Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Micah Thomas

Started by -Blu, October 30, 2015, 01:03:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Article just came out about him today, said we are 1 of 4 schools currently pursing him the hardest.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Mark-Turgeon-visits-Memphis-forward-40661186

Razorod

Interesting to note. Wonder if there are any academic concerns here? Are you aware of any Blu?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

-Blu

Quote from: Razorod on October 30, 2015, 01:11:47 pm
Interesting to note. Wonder if there are any academic concerns here? Are you aware of any Blu?

I have no idea about Thomas recruitment, it's been very quiet, I haven't heard any of the Arkansas media mention him.  This is actially the first news I've heard on him since July.

The_Iceman

Mike keeps recruiting very close to the vest. I'm not surprised that there are recruits out there we didn't know he was on.

Hawg Red

Getting a Melvin Frazier vibe from Micah Thomas. Player that you'd think you'd hear more about, but his recruitment overall is just super, super quiet. Telling. Sounds almost exactly like Frazier last recruiting class.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 30, 2015, 03:31:57 pm
Getting a Melvin Frazier vibe from Micah Thomas. Player that you'd think you'd hear more about, but his recruitment overall is just super, super quiet. Telling. Sounds almost exactly like Frazier last recruiting class.

Does kinda have that vibe to it.  What ever happened to Frazier, did he ever qualify for Tulane?

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on October 30, 2015, 04:34:40 pm
Does kinda have that vibe to it.  What ever happened to Frazier, did he ever qualify for Tulane?

I think he did. I read an article from this month talking about him and there was no mention of him not playing.

hogwood

Thomas was offered by Louisville recently. Why have we seemingly backed off? He must be having a stellar year already up at Huntington Prep. He was described in the story about the Louisville offer as "super explosive athlete". Seems right up our alley...

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on December 05, 2015, 05:36:45 pm
Thomas was offered by Louisville recently. Why have we seemingly backed off? He must be having a stellar year already up at Huntington Prep. He was described in the story about the Louisville offer as "super explosive athlete". Seems right up our alley...

Who knows with this staff regarding recruiting.

King Kong

Quote from: hogwood on December 05, 2015, 05:36:45 pm

MA and staff don't leak recruitng information to recruiting guy like our football staff does.

It doesn't mean we arent still recruiting him. It was just a month ago he said we are one of the teams recruiting him the hardest

hogwood

Quote from: King Kong on December 06, 2015, 11:14:17 am
MA and staff don't leak recruitng information to recruiting guy like our football staff does.

It doesn't mean we arent still recruiting him. It was just a month ago he said we are one of the teams recruiting him the hardest

True. I just get worried we're not on top of things when all you see is Maryland and Baylor in his CB and numerous articles about his recent Louisville offer and nothing about us. Mike needs to learn that these kids pay attention to recruiting sites and their profiles. And when fans start following them and writers start writing about their new offer it makes an impression. I think it does. It can show how involved the fan base and community is with the program which is huge. Maybe Mike already knows this but just doesn't like it. Once again, who knows.

HawgAdvocate

Scout just put out a new Micah Thomas article. It mentions he's getting strong interest from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Memphis, and now Louisville and Maryland.

He mentioned three visits he definitely wanted to take: LSU, Louisville and Maryland "for sure." Any mention of Arkansas wasn't included in the article.

Why those three?
LSU: "Their type of play. They get up and down."
Louisville: "Louisville, same thing [as LSU]. The same thing. They want me to be a guard."
Maryland: "They call me. They started recruited me late, but they are recruiting me hard and talking to my mom."

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1620533-micas-thomas-adds-new-offers
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogwood

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 07, 2015, 01:34:36 pm
Scout just put out a new Micah Thomas article. It mentions he's getting strong interest from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Memphis, and now Louisville and Maryland.

He mentioned three visits he definitely wanted to take: LSU, Louisville and Maryland "for sure." Any mention of Arkansas wasn't included in the article.

Why those three?
LSU: "Their type of play. They get up and down."
Louisville: "Louisville, same thing [as LSU]. The same thing. They want me to be a guard."
Maryland: "They call me. They started recruited me late, but they are recruiting me hard and talking to my mom."

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1620533-micas-thomas-adds-new-offers

Pretty much what I thought was happening. Hopeful that there is still a shot but these other guys are obviously going harder.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on December 07, 2015, 01:55:46 pm
Pretty much what I thought was happening. Hopeful that there is still a shot but these other guys are obviously going harder.

I'm guessing its because we are recruiting Thomas for the 3/4 spot, and we have Cook, Bailey, and Thomas already in play for that next year (assuming Thompson moves back to 5). If I were Mike, I wouldn't have stopped recruiting a kid like Thomas. You find somewhere on the court to put a talent like that.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 07, 2015, 02:41:19 pm
If I were Mike, I wouldn't have stopped recruiting a kid like Thomas.

We shouldn't assume we've stopped or slowed our recruiting. It's quite possible/probable that Thomas could simply favor these other teams more. If his interest in other schools comes from their "get up and down" style of play, as it has with LSU and Louisville, it would appear our staff would need to bring a different approach in order to differentiate themselves better.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

FATHAWG08

Reminds me of Todd Day in a way
I love off season Football!!

Hawg Red

Just saw a retweet by RD that we are in Micah's final 4 with Maryland, Louisville, and LSU.

Probably headed to Maryland but he would be a huge pickup.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 17, 2016, 08:48:35 pm
Just saw a retweet by RD that we are in Micah's final 4 with Maryland, Louisville, and LSU.

This can't be right, I thought we stopped recruiting him or he favored other schools besides Arkansas.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on January 17, 2016, 09:21:19 pm
This can't be right, I thought we stopped recruiting him or he favored other schools besides Arkansas.

He supposedly does favor Maryland, but his recruitment has been very quite. Probably grade related.

jry04

Quote from: azhog10 on January 17, 2016, 09:21:19 pm
Iceman said so, so that has to be what happened. Mike made a huge mistake by not recruiting this kid, even though we are in his final four.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jry04 on January 18, 2016, 08:18:03 am
Iceman said so, so that has to be what happened. Mike made a huge mistake by not recruiting this kid, even though we are in his final four.

He's not coming here, so in the end it doesn't really matter.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 18, 2016, 08:19:56 am
Of course he isn't. Why would he come here when Mike Anderson stopped recruiting him like you said?

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 18, 2016, 08:19:56 am
But that's not what we are talking about. Of course this is typical, "mike stopped recruiting this kid and I can't believe it, mike is an awful recruiter" then information comes out that we must be recruiting the kid as we made his top 4. So now the rhetoric is "it doesn't matter, he's not coming here". It's pretty typical I honestly didn't even have to see Icemans response. I could have posted it for him.

hogwood

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 17, 2016, 08:48:35 pm

Great news. Thanks for the update. None of us really know what is going on. Mike has a tight circle. Stop pretending. We made his Final 4. We are obviously recruiting him and he is obviously considering us at least.

Letsroll1200

I guess the hogs are continuing to work hard on the recruiting trail. Hopefully we can bring this kid end in order to add to a already good class.

hogwood

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 19, 2016, 08:58:08 pm
I guess the hogs are continuing to work hard on the recruiting trail. Hopefully we can bring this kid end in order to add to a already good class.

Would love to get this kid, along with a big. That being said I think Thomas is headed elsewhere just from reading all the articles on him. Maryland is always mentioned. But we have a shot since CMA has a relationship with the Huntington Prep coach and a great example in Kingsley in how he can develop the alumni from there.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogwood on January 20, 2016, 07:54:07 am
Would love to get this kid, along with a big. That being said I think Thomas is headed elsewhere just from reading all the articles on him. Maryland is always mentioned. But we have a shot since CMA has a relationship with the Huntington Prep coach and a great example in Kingsley in how he can develop the alumni from there.

If we sign Thomas in the spring watch out for his grades.  Everybody remembers Kapita?  But we do need another Big in the spring.  Hopefully someone turns up.   I know Mikes style of recruiting of not letting information to leak out kills us recruitniks but that is Mike.  I don't see an advantage either way but I love the way our football staff does it much better.

chiefhawg

Latest update. Thomas says that the Hogs have been recruiting him since ninth grade.

http://hoopseen.com/index.php/news/headlines/item/4130-thomas-down-to-four

The Memphis native is also strongly considering Arkansas.

"They've been recruiting me since ninth grade. They've been recruiting me for a long time," Thomas said. "I've become pretty close with the coaches and I have family in Arkansas."

The_Iceman

Quote from: chiefhawg on January 22, 2016, 10:55:34 am
Latest update. Thomas says that the Hogs have been recruiting him since ninth grade.

"They've been recruiting me since ninth grade. They've been recruiting me for a long time," Thomas said. "I've become pretty close with the coaches and I have family in Arkansas."

I would love to be wrong and see Mike land a 6'6" athlete like Micah. Maybe even bring his AAU teammate Jaylen Fisher with him.

hogwood

Quote from: chiefhawg on January 22, 2016, 10:55:34 am

He said he just wants to go somewhere where he can get better. LSU should be out of the question. I think Jones is a horrible coach and player developer. Maryland hasn't put anyone in the pros in a while, but should change soon with Trimble and Stone. Still I think the most proven developer is CMA. Many examples on the team right now. Bell was hardly even a 3 star but is averaging 17 a game now. Kingsley speaks for himself. Portis is rocking in the NBA right now. Qualls was a stellar college athlete who came from mediocre 3 star ranks, and he should get his time in the NBA someday soon.

Pitino is an excellent coach and he runs a strong contending program, but I honestly can't even think of anyone he has put in the league recently except for Harrell and Rozier, who I donate expect to have careers even comparable to Bobby's.

mhuff

I respect Micah's ability and humility. I would like to see Fisher and Thomas become Hogs.

Danny J

No doubt...would be sweet

The Hogfather

If we somehow add Fisher and Thomas.....looook out!  I won't be counting on it.

hogwood

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 22, 2016, 04:02:14 pm
If we somehow add Fisher and Thomas.....looook out!  I won't be counting on it.

Yeah that would be a crazy turnaround. IMO we would need to get Fisher on board first. Then Thomas. I think we were a close 2nd for Fisher. I was really surprised he chose UNLV. If we get these two, F Monk, forget him and whoop his ass next year when he is riding the bench at KY.

HawgAdvocate

His only scheduled visit is to Louisville. Until he books another trip, he's theirs to lose.

yraciv

Quote from: hogwood on January 20, 2016, 07:54:07 am

Not sure about Turgeon, but lots of coaches have relationships with Huntington Prep.  I know Pitino had Gorgui Dieng who went to Prep, and turned out to be a pretty good one. They feed out a lot of D1 prospects.

hawginbigd1

I saw a tweet on my feed that Micahh Smith was visiting this weekend, and I was really excited for like 5 seconds! ;D

nwahogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on October 30, 2015, 02:56:01 pm
I have no idea about Thomas recruitment, it's been very quiet, I haven't heard any of the Arkansas media mention him.  This is actially the first news I've heard on him since July.

Blu,  you keep up with BB recruiting at Arkansas a lot better than most and isn't it a shame we don't hear more recruiting news.   Seems to me if our Coaches were proud of who they recruit and how hard they are pursuing them then they would be happy to leak out more info. It is like the coaches are hiding something or that we the fans do not need to know.  Or worse yet we the fans don't have the right to know.  Heck we are nobodies aren't we?  We only pay his salary but we are unimportant and should not know how they are spending their time and who they are recruiting.  Go figure. 

Shame.

Swinesong1

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 27, 2016, 08:58:57 am
Blu,  you keep up with BB recruiting at Arkansas a lot better than most and isn't it a shame we don't hear more recruiting news.   Seems to me if our Coaches were proud of who they recruit and how hard they are pursuing them then they would be happy to leak out more info. It is like the coaches are hiding something or that we the fans do not need to know.  Or worse yet we the fans don't have the right to know.  Heck we are nobodies aren't we?  We only pay his salary but we are unimportant and should not know how they are spending their time and who they are recruiting.  Go figure. 

Shame.
You really do reach a lot.

klp1

I read that grades are an issue with Thomas. He may not qualify.  If he doesn't, he'll do another year in prep school.

The_Iceman

Quote from: klp1 on January 27, 2016, 09:43:05 am
I read that grades are an issue with Thomas. He may not qualify.  If he doesn't, he'll do another year in prep school.

Sounds like Kapita 2.0.

klp1

That explains why his recruiting was so "quiet" early on and why he didn't take any visits in the fall.

hogwood

On his 247 page we are listed as being "Warmer" only behind Louisville. Seems some experts at 247 must think we are in 2nd place. Maryland is "Warm". LSU has nothing. That was his top 4 he published not long ago. Hope we get a visit soon. We could steal this kid from Louisville with all the drama going on there now. Then we could start to whisper in Fisher´s ear again and get him out of the Vegas desert.

http://247sports.com/player/micah-thomas-75138

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on February 07, 2016, 02:30:02 pm
On his 247 page we are listed as being "Warmer" only behind Louisville. Seems some experts at 247 must think we are in 2nd place. Maryland is "Warm". LSU has nothing. That was his top 4 he published not long ago. Hope we get a visit soon. We could steal this kid from Louisville with all the drama going on there now. Then we could start to whisper in Fisher´s ear again and get him out of the Vegas desert.

http://247sports.com/player/micah-thomas-75138

We would be so incredibly deep next year if we were to add Thomas. Then throw in Fisher if we were able to land him as well, and some really good players may not even see much PT.

The Hogfather

Adding Thomas and Fisher would make us ridiculous for years to come.  If there was ever a team that deserves it to happen, it is Arkansas.  We need something to help us turn that corner.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 07, 2016, 02:52:28 pm
Adding Thomas and Fisher would make us ridiculous for years to come.  If there was ever a team that deserves it to happen, it is Arkansas.  We need something to help us turn that corner.

What's interesting is we just dropped to #26 in the 2016 rankings on 247. If we only add Thomas, we won't move up a spot. I find it hard to believe that we can add 5 players of that caliber to our roster and only be at #26. Thomas AND Fisher would bump us to #16 tho.

And I would argue that those 6 players are a better class than some ranked in the Top 15. But, it is still wishful thinking that we will add those two (or at least I'm not getting my hopes up).

Scott7703

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2016, 11:42:06 am
What's interesting is we just dropped to #26 in the 2016 rankings on 247. If we only add Thomas, we won't move up a spot. I find it hard to believe that we can add 5 players of that caliber to our roster and only be at #26. Thomas AND Fisher would bump us to #16 tho.

And I would argue that those 6 players are a better class than some ranked in the Top 15. But, it is still wishful thinking that we will add those two (or at least I'm not getting my hopes up).

I'm guessing 247 doesn't value junior college recruits very highly. If we were to add Thomas and fisher you could argue this COULD be the best class top to bottom ever signed at Arkansas.

yraciv

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 08, 2016, 11:52:23 am
I'm guessing 247 doesn't value junior college recruits very highly. If we were to add Thomas and fisher you could argue this COULD be the best class top to bottom ever signed at Arkansas.

That is a bold statement. Not one of these recruits is projected to be a NBA guy. Certainly it's possible one makes it, but we have had many top rated classes, with sure thing pros, throughout the years.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 08, 2016, 11:52:23 am

Actually, they are the best at evaluating JUCO basketball, from what ive seen.

My point being is that Micah Thomas and his skill set will be way more valuable in our system than many others.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2016, 12:16:45 pm
Actually, they are the best at evaluating JUCO basketball, from what ive seen.

My point being is that Micah Thomas and his skill set will be way more valuable in our system than many others.

Micah Thomas would be huge for us.  He fits a need and he has a chance to grow into a very, very, very good player.  He is way ahead of Qualls at this point and look where Qualls got to by his junior year.