Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lower end bolt action rifles

Started by Grizzlyfan, June 17, 2014, 02:35:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyfan

Anyone have any opinions on the lower end bolt action centerfires?  Remington 783 vs. Ruger American vs. Savage?

Thanks.

Hawgon

I don't think there is anything out there right now better than the Ruger American.  Ruger has started turning out very good barrels and this rifle is generally a very nice shooter.  The stock is very trim and well shaped and the whole package comes in at around six pounds.  The Remington on the other hand, weighs in at over seven.

A Savage 110 is now considerably more expensive than the Ruger or the Remington and the Savage Axis might be the ugliest rifle in existence.

rickm1976

I'll second exactly everything Hawgon said, and word is that Remington's QC has taken a nosedive over the past few years.  I have a Ruger American in 7MM-08, and it appears to be very well made and is a tack driver.  It also has a detachable magazine, which makes unloading much easier and safer.  I couldn't be more happy with it.

Flying Razorback

I have not shot a Ruger American, but I have picked them up in stores.  I was impressed with the total package for its price point.  If I was going for a cheaper rifle or a first time rifle for someone then that's probably what I would get.

Are the lower end Weatherbys still an option?  I know for a little bit their Vanguard was supposed to be a good lower end option as well.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

kodiakisland

I would put the Ruger American above the Savage Axis and wouldn't even consider the Remington.  A better choice would be a Marlin X7 if you can still find them.

You do get what you pay for.  A disposable gun made with lots of plastic that will shoot.  For a truck/ranch/barn gun or a loaner that you don't worry about, they fit the bill.  For a gun that I would keep and use for the next 20 years or so, I'll pass.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

kodiakisland

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on June 17, 2014, 05:14:01 pm

Are the lower end Weatherbys still an option?  I know for a little bit their Vanguard was supposed to be a good lower end option as well.

The vanguard/Howas are better quality rifles and not in the same price point.  They are very good rifles for those on a budget and in my opinion more desirable than the American/Axis type rifles.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 17, 2014, 05:14:52 pm

I would put the Ruger American above the Savage Axis and wouldn't even consider the Remington.  A better choice would be a Marlin X7 if you can still find them.

You do get what you pay for.  A disposable gun made with lots of plastic that will shoot.  For a truck/ranch/barn gun or a loaner that you don't worry about, they fit the bill.  For a gun that I would keep and use for the next 20 years or so, I'll pass.

Agree with Kodiak about the Marlin X7, I own 2 of them, excellent gun for the price.  Nice gun for the regular Joe (which I am). Also agree about the Ruger American over the Savage Axis & Rem 783.  Friend has the Ruger.  Shoots great, nice feel, good price.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Grizzlyfan

Thanks for all the feedback.  Keep it coming if anyone else has had any experience with these rifles.

kodiakisland

Here's an article comparing the ruger to the marlin. http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner/130301

The American Rifleman a few months back had an article comparing some of these as well.

Hawgon

Marlin/Remington really hurt that rifle by refusing to sell it in places like Wal-Mart.  You can only buy it at gun stores.  Given Marlin now being the red headed stepchild of Remington, I can only assume that it was intentional to limit its appeal and to keep it from competing with lower cost Remington models.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Good article, Kodiak.

Buds gun shop (internet sales) currently has this Marlin bolt action starting around $314 in different calibers.

kodiakisland

Another gun to consider is the T/C venture.  I have not seen one in a store for awhile, so I don't know if they are still being produced.  I would take it over the Axis or any of the cheap Remingtons.  I wouldn't shoot the Mossberg rifle on a dare.

HogBreath

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 19, 2014, 12:42:07 pm
Good article, Kodiak.

Buds gun shop (internet sales) currently has this Marlin bolt action starting around $314 in different calibers.
Does anyone know if they still have the XL7 with a camo stock?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: HogBreath on June 19, 2014, 05:14:49 pm

Does anyone know if they still have the XL7 with a camo stock?

Yes, Marlin's  2014 catalog shows the camo stock.  XL7C 
I have the camo model in 7mm-08, great gun.  Bought it about 5 years ago.

HogBreath

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 20, 2014, 01:06:32 am
Yes, Marlin's  2014 catalog shows the camo stock.  XL7C 
I have the camo model in 7mm-08, great gun.  Bought it about 5 years ago.
I also had one of the 7c's in 7-08, liked it a lot, camo stock, scope and mounts & rings...stood it up against a tree and never could find it again. 

Just kidding, but...would like to get another one, think I'll get one in a .308 though..wouldn't mind a .270 or .06 though, or heck even a .223 or .243. 

They're all pretty cool.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: HogBreath on June 20, 2014, 05:31:53 pm

I also had one of the 7c's in 7-08, liked it a lot, camo stock, scope and mounts & rings...stood it up against a tree and never could find it again. 

Just kidding, but...would like to get another one, think I'll get one in a .308 though..wouldn't mind a .270 or .06 though, or heck even a .223 or .243. 

They're all pretty cool.

Agree.  Have one in camo 7mm-08, the other is a black stock in .243.  Both very accurate, nice trigger, reliable butter smooth action & nice stock that fits me well. Hard to beat for the money.  If I needed another rifle, I would certainly consider the Marlin X7 first.

tophawg19

why not just find a good used Remington 700 . few people shoot guns enough to hurt them anymore . as long as it's been cared for , i'd rather have a used high end gun . After hunting season it's usually easy to get good deals
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 21, 2014, 06:40:15 am

why not just find a good used Remington 700 . few people shoot guns enough to hurt them anymore . as long as it's been cared for , i'd rather have a used high end gun . After hunting season it's usually easy to get good deals

Nothing wrong with your suggestion at all.  I currently own 3 Rem 700's, very good rifles.  Used one in good shape should work just fine.

kodiakisland

There are lots of great options for bolt rifles these days.  I personally do not want any gun that has plastic or pot metal parts.  The better fiberglass stocks I can live with, but not plastic.  Time and temps will eventually do them in.  That doesn't mean they won't last many years and account for lots of great hunts, but eventually everything will fail.  I'd rather had good metal and wood. 

I think the guns made in the last 20-30 years are some of the best ever.  Lots of people go crazy over pre 64s and other such stuff, but the guns of today are more accurate.  I don't like some of them, but they are good guns.  There are a few (very few) that are turds worth avoiding.

If you prefer M700s and can't afford a new one, keep an eye out for a good used one.  Lots of great deals out there if you look long enough.  Same for M70s, 77s, etc.

Many people look at guns as tools, as a means for hunting.  I look at guns as functional art.  I want something to enjoy for many years and pass on to my grandkids.  I would not enjoy a ruger American or savage Axis because they lack the feel, fit, and finish I associate with good firearms.  They would certainly do almost everything I would need them to, I just wouldn't enjoy using them.  To me, part of the hunt is the gun and handloads.

It's hard to go wrong with any guns these days, especially if you are just looking for a tool.  In the long run though, expect to get what you paid for and you won't be dissapointed.

Grizzlyfan

Other than pawn/gun shops are there good online marketplaces for used guns?  River Valley specifically?

kodiakisland

Gunbroker is where I buy most of my guns.  I usually can't find what I'm looking for local.  Arms-list (remove the - as this site won't let you say the name for some reason) is another good tool to find local guns.

DeltaBoy

Pawn shop 700 or Savage 110 .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Paragould Bulldog

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 17, 2014, 05:17:11 pm
The vanguard/Howas are better quality rifles and not in the same price point.  They are very good rifles for those on a budget and in my opinion more desirable than the American/Axis type rifles.
The Vanguards are very good rifles, especially with the new triggers.  They accommodate a wide range of calibers, from flat shooting varmint to big game calibers. They are good for the hand loader too.

CallThemHawgs!

I have owned multiple Tikka rifles, little brother to the Sako line.

You will NOT find a higher quality rifle in the $400-500 price range. Period. The Ruger American feels like a toy compared to the Tikka T3 line. From the action, to the overall build quality.

Once you handle and shoot one, you will understand. Obviously opinions are like... well, you know. But, if there is a better rifle out there in that price range I have not seen it.

pick_DA_EAGLES

I got my son a ruger American in, .243. It shoots great and handles nicely. Best thing about it was cheap, so if he scratches it, no big deal.

DeltaBoy

Keep shopping and get what you want for what you want to spend. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.