Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Whitt commits to Arkansas

Started by HawgAdvocate, June 02, 2014, 10:32:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Jimmy Whitt@JimmyWhitt33
This man @manualewatkins swear he can out sing me on snap haha SIKE!!!
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

rzrbackramsfan

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: jbcarol on July 05, 2014, 08:04:33 pm
Jimmy Whitt@JimmyWhitt33

That has to be good.

psooie

If MA lands Whitt, i would be in favor for a free pass for MA for the 2014-15 season.

jbcarol

Retweeted by Jimmy Whitt
Future150.com @Future150  ·  18h

PROSPECT WATCH: Jimmy Whitt, 2015 SG, @KCRunGMC. Talented CG who values the ball & can put up points. @JimmyWhitt33 http://f150.ws/1rE1LSM
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hog Fan from Camden

intelligence

Just watched his highlights and came away very impressed. The court vision and intangibles are there and he has a nice ball handle, not to mention his shooting and scoring around the basket. overall he just looks like a leader on the court and we would be very lucky to land him

GEO-HOG

Basketball recruiting is a completely different animal that I haven't been following as long as football.  It seems it is harder to get a read on bball recruits in which way they are leaning.  I hope Whitt is another commit that comes out of the blue

Sawyer

Quote from: jbcarol on July 05, 2014, 08:04:33 pm
Jimmy Whitt@JimmyWhitt33

Good chance Whitt won't base his decision on a friendship with a walk on who will only be there for two years.

klp1

Quote from: Sawyer on July 07, 2014, 05:55:47 pm
Good chance Whitt won't base his decision on a friendship with a walk on who will only be there for two years.

I think the "walk on's" daddy is a long time very close family friend.  It can't hurt.

Sawyer

Not like they grew up next door together, though.

I don't think that relationship goes back beyond when Watkins was in Columbia, so about a decade at most.

Certainly helps, but it won't be the deciding factor.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Sawyer on July 07, 2014, 07:16:16 pm
Not like they grew up next door together, though.

I don't think that relationship goes back beyond when Watkins was in Columbia, so about a decade at most.

Certainly helps, but it won't be the deciding factor.

"About a decade at most."

Well, we are talking about a 17 year old kid here. That's a pretty significant portion of Whitt's time on Earth and probably the most signification portion to date.

Breems

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 07, 2014, 07:19:42 pm

Well, we are talking about a 17 year old kid here. That's a pretty significant portion of Whitt's time on Earth and probably the most signification portion to date.

LoL
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Sawyer on July 07, 2014, 05:55:47 pm
When options are somewhat comparable, it's could be the tiebreaker to close the deal.

Johnboy

Awesome response.  +1

ArkansasI

Anybody else think Whitt's game resembles Richard Hamiltons?  They kinda look the same to me, too.

jbcarol

Retweeted by Manuale Watkins
Patrick Lowkey @_NobleMan  ·  Jul 3

"@Dtatum332: #tbt with the bros @Realist_Hooper9 @JimmyWhitt33 pic.twitter.com/QLuOdvcBcF" 😂 @rbeas5 @MySideEatN_SBE @manualewatkins

TomBigBeeHog

Manuale and Jimmy staying in touch can't hurt us one whit.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HOGINTENNESSEE

July 10, 2014, 12:02:05 pm #118 Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:56:06 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: ArkansasI on July 10, 2014, 08:37:13 am
Anybody else think Whitt's game resembles Richard Hamiltons?  They kinda look the same to me, too.

I was thinking Jason Terry or CJ Watson

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 10, 2014, 11:11:25 am
Manuale and Jimmy staying in touch can't hurt us one whit.

I believe it might even be in the coaches recruiting manuale.

Pork Twain

It's all about perspective.  Some don't have it, you do.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Breems

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on July 10, 2014, 12:06:09 pm
I believe it might even be in the coaches recruiting manuale.

Wat kins do they have?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Sawyer

Referring to Melvin Watkins' relationship to the family as a whole. You're not looking at an Anderson/Pressey situation. No doubt Jimmy is close to Manuale, and he knows Melvin better than probably any coach recruiting him. If you want to rest your hope on that, feel free.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Sawyer on July 12, 2014, 07:52:53 pm
Referring to Melvin Watkins' relationship to the family as a whole. You're not looking at an Anderson/Pressey situation. No doubt Jimmy is close to Manuale, and he knows Melvin better than probably any coach recruiting him. If you want to rest your hope on that, feel free.

And this changes what about your "maybe a decade at most" comment when we're talking about a 17 year old?

HawgAdvocate

Edit: wrong thread...meant for Monk.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mizzouman

Witt probably knows Tim Fuller as well as he knows anyone else. 

Been recruiting him since after his 8th grade year.

Anyway, I'm thinking Indiana has a great shot at him but look out for St. Louis as well.

-Blu

Is there any news about Whitt that I missed, as of today 4 recruiting guys including Jerry Meyer has predicted him to commit to Mizzou.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jimmy-Whitt-32136

HawgAdvocate

Whitt picked up an offer from Marquette today. Also, regarding the SMU/Muiday situation, Whitt retweeted this from SMU's Scout writer:

Adam Grosbard @AdamGrosbard  ·  1h
4* @JimmyWhitt33 says Mudiay news a nonfactor. "Coach Brown is still there so my opinion of (#SMU) being a great school...is still the same"

https://twitter.com/AdamGrosbard/status/488769643222294528
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

July 14, 2014, 04:05:26 pm #129 Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:35:54 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: -Blu on July 14, 2014, 02:24:53 pm
Is there any news about Whitt that I missed, as of today 4 recruiting guys including Jerry Meyer has predicted him to commit to Mizzou.

Guesses brought on by other guesses

mizzouman

Quote from: -Blu on July 14, 2014, 02:24:53 pm

247 is unreliable.

-Blu

Quote from: mizzouman on July 14, 2014, 04:38:23 pm
247 is unreliable.

Yea I know it's just mostly recruiting guys going off of hearsay and guessing.  I normally wouldn't say anything unless Jerry Meyer makes a pick though, I follow him on twitter and he's usually on top of things, usually if he makes a pick he's heard something or talked to someone that made him lean that way, I dropped my 247 subscription otherwise I'd ask Otis, he talks to Jerry and could find out why he made the pick.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on July 14, 2014, 04:50:48 pm
Yea I know it's just mostly recruiting guys going off of hearsay and guessing. ... usually if he makes a pick he's heard something or talked to someone that made him lean that way, I dropped my 247 subscription otherwise I'd ask Otis, he talks to Jerry and could find out why he made the pick.

247 Crystal Ball projections - where choosing the hometown team remains the easy guess FAR more often than not.

mizzouman

July 14, 2014, 07:13:46 pm #133 Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:34:55 am by mizzouman
From what I hear, he loves Indiana and also SLU. Mizzou is in there and have been recruiting him for a long. We'll just gave to wait and see.

-Blu

Quote from: mizzouman on July 14, 2014, 07:13:46 pm
From what I hear, he loves Indiana and also SLU. Mizzou is in there and have been recruiting him fo a long. We'll just gave to wait and see.

He loves every team but Arkansas right?

mizzouman

Quote from: -Blu on July 14, 2014, 08:45:43 pm
He loves every team but Arkansas right?
Nope, Arkansas is right in there.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 14, 2014, 04:56:37 pm
247 Crystal Ball projections - where choosing the hometown team remains the easy guess FAR more often than not.

Yep. Jerry Meyer also had KeVaughn Allen going to Arkansas for the longest. Maybe he knows something about Whitt but it was clear he didn't know anything about Allen. Arkansas was never in a position of leadership.

HawgAdvocate

Whitt now has an offer from Memphis.

Hawg Red

Bigger out-of-state get for the staff: Moses Kingsley or a potential Jimmy Whitt commitment?

I think they're very comparable.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 15, 2014, 10:26:32 am
Bigger out-of-state get for the staff: Moses Kingsley or a potential Jimmy Whitt commitment?

Jimmy Whitt would be a bigger get IMO.  And the reason I say that is because the staff doesn't really have problems getting quality forwards, I really never worry about us in that department. However, thus far during their time at Arkansas, they've struggled to bring in quality guards.  That perception could be changed this year however, we'll see how Beard, Durham, and Babb turn out.

But bringing in a top 50 guard that can do as much as Whitt can, would be a pretty big get for us.

poloprince

Quote from: -Blu on July 15, 2014, 01:05:26 pm
Jimmy Whitt would be a bigger get IMO.  And the reason I say that is because the staff doesn't really have problems getting quality forwards, I really never worry about us in that department. However, thus far during their time at Arkansas, they've struggled to bring in quality guards.  That perception could be changed this year however, we'll see how Beard, Durham, and Babb turn out.

But bringing in a top 50 guard that can do as much as Whitt can, would be a pretty big get for us.

There were several guards already on the roster when MA came and BJ and KY were top 50 guards at the time.  Ky finally seemed to turn the corner last seasn and BJ left.  Qualls and Bell were quaility additions and from my perspective they have contributed more than the guards that were already on the roster.  Nobles, Wade, Scott etc
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on July 15, 2014, 01:55:17 pm
There were several guards already on the roster when MA came and BJ and KY were top 50 guards at the time.  Ky finally seemed to turn the corner last seasn and BJ left.  Qualls and Bell were quaility additions and from my perspective they have contributed more than the guards that were already on the roster.  Nobles, Wade, Scott etc

Qualls has, but Bell hasn't contributed more than Nobles. Nobles will forever be underrated on Hogville. Would have been best off the bench but that isn't his fault. He contributed in more areas than Bell has to date.

Sawyer

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 12, 2014, 09:15:14 pm
And this changes what about your "maybe a decade at most" comment when we're talking about a 17 year old?

Because I don't put a whole lot of weight in a recruit dying to play for a team where his dad's friend is an assistant coach.

If this was a guy his dad grew up with, things might be different. Mike Anderson and Paul Pressey had a relationship going back 30+ years. Matt and Phil were essentially family. That kind of relationship would be huge for Arkansas, but there's a world of difference between "family friend" and "like family."

Hawg Red

Quote from: Sawyer on July 15, 2014, 02:41:58 pm
Because I don't put a whole lot of weight in a recruit dying to play for a team where his dad's friend is an assistant coach.

If this was a guy his dad grew up with, things might be different. Mike Anderson and Paul Pressey had a relationship going back 30+ years. Matt and Phil were essentially family. That kind of relationship would be huge for Arkansas, but there's a world of difference between "family friend" and "like family."

Man, you're wanting us to be saying something we're not. All anyone is saying is that Whitt is familiar with the Watkins family and that is likely to help our chances. No one is claiming Melvin Watkins is Jimmy's godfather or anything. If you'd use your eyes on read what's being posted here, no one is acting like Jimmy Whitt is dying to play here. We'd all consider the Hogs fortunate to get him.

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 15, 2014, 02:28:13 pm
Qualls has, but Bell hasn't contributed more than Nobles. Nobles will forever be underrated on Hogville. Would have been best off the bench but that isn't his fault. He contributed in more areas than Bell has to date.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on July 15, 2014, 01:05:26 pm

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 15, 2014, 10:26:32 am

Kingsley is proven in my book. He just needs to be on the court. We need a center. However, we need guards as well..... So, at their respective positions, they are players that we need...... We will have to wait and see how our new guards perform this year to see just which one is needed more. I believe we need a SF who can score. It is a shame we can't seem to get all the pieces together at one time.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on July 16, 2014, 08:17:05 pm
Kingsley is proven in my book. He just needs to be on the court. We need a center. However, we need guards as well..... So, at their respective positions, they are players that we need...... We will have to wait and see how our new guards perform this year to see just which one is needed more. I believe we need a SF who can score. It is a shame we can't seem to get all the pieces together at one time.

The SF position is the 1 position where we are stacked in both this upcoming year and this previous season.  We're so stacked there that we actually have to have our guys that play the "3 or SF" position play the 4 spot.

Last year SF position...... Qualls Clarke, Harris, Williams.  3 of those guys were in our top 5 scorers.  Yes, Clarke and Harris mostly play the 4 position in our system, but they were recruited as SF's and probably in most other systems that's where they would play.

This upcoming year...... Qualls, Miles, Harris, Williams, and possibly Babb when we go small. 

SF/PF is definitely not a concern for us.  Only thing we are worried about is quality guards, and maybe another big man to backup Portis and Kingsley.  All those concerns should be addressed this year, we'll see how Thompson and the new guards turn out.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on July 16, 2014, 09:44:40 pm
The SF position is the 1 position where we are stacked in both this upcoming year and this previous season.  We're so stacked there that we actually have to have our guys that play the "3 or SF" position play the 4 spot.

Last year SF position...... Qualls Clarke, Harris, Williams.  3 of those guys were in our top 5 scorers.  Yes, Clarke and Harris mostly play the 4 position in our system, but they were recruited as SF's and probably in most other systems that's where they would play.

This upcoming year...... Qualls, Miles, Harris, Williams, and possibly Babb when we go small. 

SF/PF is definitely not a concern for us.  Only thing we are worried about is quality guards, and maybe another big man to backup Portis and Kingsley.  All those concerns should be addressed this year, we'll see how Thompson and the new guards turn out.

I gotta feeling Qualls is gone after this year. I think Miles is advertised as athletic.... well, that's definitely a plus, but I want to see a SF who can score. Williams has not been consistent and turns the ball over. He has been rebounding well though. Harris has poor judgment on shot selection in my book. Plus , I made my statement because we will be losing players this year ,and the money players don't grow on trees. Perhaps the next year when we will have more scholarships, we may see a money, freshman SF. You just never know how recruiting is going to go. I wanted guards and a SF this year so we we would not have such a void next year. Look next year and see how many of the players you mentioned will be around.

poloprince

Quote from: mhuff on July 16, 2014, 09:59:23 pm
I gotta feeling Qualls is gone after this year. I think Miles is advertised as athletic.... well, that's definitely a plus, but I want to see a SF who can score. Williams has not been consistent and turns the ball over. He has been rebounding well though. Harris has poor judgment on shot selection in my book. Plus , I made my statement because we will be losing players this year ,and the money players don't grow on trees. Perhaps the next year when we will have more scholarships, we may see a money, freshman SF. You just never know how recruiting is going to go. I wanted guards and a SF this year so we we would not have such a void next year. Look next year and see how many of the players you mentioned will be around.

It is very possible we only lose the two seniors KY and Harris.  ;)
$PoLoPrInCe$

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Sawyer on July 15, 2014, 02:41:58 pm

Have you been reading this thread?

I'm basically Darkwing Duck