Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball recruit Caleb Smith (A&M lean)

Started by pigroots, March 15, 2015, 09:41:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigroots

Just got back from the State basketball tournament in San Antonio Tx. There is a player I would like for the Hogs to take a look at. He will be a Sr next year at Bridgeport HS. I have watched him play a dozen times this year and he is the best player I've seen in the county in 25 years. He was just named Class 4 A MVP at the state tournament. He is a 6'1 pt guard that can literally do anything on the court. He is a tremendous scorer, passer, ball handler, and rebounder. He may be the best rebounding guard in the state of Texas.He averaged 25 + pts and about 10 rebounds in the semifinal and final while winning the MVP award. He is a big time player who had been home schooled until this year so he's not well known YET.His team did win the Prime Time national tournament last summer. After this weekend he will be flooded with offers. I do know Tim Floyd and UTEP has been interested for a while.Can someone pass this info along to our recruiting coordinator ? Maybe Richard Davenport? This guy is a straight up baller that I am convinced is a big time prospect and a good kid. A&M's big recruit that is a top 50 national player from Dallas Madison had 2 pts at half after being guarded by this kid.(He did end up with 25 but most of those shots were 4 feet behind the arc off screens)...Someone feel free to pass this info along to the right people

pigroots

For comparison's sake he reminds me of Anton Beard with better hops. I've seen him dunk on breakaways from both the left and right side. He is also left handed. Both shoot well.. Caleb may be quicker 

intelligence

I tweeted this thread to CMA. Maybe he will check the kid out if we got room. Nice find!

pigroots

Quote from: intelligence on March 16, 2015, 02:38:33 pm
I tweeted this thread to CMA. Maybe he will check the kid out if we got room. Nice find!
Thanks he's worth a look

Swinesong1

Is his team really named the "Sissies"?   Lol

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 16, 2015, 06:44:57 pm
Is his team really named the "Sissies"?   Lol

At least it's not the princesses. Could have been worse
This is my non-signature signature.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 16, 2015, 07:15:50 pm
At least it's not the princesses. Could have been worse
I'd prefer that over Sissies!

WarPig88

If he has been playing homeschool ball in Texas then he isn't unknown I assure you.

Justin Jackson at UNC this year and Alonzo ? Arizona signee listed out of Seattle, but really out of OKC and Tulsa homeschool programs, didn't fly under the radar.

Homeschool ballers do get D1 interest all the time because you don't get it by playing in public schools anymore, you get it on the AAU circuit.

pigroots

Bridgeport Bulls...girls teams are called Sissies. Class 4A state champions. Beat Houston Sterling(Clyde Drexlers old school) by 30 in the championship game

yraciv

Is he even the best player on his team? Devonte Patterson appears to be the go to scorer.  Obviously I've never seen him play so I'm going to defer to your judgement, but the stat I see that concerns me is 1.4 spg. Granted this is on maxpreps with just 10 games counted so I don't know how accurate it is, but small frame and lack of steals in 4A is a slight concern.  Babb was in the same area playing at a higher classification last year, putting up triple doubles.

That is certainly an impressive championship showing. Get him up to our elite camp, and maybe an offer will follow.

yraciv

Pigroots, what is your take on them all living in a house together with Mark Cuban's brother in law?http://www.wfaa.com/story/sports/2015/03/13/bridgeport-defeats-madison-class-4a-state-semifinal/70302350/

That article certainly makes it seem they're already known on the AAU trail.

pigroots

Patterson is also a beast with great physical tools. He will no doubt be a D1 player.But everyone who has watched this team will tell you Smith is the team MVP and the straw that stirs the drink so to speak. He makes everyone better. I have had many conversations with people who watch a lot of basketball from fans to coaches and all agree Caleb is the best player this county has had play here in the last 20 years. I believe if he were 6' 3" instead of 6'1" you'd see Kentucky and Kansas and all those guys all over him. He is a true 6'1 but plays taller. As far as the the house story they live not far from me and have become an active part of our community over the last year. I thought it was a little sour grapes from a Dallas paper after Dallas Madison(2 time defending state champion who forfeited those titles) were knocked from the playoffs by Bridgeport. They have been cleared by UIL and so it is not a story but rather a family

The_Bionic_Pig

In 2016 Arkansas coaches seem to be focusing very heavily on Malik Monk & Jaylen Fisher at the Guards positions with instate product Lawson Korita being monitored as a 3rd option if a transfer/NBA entry occurs in Portis Jr. year.

De'Ron Davis & Mitchell Smith accounting for the other targets.

If Caleb is as good as advertised then TJ Cleveland is the one that keeps a relationship with recruits....Mike focuses more on current/prior  players

Twitter: @tj_cleveland
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Danny J

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 17, 2015, 09:48:09 am
In 2016 Arkansas coaches seem to be focusing very heavily on Malik Monk & Jaylen Fisher at the Guards positions with instate product Lawson Korita being monitored as a 3rd option if a transfer/NBA entry occurs in Portis Jr. year.

De'Ron Davis & Mitchell Smith accounting for the other targets.

If Caleb is as good as advertised then TJ Cleveland is the one that keeps a relationship with recruits....Mike focuses more on current/prior  players

Twitter: @tj_cleveland
I just love the name lawson korita......just rolls off the tongue.

Hawg Red

pigroots

Post season awards announced so far.... District 8 4A MVP
                                                      All Region and regional tournament MVP
                                                    4A All State Team and 4A State Tournament MVP
Anyone who is interested Fox Sports Southwest will replay the 4A championship game Thursday March 26th at 12:30 am