Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All you "cray-crays"...read the attached article.

Started by Ham Ham Pigelow, September 27, 2012, 10:35:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

September 27, 2012, 06:03:32 pm #100 Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:05:31 pm by Mike Irwin
Quote from: ADHog on September 27, 2012, 04:00:42 pm
The stupidity of this thread ashames me and reiterates me hate for Mike Irwin. This is by far the BEST article I have read in months if not years! I am ashamed that some of you all are allowed to be fans, not just of Arkansas but of any team at all. No team deserves or needs fans this ignorant, delusional, and redneck. Mike, go away, just go away. You're old. Go do old people stuff.
Sorry that you hate me. Not much I can do about that.

I'm not going away but I am old. I like it. The older I get the more convinced I am that censorship of any type is unacceptable.

There's no test you take to become a fan. You can be whatever type a fan you want to be. I'm rarely embarrassed by the actions of so called over-the-top fans. In a situations like this they're hurting. They don't whine about it. They get mad. They don't want somebody telling them that everything will be okay unless they believe it.

I would also defend your right to be totally positive about the situation right up to the point where you start telling other fans they have to be that way too. They don't have to be like you and you don't have to be like them.

None of this is going to hurt recruiting or scare some coach off.

Arkansas fans are as good as I've seen.

I'm out of this discussion.

CDBHawg

The stupidity of this thread ashames me and reiterates me hate for Mike Irwin. This is by far the BEST article I have read in months if not years! I am ashamed that some of you all are allowed to be fans, not just of Arkansas but of any team at all. No team deserves or needs fans this ignorant, delusional, and redneck. Mike, go away, just go away. You're old. Go do old people stuff.

Adolescent to say the least.

MuskogeeHogFan

Fans are allowed to be fans. Sometimes their actions are over the top, uncalled for at times and a bit childish in nature...much like your negative post above. I suspect that you are young, and your immaturity is illustrated by that which you stated. You are not required to follow the example set by others in being a fan. How you choose to be a fan is up to you, just like everyone else.

Lots of Arkansas fans are upset right now, and for good reason. Do I think that some of us tend to overreact sometimes? Yeah, I do. But I understand why it is happening. Maybe you should give it a try.

Mike Irwin has and continues to bring a lot of good to this board. If anyone needs to "go away", it is you.
Go Hogs Go!

TOM "tbw1"

Did you grow up in Arkansas?  Most Arkansans of proper upbringing understand that it is simple common courtesy to respect others and their opinion.  If you cannot treat someone with respect, then have nothing at all to do with them.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Arkiebrian

Quote from: jacobp on September 27, 2012, 10:51:22 am
That was one of the best articles ever linked on this site.

Every friggin poster on here should read it.
^^^

Newhopehog

If you are lucky you to will be old some day....then you can see if you just want to do old people stuff.....

Cosby

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 12:27:44 pm
People did what they had to do back then. There was some really unusual and really bad stuff going on and it was allowed to continue. Say what you want about the methods used. It worked.

It was one of the few times I've seen when the average fan rose up and said, we're not going to put up with this. They didn't and the problem got solved.

Have there been any banners flown about John L. ? Nobody is FOI'ing his cell records. This is a different situation.

Too many people in this state worry about the so called image of this state. I live here. I like it and if some guy in Ohio thinks we're crazy he can stick his head in a can.

What if you want to hire that guy from Ohio?

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I like it when Mike Irwin gets into his bottom drawer early in the day.  Schnaaps makes him fiesty.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

scootman

When fans stop being "cray-crays" is when you better start to worry. Apathy is a program killer. Just ask Ole Miss...
A new era in Razorback Football has arrived!

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Who put this guy in charge of the fans? Show me a school that has rational fans and
I'll show you a loser.

I think Mr. Wayne Woodrow Hayes put it this way: "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

WorfHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 06:03:32 pm

I'm not going away but I am old. I like it. The older I get the more convinced I am that censorship of any type is unacceptable.

There's no test you take to become a fan. You can be whatever type a fan you want to be. I'm rarely embarrassed by the actions of so called over-the-top fans. In a situations like this they're hurting. They don't whine about it. They get mad. They don't want somebody telling them that everything will be okay unless they believe it.

I would also defend your right to be totally positive about the situation right up to the point where you start telling other fans they have to be that way too. They don't have to be like you and you don't have to be like them.

Post more, read less. 

007 License To Squeal

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

El Puerco

September 28, 2012, 05:43:40 am #112 Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:47:36 am by El Puerco
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2012, 06:27:27 pm
Fans are allowed to be fans. Sometimes their actions are over the top, uncalled for at times and a bit childish in nature...much like your negative post above. I suspect that you are young, and your immaturity is illustrated by that which you stated. You are not required to follow the example set by others in being a fan. How you choose to be a fan is up to you, just like everyone else.

Lots of Arkansas fans are upset right now, and for good reason. Do I think that some of us tend to overreact sometimes? Yeah, I do. But I understand why it is happening. Maybe you should give it a try.

Mike Irwin has and continues to bring a lot of good to this board. If anyone needs to "go away", it is you.

Co-signed.

urkillnmesmalls

Jeff...the whole premise of this post centers on being "the laughing stock."  That's something I'm having a hard time understanding.  Maybe you can help explain this one. 

Why are the people who are now saying we're the laughing stock, also the same people who didn't give a rat's rear about what the media thought about us if we had retained BP?  Isn't that the definition of an oxymoron?

I have no doubt that there were many factors in the decision, and the one that seems to be ignored the most is the loss of trust.  Re-gaining that is one of the most difficult things in life in my experience.  Once it has been betrayed, it takes a doubling of effort to earn it back...and in many instances, it never is.  How many marriages have you seen where one cheats, they reconcile, and then a short time afterward it ends?  Trust is a big thing, and while it's the most obscure one to talk about, it is my opinion that it played a big part in why BP is no longer the HC here anymore. 

People are laughing...no doubt.  But they're not laughing at the UA.  They're laughing at JLS, and he's not going to be here much longer even if he manages to make it the entire season.  A year from now, with a new coach in place, they will just be old Youtube videos like the ones from MSU.  Nothing more.   

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 27, 2012, 05:06:21 pm
All I am saying is you gave a backhanded compliment then questioned his views.

I do care what people think about the state nationally as it pertains to my work.  Unfortunately what is front and center now is the football program.  We would not be near the laughing stock had BP been retained.

Here is te problem with national perception ad message boards.

Let a national TV personality say something good about the program and people will knock their own teeth out to say how they alway liked that guy.  The next week the same guy says something bad, and the same posters will say how he sucks and they never liked him anyway.

We should be a joke.  Our HC, our AD, and our program.  That ship will not steer itself.  It must have a strong rudder.  We had and lost that!
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

WorfHog

Hogs-n-Roses

Hoggish1

Pigsknuckles

Apart from the cray-cray (really?), can't argue with any of it. Still, those still in abject denial will find no comfort here. If you persist in equating the acceptance of reality (rationality) with being a loser, you need to step away from the keyboard. Those who keep there heads while those around them are losing theirs" probably do understand the situation (contrary to the trite adage).
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

RazorWorld

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Who put this guy in charge of the fans? Show me a school that has rational fans and
I'll show you a loser.

this

85AHog

Great article.  Here's a touch of reality.  For those who like to go off the deep end thinking they have the prowess to actually influence the administration; there's a reason you are not currently an AD at a school and why you would never be considered to be one. Ever.  You numb nuts think you know how to run a program better, yet the irony is that your very "cray-cray" irrational antics are something people who run a successful business AVOID.  Why? b/c they have business sense. 

It's a damn good thing a crazy ass 'fanatic' is NOT heading up our program.   ::)

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: 85AHog on September 28, 2012, 04:49:35 pm
Great article.  Here's a touch of reality.  For those who like to go off the deep end thinking they have the prowess to actually influence the administration; there's a reason you are not currently an AD at a school and why you would never be considered to be one. Ever.  You numb nuts think you know how to run a program better, yet the irony is that your very "cray-cray" irrational antics are something people who run a successful business AVOID.  Why? b/c they have business sense. 

It's a damn good thing a crazy ass 'fanatic' is NOT heading up our program.   ::)

So you don't think fans can influence an AD, huh? That's laughable......Ask Nutt what he thinks about that. The truth is that when ENOUGH "crazy" fans get fed up with the direction a program is going, their collective actions WILL dictate changes. History provides many examples.

85AHog

ummmmm....thanks for being example A and proving my point.

However, if you want to take THE credit for firing Nutt, you also take credit for the hiring of Petrino, and your "pull" is responsible for the horrible state he has left us, in regards to talent and the obvious fact that his assistants were nothing more than figure heads. Oh, and let's not forget that this snowballing horror story's current state; JLS.

So, congrats.  Job well done at "AD"' 'ing and having the pull to influence such power over an administration. You've done one hell of a job...... 

OH hey....I just proved my point again.

85AHog

To add...if that history ^^^^  you are using to prove your point is what you are proud of, you are more obsessed with your fanaticism than you actually are with us having a successful program. 

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: 85AHog on September 28, 2012, 07:09:12 pm
To add...if that history ^^^^  you are using to prove your point is what you are proud of, you are more obsessed with your fanaticism than you actually are with us having a successful program. 

Quote from: 85AHog on September 28, 2012, 07:09:12 pm

Your post is absolutely ridiculous.  and I refuse to dignify it with another response, Troll.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: hogsanity on September 27, 2012, 12:02:52 pm
See, acting crazy at games is EXPECTED.  But that is gameday crazy.  That is going shirtless when it is zero in green bay, or getting together with 3 other shirtless people to spell out Hogs on their torso. 

Stupid crazy is flying banners, believing that ESPN is really out to get your team, calling the AD's office more than maybe twice, actually thinking Saban is going to leave Bama to come coach your team, poisoning trees.  That stuff is stupid crazy. 

No one, not one person that even casually watches the Hogs, much less is a fan, not one can be happy with how this season has gone, but the response of many has been boderline psychotic.

So that's the cutoff?  I'm guessing you called twice.

85AHog

In other words you can't rebut anything I said.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 12:27:44 pm
People did what they had to do back then. There was some really unusual and really bad stuff going on and it was allowed to continue. Say what you want about the methods used. It worked.

It was one of the few times I've seen when the average fan rose up and said, we're not going to put up with this. They didn't and the problem got solved.

Have there been any banners flown about John L. ? Nobody is FOI'ing his cell records. This is a different situation.

Too many people in this state worry about the so called image of this state. I live here. I like it and if some guy in Ohio thinks we're crazy he can stick his head in a can.

+1

Sooie-cidal

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 06:03:32 pm

Mike Irwin is a voice of rationality in this typhoon of craziness called hogville. Thank you Mike for telling it like it is through good times and bad times.
P.S. Congrats on getting old, I too hope to be there one day
Quote from: Arthur Dick Ranney on September 24, 2012, 10:10:16 pm
well that is 7 more wins than this team is going to get eistinen

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Sooie-cidal on September 29, 2012, 07:27:38 am
Mike Irwin is a voice of rationality in this typhoon of craziness called hogville. Thank you Mike for telling it like it is through good times and bad times.
P.S. Congrats on getting old, I too hope to be there one day
It is not so bad except on rainy days or early in the morning. Waking up sore used to be because you did something that would make you so. Not so much now.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.