Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Annual Report Card: Bielema's Grade Improved But Still Average

Started by Robert Shields, January 12, 2015, 10:19:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Annual Report Card: Bielema's Grade Improved But Still Average

Robert Shields

It's report card time as I have dealt out grades to Razorback football coaches for more than 15 years. I know Jeff Long is waiting for this before he can complete Bret Bielema's annual review, so let's get on with it.

The last Razorback football coach who got an overall "A" had the headline "Petrino Gets 'A' Despite Bad Conduct," and that headline came even before the motorcycle accident.

We now see in his second season if Bret Bielema can make the grade -- because he did not last season.

Last year, Bielema got a lot of bad grades and I received lots of hate mail. I guess they wanted me to give him an A after losing every SEC game and finishing 3-9.  Let's see what a 7-6 season brings.

Player Development: A
(Last season: F)

Everyone got better. The defense -- with a lot of the same players from last season -- may have ended up as the best defense in the SEC as other conference teams decided to go the route of other conferences and not play defense.

Linebacker Martrell Spaight led the SEC in tackles, which just does not happen for a Razorback player. Spaight, Darius Philon, and Trey Flowers formed what some ended up referring to as the Bermuda Triangle.

The secondary also improved, and the offensive line improved markably. Brandon Allen at quarterback improbably improved to the point that he ended up being the Texas Bowl MVP. Everyone just got better.

Fundamentals: B

This follows player development. The tackling this season was superb. Some other areas, though, still need some work. The offensive line, even though it played well, had problems at times against some teams they shouldn't have such as Missouri.

The receivers still dropped too many balls. Untimely penalties early in the season also hurt the team. And lastly, there were fumbles and interceptions at inopportune times. The fundamentals were improved throughout the season over last year, but there is still room for improvement. I have little doubt it will be get better next season.

Play Calling: C+

This grade may be high. Jim Chaney as the offensive coordinator was under heat for a good portion of the season by some fans who think he threw the ball too much with this quarterback and this receiver set.

Conversely, the Razorbacks' third-down conversion percentage was good, which sometimes came on pass plays. In the end, though, Chaney is no longer calling the plays.

Had they been caught, dropped balls would have made the play calling seem a lot better. It was disconcerting that the coach decided to punt several times when picking up the first down could have led to a victory when around the opponent's 35-yard line in tight games.

The team was notorious for scoring and driving early in the game, which means pregame planning was solid. Yet, inevitably, the team slowed down in the second half and too often the offense stagnated.

Image: B

This could have been higher, but early in the offseason comments on a California player and then being chastised by their AD was not good. But after that point, the coach shut up and only talked about his Razorbacks.

There were no comments about coming to beat Alabama, hashtags, arguing with Wisconsin fans, or pace-of-play issues. Bielema stuck to his knitting and talked about football and his players. The team's image from that point started taking off even when his team was losing.

Success: C+

When you set the record for the most consecutive losses in Razorback history, you get an F as he did last season even though fans took me to task on that measure.

For a Razorback fan, this was about as good of a 7-6 season as one can have. Beating Texas in the bowl game and shutting out LSU and Ole Miss was very satisfying.

Even though during the season the team extended its record-setting SEC losing streak to 17, the way the team finished made fans feel better. You can project better things for this team, but that's not how grades work.

You get graded for what you did, and 7-6 is still 7-6.

Game Management: C
(New category)

This is a new category for the coach in my report card. This category existed before and it's being added back because this is the one area that has to be improved for the team to improve its overall record.

Over his last two seasons as the Razorback football coach, Bielema is 0-7 in games that went down to the wire. In 2013, the games were against Rutgers, Mississippi State, and LSU where the Razorbacks were leading in the fourth quarter and let the games slip away.

This pattern was repeated in 2014 with Texas A&M, Alabama, Mississippi State, and Missouri where the games slipped away in the fourth quarter. The team has learned now how to win, though, so maybe next year they win their share of close games.

Management of the Athletic Director: A+
(Last season: A+)

When you get the athletic director to cry about you and say that you made football fun again in the midst of the school's longest losing streak, you are gold.

Hiring Assistant Coaches: Incomplete
(Last season: A)

You can consider this an A if you want. His staff is solid and he does not have to really replace a lot of coaches. He lost Randy Shannon and so he needs to find a linebacker coach, but he has not done that nor has he had time to consider possible new offensive coordinators so the grade for hiring assistants for this year is unknown.

The hiring of Steve Loney to review film as a consultant was brilliant. He has earned his pay as the game plan for teams has been spot on and I believe he has helped contribute to it.

Leadership/Discipline: A
(Last season: B)

Bielema dealt with the Korliss Marshall situation as best as he could by dismissing him but caring enough to help Marshall find his next destination. His players are not hitting the police blotter, which is not the case for other SEC schools. He suspended two players before the bowl game and has made it clear that you will do it his way.

Overall grade: B-
(Last season: F-)

When you are 7-6, it probably deserves a C, but I am going to weight the last half of the year heavier than the first half. They won three out of their last four. The win over the Texas Longhorns cannot be undervalued. It was huge. The shutout of two ranked SEC teams was also great. That is the kind of finish that gets even Broyles off your back.

Coach Bielema, please have this report card signed by your athletic department guardian and returned to me by email or Twitter by national signing day.

Send your report card to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HappyFan on January 12, 2015, 10:35:43 am
A B- is above average, a C would be average.

Don't get technical with good ol' Bobby -- he was a journalism major.  It doesn't take much smarts to get that going.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

The_Iceman

ricepig

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

The_Iceman

bigdaddyhawg

I'm sure Bret feels so much better knowing that Robert Shields has given him an average rating this year.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

troyer37

Craig O Squeal

Looking at this "piece"...is there ever an "opportune time" for Arkansas to commit a fumble or throw an interception? Is there really ever a good time for an offensive penalty?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The NewEra

It's stunning that a guy who sits at the back of the class, never does his homework properly and every Monday presents a thesis that rates an F- would consider himself qualified to grade someone else's job performance.

Shields, you are priceless! 

GuvHog

Quote from: The NewEra on January 12, 2015, 11:13:14 am
It's stunning that a guy who sits at the back of the class, never does his homework properly and every Monday presents a thesis that rates an F- would consider himself qualified to grade someone else's job performance.

Shields, you are priceless! 

If you seriously believe that Roberts thesis in this thread merits an F-, you are an extremely poor thesis evaluator.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

BorderPatrol

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2015, 11:28:19 am
If you seriously believe that Roberts thesis in this thread merits an F-, you are an extremely poor thesis evaluator.

It's a thesis performed by a guy who is clueless about the truth and whose negative bias is constantly on parade.

It deserves an F- regardless what it says.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2015, 11:28:19 am

I personally wouldn't know what grade it deserves.

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HogMantheIntruder

I'm not a fan of RS, but this was a pretty decent analysis.  For those who didn't read it, first of all I don't blame you, but this one is actually worth the read.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

shotgun7

The_Iceman

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: HappyFan on January 12, 2015, 10:35:43 am
A B- is above average, a C would be average.

Grade inflation is a thing now... Robert Shields still sucks as a "journalist," however.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Calling All Hogs

Fayettechill14

So you gave player development an F for last season... yet we were better this season, and it's a better grade? How do you think that improvement happened? Goodness.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Ragnar Hogbrok

Ragnar Hogbrok

Hoggam's Razor

Yet Robert Sheelds has many replies.......hmmm [CENSORED]!
You know you read his darn!
I hate it when people complain.

Arkfan

I thought it was a pretty good analysis myself.

Alot better and more entertaining than all the childish "didnt read" stuff.

He adds a whole lot more to the site than stuff like that does.

Robert Shields

Quote from: GirlHog on January 12, 2015, 10:12:03 pm
Why does this person called Robert Shields write articles, but he never responds to any replies? He just throws stuff out there and disappears? Ugh!

Do you disagree with any of the grades? If so state what it is and why and I will reply.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Robert Shields on January 13, 2015, 10:32:23 am
Do you disagree with any of the grades? If so state what it is and why and I will reply.

I would, but I DIDNT READ IT!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hoggam's Razor on January 12, 2015, 11:15:45 pm

Haven't read a Robert Shields original post in months.

The_Iceman

Calling All Hogs

nwahogfan1

Good job Robert.  Thanks for sharing.   I think your grades were fair and right on.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Robert Shields on January 13, 2015, 10:32:23 am

You gave a bunch of F's for last year, specifically player development, and yet the team was better this year. How did that happen, you figure?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggam's Razor on January 12, 2015, 11:15:45 pm

I read exactly TWO of his weekly pieces of wasted electricity to power my computer while doing so last year.......................I hope that's two more than this year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DOGALUM

Quote from: GirlHog on January 13, 2015, 12:40:59 pm
Well, hello! Thanks for responding! I don't really care one way or another, personally,  about the grades you gave.  I do read or skim over your periodicals,  but I haven't ever, in reading the comments, seen any responses from you. Just an observation....that's all. I feel special now.
He replied to you because you are a female.   

(he's the guy that exposed your secret bathroom society...FYI)
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!