Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fed holds the rate

Started by The Marmot, June 25, 2008, 01:27:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Marmot

at 2%.

No real response from the market either way. The vote was 9-1, and the lone dissenter, Richard Fisher from Dallas, wanted the rate increased to fight inflation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080625/ap_on_bi_ge/fed_interest_rates
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

BlackKnightHogFan

Statement was more dovish then I anticipated.  I believe their outlook supports my beliefs stated in the "Where will the Markets be" started by Mass.
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

Masshog

Feds between a rock and a hard place.  Greenspan has left quite a legacy for the current guy to deal with. 
My feets hurt.

Snort and Squeal

Quote from: Masshog on June 25, 2008, 08:11:18 pm
Feds between a rock and a hard place.  Greenspan has left quite a legacy for the current guy to deal with. 

I think Greenspan knew when to get out.
Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: Masshog on June 25, 2008, 08:11:18 pm

I agree and Greenspan created the housing crisis we have now.  I believe the fed is stuck, but I am under the opinion that they need to move rates higher SLOWLY now.  I know the issue will deepen the financial crisis so maybe it is funds only not discount window.  However, I believe the bigger problem is inflation and the dollar and the only way to fix that is to raise rates.  This nonsense that everything will moderate on its own is just that nonsense.  The fed said that in January and the dollar crashed and oil went up 40%.  Let the financial crisis play out and raise rates slowly.
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

HotlantaHog

Quote from: BlackKnightHogFan on June 25, 2008, 01:30:57 pm
Statement was more dovish then I anticipated.  I believe their outlook supports my beliefs stated in the "Where will the Markets be" started by Mass.
This is true. There is no eagerness to raise rates anytime soon.

Biggus Piggus

It's very possible that the economy entered recession in May.  Stocks may be telling us that.
[CENSORED]!

Masshog

I think we may have entered several months ago...  maybe not in official world, but in real world. 
My feets hurt.

The Marmot

Quote from: Masshog on June 26, 2008, 07:53:55 pm
I think we may have entered several months ago...  maybe not in official world, but in real world. 

Havent we had < 1% growth the last few months...... WITHOUT counting food and energy costs? You know, the two biggest costs in our lives.

Thats a recession in my book.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Masshog

Yeah, I think you can try to draw to fine a line on it... whether or not its an official recession isn't really that important.
My feets hurt.

HotlantaHog

Martin Feldstein, who heads the National Bureau of Economic Research, the official arbiter of recessions, says he believes we entered a recession in December or January (despite the statistical fluke that there was a 1 percent GDP in the first quarter.)

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: HotlantaHog on June 26, 2008, 09:58:15 pm
Martin Feldstein, who heads the National Bureau of Economic Research, the official arbiter of recessions, says he believes we entered a recession in December or January (despite the statistical fluke that there was a 1 percent GDP in the first quarter.)

GDP was .6 in Q1 and 1% in Q2.  I think stocks are telling we entered in May even though the GDP and Jobs numbers may not confirm.  If that is ture recessions usually run for 1.1 years and the market as a leading indicator usually starts the recovery 6 months prior to the end of the recession.  That supports my feeling of a market recovery by Q4 2008 or Q1 2009.

SLC

GDP has not confirmed a recession as of yet. 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

HawgPilot

Quote from: BlackKnightHogFan on June 26, 2008, 11:01:50 am
I agree and Greenspan created the housing crisis we have now.  I believe the fed is stuck, but I am under the opinion that they need to move rates higher SLOWLY now.  I know the issue will deepen the financial crisis so maybe it is funds only not discount window.  However, I believe the bigger problem is inflation and the dollar and the only way to fix that is to raise rates.  This nonsense that everything will moderate on its own is just that nonsense.  The fed said that in January and the dollar crashed and oil went up 40%.  Let the financial crisis play out and raise rates slowly.

Agreed.