Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Rivals

Started by beverly_21, October 23, 2012, 08:34:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rickm1976

Quote from: Ramtough on October 23, 2012, 08:54:52 pm
Bama!! I hate them almost as bad as I hate Texas. Every time I turn on the TV its Bama and Saban and I'm just sick of hearing about how they are so awesome. I pull against them every time they play just like Texas. I hope they get beat and miss the NC game this year.

There are very good reasons you keep hearing about them all the time, and you'd better get used to it until Saban retires.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Cure on October 23, 2012, 08:41:27 pm
Arkansas doesn't have a rival.

a good point. in the SWC we always considered UT our rival, but they didn't think that of us.
The rest of the frog.

hogsanity

ARK does not have a rivalry.  Every SEC team should be considered a rival.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2012, 01:51:51 pm
ARK does not have a rivalry.  Every SEC team should be considered a rival.

Isn't making everyone a rival tantamount to making no one a rival?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 25, 2012, 01:56:19 pm
Isn't making everyone a rival tantamount to making no one a rival?

Look at the definition of a rival.  A rival is someone competeing for the same thing you are, ie winning the SEC. 

A rivalry, at least in the sports sense, is when that game is THE game of the year.  Very few of those actually exist.  Ohis St/Mich  Bama/Aub Army/navy come to mind, as well as some non-football power schools like HArvard/Yale Lehigh/Lafayette and others.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2012, 02:09:50 pm
Look at the definition of a rival.  A rival is someone competeing for the same thing you are, ie winning the SEC. 

A rivalry, at least in the sports sense, is when that game is THE game of the year.  Very few of those actually exist.  Ohis St/Mich  Bama/Aub Army/navy come to mind, as well as some non-football power schools like HArvard/Yale Lehigh/Lafayette and others.

If we were to accept that definition, then any opponent would be a rival, since you're both competing for a victory.

The examples you provide would seem to contradict the definition.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Brand X Hog Fan

October 25, 2012, 06:01:14 pm #56 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:06:10 pm by Brand X Hog Fan
I don't care if we have a made for TV rival. I just want us to stomp a mudhole in the middle of LSU every time we take the field or court with them. Their fans deserve nothing less.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

urkillnmesmalls

October 25, 2012, 06:19:14 pm #57 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:21:04 pm by urkillnmesmalls
Quote from: nwarazfan on October 24, 2012, 08:53:36 am
We don't have one. 

We need for the LSU game to remain where it is on our schedule over any kind of effort of forcing a rivalry with Mizzou.  First of all, those of you too young to remember our basketball series with Mizzou especially in the 80s and early 90s, you don't want to have to deal with Mizzou fans.  Secondly, any kind of rivalry with Mizzou would be an irrelevant regional rivalry if it were to ever happen. 

For at least 3 decades, Texas was a rival.

But...a true rivalry is from both sides.  Texas never saw us as nearly the rival that we saw them.  A&M was/is way above us on their list of teams they can't stand.

As mentioned above...I shouldn't leave out OU either.  Still above us on UT's rival map.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

I think we don't have a rival because we're such an amiable bunch of fans.  Seriously.  For the most part, our fans are nothing like the craziness of the LSU or Bama fans.  We're passionate, but not crass and inconsiderate for the most part like some of the other schools.   

I really think that has something to do with it.  I know a LOT of people who have visited our state and say that the people are the nicest they have ever been around.  I'm talking about general people...not crazy loco drunken fans. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Soonerman12

OU is Texas number 1. I don't think they care about the hogs. Heck, A&M isn't even a rival anymore sive they don't play.

I, for one, would love to see a stadium built in Tulsa and/or have a permanent home and home with the hogs on a yearly basis. It'd be good for Arkansas for recruiting and OU to play an SEC school every year.

blunts4mallett

We should have set up a series with Texas instead of A&M. Sure we got stomped 5 years ago, but we would have given them a run for their money during the "good ol' days" of the late Petrino years. Beating the (f)aggs in Jerryworld was a good time, don't get me wrong, but I love watching the Horns lose almost more than I like watching us win. Anyone think we could potentially see them in a bowl this year?

Hoggish1

Quote from: lchog on October 23, 2012, 08:52:54 pm
LSU and their fans can say a lot of things, but they want an easier game to end the season, period. We have spoiled their season several times and if the refs hadn't stepped in a couple of times it would have been more!

I'm looking forward to messing up their season again, this year.