Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When to be worried?

Started by PaintballHog, March 31, 2015, 04:45:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 10:45:00 am
Nobody has won a championship in the BCS era without at least 2 top 10 classes on their roster. Recruiting rankings may not be an exact science, but they're right more times than they're wrong.

The national championship game was a perfect example of a squad of 4-5*s to a squad of mostly 3*s. Oregon was just bullied around by better athletes.

How do we catch Ole Miss and MSU?
I didn't realize that OM and MSU had national championship caliber teams or consistent top five classes. While Missy had a top level one a couple of years ago they didn't repeat it. The point is that if you REALLY want a high level program you really need to find better and more relevant examples.

Wildhog

We're not ever going to be a top ten recruiting team. 

We will win through evaluation and development. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Steef

Quote from: Wildhog on April 02, 2015, 09:04:25 am

I think so too.

Pork Twain

Exactly and I do not care if we lose the recruiting National Championship every year, as long as we put a solid product on the field.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 02, 2015, 10:44:40 am
Exactly and I do not care if we lose the recruiting National Championship every year, as long as we put a solid product on the field.

That said, we do need coaches that contribute on the recruiting trail.  Enos is awesome in that he actually goes out and recruits.  Chaney didn't so much.  JT was...ugh...he was just awful.  Singleton has his work cut out for him, as we NEED to sign some elite RB's THIS year.

But evaluation and development will always be how we win here at Arkansas.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PaintballHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 01, 2015, 10:27:35 pm
I didn't realize that OM and MSU had national championship caliber teams or consistent top five classes. While Missy had a top level one a couple of years ago they didn't repeat it. The point is that if you REALLY want a high level program you really need to find better and more relevant examples.

I used those two schools because they are closer to our caliber historically, and paint a better picture than comparing us to say Bama or LSU. Here are the past 6 classes:

Ole Miss:
2010 23rd
2011 20th
2012 47th
2013 8th
2014 15th
2015 17th

MSU:
2010: 33rd
2011: 34th
2012: 22nd
2013: 25th
2014: 35th
2015: 18th

ARK:
2010: 41st
2011: 21st
2012: 28th
2013: 23rd
2014: 29th
2015: 23rd

Ole Miss has obviously improved since the hiring of Freeze to surpass us on the recruiting trail. MSU seems to be more erratic, but in 2015 when we had a great class, they had a better one. For 2016, both are in the top 10 at this moment. OM will prolly end up with a top 10 class since they already have a 5* and 7 4*s. MSU will likely drop to late teens and early 20's.

My question is, is pulling these number of recruits early a factor on their recent success? It would make sense, the earlier it is, the more recruits available. If one gets more of their recruits late in the game, there's less to pick from. Hell, LSU already has the #1 player wrapped up for 2017.

So is the attitude around here of only focusing on recruiting when it's closer to NSD, correlate with our stagnant rankings?

I agree. I see the formula as

raw talent (recruiting) + development = caliber of your players

We have the best developing HC in CFB. He did more with less at wiscy than any other school and it wasn't even close. He is the Saban of development.

This development was able to get him to 3 rose bowls, but I think the disadvantage in recruiting was what held him back from taking the next step. I think if we can bring our recruiting into the mid teens, I think that would be prime position for an SEC title. 

Pork Twain

Ole Miss could not surpass us when they hired Freeze, because they were already ahead of us.  I guess you could say they lapped us and that was even with HDN vs BP.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Tomhog™

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 02:27:04 pm
You don't expect BB and staff to be better recruiters than BP and HN?

Not when it comes to team rankings.  I am mystified at how some of HDN's classes were ranked so high with reach after reach for signees.  I didn't see any reaches in BB's last class.  And yet, it was still ranked right there around where HDN and BP classes finished. I don't see us being a program that finishes top 10 every year. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Tomhog™ on April 02, 2015, 12:15:49 pm
I didn't see any reaches in BB's last class. 

This is what stood out to me, as well.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PaintballHog

Not when it comes to team rankings.  I am mystified at how some of HDN's classes were ranked so high with reach after reach for signees.  I didn't see any reaches in BB's last class.  And yet, it was still ranked right there around where HDN and BP classes finished. I don't see us being a program that finishes top 10 every year.

That's a good point. Looking back at later classes, there were alot of misses. Alot. With this last class, it seemed a bunch of really stable guys, which isn't measured in the rankings.

Pork Twain

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 02, 2015, 01:10:03 pm
That's a good point. Looking back at later classes, there were alot of misses. Alot. With this last class, it seemed a bunch of really stable guys, which isn't measured in the rankings.
The last three classes have been full of solid guys, with a few studs mixed in.

smb

The thing about recruiting is you just don't know? But I know for myself I always wonder why should a top recruit want to play for the Razorbacks. I think the winds of change is starting to blow the hogs way. But of course winning against the talent in the SEC has got to be a major determination as well as what the University of Arkansas has to offer for these young men. Not to mention we have the best fans in the world. Go Hogs!
GeorgiaHOG

hawgsmellgud

I will forever believe that the top 10 will be full of the same 10-15 media darling schools. The ones that espn pumps up and have big alumni bases. Are they good every year? A lot of them are. A lot of them aren't, but it doesn't matter they will start the year highly ranked, play a weak schedule and be in a big bowl. Which makes them ESPN darling's and the alumni happy... Wash, rinse, repeat.

We don't have a big enough fan base/state population to be ranked higher. Wasn't it last year the our average stars were higher than like A&m or someone very highly ranked? Yet we were 20 and they were top 5...
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PaintballHog on March 31, 2015, 04:45:44 pm
This time last year we had about 7 recruits committed, which included alot of our top talent in the last class. Right now we have two. Is this the cause for concern or was last year an outlier?

Also what's the story on Hardwick? According to 247 composite he's a top 10 ILB, and we seem to be his favorite. Why no offer yet? Is there something holding that up, like character issues or grades?

Just curious.
Well that's it then. We can now officially count this coming year's class a total and complete "bust". Obviously it matters not one bit who we might get to commit from here on out. Clearly lagging behind last year's pace makes this year's efforts a waste. Please someone go ahead and inform the staff they're a bunch of failures when it comes to this recruiting thing.

TNRazorbacker

Not to worry. Bielema has a system and he's targeting the right kids. They'll be on board when the time comes.

Arthur pigby sellers.

It's a little concerning.  It stinks that the Miss schools are getting better talent and will continue to be tough outs the next few years. 
I think our slow start is due to having a down year in instate talent, and the best in state player is not an Arkansas native. 
Every year is different but I guess we start off slow and have a strong finish.  Basically the opposite of last year

jgphillips3

What we are trying to do most matches what Tom Osborne did at Nebraska.  Stockpile the lines and build depth.  The 94 & 95 teams were composed of 5 recruiting classes of which three were in the 20's, one top ten and one high teens.  I think we can all see Bielema pulling classes of that level.  After winning the titles, their rankings shot up to top ten...but only AFTER they won.  We can replicate that model.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 03, 2015, 05:09:08 pm
Well that's it then. We can now officially count this coming year's class a total and complete "bust". Obviously it matters not one bit who we might get to commit from here on out. Clearly lagging behind last year's pace makes this year's efforts a waste. Please someone go ahead and inform the staff they're a bunch of failures when it comes to this recruiting thing.

I wonder if posters like this have reading problems. Just read the title and spurt off a rant of straw mans. Not sure why the need to get butthurt is coming from, you may need some fresh air.

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 03, 2015, 05:09:08 pm

I wonder if posters like this have reading problems. Just read the title and spurt off a rant of straw mans. Not sure why the need to get butthurt is coming from, you may need some fresh air.

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on April 03, 2015, 08:15:15 pm
It's a little concerning.  It stinks that the Miss schools are getting better talent and will continue to be tough outs the next few years. 
I think our slow start is due to having a down year in instate talent, and the best in state player is not an Arkansas native. 
Every year is different but I guess we start off slow and have a strong finish.  Basically the opposite of last year

I wouldn't mind a strong finish at all. I just wonder if there's any correlation to getting recruits early = better class.

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 03, 2015, 08:19:13 pm
What we are trying to do most matches what Tom Osborne did at Nebraska.  Stockpile the lines and build depth.  The 94 & 95 teams were composed of 5 recruiting classes of which three were in the 20's, one top ten and one high teens.  I think we can all see Bielema pulling classes of that level.  After winning the titles, their rankings shot up to top ten...but only AFTER they won.  We can replicate that model.

I'm a youngin(ish) still, so I wasn't able to see those teams lol. Will read up about them tho, thanks.

WorfHog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on April 03, 2015, 08:15:15 pm

Such a tough out that we shutout one of them and kept the other within a touchdown.

Pig in the Pokey

I'm pretty sure we will have a lean year rankingswise. There just aren't many exceptional kids out there with any interest in Arkansas this year. Most disturbing is at running back. Only kids on the radar I see worth a damn are devin white, elijah holyfield, devwaugh whaley, and matt falcon. All I can say is, we better land Devin. Other 3 ain't happening. And this is a very lean year for runningbacks nationally, and certainly regionally. Oh well, hope the kid from little rock works out. He has great SPARQ #s. Too bad ole Denzel is headed to ole pissy.

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 09:13:24 am
To clarify, I'm not worrying about this staff ability to recruit, just that at this point they haven't matched the bar they set last year at this point.
Chaos theory. No recruiting cycle is going to be identical to previous cycles.

Recruiting is like running a marathon. It's not how you start. It's how you finish.

BearsBisonsBoars

CBB has already stated that he doesn't much care about the rankings. He's looking for specific things on the field and off.

TBH, I think the rankings are largely determined before they're announced. Alabama and Texass and other "powerhouse" recruiting programs are going be ranked highly based on name power.

I'd rather take CBBs approach and get kids that fit the coaches' vision, rather than kids who some analyst considers to be best.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 04, 2015, 09:50:32 am

I wouldn't mind a strong finish at all. I just wonder if there's any correlation to getting recruits early = better class.

I'm a youngin(ish) still, so I wasn't able to see those teams lol. Will read up about them tho, thanks.
Well, well, well.........your main problem, from what I've gleaned, is that apparently you aren't happy or comfortable unless you're panicking or crying the "sky is falling". I have absolutely NO problem with reading comprehension. I clearly comprehend that virtually everyone of your posts morphs into a shrill and hysterical rant concerning something must be amiss because this, that, or the other is (or isn't) happening in a particular way or at a specific pace YOU feel is appropriate. Heck, if I recall correctly you were even complaining recently that we had a young man in who's a high school QB and something about why should the staff be considering another signal caller when there are other more pressing, at least in your view, needs? I mean is there ANYTHING this staff is doing that doesn't get you in a tizzy or your undies in a wad? Ease up or you're really going to give yourself a heart attack, or more seriously a hernia.

BTW as you apparently have such a disagreement/distain with the whole pace of recruiting is being done and/or the kids that are being targeted and recruited I honestly believe your efforts would be better utilized in sharing your thoughts and knowledge with CBB and staff. I mean as fans we're all supposedly interested in achieving the best for the Hogs. Therefore, please do us all a favor and put your constant worrying and fretting to better use and help the coaches out. Perhaps then we can finally beat those Mississippi schools you're constantly referencing at something.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 04, 2015, 11:31:44 am
I'm pretty sure we will have a lean year rankingswise. There just aren't many exceptional kids out there with any interest in Arkansas this year. Most disturbing is at running back. Only kids on the radar I see worth a damn are devin white, elijah holyfield, devwaugh whaley, and matt falcon. All I can say is, we better land Devin. Other 3 ain't happening. And this is a very lean year for runningbacks nationally, and certainly regionally. Oh well, hope the kid from little rock works out. He has great SPARQ #s. Too bad ole Denzel is headed to ole pissy.
Perhaps, perhaps not. As we know the "season" is still young as it comes to recruiting. One rarely knows at this point what exactly the rest of the offseason will bring from the standpoint of recruits.

20hog11

Quote from: smb on April 03, 2015, 06:39:30 am
The thing about recruiting is you just don't know? But I know for myself I always wonder why should a top recruit want to play for the Razorbacks. I think the winds of change is starting to blow the hogs way. But of course winning against the talent in the SEC has got to be a major determination as well as what the University of Arkansas has to offer for these young men. Not to mention we have the best fans in the world. Go Hogs!

Winning did nothing for us back when Petrino was here. I find it odd that teams like Baylor and Oregon can start winning and now they recruit with the best of them. Location has a lot to do with it in my opinion. Mississippi has a lot more instate talent year in year out. We are a lot like Wisconsin. We need to rely on outside talent and sometimes the leftover players to fill our classes. We do steal the Kirklands and Wallaces from other teams from time to time, but for the most part the top teams are getting the players they want. Development will be our road to a championship because until we start to be in the national title chase every year, we will not recruit like Georgia, Bama and the rest of the teams that recruit top classes year after year.

Biggus Piggus

All recruiting gets done by the first week of April. Everything else is scraps. Panic! Panic now!
[CENSORED]!

HogPound

Quote from: PaintballHog on March 31, 2015, 04:45:44 pm
This time last year we had about 7 recruits committed, which included alot of our top talent in the last class. Right now we have two. Is this the cause for concern or was last year an outlier?

Also what's the story on Hardwick? According to 247 composite he's a top 10 ILB, and we seem to be his favorite. Why no offer yet? Is there something holding that up, like character issues or grades?

Just curious.
Chicken little!!!!!!!!!!

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 04, 2015, 10:00:42 am
Such a tough out that we shutout one of them and kept the other within a touchdown.
Yes losing to a team 2 yrs in a row like we have to Miss State would make them a tough out.  Ole Miss is generally a competitiive match up for us anyway, and them getting recruiting classes in the top 20 for four consecutive years does bother me some.  Of course the talent has to be developed. 

Prestworthy

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on March 31, 2015, 05:09:09 pm
Hardwick has some grade issues...everybody is interested in seeing how he does this semester to help that situation
Can I tutor him for free?

jackflash

The difference for me in this staff. Is they are recruiting defense players where other staffs didn't or couldn't get them.

cc

After talking to a young man that is a family member that has been recruited by this staff along with several other SEC schools, I have a tremendous amount of confidence in them.  After hearing first hand how this staff is recruiting, it is way different than anything we have had and different than the other schools.  It may not be the way some want it, but it working the way the coach wants it. 

I've also read here about the character issue is just some sunshine being pumped.  A reason why we get a mid 3- star instead of a higher ranked player.  After seeing it firsthand, it is not.  Coach wants talent but wants players with enough discipline to be coached.  Maybe I've not kept up with some head coaches, but not read where many head coaches get on a plane at 3 in the morning to fly to PB.  Then get in a car to drive to Star City to be there before 6 am to watch a player lift weights.  Which also is the week said player commits.

Coach B is about building relationships with recruits and families and not trying to bring in 250 players in one weekend for "big whatever weekend".  I think we will see great results and this class will be top 20-25.  I think success will breed success and classes will get higher ranked.

Mitch C

The official day to begin worrying officially about recruiting is June 31.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 04, 2015, 01:38:45 pm
Perhaps, perhaps not. As we know the "season" is still young as it comes to recruiting. One rarely knows at this point what exactly the rest of the offseason will bring from the standpoint of recruits.
i'd usually agree but this year everybody is loading up early and there is just a dearth of high stars. i'm sure we'll be 'fine' , like top 30. But, i for one was hoping for this to be the year we get another 5* running back and a 5* or two on defense. Oh well.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

PaintballHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 04, 2015, 01:36:31 pm
Well, well, well.........your main problem, from what I've gleaned, is that apparently you aren't happy or comfortable unless you're panicking or crying the "sky is falling". I have absolutely NO problem with reading comprehension. I clearly comprehend that virtually everyone of your posts morphs into a shrill and hysterical rant concerning something must be amiss because this, that, or the other is (or isn't) happening in a particular way or at a specific pace YOU feel is appropriate. Heck, if I recall correctly you were even complaining recently that we had a young man in who's a high school QB and something about why should the staff be considering another signal caller when there are other more pressing, at least in your view, needs? I mean is there ANYTHING this staff is doing that doesn't get you in a tizzy or your undies in a wad? Ease up or you're really going to give yourself a heart attack, or more seriously a hernia.

BTW as you apparently have such a disagreement/distain with the whole pace of recruiting is being done and/or the kids that are being targeted and recruited I honestly believe your efforts would be better utilized in sharing your thoughts and knowledge with CBB and staff. I mean as fans we're all supposedly interested in achieving the best for the Hogs. Therefore, please do us all a favor and put your constant worrying and fretting to better use and help the coaches out. Perhaps then we can finally beat those Mississippi schools you're constantly referencing at something.

Not sure why you think I'm panicing. Forums are meant for open discussion. Not just to be cheerleaders of everything the coach does and attack posters who bring up concerns. If you have something to say on the topic to refute my posts then say it, but your mindless rant about me personally is just a waste of time. Enjoy your Easter Sunday.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 05, 2015, 11:52:11 am
i'd usually agree but this year everybody is loading up early and there is just a dearth of high stars. i'm sure we'll be 'fine' , like top 30. But, i for one was hoping for this to be the year we get another 5* running back and a 5* or two on defense. Oh well.
Again, with the sake of being repetitive, there are still some very highly regarded recruits to be had. Not saying an abundance of 5s still left; however, there are still plenty of 4s and certainly highly thought of 3s for the taking. And as we've all seen CBB doesn't necessarily need the "top dog" at his position to make a kid work out very well on The Hill. At this point, unlike "crying wolf" paintball I'm certainly NOT hitting the panic button in the least.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Mitch C on April 05, 2015, 09:12:36 am
The official day to begin worrying officially about recruiting is June 31.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 04, 2015, 09:01:59 pm
All recruiting gets done by the first week of April. Everything else is scraps. Panic! Panic now!

Quote from: HogPound on April 04, 2015, 09:13:16 pm
Chicken little!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to respond to the topic then go ahead, but please leave the trolling out. Especially if it's the same crappy jokes that 10 posters on the first page already exausted.

Quote from: cc on April 05, 2015, 08:27:56 am
After talking to a young man that is a family member that has been recruited by this staff along with several other SEC schools, I have a tremendous amount of confidence in them.  After hearing first hand how this staff is recruiting, it is way different than anything we have had and different than the other schools.  It may not be the way some want it, but it working the way the coach wants it. 

I've also read here about the character issue is just some sunshine being pumped.  A reason why we get a mid 3- star instead of a higher ranked player.  After seeing it firsthand, it is not.  Coach wants talent but wants players with enough discipline to be coached.  Maybe I've not kept up with some head coaches, but not read where many head coaches get on a plane at 3 in the morning to fly to PB.  Then get in a car to drive to Star City to be there before 6 am to watch a player lift weights.  Which also is the week said player commits.

Coach B is about building relationships with recruits and families and not trying to bring in 250 players in one weekend for "big whatever weekend".  I think we will see great results and this class will be top 20-25.  I think success will breed success and classes will get higher ranked.

Great post and thanks for the insight. I hope more and more recruits start respecting that over schools that excuses horrible behavior. As a parent I would be very impressed.

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 05, 2015, 11:52:11 am

Agreed. If we don't get a top rb recruit this class and Collins leaves/gets hurt. It won't be good. I think Singleton will help alot tho.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 05, 2015, 12:59:11 pm
Not sure why you think I'm panicing. Forums are meant for open discussion. Not just to be cheerleaders of everything the coach does and attack posters who bring up concerns. If you have something to say on the topic to refute my posts then say it, but your mindless rant about me personally is just a waste of time. Enjoy your Easter Sunday.
I'm well aware this is a public forum, so thanks for nothing when it comes to your lecture....Easter Sunday or not. However, IF this were your first time to post a comment with any type of alarmist tone I would say nary a word. Unfortunately, without almost any exception, the general trend of your posts take on a frantic "woe is us" form of communication. And after reading the comments of other posters apparently I'm far from being the only person with that reaction. The "chicken little" reference is certainly not exclusive to me judging by the comments of others.

As far as being some type "cheerleader" you can stuff that in your Easter egg and hide it wherever....while I do generally agree with the job being done by CBB and staff, it doesn't mean I always agree. For example I was not necessary happy or in agreement with his handling of BA in the Missouri game. I honestly believe we lost that game by coaches' insistence of leaving the young man in during the second half. To me it was very obvious his shoulder injury was not going to permit him to run the full offense as we needed to do so. In addition, there are some other issues I don't always necessarily go along with. However, despite my right as a fan to agree or not, it changes nothing from the fact that Bret and his staff have the right to make the decisions THEY believe are the correct ones, whether or not I do as well. So....before you further blather on about my mindless rants and so on let's just stop this whole mess and agree that I'll stop my supposed "rants', in your mind at least, if you'll also agree to quit constantly hitting the panic button because at this point in the year, and with some 10 months left until NSD, we only have two public commits. Otherwise I'm afraid we'll have to continue boring/bothering the rest of our fellow Hogvillains with our "agree to disagree" posts. With that have a wonderful Easter as well.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 05, 2015, 01:18:13 pm
I'm well aware this is a public forum, so thanks for nothing when it comes to your lecture....Easter Sunday or not. However, IF this were your first time to post a comment with any type of alarmist tone I would say nary a word. Unfortunately, without almost any exception, the general trend of your posts take on a frantic "woe is us" form of communication. And after reading the comments of other posters apparently I'm far from being the only person with that reaction. The "chicken little" reference is certainly not exclusive to me judging by the comments of others.

As far as being some type "cheerleader" you can stuff that in your Easter egg and hide it wherever....while I do generally agree with the job being done by CBB and staff, it doesn't mean I always agree. For example I was not necessary happy or in agreement with his handling of BA in the Missouri game. I honestly believe we lost that game by coaches' insistence of leaving the young man in during the second half. To me it was very obvious his shoulder injury was not going to permit him to run the full offense as we needed to do so. In addition, there are some other issues I don't always necessarily go along with. However, despite my right as a fan to agree or not, it changes nothing from the fact that Bret and his staff have the right to make the decisions THEY believe are the correct ones, whether or not I do as well. So....before you further blather on about my mindless rants and so on let's just stop this whole mess and agree that I'll stop my supposed "rants', in your mind at least, if you'll also agree to quit constantly hitting the panic button because at this point in the year, and with some 10 months left until NSD, we only have two public commits. Otherwise I'm afraid we'll have to continue boring/bothering the rest of our fellow Hogvillains with our "agree to disagree" posts. With that have a wonderful Easter as well.

Will you please post quotes where I have "hit the panic button". I've done nothing that but post facts of our direct SEC competition getting recruits earlier and improving their classes, while last year when had an influx of early recruits, it became one of our best classes. I have not posted anything about this class being lost or any emotionally fueled comments, just bringing up a discussion that other posters have agreed with me on. I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Vantage 8 dude

April 05, 2015, 02:22:45 pm #88 Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:34:34 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: PaintballHog on April 05, 2015, 01:29:18 pm
Will you please post quotes where I have "hit the panic button". I've done nothing that but post facts of our direct SEC competition getting recruits earlier and improving their classes, while last year when had an influx of early recruits, it became one of our best classes. I have not posted anything about this class being lost or any emotionally fueled comments, just bringing up a discussion that other posters have agreed with me on. I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Well if only about two months into the recruiting season posting we only have two commits versus the seven or so we had at this time last year and "when to be  worried"? isn't striking a note of some panic isn't overreacting then I'm not sure what is. I'll remind you that the recruiting "game" is a very unpredictable one-kind of like the state's spring weather pattern-and just because we're not at the point we were last year doesn't necessarily mean anything in the end. At the risk of being that "cheerleader" you accused me of being earlier I DO have complete faith in our ability to land the type players the staff feels are appropriate and wanted. Does that mean we'll always succeed? Of course not. Does that mean we'll be in the lead when it comes to the number of commits early in the spring: not very likely. However, in the end I think we've seen that we're constantly improving and upgrading our talent level with HIGH CHARACTER, as well as skilled, athletic players. Remember too that when it comes to the pool of instate players CBB has a definite philosophy: he wants to see them "up close and personal" before he offers. Whether or not that's the right approach or not I have no idea, only an opinion (which I won't share). That WILL, however, likely have an impact on the time needed to get some of the instate commitments. And as far as out of state kids I would remind you that not only are pursuing the quality of player we've rarely done before, but in this staff's third year many of the geographical areas of emphasis are still being developed and cultivated. Like it or not, that too will have an influence on how quickly some of our targets decide.

As far as where we now stand versus our SEC brethren IMO it matters little in the end. What DOES matter is how many QUALITY kids that can help our program improve and compete we actually sign in FEBRUARY 2016, not those who've verbaled in the spring of '15. As someone far wiser than I observed recently on here: "Recruiting is like a marathon, not a sprint. It's not how fast you start; rather it's how you actually finish that tells the story of the race".  To me that really sums up the whole story of the recruiting game. It's who you actually ink at the end of a LONG, often years long, process that's the only thing that matters. Let them have their early leads when it comes to class rankings; I'm only interested in where we stand on NSD '16. Saying these things without emotion, rancor, or criticism. BTW since I'm NOT in a position to personally judge or question the staff on it's needs or approach to "what comes next" I'll certainly try to refrain from posting this following zinger from "you know who" that was posted on 4/1 around 12:49:28 concerning an upcoming Saturday (yesterday) visit from Keller, Texas QB Cabb Griffin: "Another QB visiting Saturday, holy crap why so many? Let's get some RBs and some OTs to start visiting.....". Nice timing that as I'll assume it was posted as a mere April Fool's joke.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 05, 2015, 02:22:45 pm
Well if only about two months into the recruiting season posting we only have two commits versus the seven or so we had at this time last year and "when to be  worried"? isn't striking a note of some panic isn't overreacting then I'm not sure what is. I'll remind you that the recruiting "game" is a very unpredictable one-kind of like the state's spring weather pattern-and just because we're not at the point we were last year doesn't necessarily mean anything in the end. At the risk of being that "cheerleader" you accused me of being earlier I DO have complete faith in our ability to land the type players the staff feels are appropriate and wanted. Does that mean we'll always succeed? Of course not. Does that mean we'll be in the lead when it comes to the number of commits early in the spring: not very likely. However, in the end I think we've seen that we're constantly improving and upgrading our talent level with HIGH CHARACTER, as well as skilled, athletic players. Remember too that when it comes to the pool of instate players CBB has a definite philosophy: he wants to see them "up close and personal" before he offers. Whether or not that's the right approach or not I have no idea, only an opinion (which I won't share). That WILL, however, likely have an impact on the time needed to get some of the instate commitments. And as far as out of state kids I would remind you that not only are pursuing the quality of player we've rarely done before, but in this staff's third year many of the geographical areas of emphasis are still being developed and cultivated. Like it or not, that too will have an influence on how quickly some of our targets decide.

As far as where we now stand versus our SEC brethren IMO it matters little in the end. What DOES matter is how many QUALITY kids that can help our program improve and compete we actually sign in FEBRUARY 2016, not those who've verbaled in the spring of '15. As someone far wiser than I observed recently on here: "Recruiting is like a marathon, not a sprint. It's not how fast you start; rather it's how you actually finish that tells the story of the race".  To me that really sums up the whole story of the recruiting game. It's who you actually ink at the end of a LONG, often years long, process that's the only thing that matters. Let them have their early leads when it comes to class rankings; I'm only interested in where we stand on NSD '16. Saying these things without emotion, rancor, or criticism. BTW since I'm NOT in a position to personally judge or question the staff on it's needs or approach to "what comes next" I'll certainly try to refrain from posting this following zinger from "you know who" that was posted on 4/1 around 12:49:28 concerning an upcoming Saturday (yesterday) visit from Keller, Texas QB Cabb Griffin: "Another QB visiting Saturday, holy crap why so many? Let's get some RBs and some OTs to start visiting.....". Nice timing that as I'll assume it was posted as a mere April Fool's joke.

If you believe we'll end up with a good class then fine, I'm not disagreeing with that.

All I'm saying is OM and MSU is pulling away from us in recruiting. They are also getting recruits earlier in the year lIke the other big schools. When we did that last year we ended up with a top 3 class in our history. Does getting recruits earlier effect our ranking at the end, and is it concerning we only have 2 when the rest of the SECW is in the top 10?

That's all I'm asking. If you think it will work itself then that's fine. No need to get upset and spend Easter on a crusade on a message board.

Do you not think we need to have more rbs and OTs visiting? Since our 3rd string rb hurt his act again, and 1 starter a senior and the other could easily leave early. We also have a true freshman 2 deep on the depth chart at OT, that played guard in hs. Not sure how you don't understand those are needs for us over another qb.

Pig in the Pokey

I guess we could always get lucky again and have Alex come back, but with a fresh QB coming in, unless they are like best buds or something, I can't see that. RBs lifespan in the NFL are just two short. 3-5 years is enough for a little rookie contract and MAYBE one more. That's why I am shocked J-Will came back. Although Coach B's style of sharing carries is a good point to make to recruits and certainly helps their longevity.
@Slackaveli

PaintballHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 05, 2015, 03:48:10 pm
I guess we could always get lucky again and have Alex come back, but with a fresh QB coming in, unless they are like best buds or something, I can't see that. RBs lifespan in the NFL are just two short. 3-5 years is enough for a little rookie contract and MAYBE one more. That's why I am shocked J-Will came back. Although Coach B's style of sharing carries is a good point to make to recruits and certainly helps their longevity.

I read on MMQB that people close to the team say he wants at least a year that he's the guy. But we know how people's sources go. Lol

Steef

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 05, 2015, 04:14:02 pm
I read on MMQB that people close to the team say he wants at least a year that he's the guy. But we know how people's sources go. Lol

That conversation is FAR from confirmed.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 05, 2015, 03:31:31 pm
If you believe we'll end up with a good class then fine, I'm not disagreeing with that.

All I'm saying is OM and MSU is pulling away from us in recruiting. They are also getting recruits earlier in the year lIke the other big schools. When we did that last year we ended up with a top 3 class in our history. Does getting recruits earlier effect our ranking at the end, and is it concerning we only have 2 when the rest of the SECW is in the top 10?

That's all I'm asking. If you think it will work itself then that's fine. No need to get upset and spend Easter on a crusade on a message board.

Do you not think we need to have more rbs and OTs visiting? Since our 3rd string rb hurt his act again, and 1 starter a senior and the other could easily leave early. We also have a true freshman 2 deep on the depth chart at OT, that played guard in hs. Not sure how you don't understand those are needs for us over another qb.
I'd be careful about accusing me of being on a "crusade". I've never said (or even hinted) that we don't need to look at rbs, offensive lineman and almost every possible position. However, what I HAVE tried to do is not over react, which is really what you did with your commit concerning the QB visitor, when it comes to any particular young man, no matter the position, visiting The Hill. Earth to Paintball: a visit, ANY visit, doesn't necessarily mean an offer or acceptance. Besides, I seriously doubt that in the end we're likely going to run out of visits available for kids (any position) we're really serious about. In addition, unless you honestly think the staff is totally unaware of our needs I have a strong hunch they're already fully cognizent of who and what positions need to be targeted for upcoming seasons. Since they've doing it a LOT longer than any of us, and because their long term livelihood depends on recruiting success, I'll put their expertise up against yours, mine, or anyone else on here...so let's try to remain calm and let them entertain anyone they feel willing to let visit.

As far as my being "upset" and spending a beautiful Easter, as they all are, on a "crusade" (as you call it) nothing could be further from the truth. I've merely continued to respond and tried rationally answering everyone of your frantic posts. However, I can clearly see was a mistake. Several entries ago I indicated that other members were very likely MORE than ready to see this whole debate between us be put to rest. Since by virtue of the recognition that it "takes two to tango" I'll close out with an assurance that this "tit-for-tat" serves no other purpose than expose others to our differences of opinion. I'd suggest if you want to respond further you do so with a wall-serves a far better purpose that way; it also allows you to express your concerns to something that might actually care about your alarms.

ricepig

Quote from: steefhog on April 05, 2015, 04:17:07 pm

Dude, I heard it from the guy that said Gruden was the new coach, Auburn lock!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2015, 04:38:06 pm
Who's the AWbarn lock: Gruden or someone else? Can't be Gruden. Augustus as yet hasn't performed his ten required miracles down in Opelika to be allowed to be canonized.

Steef

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2015, 04:38:06 pm

LOL

What was I thinking!?

PaintballHog

Quote from: steefhog on April 05, 2015, 04:17:07 pm

That's why I said we know how people's sources go. It makes sense to me tho unless he has a beastly year, which is very possible.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 05, 2015, 04:33:31 pm
I'd be careful about accusing me of being on a "crusade". I've never said (or even hinted) that we don't need to look at rbs, offensive lineman and almost every possible position. However, what I HAVE tried to do is not over react, which is really what you did with your commit concerning the QB visitor, when it comes to any particular young man, no matter the position, visiting The Hill. Earth to Paintball: a visit, ANY visit, doesn't necessarily mean an offer or acceptance. Besides, I seriously doubt that in the end we're likely going to run out of visits available for kids (any position) we're really serious about. In addition, unless you honestly think the staff is totally unaware of our needs I have a strong hunch they're already fully cognizent of who and what positions need to be targeted for upcoming seasons. Since they've doing it a LOT longer than any of us, and because their long term livelihood depends on recruiting success, I'll put their expertise up against yours, mine, or anyone else on here...so let's try to remain calm and let them entertain anyone they feel willing to let visit.

As far as my being "upset" and spending a beautiful Easter, as they all are, on a "crusade" (as you call it) nothing could be further from the truth. I've merely continued to respond and tried rationally answering everyone of your frantic posts. However, I can clearly see was a mistake. Several entries ago I indicated that other members were very likely MORE than ready to see this whole debate between us be put to rest. Since by virtue of the recognition that it "takes two to tango" I'll close out with an assurance that this "tit-for-tat" serves no other purpose than expose others to our differences of opinion. I'd suggest if you want to respond further you do so with a wall-serves a far better purpose that way; it also allows you to express your concerns to something that might actually care about your alarms.

If you're just going to say "coaches know best" as you arguement on the topic, then I suggest you don't visit discussion boards. Especially if you can't keep from getting personal with posters of different opinions. It's not a good look.

Please come back when you are able and ready to discuss the topic on hand.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 05, 2015, 05:39:13 pm
If you're just going to say "coaches know best" as you arguement on the topic, then I suggest you don't visit discussion boards. Especially if you can't keep from getting personal with posters of different opinions. It's not a good look.

Please come back when you are able and ready to discuss the topic on hand.
Thanks for the advice. Glad to see you're the "big sheriff in town". Do I need to get out of town by sundown or face a shootout? Hope not 'cause I really hate violence.