Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pittsburg...best franchise ever?

Started by Ugly Uncle, February 06, 2006, 12:07:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

Now, I have to tell you I am a huge Cowboys fan.  So this comes from a non-Pittsburg guy.

Three teams have won 5 Superbowls.  1)  Cowboys.  2)  San Fran.  3)  Pitt.

But wouldn't you agree that Pitt is the best of the three?  Even though they were/are the last to win 5 don't they have a better track record than the other two?  Here is my reasoning:

1.  Stability.  They have only had 2 coaches for the last 100 years (slight exaggeration, but you get my point)

2.  No total failures in a season.  Cowboys and 49's have been really really bad during individual seasons.

3.  Fan base.  While the cowboys claim to be "AMERICA'S TEAM" (which I like and agree with) Pitt seems to have more fans that travel or show up for away games than any team I have ever seen.

Now, I could be wrong...but I was thinking about this as the game ended tonight.  Anyone disagree?  Agree?
Retired Radio Host

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 06, 2006, 12:07:05 am
Now, I have to tell you I am a huge Cowboys fan.  So this comes from a non-Pittsburg guy.

But wouldn't you agree that Pitt is the best of the three?  Even though they were/are the last to win 5 don't they have a better track record than the other two?  Here is my reasoning:

1.  Stability.  They have only had 2 coaches for the last 100 years (slight exaggeration, but you get my point)

2.  No total failures in a season.  Cowboys and 49's have been really really bad during individual seasons.

3.  Fan base.  While the cowboys claim to be "AMERICA'S TEAM" (which I like and agree with) Pitt seems to have more fans that travel or show up for away games than any team I have ever seen.

Now, I could be wrong...but I was thinking about this as the game ended tonight.  Anyone disagree?  Agree?

1. Agree
2. Not sure, but I'll take your word for it.
3. Absolutely. F' the Cowboys.

BigPapaHawg

Even though I am a true Cowboy fan, I'm going to have to say San Francisco has to be the best due to the fact they are 5-0 in their Super Bowl appearances. The Cowboys are 5-3 and the Steelers are 5-1.
WOO PIG

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: BigPapaHawg on February 06, 2006, 12:11:10 am
Even though I am a true Cowboy fan, I'm going to have to say San Francisco has to be the best due to the fact they are 5-0 in their Super Bowl appearances. The Cowboys are 5-3 and the Steelers are 5-1.

I'm not going to argue with a fellow Cowboy fan.  But doesn't getting to the Superbowl more times mean something?  Well, never mind...I just thought about the Bills.
Retired Radio Host

Franchise_Hog

You make great points, but in my opinion I would rank it Cowboys, Steelers, and then 49ers.

I don't even like the Cowboys too much.

If Lynn Swan goes on to be the Governor of Pennsylvania, then I'll reconsider.

dmhog v2.0

Quantity of Super Bowl appearances aside, one could make a decent argument for Green Bay.

If I had to choose, I'd have to say San Fran.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 06, 2006, 12:17:00 am
Quantity of Super Bowl appearances aside, one could make a decent argument for Green Bay.

Ooooh.  I forgot about Greenbay.  Even though they don't have the number of "Superbowl" wins, they do...I believe...have the most NFL titles.  Title town.
Retired Radio Host

BigPapaHawg

I don't like saying it myself, but San Fran. made it count each time they made it to the big game!
WOO PIG

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 06, 2006, 12:18:54 am

Ooooh.  I forgot about Greenbay.  Even though they don't have the number of "Superbowl" wins, they do...I believe...have the most NFL titles.  Title town.

Those Green Bay guys all had bodies like our Dad's.  Not even close.

Steelers are the GREATEST NFL franchinse EVER.  The Cowboys are a close second and could have been the best had Jerry not been such an arrogant arse trying to prove he is a "football" guy by letting Jimmy go and trying to show he could do it on his own.

Deal with it "America's" team fans.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 06, 2006, 12:50:35 am

Those Green Bay guys all had bodies like our Dad's.

Is this a bodybuilding contest?  I could come up with a nice gay joke, but I liked the pm and you apparently hate the cowboys, so I'll refrain. Just know, you set me up for one... ;D

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 06, 2006, 12:51:32 am

Is this a bodybuilding contest?  I could come up with a nice gay joke, but I liked the pm and you apparently hate the cowboys, so I'll refrain. Just know, you set me up for one... ;D

LOL, what I meant was they sucked back then and could not even start D1 College today.  So they don't count.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 06, 2006, 12:56:31 am
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 06, 2006, 12:51:32 am

LOL, what I meant was they sucked back then and could not even start D1 College today.  So they don't count.

Oh. Makes sense now.

Michael Porkleone

don't even know where to start on that comment...
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Quote from: Yindao on February 06, 2006, 01:14:38 am

don't even know where to start on that comment...

Well, read up and you will see what i meant.

READ more, post less.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 06, 2006, 12:07:05 am

I agree...I am a HUGE Cowboys fan..but the track record of the Steelers can't be argued with.  I was at the Cowboys vs. Steelers game in 2004 and it was amazing the amount of support from Pittsburg that came to watch their team. 
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Ugly Uncle

You can't disqualify teams because they played at a time when the lineman were like 180lbs and a fast guy ran 5.0 40.  To say that those champs don't count doesn't make sense.  You have to say every team that won a game before 1970 didn't really win.  Greenbay's champs count...because their team and franchise was the best of that year and their era.

Those championships count.
Retired Radio Host

Hawg414

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 06, 2006, 01:23:20 am
You can't disqualify teams because they played at a time when the lineman were like 180lbs and a fast guy ran 5.0 40.  To say that those champs don't count doesn't make sense.  You have to say every team that won a game before 1970 didn't really win.  Greenbay's champs count...because their team and franchise was the best of that year and their era.

this is true uncle... or else we will have to throw out our already-imaginary championship from 64.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Hawg414 on February 06, 2006, 01:25:45 am

this is true uncle... or else we will have to throw out our already-imaginary championship from 64.

Not to derail the thread...but yes that would be true.

But, didn't I see a trophy in our case for the NC?  I don't think FB just went to the wood shop and made it himself.
Retired Radio Host

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 06, 2006, 01:30:25 am
Quote from: Hawg414 on February 06, 2006, 01:25:45 am

Not to derail the thread...but yes that would be true.

But, didn't I see a trophy in our case for the NC?  I don't think FB just went to the wood shop and made it himself.

I have seen it also....the whole '64 fiasco will never be settled....

LA HAWG

Considering the fact the Cowboys have played in 20% of the Super Bowls (thats eight for you non-math people) I would have to give them the nod.  What has Pittsburgh done since 1979.  Dallas has good teams each decade.

Hawg414

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 06, 2006, 06:42:30 am
Considering the fact the Cowboys have played in 20% of the Super Bowls (thats eight for you non-math people) I would have to give them the nod.  What has Pittsburgh done since 1979.  Dallas has good teams each decade.

they haven't in the past decade  (thats 10 years for you non-knowing-what-a-decade-is people)

Sanctified Swine

1. Cowboys  8 super bowls  5 wins
2. Steelers   6 Super bowls  5 wins
3. 49ers       5 Super Bowls  5 wins

hoggystyle78

Does anybody know which of the 3, Dallas, San Fran, or Pitt has been the most consistent over say the last 40 years?, I don't know for sure but it seems like Pittsburgh always fields an above average team. Just wondering. And for the record I've been a Dolphins fan since 1970, haven't had much to cheer about in a long time.

LA HAWG

February 06, 2006, 08:01:35 am #23 Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 09:36:38 am by LA HAWG
Quote from: Hawg414 on February 06, 2006, 06:58:10 am

they haven't in the past decade  (thats 10 years for you non-knowing-what-a-decade-is people)

Most people look at decades as 60's, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s.  So in this decade which is far from over they have had average success but in the last decade they won three super bowls, and they will win again before 2010.  I know it is hard for you to admit the Cowboy's are the greatest franchise in history but just because you won't admit it doesn't mean it is not true.

holman24

In playoff history the Steeler are only Second to the Cowboy in win with Pitt at 28 and dallas at 32 also the team that has been the most with the most wins must be considered the best and that is the Cowboys. if we went with appearances only then it would be dallas pitt and denver.

razrken

Green Bay is the best, they are owned by the public and have a 40,000 person waiting list for season tickets.  I personally am 33,746 and I may get them by Y3K according to the ticket office

dmhog v2.0

What has Pittsburgh done since 1979.

Um, I don't know. I think they just won some kind of game last night. I could be wrong, though.

SpaHog

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 06, 2006, 01:09:09 pm

They also went in 96 which was their lone loss LA HAWG.  Which leaves the 60s as the only decade the steelers did not appear in a SB.  The cowboys didn't appear in one in the 60s, 80s, or so far in the 00s. 

Um, I don't know. I think they just won some kind of game last night. I could be wrong, though.

Quote from: SpaHog on February 06, 2006, 02:07:40 pm

They also went in 96 which was their lone loss LA HAWG.  Which leaves the 60s as the only decade the steelers did not appear in a SB.  The cowboys didn't appear in one in the 60s, 80s, or so far in the 00s. 

AND a few AFC championship games..

LA HAWG

That was in 1995 and who did they lose that super bowl to again?  That's right the Cowboys!

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 06, 2006, 03:09:07 pm

That was in 1995 and who did they lose that super bowl to again?  That's right the Cowboys!

Well, by that logic we can argue that Dallas shouldn't be up there. Before 1993, they had not been in a Super Bowl since 1979 where they lost to Philly. Therefore, Philly is a better franchise. They did beat Denver three years before that, but lost to Pittsburgh in 1975, so Pittsburgh and Dallas eliminate each other from the great franchise tournament. Dallas also lost to the Baltimore Colts in 1971. So the Colts are a better franchise.

So that should leave the San Fran, Green Bay, Blatimore/Indy Colts and Philadelphia as the only contenders as the greatest franchise.

This is just using your logic, not mine.

LA HAWG

DMHOG I am not using the fact that Dallas beat Pitt in 95 as a reason they are better all time than Pitt.  It just adds to the point.  Quit being obtuse.  By the way, considering the fact that Dallas and Philadelphia are both in the same conference and division for that matter, it is kinda hard for the Eagles, who have never won a super bowl, to have beaten the Cowboys in the Super Bowl.  Dallas won the super bowl in 1992 so your date is wrong also. 

LA HAWG

Here is a breakdown of Super Bowl appearances by decade.  We will throw the 60's out since there were only three and neither Dallas nor Pittsburgh played in any of them.

70s--Dallas 5  Pittsburgh 3
80s--Dallas 0  Pittsburgh 1 (1980)
90s--Dallas 3 Pittsburgh 1
00s--Dallas 0 (so far) Pittsburgh 1

As you can see Dallas won the 70s and the 90s and neither team did much of anything in the 80s.

Pretty clear who the dominant franchise is, the Cowboys.

McKdaddy

Why hasn't anyone brought up overall win % in the time since all have been in existence?  I'd do it myself but am too lazy.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Boared

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 06, 2006, 03:40:51 pm
Here is a breakdown of Super Bowl appearances by decade.  We will throw the 60's out since there were only three and neither Dallas nor Pittsburgh played in any of them.

70s--Dallas 5  Pittsburgh 3
80s--Dallas 0  Pittsburgh 1 (1980)
90s--Dallas 3 Pittsburgh 1
00s--Dallas 0 (so far) Pittsburgh 1

As you can see Dallas won the 70s and the 90s and neither team did much of anything in the 80s.

Pretty clear who the dominant franchise is, the Cowboys.

Dallas didn't "win the 70's." Pittsburgh won more super bowls than Dallas did during that decade.
Pittsburgh: team of the 70's
San Fran: team of the 80''s
Dallas: team of the 90's
Pats: team of the 00's

I think that Dallas is probably the best overall franchise due to the # of super bowls they've appeared in + their # of super bowl victories.

Squealers

Hummmm, I think I will go with the New Orleans Saints

hehehehehe ;D
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

ThunderHog

If you base the best franchise on value, then according to Forbes magazine, the Redskins would be at the top of the list.  They are worth 1 BILLION $$$ !!!  The Cowboys are worth about 800 million.

McKdaddy

Why is Dallas, 5-3 in SB's, getting knocked for only being 5-3 whereas PIT and SF get the love for have lost fewer?
Kind of like how duke got raked over the coals for getting to the final 4 but not winning one from '86-'90.  I've always said that I'd like my team to get there on a consistent basis even if they don't win--that's got to count for something.  I feel for the Bills, the franchise should be proud of their achievement, even if it is a dubious one.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin