Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Options trading

Started by aristotle, July 04, 2008, 03:03:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

aristotle

Can anyone recommend a good online broker for trading options? I really don't want to be pressured by discount rates based on quota trading, ala Etrade. Checked out OptionXpress, and a few other full service brokers. I'm looking for the best overall options broker in terms of price/contract, reliability, and diversity.

Anybody knowledgable hogvillians on the matter?

Masshog

I have a buddy who trades options from home.  I will try and talk to him in the AM and see who he clears through.  I spent years trading options and designing strategy (mostly on futures and mostly for hedges).  If you ever have any questions feel free to PM me. 
My feets hurt.

aristotle

Quote from: Masshog on July 04, 2008, 06:51:37 pm
I have a buddy who trades options from home.  I will try and talk to him in the AM and see who he clears through.  I spent years trading options and designing strategy (mostly on futures and mostly for hedges).  If you ever have any questions feel free to PM me. 

Thx man, I probably will. Let me know what site he uses if you get a response. Looking at LEAPs probably....trying to find a good place to get started without leveraging the farm.

Masshog

Its a tough game for a beginner, so start slow.  Remember, you are buying a wasting asset and Theta can eat you up.   I am much more successful selling premium but in a very disciplined manner (futures stops in behind the option, wings added and so forth.  But,my experience with  stock options is pretty limited.
My feets hurt.

aristotle

Quote from: Masshog on July 05, 2008, 03:03:54 pm
Its a tough game for a beginner, so start slow.  Remember, you are buying a wasting asset and Theta can eat you up.   I am much more successful selling premium but in a very disciplined manner (futures stops in behind the option, wings added and so forth.  But,my experience with  stock options is pretty limited.

If you sell a call, you have to deliver the shares if they execute it, right? Or do your strategies prevent actual delivery of the shares if the call buyer wants them?

Like I said, I'm a novice trying to feel my way around right now. Your advice for starting slow will be well heeded.

CampuspostmanHOG

You probably have done some studying already but I saved this link from several years ago and thought I'd share it. It has some free courses and some pay ones.

http://www.21stcenturyinvestoreducation.com/

Here's another one for beginners:
http://www.tradingforbeginners.com/fl/l25/l25ar.html

BlackKnightHogFan

My advice, practice before you start.  If you win you will kick yourself for not being "real".  But, if you lose you will be glad you practiced.  I always consider opinions a zero sum game anyway.
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

aristotle

Quote from: BlackKnightHogFan on July 06, 2008, 10:16:39 am
My advice, practice before you start.  If you win you will kick yourself for not being "real".  But, if you lose you will be glad you practiced.  I always consider opinions a zero sum game anyway.

I did that with currency trading for several months before I started a real account. Probably should have stayed demo a bit longer, but that was several years ago now.

And you are definitely right on options being a zero sum game. That will be my biggest struggle going in I think. Identifying which options are at a good premium vs duration. I know it will take a experienced eye and a demo account would be great for me to start on.

aristotle

Thanks for those links, campus.

Hey Blackknight, know of any demo accounts for option trading?

CampuspostmanHOG

Quote from: aristotle on July 06, 2008, 10:25:50 am

Here is a link that provides "virtual" accounts:
http://www.optionsxpress.com/welcome/tour/quotes/virtual.aspx?SessionID=

PhillyHog

If you haven't, check out John Hull's Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives...it's the bible.

http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/~hull/

novack2

I trade with OptionXpress

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: aristotle on July 06, 2008, 10:25:50 am

Good question, I don't.  They are not my thing so I don't think I am the one to ask.  Risk is high so do your homework and be careful.
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

Masshog

My buddy uses options express.  Like the fills on the exchange traded options, but isn't crazy about the fills in the open outcry.  My guess is that as a novice, you will want to pretty much stick to exchange traded while you get your feet beneath you. 
My feets hurt.

aristotle

Quote from: Masshog on July 07, 2008, 05:20:58 pm
My buddy uses options express.  Like the fills on the exchange traded options, but isn't crazy about the fills in the open outcry.  My guess is that as a novice, you will want to pretty much stick to exchange traded while you get your feet beneath you. 

Thanks for the info and advice. I may PM you before I make a purchase. Going to try to find a demo account first to test myself.

Masshog

No problem.  I would be glad to help. 
My feets hurt.