Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A nice hunting knife for this upcoming Season.

Started by 1highhog, August 15, 2012, 08:10:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1highhog

August 15, 2012, 08:10:34 am Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:12:15 am by 1highhog
My best friend, Lin Rhea, who makes knives as sort of a side job but which started out as a hobby hand forged this damascus knife a few weeks back.  For those who appreciate the fine art of blacksmiths and the craftmanship these guys put into their knives then it's really something to see, a piece of cold formless steel,, be hammered and folded many times over and to make the intricate patterns that is Damascus steel.  He had a-lot of time put into this knife, but was paid well for it at the Worlds knife Show in Atlanta.

pigture perfect

Beautiful, but I don't know that I would use it as a skinner though. I'm dangerous enough with a single edged blade. I'm assuming this is a display piece though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Verge

True Damascus isn't from folding metal. Did he make that, or use a blank?

SWD26

Beautiful knife and excellent finish work. Like PigturePerfect said though, it wouldn't be much for skinning.

IronHog

I wish I'd bought some of his knifes before he got famous in the knife world.

He's done really good work for years.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Rzbakfromwaybak

August 18, 2012, 12:34:44 am #5 Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:36:31 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Beautiful knife....

but that thing is too pretty to gut or skin a deer with.......& get blood all over it...
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

JM Gorilla

Sweet!

Quote from: Verge on August 15, 2012, 10:47:11 am
True Damascus isn't from folding metal.
He's right -- the 'damask' look comes from the reaction of trace impurities in the alloy when it is forged.

As a side note, back in the day the master bladesmith test required making a double-edged damascus dagger that would pass all of the stress and sharpness tests.  Was this a master project?  (I used to be pretty familiar with the process.  My brother used to be a bladesmith, and one of his knives was featured in Blade magazine back in the early 90's.  He gave me the knife -- I will see if I can't get some pics up.)

Verge

Quote from: JM Gorilla on August 30, 2012, 03:22:24 pm
As a side note, back in the day the master bladesmith test required making a double-edged damascus dagger that would pass all of the stress and sharpness tests.  Was this a master project?  (I used to be pretty familiar with the process.  My brother used to be a bladesmith, and one of his knives was featured in Blade magazine back in the early 90's.  He gave me the knife -- I will see if I can't get some pics up.)

That is most impressive. I can't imagine trying to make something like that from scratch.

1highhog

Quote from: JM Gorilla on August 30, 2012, 03:22:24 pm
Sweet!
He's right -- the 'damask' look comes from the reaction of trace impurities in the alloy when it is forged.

Yes, it is the same today as then.  Lin had to pass his master bladesmith test and was required to make a double-edged damascus dagger that would pass all of the stress and sharpness tests.  A true master project, but only one part of the test.  Lins dagger is now hanging in the Arkansas historical Museum on loan from the guy who bought it.  If I remember correctly it sold for $6,000.

1highhog

This is a knife Lin gave me because it didn't pass his quality test when he was a JS, he was just starting out so I told him I I would take it.  He didn't want to give it to me because it had a small mistake in the blade that would only be caught if he was showing the knife.  He was going to make a small hunter out of it instead of the Bowie, so I told him I would like it like it was, so he gave it to me, along with the Kenny Rowe Sheath.  I've been offered $700 for it at knife shows that I go to with him, funny how people will pay so much for a knife.

DeltaBoy

Cool Knifes but I use my 1980's Schrade sharp finger 105 for small game and their Bear fixed bade with 6 inch blade.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.