC member.  Nowkhah is from Tulsa.

Hogarusa

Only watch it when live sports are on, same as I what I do with the B1G channel (and by live sports, only football and men's hoops)
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 14, 2015, 10:53:48 am
They need to figure out the whole alternate channel issue, especially on DirecTV. When the first game runs long, it says to go to the alternate channel 611-1, but there isn't anything there. If it worked, it would be nice.

That may be a problem on dtv's end. I have uverse and have never had a problem with the alternate channel not being on when they say something is there.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: mizzouman on January 14, 2015, 07:45:28 am
Classic games are always great.  Love to see them run these games in the overnight hours, between midnight and 7am.  Allow people to set their DVR's. 

Like to see more programming at the University level, something that will showcase the Universities as much as their athletic departments.  Allow the schools to sort of 'brag' about themselves.  This would be great for recruiting.  Maybe give each school an hour show, all them to produce their own, get it approved, then air it.

Agreed.

I really like SEC Network.  Wish they could swap Greg McElroy for someone else.  He's just not interesting.

Broadcast quality is very high, IMO.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

rwspear

living out West, the SECN allows me to watch Hog basketball and hopefully Hog baseball this spring.

two thumbs up

panhandlepig

I'm pleased we have the SEC channel. I won't miss watching any bball games and look forward to seeing more baseball this year.. I haven't really watched it outside of live games. TBH, I haven't even looked to see if there is other programming I might be interested in.

gmarv

more hogs games on tv,whats not to like?

Reservoir Hogs

Love it!  One my fav channels

It does seeem like the SEC gets less coverage on ESPN now though, but maybe thats just becuase they know if you have ESPN you also get SEC Network, so they do not pander to the fan base as much.
I wonder long term if this lack of extra coverage on ESPN (Sportscenter and CFB Live mainly) will lead to less exposure to pontential recruits, who are just watching ESPN every day as opposed to SEC Network

reddogjcss

I like the SEC channel. Now watching sports I never watched before.

HognitiveDissonance

I think they've done a good job with it. Very nice, actually.
The on-air personalities are generally very good, too.
The programming is a nice mix of games, quality studio shows, and classic games.
Not much to complain about here.

I still think the rates will be jacked in future years though as a 'premium' channel. Don't get used to it being 'basic cable'.

ballz2thewall

i'm a fan.  like all baby channels the programming should grow over time as investments are placed accordingly.

comparatively it's not too different from espn when it first aired.
The rest of the frog.

intelligence

I love it. I watch it far more than the other espn channels. As an aside, i'm hoping that Damien Fishback will get a shot at an analyst position with the network. I really enjoy his commentary when he works one of our games.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 14, 2015, 01:22:20 pm
Agreed.

I really like SEC Network.  Wish they could swap Greg McElroy for someone else.  He's just not interesting.

I like it a lot--even now that football season is over... McElroy is not dynamic, but he is very knowledgable and does his homework. He provides good balance for "Booger."

redeye

Quote from: hogsanity on January 14, 2015, 11:32:44 am
That may be a problem on dtv's end. I have uverse and have never had a problem with the alternate channel not being on when they say something is there.

Yep, I also have Uverse and have to agree.

mizzouman

Quote from: redeye on January 14, 2015, 11:14:25 am
I watch it more then I expected.  Rarely even watch ESPN anymore.

I'll also note that Arkansas is represented much better then I expected.  Dari Nowkhah obviously likes Arkansas, and it's just weird seeing a SEC media member from outside the state, who respects and treats Arkansas like a legitimate SEC member.  Nowkhah is from Tulsa.
Dari is great.  But, he loves EVERY team.  I heard him on a local Nashville radio show one time saying how great a hire the new Vandy coach was and despite the record, will be a team to be watched. That's the only knock on him.  He won't say a lot of bad things about any team, or he won't come right out and say it.  If he has too, he does it in a Rick Schaeffer kind of way.

hoginator

January 15, 2015, 08:45:59 am #30 Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:32:27 am by hoginator
In the immortal words of Lloyd Christmas:
Ah like it ah lot...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

KY Hog Man

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on January 15, 2015, 12:50:21 am
I like it a lot--even now that football season is over... McElroy is not dynamic, but he is very knowledgable and does his homework. He provides good balance for "Booger."

I totally agree about McEroy's knowledge. He has impressed me.   

Tomhog™

I miss the PPV football games.  There's just something about shelling out extra money to watch a grainy/color distorted picture that maybe has working sound.

SantaHog

I'm not a fan sportstalk radio shows on TV.  I would rather watch game replays, features, and other sports.  I think once the network has built up a larger library of material Finebaum will be relegated to a 30-60 minute current information show.

HawgTrough

If it wasn't for the dang MS State game, I could drop that fox sports package. Seems we play them on that channel every year. 
WPS

Sed76

When did they start referring to it as the SEC ESPN Network? It was always a partnership but when it first launched they just called it the SEC Network.

longtimeHogfan

I could  do  with  less  Finbaum.  Other than  that it's  a hit at our house.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

regi

Way to much women's basketball at the moment, to much men's and women's soccer in the fall. I guess a channel is a great Idea, until you have to provide 24 hour/365 days of content. Need more original programming. How about getting away from the Bama centered F-baum show and branch out to other southern sports talk hosts? Just saying. Still have it on in my house more than any other channel though. Dari is a talented dude and Maria Taylor is a talent in many ways.

regi

Maybe a late night Maria Taylor. Cari Champion, Kaylee Hartung, Laura Rutledge girl talk hour? Just throwing out Ideas

TNhogfan

Quote from: Sed76 on January 15, 2015, 05:11:39 pm
When did they start referring to it as the SEC ESPN Network? It was always a partnership but when it first launched they just called it the SEC Network.
I noticed this week the new branding.  I thought the SEC was messing up by not partnering with ESPN in this venture, but letting Disney own it 100%.  BTN is a 50/50 ownership by FOX and B1G.  Pac12 Networks is totally owned by the Pac 12.  When the conference and ESPN announced the formation of the network, ESPN stated it would be the SEC ESPN Network, but would be branded as 'SEC Network' which they did all through football season.

On LHN, ESPN also shows games on occasion from other TX universities such as TX St.  It would be interesting to know if the contract allows ESPN to show other conferences such as Sun Belt or C-USA or if SEC has any control over content. 

TNhogfan

Quote from: regi on January 15, 2015, 06:44:01 pm
Way to much women's basketball at the moment, to much men's and women's soccer in the fall. I guess a channel is a great Idea, until you have to provide 24 hour/365 days of content. Need more original programming. How about getting away from the Bama centered F-baum show and branch out to other southern sports talk hosts? Just saying. Still have it on in my house more than any other channel though. Dari is a talented dude and Maria Taylor is a talent in many ways.
ESPN signed F-Baum away from Cumulus specifically to do this show everyday.  For some reason they think he is an SEC radio show.  The closest to an SEC show was the old SEC Conference Call show.  I still find it bizarre they moved him to Charlotte to do an SEC show.  I agree there are other southern based shows that would be better than the lowest common denominator that is F-Baum.  ESPN execs love those type shows.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 15, 2015, 11:56:57 am
I miss the PPV football games.  There's just something about shelling out extra money to watch a grainy/color distorted picture that maybe has working sound.

I miss grabbing non-broadcast hog basketball games off European soccer satellites.  Picture was always crystal clear.  Sound was always an adventure.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

rizzohoghead

I wish the alternate channel would actually have the game on it when they said they were switching your game to it, or your game is starting on the alternate channel because game one is running long.

woodhog14

I like it, but I wish they did more behind the scenes stuff for the different sports teams at the universities.

It's the same everyday...SEC Now, then a replay, then Finebaum

Here's some programming the BIG 10...the programming I bolded, I would love to see something similar on the SEC Network. Thoughts?

Big Ten Tonight – a weekly half-hour show airing on Sundays that is similar to ESPN's SportsCenter; it offers highlights and discussion of Big Ten sporting events. The program is currently anchored by Dave Revsine, Rick Pizzo, Mike Hall and Lisa Cornwell. Other reporters and analysts appear depending on the sport being discussed.
Big Ten Football Saturday – a program airing Saturdays (with pre-game, halftime and post-game editions) during the college football season, which features discussions and highlights of the day's games. It is hosted by Dave Revsine, with analysis provided by Gerry DiNardo (nicknamed by the hosts as "Coach") and Howard Griffith.
Big Ten Tailgate – originally titled Friday Night Tailgate, it is a Friday night program that takes a lighthearted and irreverent look at campus life surrounding the weekend of a Big Ten football game. It was host was Mike Hall, with correspondents Charissa Thompson and Chicago-area improv actors Jordan Klepper, Steve Waltien, and Tim Baltz.
Big Ten Tip-Off Show – a pre-game show airing during the regular season from November to March discussing the day's basketball games; it is hosted by Dave Revsine, with analysis provided by Gene Keady, Jimmy Jackson, Tim Doyle and Kendall Gill.
Coaches Q&A – a program featuring excerpts from the week's press conferences around the conference.
The Big Ten's Greatest Games – a showcase of classic football and basketball games, with editing of some non-essential game action out to fit time constraints.
The Big Ten Women's Show – an hour-long Monday night program covering women's sports throughout the conference.
The Big Ten Quad – a weekly sports discussion show with Big Ten legends.
Big Ten Cookout – a half-hour live cooking/tailgate show on Saturday mornings, taking place at a different university campus within the conference each week; it is hosted by Melanie Collins, alongside chefs Julius Russell and former Hell's Kitchen season five contestant Ben Walanka.
The Big Ten's Best – a weekly countdown show with lists of the top 10 Big Ten teams or players in a certain category, such as "best running backs of the 1990s" or "best quarterbacks of the 1980s"; hosted by Charissa Thompson.
Various coach's shows
University Showcase – a program block of non-sports campus produced programs; each school has equal time.
Student U – Game broadcasts produced by university broadcast departments involving students controlling production and play-by-play which are usually seen only on closed-circuit campus cable networks.
"Big Ten Frozen Fridays" – a hockey pregame show on Friday nights, airing before most Big Ten hockey game telecasts, featuring game previews and highlights from around the Big Ten Conference
Big Ten Football: Breakdown – a weekly series airing on Tuesdays in which Big Ten coaches and players review the previous week's game footage, with network analysts providing a look at the nuances of the game and what affected the teams' success.
Big Ten Football: Sites & Sounds – a Wednesday night program that includes segments from press conferences, media interviews and the games, as well as other behind-the-scenes footage.
Big Ten Football: Behind the Schemes – airing Thursday nights, it is a breakdown featuring the network's resident head coach analysts, analyzing footage of the previous week's games and putting together game plans for games being held that week.
Big Ten Football... & Beyond – a Friday night program previewing the weekend's upcoming games with reports from each Big Ten stadium and a look at key national matchups that could impact the conference postseason.
Big Ten Film Vault – a program, hosted by Dan Dierdorf, showcasing a vintage Big Ten film from the 1940s to the 1970s.
Big Ten Icons – a series highlighting a Big Ten athlete from a wide range of sports and history. Notable subjects include Jesse Owens, Jack Nicklaus and Steve Alford.
The Journey: Big Ten Football - a Sunday night documentary-style series following multiple teams each week throughout the conference's football season
The Journey: Big Ten Basketball – a Sunday night documentary-style series following multiple teams each week throughout the conference's 10-week basketball season.

Big Ten Treasure Hunter - a program starring memorabilia collector John Arcand in which he travels around Big Ten territories and make negotiations with fans to buy Big Ten memorabilia.

TNhogfan

Good write up on BTN. I enjoy BTN Live, Pregame show, Football (Basketball) and Beyond, Seth Davis Coaches Roundtable show.   I like Big Ten Treasure Hunter. 

I like the loose atmosphere on P12Networks post-game show. Also like P12N Football Weekly.

On SECN, I enjoy SEC Now, SEC Nation, and the ball games.  All 3 conference networks are different from one another.  I've found there are shows and personalities on all 3 I enjoy and some things I won't watch. 

Hogimus Prime

I wish they'd show more classic games too especially classic basketball games.  ESPN Classic used to do that during that, but last few times I checked their schedule they were showing old tennis matches.

Arkfan

Overall I like it but there's WAY too much Paul Finebaum for me.

Watching a radio show is OK for a little while but then it seems weird.

mizzouman

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 14, 2015, 01:22:20 pm
Agreed.

I actually like Greg.  He'll get better.  He's new to this, but I think he's good.  I actually like who they have.  Just wish they had more classic games and more individual school based programming.

mizzouman

Quote from: Arkfan on January 16, 2015, 07:33:07 am
Overall I like it but there's WAY too much Paul Finebaum for me.

Watching a radio show is OK for a little while but then it seems weird.
I agree.  4 hours of Finebaum is over kill.  Two hours would be enough for me.