Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When to be worried?

Started by PaintballHog, March 31, 2015, 04:45:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PaintballHog

This time last year we had about 7 recruits committed, which included alot of our top talent in the last class. Right now we have two. Is this the cause for concern or was last year an outlier?

Also what's the story on Hardwick? According to 247 composite he's a top 10 ILB, and we seem to be his favorite. Why no offer yet? Is there something holding that up, like character issues or grades?

Just curious. 

logand02

Nothing to be worried about. This will be a top 3 class in school history. Don't know about Hardwick but coaches will make the right decision.

Huds_HawgTide

Hardwick has some grade issues...everybody is interested in seeing how he does this semester to help that situation
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

LAHog124

Relax, it is still very early.
"If there's one thing I hate it's losing. If there's two things I hate it it's losing and getting cancer." -Kenny Powers

PorkRinds

Quote from: PaintballHog on March 31, 2015, 04:45:44 pm
This time last year we had about 7 recruits committed, which included alot of our top talent in the last class. Right now we have two. Is this the cause for concern or was last year an outlier?

Also what's the story on Hardwick? According to 247 composite he's a top 10 ILB, and we seem to be his favorite. Why no offer yet? Is there something holding that up, like character issues or grades?

Just curious.

Yes. You should spend all your time worrying.   And it's grades.

ricepig

Always be worried with recruiting.

HSVhogfan2

"What, me worry?"

Alfred E Neuman
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

pfrg999

If this was 2 months to Signing Day Yes.. Otherwise No
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

HawgTide

Just curious. 

On Hogville it's never too early to freak out.

The Recruiting Guy

Any coach that makes decisions based off recruiting services likely will be without a job at some point.

PEtrader

Quote from: Richard Davenport on March 31, 2015, 07:42:02 pm
Any coach that makes decisions based off recruiting services likely will be without a job at some point.

See Houston Nutt
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

The_Boot_stops_here

Agreed. That being said, what do you make of the lack of commits at this point?

Pork Twain

I am always worried about recruiting with this staff.
/sarcasm
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PaintballHog

I guess worried was the wrong word, slightly concerned would be better.

Thanks for the info on Hardwick, that makes sense.

The rest of the SEC west is averaging over 7 recruits, with all but MSU having a 5 star. At what point does this become more concerning then?

Choctaw Hog

Just curious. 

Start right now and lose much sleep until next year's signing day.  After all, worrying helps a lot especially when you are worrying over something as important as game played by a bunch of young men instead of worrying over silly, trivial things like events in the Middle East being ground zero for WWIII.   

PaintballHog

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on April 01, 2015, 07:02:13 am
Start right now and lose much sleep until next year's signing day.  After all, worrying helps a lot especially when you are worrying over something as important as game played by a bunch of young men instead of worrying over silly, trivial things like events in the Middle East being ground zero for WWIII.

Then why do you even waste the time visiting the recruiting section, when you should be watching CNN and Fox News. Son I disappoint.

trphog

247 shows Hardwick with a whopping two offers. These are from A-State and Louisiana Tech. Why exactly are you worried that our coaches haven't offered him? I get that he is highly rated linebacker in our backyard but if he was such a  slam dunk recruit, he would have way more offers right now.

PaintballHog

Quote from: trphog on April 01, 2015, 07:31:00 am
247 shows Hardwick with a whopping two offers. These are from A-State and Louisiana Tech. Why exactly are you worried that our coaches haven't offered him? I get that he is highly rated linebacker in our backyard but if he was such a  slam dunk recruit, he would have way more offers right now.

I imagine other schools don't even bother if the player isn't interested in other schools. Bell was in the same position last year with Louisville and MSU offer after his commitment.

Just my take tho.

jry04

Just curious. 
We only have about 10 months until signing day. Yes, I would be very worried.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 06:58:13 am
I guess worried was the wrong word, slightly concerned would be better.

Thanks for the info on Hardwick, that makes sense.

The rest of the SEC west is averaging over 7 recruits, with all but MSU having a 5 star. At what point does this become more concerning then?

9 months from now.

PaintballHog

PorkRinds

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 08:40:10 am
If you say so.

I mean, why ask if you don't want to hear an answer?  We are like a month from NSD.  No, now is not the time to be worried.  Be worried if a month out from NEXT NSD, we are scrambling to get talent.

havok

We've seen this staff after 3 recruiting classes.  ALL of them filled with excellent talent, needs filled and some serious home run recruits...this being after a couple of Non-Winning seasons.

Why would anyone start worrying about this staff's ability to recruit now, 10 months out?  Relax and enjoy the ride.  We have grown Men in charge of the program, and proven they know exactly what they are doing.

PaintballHog

April 01, 2015, 09:10:15 am #23 Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:44:16 am by PaintballHog
Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2015, 08:57:38 am
I mean, why ask if you don't want to hear an answer?  We are like a month from NSD.  No, now is not the time to be worried.  Be worried if a month out from NEXT NSD, we are scrambling to get talent.

You gave a short answer to be dense. Thank you for engaging in a conversation in this post tho.

From my view, Bama, Auburn, and LSU will get better recruits than us. Not alot we can do about that, but now we're being passed by Ole Miss and MSU. There is no reason in my mind we should be out recruited by them. Is getting recruits earlier like the top schools in the SECw the reason why they're passing us? I don't know, but it seems to be a correlation.

I don't see how being behind the curve set by last year, and Ole Piss/MSU raising the bar isn't a logical cause for at least minimal concern.

PaintballHog

Quote from: havok on April 01, 2015, 08:59:20 am
We've seen this staff after 3 recruiting classes.  ALL of them filled with excellent talent, needs filled and some serious home run recruits...this being after a couple of Non-Winning seasons.

Why would anyone start worrying about this staff's ability to recruit now, 10 months out?  Relax and enjoy the ride.  We have grown Men in charge of the program, and proven they know exactly what they are doing.

To clarify, I'm not worrying about this staff ability to recruit, just that at this point they haven't matched the bar they set last year at this point. 

jackflash

I don't spent time worrying about recruiting. I follow it very interested in who we are recruiting. But at the end of the day we get who we get. So why spend time worrying about it does no good.

770john111

I think cbb approach is take your time . Life decision

wholehog92

Last year was an anomaly for Hog's history.  We don't have enough data to know about this particular staff.

My working theory was that last year was the first class where they had time to fully develop relationships with the players they wanted and we had the momentum of a new coaching staff.  We've lost that "intrigue" and fortunately are being discussed nationally as a team on the rise.  My guess is the staff is fishing a bit deeper water in hopes they will show something on the field to justify that interest, so we are not pushing hard yet, just maintaining relationships.

That is entirely crap from my head and only substantiated from my years of watching the trends of new coaching staffs come in with momentum and recruit great the first couple of years and then disappear when the results don't pan out, or maintain when they do.  I would think coaches want to take advantage of that trend if they can.  So you have been fairly warned, this is not a fact, just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Wildhog

Absolutely zero reason to be concerned at this point.  The end.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgmasta

This is usually a pretty slow time for commits till the summer camp anyways.

PaintballHog

Quote from: wholehog92 on April 01, 2015, 09:54:39 am
Last year was an anomaly for Hog's history.  We don't have enough data to know about this particular staff.

My working theory was that last year was the first class where they had time to fully develop relationships with the players they wanted and we had the momentum of a new coaching staff.  We've lost that "intrigue" and fortunately are being discussed nationally as a team on the rise.  My guess is the staff is fishing a bit deeper water in hopes they will show something on the field to justify that interest, so we are not pushing hard yet, just maintaining relationships.

That is entirely crap from my head and only substantiated from my years of watching the trends of new coaching staffs come in with momentum and recruit great the first couple of years and then disappear when the results don't pan out, or maintain when they do.  I would think coaches want to take advantage of that trend if they can.  So you have been fairly warned, this is not a fact, just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Thanks for the perspective, wholehog. Recruits thinking "okay you were on the rise last year, lets see it turn to wins first." would make alot of sense.

I expect to turn out alot of W's this season, hopefully that will open the flood gates on recruits. With our system, we should be drawing interest of the top talent at Oline, RB, and TE.

DCimport

After Brown was canned someone close to the UT program said Coach Brown or staff were star chases and part of the reason that the program was in decline

PaintballHog

Quote from: DCimport on April 01, 2015, 10:37:56 am
After Brown was canned someone close to the UT program said Coach Brown or staff were star chases and part of the reason that the program was in decline

Nobody has won a championship in the BCS era without at least 2 top 10 classes on their roster. Recruiting rankings may not be an exact science, but they're right more times than they're wrong.

The national championship game was a perfect example of a squad of 4-5*s to a squad of mostly 3*s. Oregon was just bullied around by better athletes.

Quote from: Wildhog on April 01, 2015, 10:00:45 am
Absolutely zero reason to be concerned at this point.  The end.

How do we catch Ole Miss and MSU?

DCimport

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 10:45:00 am
Nobody has won a championship in the BCS era without at least 2 top 10 classes on their roster. Recruiting rankings may not be an exact science, but they're right more times than they're wrong.

The national championship game was a perfect example of a squad of 4-5*s to a squad of mostly 3*s. Oregon was just bullied around by better athletes.

How do we catch Ole Miss and MSU?

I'm not dogging recruiting services one bit but  just passing on a thought from a UT "insider".  More or less the staff saw a four-star athlete on paper and didn't always do their homework on evaluation. 

PaintballHog

Quote from: DCimport on April 01, 2015, 11:01:07 am
I'm not dogging recruiting services one bit but  just passing on a thought from a UT "insider".  More or less the staff saw a four-star athlete on paper and didn't always do their homework on evaluation.

Ah, I got you.

tbhogfan

I believe that CBB and staff are going about recruiting in the right way.   I am not worried about the current numbers at all.  I'd rather have athletes that are going to make significant contributions on the field, who are going to be able to stay in school (both scholastically and discipline wise) than have a flashy looking recruiting class in April.
Go Hogs!

Pork Twain

Quote from: havok on April 01, 2015, 08:59:20 am

Exactly this...  How many solid classes does this staff have to sign before people get it?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

PaintballHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 01, 2015, 11:30:04 am
Exactly this...  How many solid classes does this staff have to sign before people get it?

All I'm asking is why they haven't met the curve on the standards they set last year at this point in time, while other schools in the SECw continue to raise the bar.

booogaga

After spring camp there will be more activity.
GO HOGS!

ricepig

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 11:53:54 am
All I'm asking is why they haven't met the curve on the standards they set last year at this point in time, while other schools in the SECw continue to raise the bar.

We haven't found the right, uncommon men......

Pork Twain

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 11:53:54 am
A curve is not established off of one class.

WorfHog

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 10:45:00 amHow do we catch Ole Miss and MSU?

Last year we beat Ole Miss in a shutout and came within a touchdown of beating the best Mississippi State team in the last decade.

This year I expect Arkansas to beat both those teams. We're not behind the Mississippi school talent wise, we're behind them ranking wise which means nothing. 

Tomhog™

Like most every other year, we will finish ranked somewhere between 15-30 when NSD is over.  Doesn't matter whether we have 1 or 20 at this point.  We are still 10 months away!

PaintballHog

Quote from: WorfHog on April 01, 2015, 01:26:17 pm
Last year we beat Ole Miss in a shutout and came within a touchdown of beating the best Mississippi State team in the last decade.

This year I expect Arkansas to beat both those teams. We're not behind the Mississippi school talent wise, we're behind them ranking wise which means nothing.

Ole Miss's raw talent from recruiting these past 3(?) years has been ahead of Arkansas. The development of these players along with game plan, was why we whooped them last year. They have 1st round NFL talent on their defense and likely a 1st round wr.

For MSU, they had a better class last year than us, but years before that we beat them in the rankings. Prescott was just an animal and they had alot of upperclassmen. We should crush them this year.

For recruiting rankings in general, it's pretty silly to say they don't matter, since nobody has won a championship without 2 top 10 classes on their roster in the BCS era. Rankings arn't an exact science, but the numbers prove they mean something.

Quote from: Tomhog™ on April 01, 2015, 01:29:39 pm
Like most every other year, we will finish ranked somewhere between 15-30 when NSD is over.  Doesn't matter whether we have 1 or 20 at this point.  We are still 10 months away!

You don't expect BB and staff to be better recruiters than BP and HN?

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on April 01, 2015, 07:02:13 am
This is a hogville recruiting forum.  If you want to talk about something else involved with politics that would also be just as dumb to be worried about go somewhere else.  Don't worry about things you can't control.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on March 31, 2015, 09:22:56 pm
Agreed. That being said, what do you make of the lack of commits at this point?

Each year is different. In a month, you might have 5-10 or more. Hard to predict.

Steef

Could be...Bret is just getting choicy.

tophawg19

our boosters were late getting the money in . So our bagmen are behind
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 09:10:15 am
You gave a short answer to be dense. Thank you for engaging in a conversation in this post tho.

From my view, Bama, Auburn, and LSU will get better recruits than us. Not alot we can do about that, but now we're being passed by Ole Miss and MSU. There is no reason in my mind we should be out recruited by them. Is getting recruits earlier like the top schools in the SECw the reason why they're passing us? I don't know, but it seems to be a correlation.

I don't see how being behind the curve set by last year, and Ole Piss/MSU raising the bar isn't a logical cause for at least minimal concern.
Sorry but this early, and yes it is still VERY early, in the process I'm definitely not going to take a "sky is falling" attitude or approach. Good grief, just because at this point we only have two commits, versus the seven or so last year, means very little. As long as the staff is being very diligent and selective in who they offer then I'm fine with that. In looking over the quality of players we're pursuing the bar has continued to be raised but make no mistake that the relationships are also being built. As far as the rest of the schools are concerned-including OM and Miss.State- at this point I care no one whit. Just comparing the various programs in terms of the # of current commits is concerned is in a very real respect short-sighted and fairly meaningless. Once again what we have in terms of kids willing to sign in February, not necessarily in the spring of the previous year, is what's going to ultimately matter. Remember too that undoubtedly there will be some of these kids who either won't qualify OR might even change their minds as to where they eventually end up.

WorfHog

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 01, 2015, 02:27:04 pm
Ole Miss's raw talent from recruiting these past 3(?) years has been ahead of Arkansas. The development of these players along with game plan, was why we whooped them last year. They have 1st round NFL talent on their defense and likely a 1st round wr.

For MSU, they had a better class last year than us, but years before that we beat them in the rankings. Prescott was just an animal and they had alot of upperclassmen. We should crush them this year.

For recruiting rankings in general, it's pretty silly to say they don't matter, since nobody has won a championship without 2 top 10 classes on their roster in the BCS era. Rankings arn't an exact science, but the numbers prove they mean something.

You don't expect BB and staff to be better recruiters than BP and HN?

But your question was how to we catch Ole Miss and Mississippi State, and my point is we already have. Next season we should surpass them.