Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 04:49:04 pm

Monk

Started by hogsgolfpro, January 17, 2015, 05:22:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cresthog

Quote from: clutch on March 04, 2015, 10:53:14 pm
PT won't be an issue. If you have a monk type player, he plays. No matter what the system is. The other guards are the ones lefts scratching for minutes.

It's a fair point with Allen and Mike's system. If Allen blew up his freshman year, there would be some juggling of PT and working the system here. If Allen isn't here, it's all the more chance he is guaranteed lots of minutes.

clutch

Quote from: Cresthog on March 05, 2015, 08:09:05 am
It's a fair point with Allen and Mike's system. If Allen blew up his freshman year, there would be some juggling of PT and working the system here. If Allen isn't here, it's all the more chance he is guaranteed lots of minutes.

I just don't think it matters if Allen comes or not. Malik would get his minutes. Plenty of them.

razorbackchamps94

It's either Arkansas or Kentucky .. The rest on his list or just for show ..

michaels

........PT, rly?

monk would be starting right now & be hands down the best offensive weapon on our team.

lefty08

Quote from: michaels on March 06, 2015, 12:00:34 am
........PT, rly?

monk would be starting right now & be hands down the best offensive weapon on our team.

I've heard he'd be the best player in the conference
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hawg Red

Guys like Monk or Allen (or Whitt or Beard) need not worry about playing time. They're gonna get it. It's guys like Hannahs and Babb that need to work. If your guards are truly good enough, you can go with a 3 guard lineup and be successful. Whitt can guard 3s with his wingspan. Monk is 6'3 and might be 6'4 by the time he graduates. Obviously a crazy athlete, too. He can be a 3rd guard. Nick Babb is also 6'5. There's room for all these guys and I'm sure Anderson would hammer that point across.

Playing is rationed at Kentucky also. Remember that.

But we're spinning our wheels on KeVaughn. He's not coming. Moot point.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2015, 11:59:39 am
Guys like Monk or Allen (or Whitt or Beard) need not worry about playing time. They're gonna get it. It's guys like Hannahs and Babb that need to work. If your guards are truly good enough, you can go with a 3 guard lineup and be successful. Whitt can guard 3s with his wingspan. Monk is 6'3 and might be 6'4 by the time he graduates. Obviously a crazy athlete, too. He can be a 3rd guard. Nick Babb is also 6'5. There's room for all these guys and I'm sure Anderson would hammer that point across.

Playing is rationed at Kentucky also. Remember that.

But we're spinning our wheels on KeVaughn. He's not coming. Moot point.

Didn't we run just this Mikes' first year?  What hurts your point is Qualls.  He's that third guard right now believe it or not and I don't think people see it.  There was a point last night he was the guard in the game and manny was playing the 2. 

Hogfaniam

Quote from: lefty08 on March 06, 2015, 06:56:57 am
I've heard he'd be the best player in the conference

Naismith winner before the first tip
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 06, 2015, 12:03:13 pm
Didn't we run just this Mikes' first year?  What hurts your point is Qualls.  He's that third guard right now believe it or not and I don't think people see it.  There was a point last night he was the guard in the game and manny was playing the 2.

How does that hurt my point?

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Hogfaniam on March 06, 2015, 12:07:02 pm
Naismith winner before the first tip

Monk dunked on Chuck Norris.

WarPig88

I like the people who act like Monk just comes in and takes some veteran players minutes and all is well.

Monk is good enough, no doubt. I have seen him. But do any of you realize that you are dealing with people when you deal with athletes? People are complex and their are ramifications for any action you take.

You think if Allen came in and played lights out as a frosh and then sat for Monk the next season he would be happy about it? If he wasn't, then his friends on the team might not be happy about it either.

This is practically what happened at Missouri MA's last season up there. Pressey came in and started taking minutes from Dixon and it caused a serious rift between some on the team and MA even though Pressey was the better player.

It's not as cut and dried as many here perceive.

MountieDawg

Quote from: HogPound on February 21, 2015, 11:35:35 am
Wish we could see him play against some real basketball talent that isn't what NWA Deems as "talent".

Have you seen him play AAU ball... He dominates against the best!!!
SEC!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2015, 12:14:27 pm
How does that hurt my point?

I think many view Qualls as a stretch forward and not a guard. 

Hawg Red

Okay?

I didn't mention Qualls in my post about the 3 guard lineup, nor did I say this is what we do now. Just that it can be done and still bring success.

clutch

Quote from: WarPig88 on March 06, 2015, 02:16:52 pm
I like the people who act like Monk just comes in and takes some veteran players minutes and all is well.

Monk is good enough, no doubt. I have seen him. But do any of you realize that you are dealing with people when you deal with athletes? People are complex and their are ramifications for any action you take.

You think if Allen came in and played lights out as a frosh and then sat for Monk the next season he would be happy about it? If he wasn't, then his friends on the team might not be happy about it either.

This is practically what happened at Missouri MA's last season up there. Pressey came in and started taking minutes from Dixon and it caused a serious rift between some on the team and MA even though Pressey was the better player.

I like the people who act like monk wouldn't come in and take minutes from vet players. He's that good. He would. Happens everywhere now. The days of seniority determining PT are long gone.

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Monk has been wearing Ky out for the past 3 years.  Ky isn't a bad defender either. He will be the best player on our team no doubt even if Portis is still there.

ricepig

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on March 06, 2015, 06:43:16 pm
Monk has been wearing Ky out for the past 3 years.  Ky isn't a bad defender either. He will be the best player on our team no doubt even if Portis is still there.

Well, Ky isn't that great of an on ball defender, he gets in the passing lanes, makes the switches and traps, but I doubt we have anyone to lock down Malik.

Danny J

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on March 06, 2015, 06:43:16 pm
I think the latter is exaggerating a bit. While Monk is a elite player so is Portis. If Portis were to stick around, say there were a rule that forced players to stay 4 years, then he would without question be the best player on the team his senior year. He is arguably the best player right now in the SEC with some very very good players.

WarPig88

Quote from: clutch on March 06, 2015, 06:18:33 pm
I like the people who act like monk wouldn't come in and take minutes from vet players. He's that good. He would. Happens everywhere now. The days of seniority determining PT are long gone.

What post did you read? In the one I wrote I said he was good enough, but the problem could occur with chemistry on the team if you bring an Allen on who plays lights out but has to sit the next year because of Monk.

Just saying bringing in Allen if Monk feels like there aren't enough minutes to go around in our guard rotation wouldn't be a smart thing.

Where you got that Monk wasn't going to start if he came here is beyond me.

The real Hogules

While I'm sure he'd get his minutes, he's currently not playing against the type of talent that he'd face in college, not to mention that the season is considerably longer than the typical HS basketball season.
The NBA season is even longer than college.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

clutch

Quote from: WarPig88 on March 06, 2015, 07:22:05 pm
What post did you read? In the one I wrote I said he was good enough, but the problem could occur with chemistry on the team if you bring an Allen on who plays lights out but has to sit the next year because of Monk.

Just saying bringing in Allen if Monk feels like there aren't enough minutes to go around in our guard rotation wouldn't be a smart thing.

Where you got that Monk wasn't going to start if he came here is beyond me.

What post did you read? I never said that you said he wasn't going to start. I just said that it's crazy to think he wouldn't come in and take some vet players minutes. He would. I didnt say it'd be Allen's, just that he'd be taking someone's minutes that had come along before him. I don't feel it'd mess up chemistry too bad. These guys know what they signed up for. If you want to play, be better than the guy before you. It's not the other guys fault for taking your minutes. You get what you earn.

songofthesword

There is a big, big difference between getting 25-30 mins a night and getting 15-20 mins a night.

if you got allen, beard, monk, whitt, hannahs, babb, watkins, not to mention whoever else we sign for the 16 class no way monk gets 25-30 a game.  not enough balls.

right now without allen i can see

Beard
Whitt
Monk
Kapita
Kingsley

and in that case you would not have a true small forward but you would make due.

now that i look at it, i would really expect someone to transfer that's a lot of 6'0-6'3 guards on one team

root_hawg

Monk is only going to be here one year anyway so they may all stay but the crowd at the #2 could be a reason why Monk doesn't come.  It wont be because of the competition but because of the style of MA which doesn't typically doesn't give guards lots of PT

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: root_hawg on March 08, 2015, 02:44:16 pm
Monk is only going to be here one year anyway so they may all stay but the crowd at the #2 could be a reason why Monk doesn't come.  It wont be because of the competition but because of the style of MA which doesn't typically doesn't give guards lots of PT
At least this year he has shown he will play his best players plenty of minutes.  I know they aren't guards, but hopefully this will reassure Monk some.

songofthesword

I've played in a system very similar if not text book verbatim like the fastest 40 mins all through junior and senior high school. I mean, unless you are screwing up, it's usually very much up to the player how much they play. When you come out you very much want to come out, you're freaking tired.

There were games i'd sit for 2-3 mins, there were games that i'd sit an entire half, depending on how tired i was.

Danny J

Quote from: songofthesword on March 08, 2015, 07:06:24 pm
I've played in a system very similar if not text book verbatim like the fastest 40 mins all through junior and senior high school. I mean, unless you are screwing up, it's usually very much up to the player how much they play. When you come out you very much want to come out, you're freaking tired.

There were games i'd sit for 2-3 mins, there were games that i'd sit an entire half, depending on how tired i was.
Yep...it is like Gorilla cardio. Those who don't understand here is what you do: Go to a football field.....then walk 100 yards quickly, turn around run as hard as you can for 100 yards, turn around and jog 100 yards, then walk 100 yards quickly, turn around and run as hard as you can for 100 yards, turn around and jog 100 yards, repeat......Now do this over and over for 10 minutes or until you puke. Then rest for 15 minutes then do it again for another 10 minutes. Then take a 2 minute rest and go shoot two FT's. That is what Wes Clark experienced at the end of the Mizzou game. Looks easy on TV.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on March 08, 2015, 07:46:06 pm
Yep...it is like Gorilla cardio. Those who don't understand here is what you do: Go to a football field.....then walk 100 yards quickly, turn around run as hard as you can for 100 yards, turn around and jog 100 yards, then walk 100 yards quickly, turn around and run as hard as you can for 100 yards, turn around and jog 100 yards, repeat......Now do this over and over for 10 minutes or until you puke. Then rest for 15 minutes then do it again for another 10 minutes. Then take a 2 minute rest and go shoot two FT's. That is what Wes Clark experienced at the end of the Mizzou game. Looks easy on TV.
I could watch it forever!

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 08, 2015, 08:14:40 pm
I could watch it forever!
I know....just like when watching Qualls dunk I think to myself "how hard could that REALLY be"?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: songofthesword on March 07, 2015, 03:40:57 pm
There is a big, big difference between getting 25-30 mins a night and getting 15-20 mins a night.

if you got allen, beard, monk, whitt, hannahs, babb, watkins, not to mention whoever else we sign for the 16 class no way monk gets 25-30 a game.  not enough balls.

right now without allen i can see

Beard
Whitt
Monk
Kapita
Kingsley

and in that case you would not have a true small forward but you would make due.

now that i look at it, i would really expect someone to transfer that's a lot of 6'0-6'3 guards on one team

Beard is the only 6'0 Guard

Whitt 6'3 (7'0 wingspan)
Monk 6'3 & growing
Babb 6'5 closer to 6'6 (SF/SG)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: WarPig88 on March 06, 2015, 02:16:52 pm

This is a fair point. It's delicate.
Coaches...every one of them...are partial to upperclassmen. Guys who paid their dues.
Even Adrian Peterson didn't start as a freshmen. Only reason he played so early was the starter got hurt early in the year, and AP was thrown in there.
DMac didn't play early either.
Just watched the 30 for 30 special on the Fab Five at Michigan. Several quotes from the upperclassmen at Mich saying there was some resentment towards the Fab 5, getting all that attention, and those upperclassmen were good players too. They had to figure out how to make it work.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 02, 2015, 10:25:37 pm
I saw Monk play vs Northside this year.  He could make the roster of an NBA team tomorrow.  That's how good he is.  He would be the best player on the hogs roster without a doubt.  That includes Portis.
Remember a guy named Dejuan Wagner? High school phenom, scored 80 points in a game once, a scoring machine. Played for Cal at Memphis, I think.
Anyway, he was a good freshman, had a nice career in college, not sure about pros. But the point is, compared to high school billing, he never lived up, not even close.
So you never know with these guys. Monk may live up to the hype, but that's probably impossible now. Tell you what: if he could have the impact that Bobby Portis has had, I'd probably take it right now.

usf15cc

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 08, 2015, 11:45:35 pm
Remember a guy named Dejuan Wagner? High school phenom, scored 80 points in a game once, a scoring machine. Played for Cal at Memphis, I think.
Anyway, he was a good freshman, had a nice career in college, not sure about pros. But the point is, compared to high school billing, he never lived up, not even close.
So you never know with these guys. Monk may live up to the hype, but that's probably impossible now. Tell you what: if he could have the impact that Bobby Portis has had, I'd probably take it right now.
He scored 100 and is playing in the ABA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dajuan_Wagner
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/12/26/dajuan-wagner-comeback-injuries-where-are-they-now/20813137/

#1 STUNNA

What do you mean he didn't live up to the hype?? The dude was a stud at Memphis and a top 10 pick in the NBA... Illnesses and injuries are what hurt him... Not him underachieving!!!

The_Iceman

42 against Van Buren.

root_hawg

Wagner actually scored 100 in a game in HS, went #6 in NBA draft after freshman year and averaged double digits his first year bu then got injured and then had to have his colon taken out due to colitis that was non-responsive to medicine.

stan the man

I've seen both Allen and Monk
Play. No comparison. Monk is heads over Allen. Don't get me
wrong id like to have Allen as well

Big Nasty 34

If PT really is a deciding issue then we don't have to worry about him going to UK, KU maybe but not kentucky with their platoon system.

scruf

Based on the young man's demeanor and the respectful and professional way he handles himself in interviews and on the court, to go along with his stellar play, I want him on the Hogs but if he goes elsewhere I will harbor no ill will. Great kid.

michaels

heard he's planning on taking 2 years off and joining ISIS
before going pro

Porked Tongue

Quote from: scruf on March 10, 2015, 01:36:17 am
Based on the young man's demeanor and the respectful and professional way he handles himself in interviews and on the court, to go along with his stellar play, I want him on the Hogs but if he goes elsewhere I will harbor no ill will. Great kid.

This part is inaccurate.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 11, 2015, 04:16:49 pm
This part is inaccurate.
yeah from the couple of games I've seen he can be pretty pouty and do a lot of foot stomping.

jry04

He averaged like 25ppg in college. He got hurt, and that derailed his NBA career. The dude was a stud.

michaels

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 11, 2015, 04:16:49 pm
This part is inaccurate.

yes that is true as i heard that he is willing and able trying to assemble an ISIS professional globetrotters basketball team with his brother to compete after his senior year of high school training

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: michaels on March 12, 2015, 02:46:39 am
yes that is true as i heard that he is willing and able trying to assemble an ISIS professional globetrotters basketball team with his brother to compete after his senior year of high school training

Link?
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

TomBigBeeHog

any predictions on monk vs allen? Who dominates this matchup?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

PorkRinds

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 12, 2015, 09:54:51 am
any predictions on monk vs allen? Who dominates this matchup?

Monk.

RazorPiggie

Tripod1

If Allen doesn't get lots and lots of help then Monk will get 30+. One on one Allen is absolutely no match.

ricepig

NLR wins, Monk scores more points.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977