Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback SPorts .... A RELIGION

Started by hogsanity, February 06, 2006, 01:12:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Several comparisons can be made.

RRS and Bud Walton are like huge church buildings.  People go there for many reasons.  Some need to be rejuvinated.  Some ned to confess.  Some want to be around others who share their beliefs.  Others are searching for something, but they are not sure what.  Some go because there daddy and there daddies daddy went.  Others have foresaken their upbringing and gone out to find their own.  And, for many, it is a social event.  They are there to see and be seen.  TO schmooze and grease palms. 

Many church congregations get the same complaints we hear about the crowds at UA Fb and BB games.  They just sit on their hands, doing little to help further the cause.  THe passion one feels when they find religion often fades, just as it does with fans of sports teams.

WHy is this?  Well it takes fortitude to commit fully to anything or anyone.  TO stick it out when it gets hard.  For those who have parents born in the 30's-50's our parents knew what sticking it out meant.  WWII and KOrea made many of the tough.  AFter that, sticking it out became less important than feeling good. 

Look at last years FB team.  Even though anyone who knew much about FB knew that much better than 5-6 was going to be a stretch, optimism ran wild.  THen after the first couple losses we kept hoping for a revival.  At the end, we were still hoping the "church" would not split, even though it was deeply divided.  Now, optimism runs wild again. 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogshank

February 06, 2006, 01:21:23 pm #1 Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 01:23:05 pm by hogshank
Quote from: hogsanity on February 06, 2006, 01:12:59 pm

RRS and Bud Walton are like huge church buildings.  People go there for many reasons.  Some need to be rejuvinated.  Some ned to confess.  Some want to be around others who share their beliefs.  Others are searching for something, but they are not sure what.  Some go because there daddy and there daddies daddy went.  Others have foresaken their upbringing and gone out to find their own.  And, for many, it is a social event.  They are there to see and be seen.  TO schmooze and grease palms. 

Many church congregations get the same complaints we hear about the crowds at UA Fb and BB games.  They just sit on their hands, doing little to help further the cause.  THe passion one feels when they find religion often fades, just as it does with fans of sports teams.

WHy is this?  Well it takes fortitude to commit fully to anything or anyone.  TO stick it out when it gets hard.  For those who have parents born in the 30's-50's our parents knew what sticking it out meant.  WWII and KOrea made many of the tough.  AFter that, sticking it out became less important than feeling good. 

Look at last years FB team.  Even though anyone who knew much about FB knew that much better than 5-6 was going to be a stretch, optimism ran wild.  THen after the first couple losses we kept hoping for a revival.  At the end, we were still hoping the "church" would not split, even though it was deeply divided.  Now, optimism runs wild again. 

Startling and insightful analysis....well, except for the fact that you could substitute RRS and BWA for just about any stadium/ arena around the country, and the rest of your "comparisons" were decidedly vapid. But hey, on the bright side, Rick Shaeffer is the perfect preacher for your "Razorback Religion". We all know how happy thats gotta make you.

hogsanity

BUt we dont worship at the alter of the other "churches" 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LA HAWG

Some people take this stuff as serious as religion and that is just really sad.

pfrg999

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 06, 2006, 03:14:41 pm
Some people take this stuff as serious as religion and that is just really sad.

No it isn't... It's Called being Devoted... I am a Devoted Fan... do I worship them no... But I am Devoted
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

dukefan

I am not going to get into it we have enough Preachers on here anyway!!!!!!!

hogsanity

Not wnting to be preachy.  Merely pointing out that sports teams, much like religious movements, have a base of fanaitcs, but congregations of people only devoted as long as it serves them to be so. 

IE, the guy who loves the preacher when he is bashing on "those people" who do soemthing the guy thinks is wrong, but leaves the church when the preachers starts talking about something they guy is doing. 

Bud Walton USEd to be filled with the devoted.  Those who would jump off a cliff for their "leader".  Now it is a congregation there for many reasons other than the game itself.   

Pastor_Hog

Great comparison!  There are many similarities, but believe me...I would kill over if anyone in our congregation cheered like we do at a Razorback game.
Watch the Hogs on Saturday and worship Jesus on Sunday.

hogshank

Quote from: hogsanity on February 06, 2006, 03:32:12 pm
Not wnting to be preachy.  Merely pointing out that sports teams, much like religious movements, have a base of fanaitcs, but congregations of people only devoted as long as it serves them to be so. 

IE, the guy who loves the preacher when he is bashing on "those people" who do soemthing the guy thinks is wrong, but leaves the church when the preachers starts talking about something they guy is doing. 

Bud Walton USEd to be filled with the devoted.  Those who would jump off a cliff for their "leader".  Now it is a congregation there for many reasons other than the game itself.  

This whole analogy is stupid. And you ARE trying to be preachy. Your message ( if you can sift throught the convoluted "comparisons" to religion) seems to be that Razorback fans are fickle. Well, have you considered that, for many people, it is painful to watch the two ninnies we have as FB and BB coaches, run our programs into the ground. Blind Loyalty is for suckers. If someone is doing (or to stick with the religious analogy, preaching) something bad and harmful, then it is your responsibility to take issue with it. 

hogoh

I've got some. .. Kool-Aid. . . for ya.

Very truly yours,

Jim Jones

LordStanleysHog

Heads Up, here comes Hale-Bop... you got your Nikes on?

hogsanity

Quote from: hogshank on February 06, 2006, 04:00:34 pm

This whole analogy is stupid. And you ARE trying to be preachy. Your message ( if you can sift throught the convoluted "comparisons" to religion) seems to be that Razorback fans are fickle. Well, have you considered that, for many people, it is painful to watch the two ninnies we have as FB and BB coaches, run our programs into the ground. Blind Loyalty is for suckers. If someone is doing (or to stick with the religious analogy, preaching) something bad and harmful, then it is your responsibility to take issue with it. 

GO look up the word fanatic.  These are people who give themselves TOTALLY to the cause.  Whatever that cause is.  Suicide bombers are fanatics.  On some level you have to admire their devotion.  Sports fans is just short for fanatics.  People who live breathe and eat a certain team.  Win,lose or draw. 

hogshank

Quote from: hogsanity on February 06, 2006, 04:14:36 pm
Quote from: hogshank on February 06, 2006, 04:00:34 pm

GO look up the word fanatic.  These are people who give themselves TOTALLY to the cause.  Whatever that cause is.  Suicide bombers are fanatics.  On some level you have to admire their devotion.  Sports fans is just short for fanatics.  People who live breathe and eat a certain team.  Win,lose or draw. 

Go look up the word fanatic?  Thanks for the tip. The above is not responsive to my post.

hogsanity

THats what I always get when i make a point about "fans"  True fans do not come and go.  True fans do not stop buying tickets.  THey buy them, they go to the games, the complain the whole time after a loss until the next game, but they are right back in the stadium.   

The larger point I was trying to make is that sporting events in general, and Razorback games in particular have becmome much less about the game itself and more about the event.  See and be seen is the idea for many.  When you get right down to it, there are MAYBE 35K hard core Hog fans for Fb and about 10K for BB.  These people would be at the game no matter the situation, if they had to walk to get there from Corning. 

And I dont consider anything HDN or Stan is doing to be HARMFUL.. Not nearly as harmful as teaching the next generation of Hog fans to support the team........as long as they win and do it how you think it should be done.   

hogshank

Quote from: hogsanity on February 06, 2006, 04:26:12 pm
THats what I always get when i make a point about "fans"  True fans do not come and go.  True fans do not stop buying tickets.  THey buy them, they go to the games, the complain the whole time after a loss until the next game, but they are right back in the stadium.  

The larger point I was trying to make is that sporting events in general, and Razorback games in particular have becmome much less about the game itself and more about the event.  See and be seen is the idea for many.  When you get right down to it, there are MAYBE 35K hard core Hog fans for Fb and about 10K for BB.  These people would be at the game no matter the situation, if they had to walk to get there from Corning. 

And I dont consider anything HDN or Stan is doing to be HARMFUL.. Not nearly as harmful as teaching the next generation of Hog fans to support the team........as long as they win and do it how you think it should be done.  

Any disinterest and apathy toward this program is a direct result of the incompotence of the people in charge. Why would people pay see a team they love get their butts kicked on a regular basis while no one does anything to stop it. While the numbers you threw out are completely arbitrary, if the crowd is becoming a see-and-be-seen crowd, it is because the regular fans dont want to pay to have their hearts broken. And what Nutt and Heath are doing is MUCH MORE harmful. Kids are not going to grow up to love crappy teams. If we had all grown up never seeing the hogs be good, never being able to have pride in the success of our teams, it would be alot easier to watch Nutt slowly drag our football program into the abyss. To suffer these fools in silence, and to tacitly supoport their continued employment is poison to our programs.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogshank on February 06, 2006, 04:42:39 pm

Any disinterest and apathy toward this program is a direct result of the incompotence of the people in charge. Why would people pay see a team they love get their butts kicked on a regular basis while no one does anything to stop it. While the numbers you threw out are completely arbitrary, if the crowd is becoming a see-and-be-seen crowd, it is because the regular fans dont want to pay to have their hearts broken. And what Nutt and Heath are doing is MUCH MORE harmful. Kids are not going to grow up to love crappy teams. If we had all grown up never seeing the hogs be good, never being able to have pride in the success of our teams, it would be alot easier to watch Nutt slowly drag our football program into the abyss. To suffer these fools in silence, and to tacitly supoport their continued employment is poison to our programs.

Part of being a fan is about getting your heart broken.  If you never get your heart broken you did not really care to begin with.   Losing hurts, and it should, but you dont get up and just say I will not try again.  All the pain though makes winning that much better.   

hogshank

Quote from: hogsanity on February 06, 2006, 04:53:36 pm
Quote from: hogshank on February 06, 2006, 04:42:39 pm

Part of being a fan is about getting your heart broken.  If you never get your heart broken you did not really care to begin with.   Losing hurts, and it should, but you dont get up and just say I will not try again.  All the pain though makes winning that much better.  

Thank you Mary Poppins, but when it is over and over and over again you have to make a stand. If you dont, you need to resign yourself to moral victories and cheering for a third rate program. And third rate teams dont get to bitch about not having any fans. Thats what they get for being a third rate team.

Biggus Piggus

RRS and Bud Walton are like huge church buildings.

Yuck.

I think these facilities cost less than some of the churches being put up in the great Northwest.

In both cases, a lot of people go there to be seen, and in both cases a lot of people worship the wrong things.
[CENSORED]!

hogshank

February 06, 2006, 05:33:25 pm #18 Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 05:36:14 pm by hogshank
Quote from: BuckOceanFan on February 06, 2006, 05:27:46 pm
Your description of "religion" makes me sad...I hope you realize that you can have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and you don't have to just go to church. 

In your analogy, who can we have a personal relationship with and who would be Jesus?

Poor analogy...

If you want to know more about how you can know Jesus as your personal savior, send me a PM.  I will be happy to share with you the love that he has shown me.

The analogy is bad because its stupid, and logically muttled.

hogshank

Quote from: BuckOceanFan on February 06, 2006, 05:35:05 pm
Quote from: hogshank on February 06, 2006, 05:33:25 pm
Quote from: BuckOceanFan on February 06, 2006, 05:27:46 pm
Your description of "religion" makes me sad...I hope you realize that you can have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and you don't have to just go to church. 

In your analogy, who can we have a personal relationship with and who would be Jesus?

Poor analogy...

If you want to know more about how you can know Jesus as your personal savior, send me a PM.  I will be happy to share with you the love that he has shown me.

The analogy is bad because its stupid, and logically muttled. And you are a tool for getting your panties in a wad over it.

Would that be a hammer, wrench, screwdriver?  Define "tool". 

By the way, God loves you too!! :)

Thanks for saying so. Surely you dont really need to ask. I'm afraid I was unduly brisk with you, so I deleted it.