Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs get some love(link)

Started by hogfan064, February 03, 2006, 06:10:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

hawgette

Nice find.  That guy spent alot of time thinking.  I didn't realize all that happened.

An old hog fanatic

Some of the younger people who read and participate on this board might finally understand why so many of the older people do not trash Broyles as much as some others.  While he certainly has his faults, Broyles has always been a visionary.  He hired the first black man to be head coach of a major college basketball team in the entire South.  He pulled Lou Holtz away from the NFL and made him the head coach of a football team loaded with talent but needing new direction.  He has done a masterful job with the facilities where our athletes play.  Mistakes?  You bet!  But those who have been around since he got here understand that the good Broyles has done does outweigh the bad.  Those who trash him now will understand after he is gone just how valuable he was to the Razorback program.  Times change and Broyles time is quickly coming to an end.  But we were damn lucky to have had him at the helm as the AD for the last 33 years!  Don't have a clue who the next AD will be...but he or she will have some mighty big shoes to fill.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

hogfan064

Broyles is our Bear Bryant.  In many ways JFB has done more for Arkansas than Bear did for Bama.  Keep in mind Bama won NCs before and after Bear.  Before JFB Arkansas had accomplished nothing. 

hogfan064

Reading the USC fans version of this thread they seem to think Arkansas and Broyles were a second choice of the SEC.  If I remember correctly Broyles and Arkansas had alot to do with expansion.

staffhog

Hofan064, you said a mouth full.  We had a few flashes in the pan along the way before JFB but none to measure up to the clout we have had since he came aboard.  I think most other conference fans look for a way to deflate our program as hillbilly and sub-smarts, etc; and try to minimize our national championship is because Broyles has done so much within the framework of coaches and ADs compared to theirs.   At one time he could almost change rules by himself.  It is a testimony to him that other coaches held him in such high esteem.  Coaches like Joe PAterno, Bobby Bowden, Bo Shembechler Vince Dooley could not hold a light to him when it came to forming power behing the scenes.  Most on this board know nothing of his power in his "day".  Just like the Reaganites seeing no wrong with anything about Ronnie would do, many feel this way about JFB and it is slander to our hero of all times to badmouth him.  You can line up the great influencial characters that Uof A athletics has produced and JFB will stand alone.  Coach McConnell should have claim to some of this but :1. track and field can not rank 2. he has not organized and ran department with such precision as JFB.   Eddie Sutton and Nolan would only eat his dust.

RAZORBART

I agree wholeheartedly about JFB but don't forget, we have John White to take over the reins or at least pass them to Bev ??????????????

Oh C.hit !!!!!