Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why is there hardly any basketball information out there?

Started by Cresthog, March 24, 2015, 11:31:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cresthog

We just finished our best season in almost 20 years and we get nothing on the basketball trail.

How is Kapita progressing?

Are we on anyone in case Qualls or Portis are both leaving?

Any rumored lineup shake ups? Transfers? King from Mephis?

Anyone? Anyone?

claycohog

Won't hear much of anything until after final four... pretty much standard every year unless there is a coaching change.

The_Iceman

Two open spots, two spots filled. Not gonna hear much until there is movement from Portis or Qualls.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 24, 2015, 12:16:54 pm
Two open spots, two spots filled. Not gonna hear much until there is movement from Portis or Qualls.

Exactly. I don't understand why everyone has been so upset by the perceived "lack of recruiting." We have two spots open, two recruits to fill them.

Portis has made comments all season that he'll be back next year, yet so many want to beat that "he gone" drum, just because he's a first round lock. Until he says otherwise, the evidence straight from him is that he'll still donning a hog uniform next season.

If CMA had any information to suggest either Portis or Qualls were leaning towards the draft, we'd be hearing more recruiting noise. That said, we still have a good relationship with Melvin Frazier, who remains uncommitted and would be the most logical target should either leave.

Frazier: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/178991/melvin-frazier

Something that I think most people are over-looking, is just how much Portis loves the Razorbacks. If he was leaning to the draft, Anderson would certainly know this and be preparing accordingly. Portis is not going to screw over the team by keeping that from Anderson and leaving him stuck late in the process. I'm not saying he owes Anderson or the school anything, but it would certainly be out of character for Portis to throw a last second surprise.

With Qualls, we all know he has a son and will have some motivation to get paid sooner than later. That said, his girlfriend and sons mom plays for the women's team here. It would certainly stand to reason that he'll finish his career with the Hogs, keeping his young family stable as he finishes his degree then goes on to a pro career, be it NBA or otherwise. He also made a promise to his father that he would get his degree. Obviously that could be accomplished down the road, but having the stability for his son and girlfriend in Fayetteville, certainly bodes well for his return.

Cresthog

Not complaining about recruiting. Just the complete and utter lack of information out there for our 2nd place conference team.

The football team goes 2-6 in conference and there's a "tidbit" released every single hour. Hell it was the same when we were 0fer a million.

Wildhog

Quote from: Cresthog on March 24, 2015, 12:54:54 pm
Not complaining about recruiting. Just the complete and utter lack of information out there for our 2nd place conference team.

The football team goes 2-6 in conference and there's a "tidbit" released every single hour. Hell it was the same when we were 0fer a million.

When there are so few open scholarships, and thus prospects that we're recruiting, recruiting info is much more scarce. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawginbigd1

I think it is all timing, i think anything that is going on is being done very discreetly, just opinion but i think Frazier is a silent commit even if Portis and Qualls stay.

Hawg Red

I think the lack of names around basketball recruiting comes from the staff's belief that Portis and Qualls will return next season. Now, that could obviously change because you never really know for sure until the season is over, but it looks like, to me, the staff is confident that both will return.

With that said, I fully believe they have back-up options lined up. Melvin Frazier comes to mind. Could definitely see him getting an offer if Qualls leaves. We were looking at a couple of JUCO big men pre-Kapita verbal, so I could see one of those guys if Portis leaves. Then there's also the transfer market. We could take on a graduate transfer looking to come in and play for a tournament team with an opening. We'll be very attractive to those players (talking PF/C types) if we lose Portis because we will have not only lost him but also another starter in Alandise Harris.

Cresthog

That ESPN site says we've offered Frazier.

Which is what I don't understand.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Cresthog on March 24, 2015, 01:43:13 pm
That ESPN site says we've offered Frazier.

Which is what I don't understand.

And we probably have, but it's likely not a "commitable offer." I'm sure it's been communicated to Melvin that he has a spot if there is a spot.

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 24, 2015, 01:18:04 pm
I think it is all timing, i think anything that is going on is being done very discreetly, just opinion but i think Frazier is a silent commit even if Portis and Qualls stay.

Should both Portis and Qualls return, who might be moving on? I just don't really see anyone on the roster as being an obvious choice. I would like to have Frazier though. It's hard to come by 6'7 guys with guard skills.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on March 24, 2015, 01:48:54 pm
Should both Portis and Qualls return, who might be moving on? I just don't really see anyone on the roster as being an obvious choice. I would like to have Frazier though. It's hard to come by 6'7 guys with guard skills.

Most logical scenario is Keaton Miles moving on as a graduate transfer. He only has one year left and he barely played this season. If Portis comes backs, I don't see much changing for him. He'd still be behind Moses, JaCorey, and the coaches probably invest more in Trey Thompson.

Cresthog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 24, 2015, 01:55:54 pm
Most logical scenario is Keaton Miles moving on as a graduate transfer. He only has one year left and he barely played this season. If Portis comes backs, I don't see much changing for him. He'd still be behind Moses, JaCorey, and the coaches probably invest more in Trey Thompson.

Its really hard for me to believe Miles can't get any minutes from Williams.

Really odd to say the least.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Cresthog on March 24, 2015, 02:07:33 pm
Its really hard for me to believe Miles can't get any minutes from Williams.

Really odd to say the least.

I was surprised Miles didn't play more this season given what all I heard and read leading up to the season. I understand people have said he was hurt, but it looked to me like he was able to play throughout the season. Just looked like he wasn't in the rotation. I think, if he was good enough, he'd have been in the rotation. Guess we'll see what happens. Wouldn't surprise me if he moved on as a grad transfer but wouldn't surprise me if he stayed.

Thepigdoctor

Sorry Crest, didn't mean to come off harshly towards you, that was a topic that seemed beaten down until Kapita committed, that Mike wasnt recruiting well enough, wasn't capable, etc, etc, so still a bit of a sore spot for me.

As for lack of info, I know there's been a ton of follow up to Whitt's season, but Kapita has dealt with an injury for most of the year IIRC. I believe it's his hip, but not certain. I'll see if I can find anything more on that.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 24, 2015, 02:14:42 pm
I was surprised Miles didn't play more this season given what all I heard and read leading up to the season. I understand people have said he was hurt, but it looked to me like he was able to play throughout the season. Just looked like he wasn't in the rotation. I think, if he was good enough, he'd have been in the rotation. Guess we'll see what happens. Wouldn't surprise me if he moved on as a grad transfer but wouldn't surprise me if he stayed.

Miles was dealing with a knee injury all season that limited him.

Thepigdoctor

http://zagsblog.com/articles/ted-kapita-names-his-top-three-schools/

Pinched nerve in his hip. This was a Gonzaga article back in January. Not sure if he ended up playing any this season or not. Something to consider, even if he's 100% come fall, he could be limited for immediate playing time as he gets back to game shape, especially with our style.

Thepigdoctor

Hawg Red

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 24, 2015, 02:22:53 pm
http://zagsblog.com/articles/ted-kapita-names-his-top-three-schools/

Pinched nerve in his hip. This was a Gonzaga article back in January. Not sure if he ended up playing any this season or not. Something to consider, even if he's 100% come fall, he could be limited for immediate playing time as he gets back to game shape, especially with our style.

*Adam Zagoria, not Gonzaga.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 24, 2015, 02:20:12 pm
Miles was dealing with a knee injury all season that limited him.

That's what people have said. Not sure the extent of it. Not sure he would have played any better than Williams.

Thepigdoctor

Older video, he's continued to beef up while at Hun Prep.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dVx8PkS3QcU

He has a nice looking shot, smooth and repeatable. Moves well with the ball in his hands and goes strong to the basket.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 24, 2015, 02:44:35 pm
*Adam Zagoria, not Gonzaga.

Looks like assuming made the ass of me. Good catch, thanks.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 24, 2015, 02:47:47 pm
Looks like assuming made the ass of me. Good catch, thanks.

It's a reasonable assumption. I thought that for a while, too.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 24, 2015, 01:55:54 pm

I think it would be of best benefit to all involved if miles were to be able to take advantage of the graduate transfer rule and we bring in Frazier.

Keeping MQ and BP and replacing Madden, Harris and Miles with Whitt, Kapita, Hannahs and Frazier would make next years team a front runner for the Final 4...

Danny J

I have complained about this for years and get the proverbial "we are a football school" or "more people care about football" or  "more players recruited every year in football than basketball". I agree with you. I would love to see some progression updates about players already signed(kapita and Whitt) and players we are still after.

Hawg Red

Quote from: JackJohnson on March 24, 2015, 02:48:24 pm
I think it would be of best benefit to all involved if miles were to be able to take advantage of the graduate transfer rule and we bring in Frazier.

Keeping MQ and BP and replacing Madden, Harris and Miles with Whitt, Kapita, Hannahs and Frazier would make next years team a front runner for the Final 4...

I agree. We are in greater need of a further talent infusion than the could-be-okay depth of a 5th year senior that hasn't played much basketball in the past three years. Many are saying Keaton was hurt this past season, and that is also what was said about his sophomore year at West Virginia.

Cresthog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 24, 2015, 03:02:04 pm
I agree. We are in greater need of a further talent infusion than the could-be-okay depth of a 5th year senior that hasn't played much basketball in the past three years. Many are saying Keaton was hurt this past season, and that is also what was said about his sophomore year at West Virginia.

I'd be ok with it. I don't like casting guys off but that is the nature of the business these days.

Always confident Mike will do what is best for the team, players and the program.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 24, 2015, 03:02:04 pm

NOTHING against Miles personally- as he has stayed out of trouble off the court and has done everything we asked in that regard so cudos to him.  However, after 3 years of on the court play, you have to look past all the HS accolades and recruiting rankings and realize he is what he is based on his career stats to date. 

With only 1 year of playing left and a college degree in hand it would benefit him to find a place where he can get more minutes and allow him to showcase his skills if he is interested in ever playing professionally somewhere.  For us with a team potentially primed at a F4 run it would benefit us to find a player who can not only can potentially get more minutes/be more productive next year, as well as the next 3 after this one.

Win/Win

Hawg Red

Quote from: Cresthog on March 24, 2015, 03:04:11 pm
I'd be ok with it. I don't like casting guys off but that is the nature of the business these days.

Always confident Mike will do what is best for the team, players and the program.

Miles has had the full college experience, though, of 4 years. I think once you get your degree, any time you have after that is icing. You've already had the cake. If he wouldn't be able to immediately play somewhere else, I would probably feel differently.

Hawg Red

Quote from: JackJohnson on March 24, 2015, 03:08:10 pm
NOTHING against Miles personally- as he has stayed out of trouble off the court and has done everything we asked in that regard so cudos to him.  However, after 3 years of on the court play, you have to look past all the HS accolades and recruiting rankings and realize he is what he is based on his career stats to date. 

With only 1 year of playing left and a college degree in hand he would benefit him to find a place where he can get more minutes.  And with this team potentially primed at a F4 run it would benefit us to find a player who can potentially get more minutes/be more productive next year, as well as the next 3 after this one.

Win/Win

Absolutely. It would be mutually beneficial.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on March 24, 2015, 01:48:54 pm
As others have already said Miles would be my bet.

Cresthog

It does sound win win if thats the case.

I wonder if that is being explored at all.

this is the kind of basketball discussion I want and think our team deserves.

Sorry I get a little fed up of TOP LINEMAN NAMES HOGS IN HIS TOP 35, HERES AN ARTICLE ABOUT IT.

Hog and Eggs

I would like to see us begin to play rugged, tall guys at the four spot. I haven't loved our rotation there the past few years. Harris was rugged, but undersized at 6'6. JW, Miles, and Coty Clarke all were more suited physically for the 3 spot. It would be ideal to have someone who can camp out in the paint and allow Portis to float out more on offense. Unfortunately, when he was taking jumpers there wasn't really a rebounding presence on the offensive glass.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Cresthog on March 24, 2015, 04:38:02 pm
It does sound win win if thats the case.

I wonder if that is being explored at all.

this is the kind of basketball discussion I want and think our team deserves.

Sorry I get a little fed up of TOP LINEMAN NAMES HOGS IN HIS TOP 35, HERES AN ARTICLE ABOUT IT.

Hah! +1 and agree with you and Danny both. There are some really knowledgeable bball posters on this board, many of which are posting in this exact thread which is why the thread has stayed pertinent and on topic. It's pretty clear a lot of our bball fans just use the sport as a bridge between football seasons, which is sad because Arkansas has a great basketball tradition, fantastic facilities, a state fan base that can support one school wholly, versus states like NC with UNC, Duke, NC State, etc, or Texas with 20 D1 programs (or so it seems) all competing for support.

I've always been a basketball fan first, but that comes with living my entire life in Indiana, where basketball is life. As an out of state Hog fan, I rely pretty much entirely on this board to discuss and talk about the Hogs, so I really appreciate everyone on here who keeps it civil and constructive.

Danny J

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 24, 2015, 05:07:00 pm
Hah! +1 and agree with you and Danny both. There are some really knowledgeable bball posters on this board, many of which are posting in this exact thread which is why the thread has stayed pertinent and on topic. It's pretty clear a lot of our bball fans just use the sport as a bridge between football seasons, which is sad because Arkansas has a great basketball tradition, fantastic facilities, a state fan base that can support one school wholly, versus states like NC with UNC, Duke, NC State, etc, or Texas with 20 D1 programs (or so it seems) all competing for support.

I've always been a basketball fan first, but that comes with living my entire life in Indiana, where basketball is life. As an out of state Hog fan, I rely pretty much entirely on this board to discuss and talk about the Hogs, so I really appreciate everyone on here who keeps it civil and constructive.
I am a basketball fan first also but still love football. I just think that our recruiting guys in the state spend 99% of their time on football and whatever is left over goes to basketball. I heard one of these guys on the radio the other day and really had no more knowledge of basketball recruiting than I do and what I get is from most of you guys here on HV.

lefty08

The lack of information has more to do with shear numbers than people not caring imo

I prefer it That way, I don't care what basketball targets do on a day to day basis, and covering both of our recruits on a daily basis would get comments like that
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Dominicanhog

Hogimus Prime

The real Hogules

Frazier strikes me as one of those solid contributer by his Jr. Season type vs. someone who comes in and is able to contribute early(like a Jimmy Whitt).
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Snowball the Pig

Quote from: Danny J on March 24, 2015, 05:42:06 pm
I am a basketball fan first also but still love football. I just think that our recruiting guys in the state spend 99% of their time on football and whatever is left over goes to basketball. I heard one of these guys on the radio the other day and really had no more knowledge of basketball recruiting than I do and what I get is from most of you guys here on HV.

Certainly not the same interest level for most but you're talking conversations about 25 spots v. 2-3. Also not the same national media level for recruits unless they're McD AA. I hadn't thought about Miles leaving but this new scenario with Frazier gets my vote for sure!

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Snowball the Pig on March 24, 2015, 10:03:25 pm
Certainly not the same interest level for most but you're talking conversations about 25 spots v. 2-3. Also not the same national media level for recruits unless they're McD AA. I hadn't thought about Miles leaving but this new scenario with Frazier gets my vote for sure!

At the time, adding Miles made sense, we were still struggling to fill out a roster with true division 1 quality players. That is no longer the case, as we're at the point now where hopefully the staff will feel more confident in not reaching for those guys and will rely solely on recruiting high school ranks. Step one in this rebuild was creating roster stability, which has now been accomplished. The roster was so poorly managed by Heath and Pel, that we've got one finally hurdle to clear with the '16 class, as we'll have a number of departures following next season. That was a result of the aforementioned reaching to transfers/Juco players to fill the roster. The '16 class is very strong and we're on some very talented players, the type that following a strong year next season, could result in our own fab 5 type team to add to players like Beard, Whitt, Kapita, Kingsley, Babb, and Thompson.

Cresthog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 24, 2015, 06:14:29 pm
there could be another as well....

Just say who you think?

As long as you say you're not sure, no one will hold you to your word..

-Blu

We should get a chance to see Ted Kapita play on ESPN in a tournament in early April (Dicks Sporting Good Tournament?), I'll have to verify the name and dates, but I read it would be on one the ESPN networks.  His coach says he's 100% healthy and will play in this tournament.

As far as other recruiting news.  Right now no news is good news.  We have 2 spots available and 2 spots filled.  If we start hearing news of the staff going in to watch a bunch of JUCO PFs, it's a pretty good chance Portis changed his mind and would be leaning towards the draft.  It's going to be a slow week this week since it's spring break and kids aren't on campus, but next week, I'm assuming CMA will have his sit downs with all the players and we'll know for sure who's staying and who's going.  Personally I hope everyone stays.  If we return our roster with the 2 incoming guys, we're going to be REALLY good next year.

Breems

Have they refused to split out a basketball subforum in here? Or have we just not asked enough?

I don't even bother coming here because it's 99% football.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

ballinhog

Quote from: Breems on March 25, 2015, 06:20:39 pm
Have they refused to split out a basketball subforum in here? Or have we just not asked enough?

I don't even bother coming here because it's 99% football.

I guess we just haven't asked enough. I know I have asked at least once myself. I like football and basketball recruiting but there's so much talk about football recruiting on this forum that when we do have a thread on basketball it gets lost pretty quick.

I do agree that right now there's just not a lot to talk about though

-Blu

Here's some news from today.  Looks like CMA is taking precautions as expected in case Portis leaves.

TJ Kelley @scoopIPS  ·  2h 2 hours ago
HCs from Georgia, Arkansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Pitt, Marquette, Auburn, and coaches from SMU, Umass watched '15 Michael Edwards today

Edwards is a 6'10 PF in the 2015 Class. Not seeing a ranking on any sites, but my guess is that's going to change really soon, just picked up offers from Kansas State, Auburn, Marquette, Pitt, and Nebraska and as you can see a ton of other high majors interested.

He has highlights of all his games on youtube, I just watched a few and they are very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4i4BWm_ATo

Danny J

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2015, 09:20:29 pm
Here's some news from today.  Looks like CMA is taking precautions as expected in case Portis leaves.

HCs from Georgia, Arkansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Pitt, Marquette, Auburn, and coaches from SMU, Umass watched '15 Michael Edwards today

Edwards is a 6'10 PF in the 2015 Class. Not seeing a ranking on any sites, but my guess is that's going to change really soon, just picked up offers from Kansas State, Auburn, Marquette, Pitt, and Nebraska and as you can see a ton of other high majors interested.

He has highlights of all his games on youtube, I just watched a few and they are very impressive.

He sure likes to run the court. Would be perfect for us. Looks like a really good hustle guy for his size.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2015, 09:20:29 pm

Also left to wonder if not Portis or Qualls, could we see a transfer/someone leave the program. There's been speculation about Miles leaving for a school that could offer more playing time as a grad transfer, but with the crowded backcourt, could it also be Durham going to a smaller school, or Babb wanting to find somewhere with a clearer path to playing time?

I'd have to think regardless of who left, be it Portis, Qualls, or Miles, even a guard transferring, we'd target taller wings or bigs, as back court depth is solid.