Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I believe in coaches like I do politicians

Started by nwahogfan1, March 17, 2018, 11:01:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

March 17, 2018, 11:01:24 pm Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:13:14 pm by nwahogfan1
You can not believe a word that comes out of their mouths but you can believe they will accomplish close to what they have done in the past.

We have a good sample size to know what we will get out of Mike.  So if Mike stays another 7 years his record of wins and loses will be very close to what he has achieved so far.  So If you like the past 7 years of ZERO SECC or SECT titles but winning 20+ games with a bumpy roller coaster ride then you will be happy with the next 7 years.

I think we can find the right coach and do better so I would like a change.   Since we signed Mike to a 2 year extension I do not think Mike willl be forced to leave any time soon.   But maybe our new AD Yurachek will ask Mike to make changes in his staff???  Maybe Ask him to replace one or more of his very loyal but very mediocre assistants.  Maybe our new AD will ask Mike to hire an Assistant who is very good national or international recruiter to find those players with the size or skill set to get us a SECC, SECT title or a Sweet 16 or beyond?   Or hire an Assistant who's strength is making half time adjustments????   Or a new assistant who can teach us how to hedge and recovery on screens 30 feet from the basket so we are not guarding a PG with a Center???????    Or an Assistant coach who can teach our team how to run offensive sets for a hot shooter especially late in the game where we need a shot to win.   Or a assistant coach who teaches how to block out????

Men's BB is our 2nd best revenue producing so AD Yurachek wants Mike or whoever  the BB coach is to be successful and bring in lots of money.   

HiggiePiggy

We get it. You don't like Mike Anderson.  Ok. He isn't going anywhere today. So get over it and get on baseball or ready for football.  Only way Mike Anderson isn't here next year is if he chooses to leave. 

You don't like him, but you seem to be ok with getting rid of him now even though we have gone to 3 NCAA tournaments in 4 years.  Have not had a losing season in the sec in 6 years in a row now. 

No he isn't Nolan and Sutton, but he isn't Heath or Pelphrey either. Those 2 coaches had 2 winning sec seasons in 9 years combined. 

Do I like how we are inconsistent? No, but I do like that we are getting back into the tournament again. Will we get deeper in the tournament? No one knows.  You say sample size well all he has done has gotten better except this one year even though he made it back to the tournament.

Yes this year was disappointing and I am very happy that we are losing a lot of seniors that were out for themselves mostly instead of playing as a team. 

Mike Anderson will be gone if he shows any signs of not being able to get it done. Which he hasn't shown just yet. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Sivad

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 17, 2018, 11:12:02 pm
Mike Anderson will be gone if he shows any signs of not being able to get it done.
LOL

raz1965

Most A.D's don't tell coaches who to hire an fire as assistants are concerned unless discipline problems occur.  I know Frank was said to be one that may have done that, but in the new era don't hold your breath for such to happen, the head coach  has a job that depends on his own decisions. 

HogBreath

Will we get deeper in the tournament?  No one knows.  You say sample size well all he has done has gotten better except this one year even though he made it back to the tournament.

It all depends on match ups...as long as we have to play good, well coached teams.  Probably not.

Didn't improve during the 16-16 season, fours years ago, so that'd be two of the last four.

Just glad we're built for this time of the year.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ChicoHog

So many people think that if you disagree with Anderson's results that means you don't like him.  that is not the case.  We just think Arkansas can do much better than middle or upper middle of the SEC and 7-10 seed in the NCAA tournament.  It's kind of like Bielema.  I liked Bielema but he clearly (much more clearly than Anderson) was not getting the results.  Anderson is a good guy like BB is a good guy.  This is not an HDN or Petrino situation where the the coaches were incompetent or complete jerks who lied to their boss.  This is strictly about results over a pretty good sample size time period.  Sometimes you need to take a risk to move forward. 

Atlhogfan1

We get it. You don't like Mike Anderson. 

Such a stupid [CENSORED] lazy ass comment.

I've had this dumb darn thrown at me many times.  I don't hate or dislike Mike or the assistants or players.  But I damn sure hate this situation we were forced into. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 18, 2018, 02:43:55 pm
So many people think that if you disagree with Anderson's results that means you don't like him.  that is not the case.  We just think Arkansas can do much better than middle or upper middle of the SEC and 7-10 seed in the NCAA tournament.  It's kind of like Bielema.  I liked Bielema but he clearly (much more clearly than Anderson) was not getting the results.  Anderson is a good guy like BB is a good guy.  This is not an HDN or Petrino situation where the the coaches were incompetent or complete jerks who lied to their boss.  This is strictly about results over a pretty good sample size time period.  Sometimes you need to take a risk to move forward. 

I like Mike Anderson the person, I just do not like him as the coach of the Razorbacks.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rhames

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 18, 2018, 02:43:55 pm

I get being dissapointed but it isn't like Bielema at all. Bielema was pretty much a disaster here for the most part and completely went over the edge in 2016.

Anderson has underachived but he hasn't gotten to the pits of where Bret had the football program the past 18 months.

Now when Bud Walton starts looking like Razorback Stadium did this last season, they will make a change.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 04:11:33 pm

I get being dissapointed but it isn't like Bielema at all. Bielema was pretty much a disaster here for the most part and completely went over the edge in 2016.

Anderson has underachived but he hasn't gotten to the pits of where Bret had the football program the past 18 months.

Now when Bud Walton starts looking like Razorback Stadium did this last season, they will make a change.

Yep nothing like Bielema.  Bielema had no personal connection or protection.  A coach hired to do a job.  Got 5 seasons.  Didn't work for a variety of reasons.  We moved on.  IT'S HOW THIS SHOULD WORK!

BWA DID FOR 2 SEASONS!  We avg less than 50% capacity actual attendance for the 16 and 17 seasons.  It did not matter.  MA got an extension.  This situation is so ---- ------ up.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 04:25:49 pm
Yep nothing like Bielema.  Bielema had no personal connection or protection.  A coach hired to do a job.  Got 5 seasons.  Didn't work for a variety of reasons.  We moved on.  IT'S HOW THIS SHOULD WORK!

BWA DID FOR 2 SEASONS!  We avg less than 50% capacity actual attendance for the 16 and 17 seasons.  It did not matter.  MA got an extension.  This situation is so ---- ------ up.

First and foremost, coaches will always get "extensions" so they have at least 5 years on their contract. Did his buyout go up?

Also I'm not sure you can throw out the 50% capacity thing, true or not, with out a little context.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 04:30:25 pm

First and foremost, coaches will always get "extensions" so they have at least 5 years on their contract. Did his buyout go up?

Also I'm not sure you can throw out the 50% capacity thing, true or not, with out a little context.

Oh it's [CENSORED] true.

www.arkansasrazorbacks.com

You look up the boxscores and do the math if you don't want to look up my post history.  It would be the equivalent of a football coach having avg attendance in RRS of about 33,000 for 2 straight seasons.  Could you imagine?  2 seasons of 33,000 a game in our 72,000 seat stadium.  Of course you couldn't.  Didn't come close under Bielema.  But it did in BWA under Anderson.  What happened with Anderson?  So first and foremost, your attendance point was complete darn. 

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 04:36:11 pm
Oh it's [CENSORED] true.

www.arkansasrazorbacks.com

You look up the boxscores and do the math if you don't want to look up my post history.  It would be the equivalent of a football coach having avg attendance in RRS of about 33,000 for 2 straight seasons.  Could you imagine?  2 seasons of 33,000 a game in our 72,000 seat stadium.  Of course you couldn't.  Didn't come close under Bielema.  But it did in BWA under Anderson.  What happened with Anderson?  So first and foremost, your attendance point was complete darn. 

I just looked for 2017/2018. There were some games in there under 10k which are to be expected. It seemed like most sec games were over 15k.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 04:39:31 pm

I just looked for 2017/2018. There were some games in there under 10k which are to be expected. It seemed like most sec games were over 15k.

Did I say the '18 season? 

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 04:42:21 pm
Did I say the '18 season? 

You aren't really being clear about what you are saying. You can't even link to the info you're trying to prove.

Arkansas packed 274,446 fans into The Basketball Palace of Mid-America, averaging 15,247 fans per contest to rank second in the Southeastern Conference and 12th in the country. The Razorbacks had a season-best crowd of 20,355 for the conference opener against Florida, and 18,247 fans saw the regular season finale on Senior Day against Georgia.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/arkansas-among-nations-best-in-attendance/

That was for the 2016/2017 season.

So what seasons are you talking about?  I mean the last 2 years would be the most relevant when talking about attendance, right?

steveaustin69

We get it. You don't like Mike Anderson.  Ok. He isn't going anywhere today. So get over it and get on baseball or ready for football.  Only way Mike Anderson isn't here next year is if he chooses to leave. 

You don't like him, but you seem to be ok with getting rid of him now even though we have gone to 3 NCAA tournaments in 4 years.  Have not had a losing season in the sec in 6 years in a row now. 

No he isn't Nolan and Sutton, but he isn't Heath or Pelphrey either. Those 2 coaches had 2 winning sec seasons in 9 years combined. 

Do I like how we are inconsistent? No, but I do like that we are getting back into the tournament again. Will we get deeper in the tournament? No one knows.  You say sample size well all he has done has gotten better except this one year even though he made it back to the tournament.

Yes this year was disappointing and I am very happy that we are losing a lot of seniors that were out for themselves mostly instead of playing as a team. 

Mike Anderson will be gone if he shows any signs of not being able to get it done. Which he hasn't shown just yet.

3/7

Mike hasn't gotten it done for 7 years. You live on another planet to think otherwise.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 04:44:51 pm

You aren't really being clear about what you are saying. You can't even link to the info you're trying to prove.

Arkansas packed 274,446 fans into The Basketball Palace of Mid-America, averaging 15,247 fans per contest to rank second in the Southeastern Conference and 12th in the country. The Razorbacks had a season-best crowd of 20,355 for the conference opener against Florida, and 18,247 fans saw the regular season finale on Senior Day against Georgia.

So what seasons are you talking about?  I mean the last 2 years would be the most relevant when talking about attendance, right?

LOL

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 04:25:49 pm

Avg 9558

Avg 9015

Do I need to explain actual attendance to you?

packed?  LOL

rhames

rhames

You also know that comparing a Tuesday night's game attendance vs north west Virginia state community college in November doesn't have the same impact as playing a conference foe on Saturday in February.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 04:56:56 pm
You also know that comparing a Tuesday night's game attendance vs north west Virginia stare community college in November doesn't have the same impact as playing a conference foe on Saturday in February.

18083   UK game

Avg for this season actual attendance 13,329 
Avg empty seats per game = 5,871

13,329 is 69.4% of capacity
The equivalent in RRS would be about 53,000 showing up on avg per game.  The rent a wins included.  Could you imagine this happening?  How long will Morris last? 

We had 1100 empty seats for Kentucky.  Nearly 6,000 on Senior Day for the SEC Champs Auburn.  Holy hell. 

Atlhogfan1

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 02:58:27 pm
Such a stupid [CENSORED] lazy ass comment.

I've had this dumb darn thrown at me many times.  I don't hate or dislike Mike or the assistants or players.  But I damn sure hate this situation we were forced into. 

Well keep on crying about it because it is obviously doing really good. How about doing something about it if you want a damn change instead of crying every damn time like a little baby.  What are you doing to try and get a better coach?  Please name all the ones that will come here today? I'm sure proven coaches are just lining up at the doors.

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:02:48 pm
18083   UK game

The equivalent in RRS would be about 53,000 showing up on avg per game.  The rent a wins included.  Could you imagine this happening?  How long will Morris last? 

We had 1100 empty seats for Kentucky.  Nearly 6,000 on Senior Day for the SEC Champs Auburn.  Holy hell. 

But it's not the same thing. Surely you get that having 6k empty seats isn't the same as 25k.

That was my point with including context. There are also almost 3 times as many home basketball games as there are football games. With half of them being week nights.

There is so much you can critique the basketball program on, attendance isn't one of them.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 18, 2018, 05:05:50 pm

Well keep on crying about it because it is obviously doing really good. How about doing something about it if you want a damn change instead of crying every damn time like a little baby.  What are you doing to try and get a better coach?  Please name all the ones that will come here today? I'm sure proven coaches are just lining up at the doors.

I'm not Hunter Yurachek although I don't trust him.  He was a yes man for Tilman Fertitta at Houston. 

Your name coaches is something we heard during the Nutt era. 

The Arkansas basketball job is one of the top 4 in the SEC.  You can argue 2-4 where we fall.  Qualified coaches will be available when we are finally able to make a change. 

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:04:06 pm
Are you too naive to know what you are reading? 

I'm just going off of when you linked me to arkansasrazorbacks.com

So enlighten me? 

There no reason to get rude man.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 18, 2018, 04:48:46 pm
3/7

Mike hasn't gotten it done for 7 years. You live on another planet to think otherwise.

What are you wanting done?  Winning national championship? Because you know those grow on trees for Arkansas.  Since joining the SEC how many times have we actually won it?  How many sec tournaments have we won?  So really we haven't accomplished crap at Arkansas in over 20 years and now we have a coach that has finally got us going back to the tournament and we want to fire him because he just isn't Nolan or Eddie. My god are fans are a freaking joke. 

Let's fire him. He was going to only win 6 or 7 games in conference from the sounds of many on this boards throughout the year because all you guys want to do is cry and complain about every single damn thing.  How about stfu for once.  We are not a powerhouse anymore. We are a mediocre program in basketball and football. Get that in your head. Arkansas is not elite unless you want to talk about TRACK. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 05:07:36 pm

But it's not the same thing. Surely you get that having 6k empty seats isn't the same as 25k.

That was my point with including context. There are also almost 3 times as many home basketball games as there are football games. With half of them being week night's.

There is so much you can critique the basketball program on, attendance isn't one of them.

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 04:11:33 pm

It did.  For two seasons.  BWA was far worse longer.  Nothing changed.  Praise given and era extended. 

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:11:36 pm
It did.  For two seasons.  BWA was far worse longer.  Nothing changed.  Praise given and era extended. 

Again it didn't. And again, extensions are meaningless in college coaching. It's all about his buyout? Did his buyout go up?

Pretty much 3k people would have to show up to have the effect the attendance for the Mississippi State game did in football last year.  A dramatic site. Perhaps I was too general in my comment but that's what I was getting at 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:11:36 pm

You are wrong again, but go on ahead and keep up your complaining because you know better than everyone else. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 18, 2018, 05:15:09 pm

You are wrong again, but go on ahead and keep up your complaining because you know better than everyone else.

I listed ACTUAL ATTENDANCE.  Do I need to give you the definition of actual?

Our actual attendance on senior day vs UGa in 2017 was 16055 LOL. 

Attendance in propaganda piece = 18,247.  Actual attendance in box score 16,055.  Almost 2,200 no shows on Senior Day for an NCAAT team. 

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:21:05 pm

Our actual attendance on senior day vs UGa in 2017 was 10,117 LOL. 

Man you probably need to maybe take a step back. Seems like you're getting a little heated and emotional . All you have to do is elaborate. I know it's easy to talk down to people behind a keyboard,  but most of us have been pretty cival in the back and forth.

I see you corrected a typo. Sounds like you aren't so sure about your numbers either.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 05:24:55 pm

Man you probably need to maybe take a step back. Seems like you're getting a little heated and emotional . All you have to do is elaborate. I know it's easy to talk down to people behind a keyboard,  but most of us have been pretty cival in the back and forth.

Nope.  I'm just tired of the ignorance and naive BS when it comes to Anderson and the basketball program right now.  This soft mentality is why we are where we are and why it is continuing.

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:21:05 pm

Our actual attendance on senior day vs UGa in 2017 was 16055 LOL. 

Attendance in propaganda piece = 18,247.  Actual attendance in box score 16,055.  Almost 2,200 no shows on Senior Day for an NCAAT team. 

Then why did you even link to the site? Lol.

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:26:41 pm
Nope.  I'm just tired of the ignorance and naive BS when it comes to Anderson and the basketball program right now.  This soft mentality is why we are where we are and why it is continuing.

Aww ok. Well I feel sorry for you that it consumes you so much that you have to be rude to people. That's no way to live.

Every one here wants the razorbacks to win. At least we can agree on that.

Hope your day gets better!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 05:26:49 pm

Then why did you even link to the site? Lol.

Because it lists the actual attendance in the box scores.  LOL

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:02:48 pm
18083   UK game

Nice run down of the numbers.  Didn't realize it was still that bad.  I quit trying to make it to any games the day MA was hired.

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:27:56 pm
Because it lists the actual attendance in the box scores.  LOL

Oh well maybe be more clear with your directions instead of just linking to the university's website.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 05:27:45 pm

Aww ok. Well I feel sorry for you that it consumes you so much that you have to be rude to people. That's no way to live.

Every one here wants the razorbacks to win. At least we can agree on that.

Hope your day gets better!

My day is great.  Carolina is losing. 

rhames

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on March 18, 2018, 05:28:04 pm
Nice run down of the numbers.  Didn't realize it was still that bad.  I quit trying to make it to any games the day MA was hired.

Anderson got an extension for all of those sell outs  ;).  You can't make this darn up. 

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:36:32 pm
Anderson got an extension for all of those sell outs  ;).  You can't make this darn up. 

Again he got an extension for recruiting. Happens at every school.

Coaches have even gotten extensions and then got  fired less than a year later. I don't think you have to worry too much about that.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on March 18, 2018, 05:39:04 pm

Again he got an extension for recruiting. Happens at every school.

Coaches have even gotten extensions and then got  fired less than a year later. I don't think you have to worry too much about that.

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on February 05, 2018, 01:19:43 pm
I have been told by a person that works in the Athletic Dept that Mike got the extension because of all the sell outs. When the new Ad got here, he and Mike sat down and talked about the direction of the basketball program. The Ad felt like Mike deserved 4 recruiting classes with us now having the new Practice Facility. He has signed 3 now and will get a chance to sign 1 more. I am not saying I agree with this but I do believe my source knows what he is talking about. Mike will be 60 in a couple of years so I would say this will be his last job.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 05, 2018, 02:07:44 pm
Spot on.

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 05:45:25 pm

Well according to your info that can't be true. I'll maintain the notion it was so he could recruit.

Did his buyout increase? Did he get a significant raise? Those are the things that matter.