Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FBI sting results in arrests

Started by HoggyCat, September 26, 2017, 08:34:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggyCat

Don't have all the particulars, but an Okie Lite and Auburn assistant have been arrested by the FBI. Something related to NBA kickbacks. Also reports of managers and financial managers of apparel companies arrested in ties to it.

http://footballscoop.com/news/fbi-arrests-several-ncaa-basketball-coaches-corruption/
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

onebadrubi

No way auburn would be tied up In any kind of trouble, Bruce pearl is squeaky clean......

Hopefully players names come out as well

batmanfan

Looks like their may be some ADIDAS schools involved in other investigations as well via Darren Rovell.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

MrKnowItAll

Press Conference Advisory

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/press-conference-advisory-2

There will be a press conference today at noon to announce charges of fraud and corruption in college basketball.  Federal criminal charges have been brought against ten people, including four college basketball coaches, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company.  The press conference will be livestreamed on Facebook @USAOSDNY.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: batmanfan on September 26, 2017, 09:22:22 am
Looks like their may be some ADIDAS schools involved in other investigations as well via Darren Rovell.

Isn't M$U an adidas school? js 
#NolanRichardsonCourt

MrKnowItAll

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 26, 2017, 09:02:32 am
No way auburn would be tied up In any kind of trouble, Bruce pearl is squeaky clean......

Hopefully players names come out as well

3kgthog

HamIAm

QuoteAlong with coaches, the defendants include one agent, a financial adviser and a former referee.

a referee?  you don't say

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-26/u-s-announces-crackdown-on-kickbacks-in-college-basketball-j81mv20v

Kevin

No way to sugar coat it. These indictments are a nuclear bomb dropped on college basketball just as the season is starting.
from seth davis on twitter
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Rome26

Thank god we have a coaching staff that does it the right way. I hope all of these cheaters get the death penalty.

Pistol Pig Maravich

Any 5 star recruits out there looking for a new program for fear of sanctions...come on down!!

HamIAm

So why is no one at Louisville being charged....yet?

QuoteIn one instance, Gatto and the other defendants reportedly funneled $100,000 to the family of a high school basketball player to convince the player to sign with a "public research university" in Kentucky. According to an undercover agent investigating the case, Gatto told other defendants that the payment was "on the books" at Adidas, but "not on the books for what it's actually for."

The complaint doesn't name the university. Based on details provided, it is likely the University of Louisville, which signed a $160 million sponsorship deal with Adidas in August.

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-basketball-bribery-scandal-arrests-2017-9

hoglady

Like anyone who pays attention to college basketball and recruiting - is surprised by any of this.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

mhuff

Well it's about time. Wonder how long it will take for other schools in the SEC to get caught. I am talking about recruits we've lost because our Arkansan's made "bidness" decisions. This makes my day because I want all the leeches to burn. Some players are going down with them. Perhaps there will be some decommits.

MakingPlays

LOL, I knew Bruce Pearl and his staff were doing some shady stuff to get all these top recruits to want to come play basketball at Auburn. 

This is exactly why the NCAA is a joke, a lot of these programs are out here cheating and nothing is ever done about it.  This sting is a good step in the right direction, however it's interesting to me that none of these blue blood schools are getting linked to anything when we all know they cheat.  There's no way Kentucky lands a #1 class every single year and hasn't shelled out any money.  UNC is another school we know that cheats, and nothing on them either. 

Razorod

It will be interesting to see what all comes out of this investigation. I'm sure it has cost us recruits.

It does make you appreciate both Richardson and Anderson who have steered clear of much of what goes on in recruiting. I'm not saying they were/are pure as the driven snow, but I am confident they don't wade knee deep in this muck like so many do.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

HamIAm

Quote from: Little Lady Back on September 26, 2017, 09:57:43 am
In before hoginsanity...

It was not my intent to paint all referees with one stroke there.  I know several, all upstanding people.  I'm just saying we've all seen a ref or two who seemed to be on another planet as far as calls went.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin McPherson

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on September 26, 2017, 10:27:38 am
A lot more will shake out of this.

A&M, Stansbury, and MSU are sweating bullets, I'm sure, right now. 

Adam Stokes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/09/26/justice-department-charges-college-basketball-coaches-with-accepting-bribes-in-corruption-case/?utm_term=.2d9a65565165

Another good article on it. I like how they say "A public school" with such and such enrollment, and a private school with such and such enrollment. A quick Google search showed that the correlating schools are Louisville and Miami. We had better be in the clear, considering Archie and Malik were simply business decisions in not coming here.

rhog1

I would be shocked if Kentucky isn't caught up in this.  You know Cal is dirty.

hoglady

Quote from: rhog1 on September 26, 2017, 10:46:50 am

They actually might be since it is an FBI investigation - if it was an NCAA investigation I would say no way.
They never go after the chosen few.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Little Lady Back on September 26, 2017, 09:57:43 am
In before hoginsanity...

I don't know if this was a typo or not but that would be the perfect name for the guy we know as Hogsanity.  ;D

When I read that I actually burst out laughing. Thanks for my first birthday laugh of the day. You done good Lil Lady Back. Real good.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Kevin

they caught Adidas. nike & under armour schools have not been caught

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 26, 2017, 10:49:10 am
I don't know if this was a typo or not but that would be the perfect name for the guy we know as Hogsanity.  ;D

When I read that I actually burst out laughing. Thanks for my first birthday laugh of the day. You done good Lil Lady Back. Real good.

You are very welcome and happy birthday Fine! BTW: just a typo  ;)
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Letsroll1200

Sometimes this is why we lose 5 star talent. Mississippi State/ Adidas School.

FineAsSwine

Are they an Adidas school?
Hogs up! Covid down!

rzrbackramsfan

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/ncaa-basketball-officials-arrested-on-fraud-and-corruption-charges.html

Another good one it says:

According to court documents, the sports apparel executive listed is James "Jim" Gatto. Gatto's LinkedIn profile identifies him as the director of global sports marketing, for basketball, at Adidas.

Gatto has been accused of getting $100,000 to an "All-American high school basketball player" — so the player would attend a school with an apparel contract with Adidas.

REGGIE PERRY. 

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 26, 2017, 10:51:48 am

Umm...was thinking the same thing.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

King Kong

Quote from: Kevin on September 26, 2017, 10:50:37 am

Yet

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Little Lady Back on September 26, 2017, 10:51:29 am
You are very welcome and happy birthday Fine! BTW: just a typo  ;)

That's right stick to the code and never confess. You could be my partner in crime, ha ha. 

Glad we're a Nike school because we don't need to get caught up in this mess. Pretty sure our coaches are clean though. I hope all of the scumbags go down and level the playing field for the ones who are trying to do right.

Oh, and thanks for the birthday wishes.  ;D
Hogs up! Covid down!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 26, 2017, 10:51:54 am
Are they an Adidas school?

Here's a list of Adidas schools

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Adidas_sponsorships#North_American_colleges_and_universities

One thing I noticed... they don't have many power 5 programs.  The only ones I saw were A&M, MS St., Miami, KU, Louisville and NC State.  They're probably pushing hard in those P5 programs they do have.  A&M and Ms. St. are ffuuhhhddd

hogwood

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 26, 2017, 10:51:48 am

If MSU is caught up in this then I am 100% certain Mike would never even touch the Perry's again, or any of the kids committed to one of these schools. So I don't see us going after any possible decommits. It's too risky.

rhog1

Quote from: Kevin on September 26, 2017, 10:50:37 am

Auburn is an Under Armour school though.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 26, 2017, 10:52:57 am
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/ncaa-basketball-officials-arrested-on-fraud-and-corruption-charges.html

According to court documents, the sports apparel executive listed is James "Jim" Gatto. Gatto's LinkedIn profile identifies him as the director of global sports marketing, for basketball, at Adidas.

Gatto has been accused of getting $100,000 to an "All-American high school basketball player" — so the player would attend a school with an apparel contract with Adidas.

REGGIE PERRY.

Daddy gonna be really sick now.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hog Fan...DOH!

You think OM fans might be out for a little blood against MSU?  After what happened with Freeze?   Getcha popcorn ready.

HamIAm

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 26, 2017, 11:00:04 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Adidas_sponsorships#North_American_colleges_and_universities

One thing I noticed... they don't have many power 5 programs.  The only ones I saw were A&M, MS St., Miami, KU, Louisville and NC State.  They're probably pushing hard in those P5 programs they do have.  A&M and Ms. St. are ffuuhhhddd

Indiana

rzrbackramsfan

Add Indiana and Nebraska and those are the only P5 programs Adidas has.  Tulsa's with them too. 

We have been in a recruiting battle with every single one of those schools and lost.  Lots of them were head scratchters too. 

rhog1

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 26, 2017, 10:52:57 am

REGGIE PERRY. 
https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/louisville-paid-5-star-100000-ensure-commitment

Wasn't Perry for that. It was Brian Bowen at Louisville. Pitino should be hammered for it but of course he won't be.

Seebs

Wait, wait, wait .. so did any of these kids kneel during the national anthem. That is what is most important in sports right now correct?  This can't be newsworthy.

In all seriousness, I see some kids losing eligibility in short order and heading to UAE and Turkey to play.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Quote from: rhog1 on September 26, 2017, 11:07:24 am
https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/louisville-paid-5-star-100000-ensure-commitment

Wasn't Perry for that. It was Brian Bowen at Louisville. Pitino should be hammered for it but of course he won't be.
Correct, it's not Perry. We should be careful throwing out specific names that aren't correct.

hogwood

Plus Kansas, Indiana, and Nebraska.

Kevin

Quote from: rhog1 on September 26, 2017, 11:03:11 am
Auburn is an Under Armour school though.

curious, because gatto is adidas

I'm sure Pitino will be just as shocked about this as he was his assistants hiring hookers for recruits on campus. Poor guy can't catch a break.

HamIAm

Quote from: Kevin on September 26, 2017, 11:14:56 am
curious, because gatto is adidas

I think there is a lot more to this than just Adidas
QuoteThree separate complaints have been filed.
That's not a complaint per coach, there were 4 assistant coaches, managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company.

Here we see a person with Nike connections involved
QuoteOther defendants include Jonathan Brad Augustine, president of nonprofit The League Initiative; Merl Code, the head of Nike's Elite Youth Basketball League as of 2013; and Christian Dawkins, a former sports agent who was reportedly fired in May for charging $42,000 in Uber rides on an NBA player's credit card. Gatto and other defendants reportedly used apparent payments to the nonprofits as a way to conceal bribes paid to players and their families.