Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big Green Egg table build

Started by gijoejd, February 19, 2015, 11:21:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gijoejd

I'm building a table for my Big Green Egg. I'll make the 2 front cabinets today and start on the top. I made it all out of smooth cut cedar.

JansterZ71

Well done. Looks solid. You going to paint or stain?
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

PharmacistHog

Nice job.  I just used pine on mine and sanded the crap out of it and then used spar varnish all over it, but didn't put enough coats.  Think I'm gonna pull my egg and resand and try again. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

gijoejd

I'm going to put a clear marine grade sealer on it.   Just finished the cabinet doors.

bigstyx

Looking good. The clear sealer will really make it pop. Cedar top as well?

DeltaBoy

Looks Great and PharmacistHog did you use a sand and seal on that pine??    Sand it with some 220 wash down with some thinner and put on 6-8 more thin coats and let it dry 12-24 hours between the coats that should get you a nice depth and shine.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Good looking work.  I bought the 4 ft table when I bought my egg and it works great but something I've considered is having one built that will accommodate my large egg on one end and my mini egg on the other with the work space in between.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

gijoejd

Yes Sir, I built a cedar top.  Cut the hole yesterday.

gijoejd

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

bigstyx

bigstyx

Looks like a bag of Ozark Oak will fit nicely behind one of those doors and a plate setter should fit feet down in that space under the egg.

LSUFan

Can we get a NSFW tag on this thread?

I'm droolin' like a little bitch up in har!
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Rooka

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

gijoejd

Thanks!  I'm hoping to put the last coat of stain on in the next few days. The weather and a training class I'm in has slowed progress. I'll post a final pic when it's all complete.

DeltaBoy

Looking forward to it.

gijoejd

Finally got all 3 coats of sealer on the table. I'll wheel it around back this weekend and drop the egg down in it.

DeltaBoy

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: JansterZ71 on February 19, 2015, 11:56:47 am
Well done. Looks solid. You going to paint or stain?

No self respecting southerner would ever paint cedar........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 20, 2015, 10:15:03 am
Looks Great and PharmacistHog did you use a sand and seal on that pine??    Sand it with some 220 wash down with some thinner and put on 6-8 more thin coats and let it dry 12-24 hours between the coats that should get you a nice depth and shine.

Thanks for the advice, but I've decided to go another direction. I've ordered an end piece of granite with a hole cut in it. Gonna pull the top off mine and fit the granite then cap the outside with some black cherry I have in the shed.

bigstyx

I have the granite top as well and am glad I went that way. Since you pay for it anyway, make them give you the round piece of granite from the hole and it makes a nice lazy Susan for serving.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: bigstyx on March 26, 2015, 09:17:13 am
I have the granite top as well and am glad I went that way. Since you pay for it anyway, make them give you the round piece of granite from the hole and it makes a nice lazy Susan for serving.

Great thought!  Never even crossed my mind.

Silence O the Hams

Quote from: bigstyx on March 26, 2015, 09:17:13 am

Also great for cleaning fish!

DeltaBoy

gijoejd

I just realized I never posted once I dropped the egg in it. It was a perfect fit!!  Don't mind my daughter.....

BDSCT51

Awesome work! You have some mad dog skilz being shown with that job completion! Thanks for sharing with us.
Bleeding Razorback Red

baitshop

That's a beauty....both of them....congrats
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

DeltaBoy

LSUFan

Quote from: gijoejd on April 01, 2015, 11:37:46 am
I just realized I never posted once I dropped the egg in it. It was a perfect fit!!  Don't mind my daughter.....
FWIW, orange popcicles are the shiznit!  ;D

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LSUFan on April 10, 2015, 08:02:27 pm
FWIW, orange popcicles are the shiznit!  ;D

Tastes like corn dogs...................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PharmacistHog

Just about finished my table re-build. Hopefully have it back home and egg back in by tomorrow so I can start cooking on it again. I'll post pics of the inaugural cook. I'm very excited about it. It came out better than I ever dreamed.

PharmacistHog

DeltaBoy

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 19, 2015, 02:19:50 pm
That some fine wood working!

Rough cut black cherry from a guy with a portable mill. I paid 30 bucks for a stack. Planed it and squared it off. Came out beautiful, in my opinion.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 19, 2015, 02:26:58 pm
Rough cut black cherry from a guy with a portable mill. I paid 30 bucks for a stack. Planed it and squared it off. Came out beautiful, in my opinion.

Yes it did you should share that with some woodworking magazines.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: gijoejd on March 04, 2015, 08:09:05 pm
Finally got all 3 coats of sealer on the table. I'll wheel it around back this weekend and drop the egg down in it.

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 19, 2015, 01:04:28 pm

after:

What the hell....Would bang. Nice work, fellas!
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

gijoejd

DeltaBoy

PharmacistHog

Bump this thread for recent discussion.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 11, 2016, 12:12:39 pm
Bump this thread for recent discussion.
dang, mine will look KMart-ish

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 11, 2016, 12:32:30 pm
dang, mine will look KMart-ish

PP

Better than Target-ish. You might have to wear a bra and panties to grill a steak.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 11, 2016, 12:38:06 pm
Better than Target-ish. You might have to wear a bra and panties to grill a steak.
not that there's anything wrong with that....

PP

LSUFan

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 11, 2016, 12:38:06 pm
Oh Snap, Pharm done gone Bill Cosby on PP lol

DeltaBoy

I kicking around making for my Weber.

Pulled(PP)pork

I wish I had more time to really create a masterpiece, but my egg has been sitting in the garage for nearly a week and I've yet to fire her up. Ugh

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 11, 2016, 03:02:00 pm
I wish I had more time to really create a masterpiece, but my egg has been sitting in the garage for nearly a week and I've yet to fire her up. Ugh

PP

I just built mine really quick. Then used it for a few years before I tore it down and remanufactured it. I would do what you are doing and everytime you think of something you wish you had or had done write it down. Keep all your ideas together. In a few years build the table you always wanted.

DeltaBoy

Yep my concern is how hot my Weber can get.  So I want to go with a Granite top.