Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FBI sting results in arrests

Started by HoggyCat, September 26, 2017, 08:34:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 26, 2017, 10:52:57 am
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/ncaa-basketball-officials-arrested-on-fraud-and-corruption-charges.html

Another good one it says:

According to court documents, the sports apparel executive listed is James "Jim" Gatto. Gatto's LinkedIn profile identifies him as the director of global sports marketing, for basketball, at Adidas.

Gatto has been accused of getting $100,000 to an "All-American high school basketball player" — so the player would attend a school with an apparel contract with Adidas.

REGGIE PERRY. 
Didn't he use to be at Nike

rhog1

Quote from: Kevin on September 26, 2017, 11:14:56 am
curious, because gatto is adidas

I checked Arizona is a Nike school. The investigation wasn't just focused on Adidas.

ChicoHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 26, 2017, 09:02:32 am
No way auburn would be tied up In any kind of trouble, Bruce pearl is squeaky clean......

Hopefully players names come out as well
As some one who cannot stand Bruce Pearl, by far my least favorite coach in college basketball, I am loving this.  Bring down the hammer!!!!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ChicoHog

Quote from: rhog1 on September 26, 2017, 10:46:50 am
I would be shocked if Kentucky isn't caught up in this.  You know Cal is dirty.
UK and Calipari are so good at recruiting and turning the "one and dones" they don't need to cheat.  I hope they are involved but i just don't see it.

HamIAm

I see where ESPN says that Merl Code recently left Nike for Adidas. So we don't know where his involvement occured.

chiefhawg

Bruce Pearl + Auburn + Scandal = What else is new.

Kevin

Quote from: HamIAm on September 26, 2017, 11:28:40 am
I see where ESPN says that Merl Code recently left Nike for Adidas. So we don't know where his involvement occured.

he played at Clemson, back in the day

was part of the nike grassroots program. could get real interesting
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

HamIAm

Rashan Michel is the referee mentioned earlier. He is a former NCAA and NBA referee.  He founded  Thompson Bespoke Clothing, a custom clothier for athletes.  Apparently this is unrelated to his officiating duties.

chiefhawg

Rick AKA "Tony Soprano" Pitino  + Basketball = Scandal.

MrKnowItAll

3kgthog

Hope we don't end up with anyone caught up in this.

Pretty telling when one agent said at the press conference that they now "know your playbook" and the investigation is ongoing. Just go read some of the tweets from the media. They are getting texts that this is going to get A LOT bigger.

Kevin

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 26, 2017, 11:56:25 am
Hope we don't end up with anyone caught up in this.

Pretty telling when one agent said at the press conference that they now "know your playbook" and the investigation is ongoing. Just go read some of the tweets from the media. They are getting texts that this is going to get A LOT bigger.

if guys flip, it will blow up

navyhog24

MA and crew definitely are clean. We don't land the recruits a cheating school would, ie Auburns, UK's, and MSU's of the world. If we are, we suck at it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 26, 2017, 11:04:58 am
You think OM fans might be out for a little blood against MSU?  After what happened with Freeze?   Getcha popcorn ready.

There are a "bank" of Ole Miss grad lawyers supposedly already pooling together a HUGE diary of recruiting violations across the SEC.  They are saying they will release it upon the announcement of punishment against Ole Miss...  It sounds like a crock, they should just go ahead and release it and fuel the fire!

HamIAm

Just heard on ESPN radio that 10 schools are involved

onebadrubi

Quote from: HamIAm on September 26, 2017, 11:17:52 am
I think there is a lot more to this than just AdidasThat's not a complaint per coach, there were 4 assistant coaches, managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company.

Here we see a person with Nike connections involved

Haven't we heard of apartment or housing payments involving nike, north little rock, and a current tOSU player, a way to possibly funnel money..... hmmmm 

Crap, it didn't quote your quote about apartment payments being used to funnel payments to players

onebadrubi

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 26, 2017, 11:23:52 am
UK and Calipari are so good at recruiting and turning the "one and dones" they don't need to cheat.  I hope they are involved but i just don't see it.

Cal has a fall guy in Memphis, isn't his name wes or something?

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: MrKnowItAll on September 26, 2017, 11:49:27 am

That's odd. Pitino is an objectively awful person, but it doesn't make much sense that he'd call attention to the peculiarity of his recruitment if he were involved in it.
Honestly, my first reaction to the story was that Adidas was paying assistants, and the assistants were hiding it from the head coaches completely or at least the head coach didn't want to know. Pitino all but said in that quote that something weird was going on. I just can't imagine him saying all that if he knew Bowen's recruitment was especially dirty.
It also makes sense that Adidas would be paying coaches and players for recruits. Nike is the head honcho, and this higher-up at Adidas probably felt this was the best (maybe only?) way to make significant headway in market share.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

holeinthewall

Adidas just went on a big push the last couple years to sign more programs.  ASU is Adidias

311Hog

Quote from: holeinthewall on September 26, 2017, 12:13:14 pm
Adidas just went on a big push the last couple years to sign more programs.  ASU is Adidias

clever new strategy.  Pay the players families, through assistants and underlings of the assistants without the head coaches "knowing" about it.  Just magic they get the recruit amirite.  Because oversight is hard, and running down all these financial leads takes quiet a bit of manpower and time.

riccoar

Wonder if any heralded recruits out there have family members looking for an IN with a university to establish clients for their agency?

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 26, 2017, 12:08:01 pm
Cal has a fall guy in Memphis, isn't his name wes or something?
Worldwide Wes is more powerful than Calipari. If William Wesley is dirty, then he could bring down an enormous part of the basketball establishment, from AAU all the way up to the Association.
He became friends with Milt Wagner in the 1980s, made some more friends, made a contact with Cal early on at Memphis, and after Milt Wagner's son DeJuan became a huge recruit, Worldwide Wes went from a guy who knew some people to a guy who now is good friends with LeBron, Cal, Jay-Z, MJ, and everyone else in the world. And nobody knows exactly what he does besides make relationships. He hates Adidas, though, so he definitely won't appear anywhere in this probe.

hogwood

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

HawgnCorona

Good! Now go find the dirt on UK...Including WWW and Cal.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

ShadowHawg

farfromgroovins

Quote from: hoglady on September 26, 2017, 10:07:22 am
Like anyone who pays attention to college basketball and recruiting - is surprised by any of this.

Ain't that the truth. Head coaches and schools will get off without a scratch while the corporate rats and assistants will face fines and jail time. Then back to cheating business as usual.

TrueBlue

"Among those arrested was James Gatto, director of global sports marketing for Adidas, who was accused of paying high school basketball players or their families for committing to sign with a university sponsored by Adidas. The complaint identifies $250,000 in payments made by Gatto and other co-defendants."

PLEASE NAME NAMES FEDS!

It will make for an interesting season coming up if they do.

You won't have to "wait" for NCAA to pass judgment now that the Feds are involved.....

HawgnCorona

Miss Stank u should be scared about, NOW!
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

HamIAm

I'm finding no mention of 10 schools anywhere. I think the guy on ESPN radio was talking as he read and confused 10 people with 10 schools.

Found some interesting tweets from Jason Riley, I tried to link direct to each tweet but I'm doing something wrong

Tweet 1- So FBI didn't want the NCAA to know about the investigation. That speaks volumes.

Tweet 2 - This is in the Federal District of New York, which is where Wall Street fraud cases, like Enron, are prosecuted. They mean business

Tweet 3 - How did this start? Cooperating witness was charged and "had in the past engaged in this kind of conduct" and said he knew of others

Tweet 4- regarding a section where Dawkins is speaking - This is unreal, where a U of L coach says "we gotta be very low key" since U of L is already on probation

https://twitter.com/JasonRileyWDRB?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

outlawhogeywells

Tennessee was an Adidas school for years.  I can remember a couple of recruiting battles we lost with them. 

HamIAm

How did he get involved in this?

QuoteMartin Blazer, a former Pittsburgh financial adviser, who was accused of swindling $2.35 million from clients, was FBI's cooperating witness

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/912750237713932289

ok, last line in the section answers my question - offered loans and payments to athletes to retain him as their financial advisor or business manager

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKq9fcxW4AADbSN.jpg:large

IMABIELEMA

Lots of people commenting in this thread before reading the article or the complaint.  The biggest issue here aren't the individual coaches...

rhog1

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on September 26, 2017, 02:08:59 pm
Lots of people commenting in this thread before reading the article or the complaint.  The biggest issue here aren't the individual coaches...

Nah, this is an all of  NCAA basketball problem. It is interesting that it is several well known cheating schools like Auburn, USC, and Louisville  that are caught up in it first

poloprince

It's hard for MA to compete in recruiting with the type of money being passed around.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Quote from: poloprince on September 26, 2017, 02:30:03 pm
It's hard for MA to compete in recruiting with the type of money being passed around.
If you presume that Arkansas does not cheat on any significant scale (which I believe is correct), it is nearly impossible to compete at the very highest levels when there is systematic payment of players of tens of thousands of dollars.

mhuff

We shall see. Cal probably wrote the book

PurpleHog

Quote from: TrueBlue on September 26, 2017, 01:05:50 pm
"Among those arrested was James Gatto, director of global sports marketing for Adidas, who was accused of paying high school basketball players or their families for committing to sign with a university sponsored by Adidas. The complaint identifies $250,000 in payments made by Gatto and other co-defendants."

PLEASE NAME NAMES FEDS!

It will make for an interesting season coming up if they do.

You won't have to "wait" for NCAA to pass judgment now that the Feds are involved.....

Am I wrong in thinking these players will be ineligible to play in college if any of them have accepted cash payments?

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: PurpleHog on September 26, 2017, 02:44:07 pm
Am I wrong in thinking these players will be ineligible to play in college if any of them have accepted cash payments?
That's generally how the NCAA has handled these cases, yes, but if there's a case that break open where it's 50 high-profile recruits, who knows? There could either be unprecedented suspensions, firings, and probations, or they could do a sort of blanket amnesty thing for the good of college basketball (i.e., not putting the top 50 programs on probation at the same time).

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on September 26, 2017, 02:54:24 pm
That's generally how the NCAA has handled these cases, yes, but if there's a case that break open where it's 50 high-profile recruits, who knows? There could either be unprecedented suspensions, firings, and probations, or they could do a sort of blanket amnesty thing for the good of college basketball (i.e., not putting the top 50 programs on probation at the same time).

If all of this proves to be true and all the players that were paid are ineligible to play, Arkansas' gonna run the table. 

HawgnCorona

Hopefully, some wont get so upset when we dont get those prized recruits outside of AR...A good relationship is no match for prized recruit that has a family looking at the money they can get. On the take...pimpin, pimpin, pimpin...

But what is happening should be no surprise to some. To me this is just evidence of why it is difficult to recruit in these times.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 26, 2017, 02:57:16 pm
If all of this proves to be true and all the players that were paid are ineligible to play, Arkansas' gonna run the table. 
exactly. That would not be good for college basketball. It's kind of how the MLB handled the steroids situation: everyone is on this, and we know that's true; you have two years to get off the stuff or you're suspended.
I am encouraged by the potential of higher, better oversight due to this issue.

Letsroll1200

Pay the players or allow them to go straight to the NBA out of high school and a lot of the corruption would be out of the game. I think that the Feds did not get their cut of the money and now they are coming down on the basketball coaches. Go after the NCAA and the colleges that enable this type of stuff to happen.

ShadowHawg

This began during Nolan's day. I've tried to tell people for years he didn't quit recruiting, he just wasn't going to compromise his principles to get these kids.

HawgnCorona

I dont know about that Chico. I think that have become GOOD at what they do. But with all the "tools" they have at there disposal, it does look effortless...

discombobulationist

Burn MisterFalcon, burn. The fbi has done all the work for the ncaa, hope they bury all these programs and quickly.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pm
ISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

HamIAm

Question for the lawyers and legal minds out there.  Why does the allegation leave out the name of the school but leave no doubt who the school is? 

For example, Auburn is identified as University-1, a public research university in Alabama with enrollment of 28,000... Chuck Person is the associate head basketball coach at University-1...Person was a two-time All American and the all time leading scorer at University-1.

Only a moron can't figure out who University-1 is, so why not say it?