Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Road kill

Started by pigture perfect, September 07, 2014, 04:59:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

Business has brought me to the Berkshire's, Catskills, and  Alleghenies. Deer carcasses are everywhere. I mean long dead flattened ones. This doesn't happen much in Arkansas. I'm just curious, as to who among us has picked up road kill before. I have on a few occasions, but only if I've hit it or someone I know has. Usually it's too bruised to be much good.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Albert Einswine

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 07, 2014, 04:59:45 pm
Business has brought me to the Berkshire's, Catskills, and  Alleghenies. Deer carcasses are everywhere. I mean long dead flattened ones. This doesn't happen much in Arkansas. I'm just curious, as to who among us has picked up road kill before. I have on a few occasions, but only if I've hit it or someone I know has. Usually it's too bruised to be much good.

I've collected the bounty of the deer I ran over in Michigan when I was stationed up there in the Air Force. It would have been a crime to let those backstraps and hams go to waste. I just cut around and disposed of the bloodshot portions.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 08, 2014, 02:31:44 pm

I've collected the bounty of the deer I ran over in Michigan when I was stationed up there in the Air Force. It would have been a crime to let those backstraps and hams go to waste. I just cut around and disposed of the bloodshot portions.

Wow Albert!  What were you guys doing, getting them on take off's & landings?  Bet those prop engine's are hard on backstraps....

Ought to be a law up there, against pouring corn out on runways.....unsportsmanlike  ;D
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

AcornHunter

A couple of years ago, on a rural road, early one frosty morning, I was driving to an appointment.  I noticed a big doe lying dead beside the road.  I got out and looked at her, no traffic.  She was still warm and limber, no visible damage.  I thought about putting her in the trunk, but she was big and I had on dress clothes.

On the outskirts of the next town, with what a waste of so much edible meat probably going to waste eating at my conscience, I happened to see some men standing in a front yard down a side street.  It was in a poorer neighborhood.  I told them about the deer and where she was.

A couple of hours later, when I returned along the same route, she was gone.  I felt better.

I had an old friend who lived in Frog Level, Arkansas; he has now gone on over to the other side.  I miss him.  He could entertain with some good yarns.   If one looked closely along the right angle, truth and wisdom could be found in many of his stories.  I remember a line from one of them, "If anybody in Arkansas goes hungry, it's their own fault.  There's plenty of armadillos and possums on the roads."

kodiakisland

I've eaten a few backstraps out of roadkilled deer.  tasted pretty good.  The best road kill I've had was two quail that flew into the grill and got stuck there.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DeltaBoy

I took home several over the past 40 years. If they are warm and limber the throat gets cut and in the truck they went.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogBreath

Seems I recall a restaurant up around Pangburn or that neck of the woods that
only served road kill.

Two of my favorites were their Awesome Possum and The Chicken(that didn't cross the road).
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

DeltaBoy

Deer and Squirrels both are fine if you get them warm and limber.  I got several squirrels that had their heads ran over and they were just fine.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pigture perfect

I've got a buddy that skins every decent sized coon he sees, and sells the hides.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 08, 2014, 04:43:55 pm
Wow Albert!  What were you guys doing, getting them on take off's & landings?  Bet those prop engine's are hard on backstraps....

Ought to be a law up there, against pouring corn out on runways.....unsportsmanlike  ;D

No props, bro, all jets. As many deer as there were up there I never heard of a runway collision in the time I was up there. But on the highways they were worse than armadillos down South.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker