Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about the stimulus checks?

Started by Michael11, June 10, 2008, 11:21:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael11

I am in college and file taxes. However my father still files me as a dependent b/c he supplies over 50% of my livelyhood. With that said will I get a stimulus check. I made plenty enough money for what the minimum was but...??? any help would be nice!
Michael Thomason   Rom. 10:9/2CO.5:21

HogBaptist

Quote from: Michael11 on June 10, 2008, 11:21:18 am
I am in college and file taxes. However my father still files me as a dependent b/c he supplies over 50% of my livelyhood. With that said will I get a stimulus check. I made plenty enough money for what the minimum was but...??? any help would be nice!

No.  Your father on the other hand will receive $300 for you.

Eddie Piggard

Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

HogNuttz

Quote from: Eddie Piggard on June 10, 2008, 01:09:27 pm
how can you file and he file?

When I had a part time job during high school I still had to file taxes even though my parents claimed me as an independent.  If you have a job you have to file a tax return, even if someone can claim you as a dependent.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Michael11

Quote from: HogNuttz on June 10, 2008, 01:16:36 pm
When I had a part time job during high school I still had to file taxes even though my parents claimed me as an independent.  If you have a job you have to file a tax return, even if someone can claim you as a dependent.
That is correct. You can file yourself and your parents not file you but that would be stupid on their part. As long as you are a student and you parents provide more than 50% of your income than you can still allow them to file you.
Michael Thomason   Rom. 10:9/2CO.5:21

Eddie Piggard

Quote from: Michael11 on June 10, 2008, 01:40:46 pm
That is correct. You can file yourself and your parents not file you but that would be stupid on their part. As long as you are a student and you parents provide more than 50% of your income than you can still allow them to file you.

okb, just been real long time since I was in school and it was an issue....my bad, return to your regular programming.
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

hog.goblin

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 10, 2008, 01:14:23 pm
You are over age 17 so your dad does not get stimulus $ even though you are still a dependent. You also don't get one for your tax return because your dad claimed you on his. My advice is to get drunk tonight

Correct, nobody gets the $300 (actually Congress will spend it somewhere I'm sure).  Don't forget to tip your waiter.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 10, 2008, 03:59:47 pm
I got $600 just for me. It was used to get this laptop  :D

I was actually referring to the OP and his parents...but glad to see you got yours and used it wisely.