Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FBI sting results in arrests

Started by HoggyCat, September 26, 2017, 08:34:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 27, 2017, 06:07:49 pm
I don't eat word salad. Can someone please translate?
Kentucky cheats and always has.  (didn't read, btw)

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 27, 2017, 02:13:28 pm
Ferritor's daughter didn't write papers for players. She saw that Pate's paper was so bad it was going to get an f that she corrected so much of it that it was considered a different paper when she finished it. There were no other "papers". If there had been it would be known because that instance was the result of a administrative enema given at the hands of the ncaa looking for other things.

But even that isn't the same subject matter as recruiting violations, not just smaller in scale

The fbi sting has to do with inducing players by use of present and future monetary gains to choose your program over other opportunities offered by other programs, the vast majority of which are not paying RECRUITS. You only have to look at our results to check the veracity of such a claim.
Splitting hairs.
Does it really matter if she was writing papers, or correcting papers?
Whatever she was doing, she was the CHANCELLOR'S daughter...and you gotta admit that was a horrible look.

Hogs49ers

I am loving this, hilarious post I just read from an Arizona fan:

"We Arizona fans know there is no rock bottom. When you think it can't get any worse. When there is no way your team can blow a lead THAT big. Or have a team with THAT MUCH talent lose, it can.

Craziest part of yesterday was that at midnight, we found out Rawle Alkins broke his @#$#@$ foot yesterday. At Arizona, the bottom is actually below the Grand Canyon."

Another Arizona fan said: 

"Welcome Alabama and Miami to the club!"

SCREW Vandy!

navyhog24

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 27, 2017, 07:24:54 pm
Splitting hairs.
Does it really matter if she was writing papers, or correcting papers?
Whatever she was doing, she was the CHANCELLOR'S daughter...and you gotta admit that was a horrible look.

It was a singular act of an individual, not a way of regular business.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Ironhawg

I sure would like to see some real changes to college sports as a result of this mess, the NCAA particularly.  Personally I'd like to see any schools involved in this mess kicked out of their conferences and turned into instant independents.  I'd like to see the NCAA revamped and given subpoena power and real teeth to their enforcement actions.  I'd like to see somebody overseeing the NCAA so when they don't take action (North Carolina) they (NCAA) get a swift kick in the rear.

Adam Stokes

Not trying to defend the way the NCAA handles things, as we know they have their issues, but it probably sure helps when you can wiretap and seize laptops. I always wondered why the never used a couple 5-star plants to see who the highest bidders were.

LRHawg

The NCAA could have stopped all this along time ago. In my opinion they're aware and have looked the other way to keep the money flowing. I hope the FBI brings the whole damn thing crashing down.

hoglady

Quote from: Adam Stokes on September 28, 2017, 12:07:58 am
Not trying to defend the way the NCAA handles things, as we know they have their issues, but it probably sure helps when you can wiretap and seize laptops. I always wondered why the never used a couple 5-star plants to see who the highest bidders were.

Because the NCAA never has been interested in bringing down the Big Boys - not really.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HawgnCorona

Quote from: LRHawg on September 28, 2017, 12:25:37 am
The NCAA could have stopped all this along time ago. In my opinion they're aware and have looked the other way to keep the money flowing. I hope the FBI brings the whole damn thing crashing down.

I agree. I think they are/were complicit as well...I dont think the FBI  has any other choice but to lower the boom...

Pitino and Emmerts response to all this is BS.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

onebadrubi

Quote from: HawgnCorona on September 28, 2017, 12:44:17 am
I agree. I think they are/were complicit as well...I dont think the FBI  has any other choice but to lower the boom...

Pitino and Emmerts response to all this is BS.

Emmert is as much of the problem as anything.  I've said it 100 times, every where that guy has gone has had corruption.  He's the guy who fails at every stop of his career but keeps getting better chances.  He's known what's going on, he's had ample time to clean it up, but instead we've only watch the "the rich get richer" under him.  He's completely botched the following; auburn/newton, USC/bush, Miami/Shapiro, unc/fake classes, Louisville/brothel, and those are just the HUGE stories.  Guy is a joke and I've said it on this forum no less than 15 times.  There are some good articles at his failure at every stop, lsu UCOnn etc. 

onebadrubi

I read an article yesterday that was interesting.  Congress in 2002 tried to pass a law that allowed for criminal punishment and legal powers on collegiate/NCAA infractions.  The NCAA fought it and won, they didn't want it.  That screams they knew of their corruption

MrKnowItAll

CBS News: Pitino is Coach-2 in FBI court documents

https://247sports.com/Bolt/CBS-News-Pitino-is-Coach-2-in-FBI-court-documents-108112302

"Rick Pitino hasn't been charged with any crimes," Jacobson said, "but CBS News has learned he is the man referred to in documents as Coach-2, someone who may have had a role in providing payments to a highly prized recruit's family."

"Coach-2" is one of two coaches from "University-6" named in the case against Adidas executive James Gatto. "University-6" has been identified as Louisville, and the school is discussed in paying a top recruit, identified as 2017 247Sports five-star Brian "Tugs" Bowen, $100,000. Bowen signed with, and has enrolled at, Louisville.

At one point, according to the case, AAU coach Brad Augustine stated that Adidas would likely "fund at least a portion of the future payments" to a player because "no one swings a bigger [expletive] than [Coach-2]" at Adidas. He went on to add that "all [Coach-2 has to do] is pick up the phone and call somebody, [and say] these are my guys, they're taking care of us."

Later, Christian Dawkins said "he had spoken with Coach-2 about getting additional money for [Bowen's] family and informed Coach-2 that 'I need you to call Jim Gatto, [the defendant,] who's the head of everything' at the [Adidas] basketball program.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hoglady on September 28, 2017, 12:38:49 am
Because the NCAA never has been interested in bringing down the Big Boys - not really.

Right on the money.BINGO!

azhog10

Quote from: MrKnowItAll on September 28, 2017, 10:12:41 am
CBS News: Pitino is Coach-2 in FBI court documents

https://247sports.com/Bolt/CBS-News-Pitino-is-Coach-2-in-FBI-court-documents-108112302

"Rick Pitino hasn't been charged with any crimes," Jacobson said, "but CBS News has learned he is the man referred to in documents as Coach-2, someone who may have had a role in providing payments to a highly prized recruit's family."

"Coach-2" is one of two coaches from "University-6" named in the case against Adidas executive James Gatto. "University-6" has been identified as Louisville, and the school is discussed in paying a top recruit, identified as 2017 247Sports five-star Brian "Tugs" Bowen, $100,000. Bowen signed with, and has enrolled at, Louisville.

At one point, according to the case, AAU coach Brad Augustine stated that Adidas would likely "fund at least a portion of the future payments" to a player because "no one swings a bigger [expletive] than [Coach-2]" at Adidas. He went on to add that "all [Coach-2 has to do] is pick up the phone and call somebody, [and say] these are my guys, they're taking care of us."

Later, Christian Dawkins said "he had spoken with Coach-2 about getting additional money for [Bowen's] family and informed Coach-2 that 'I need you to call Jim Gatto, [the defendant,] who's the head of everything' at the [Adidas] basketball program.
Never met a more pathological liar and cheat than Pitino.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: LRHawg on September 28, 2017, 12:25:37 am

Worse yet, Adidas could have had a guy on the inside.  Know what job Kobie Baker had before he got his gig at Alabama in 2015?

NCAA Assistant Director of Enforcement for Basketball/Associate Director of Amateurism Certification
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

LRHawg

C.R.E.A.M

GET THE MONEY

Dollar Dollar Bill, Yall.

From College BB to politics, there's nothing human nature can't corrupt with its lust for money and power!

imtad16

Quote from: hoglady on September 28, 2017, 12:38:49 am

Well even if they wanted to, which they probably wouldn't have you're right, they couldn't have put their thumb on them with this type of evidence. To get this stuff you need the wire taps, video and audio recordings with informants and undercover agents. It's almost hard to believe they even got executives at Adidas in this thing. Last week it came out that Adidas has reached an all time high market share of 11% and then this week top executives caught absolutely red handed breaking the law to help their brand. What a roller coast week for them, so embarrassing.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 27, 2017, 10:27:55 pm
It was a singular act of an individual, not a way of regular business.
I wouldn't argue much with that, except for the person it was(the chancellor's daughter) made it look terrible.

But that defense has never worked. It didn't work for Arkansas in the 90s. (the Springdale CC thing was part of it too then I think)

UNC can make the same argument. it was a singular act of one professor setting up bogus classes to help athletes.

Louisville can and did make the same claim about the strippers. It was a 'rogue' assistant doing all this.

Whether it's true or not, it doesn't usually fly as a plausible excuse.

I, personally, think the UNC case is pretty brazen academic fraud and I couldn't care one whit if it was one person, or 20. They should be punished fairly hard.
Louisville, same thing. One assistant, or goes up the chain to Pitino, doesn't matter. It happened, and they should be punished.
Likewise, Arkansas no matter how/when/why it happened, they deserved some kind of punishment. I'm sure fans of other schools were probably wishing it was more severe.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Ironhawg on September 27, 2017, 11:19:05 pm
I sure would like to see some real changes to college sports as a result of this mess, the NCAA particularly.  Personally I'd like to see any schools involved in this mess kicked out of their conferences and turned into instant independents.  I'd like to see the NCAA revamped and given subpoena power and real teeth to their enforcement actions.  I'd like to see somebody overseeing the NCAA so when they don't take action (North Carolina) they (NCAA) get a swift kick in the rear.
Exactly.
Either give the NCAA real power, or disband the investigative arm.
Unless you have means to make people talk, it's pointless and you can't get to the bottom of cases all the time.
Just like Auburn and Scam Newton. All they had to do was deny, deny, deny and if no one squeals...case over.

NaturalStateReb

Auburn is now offering basketball season ticket holders full refunds for the 2018 season:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/27/16374128/auburn-refunds-mens-basketball-season-tickets-in-wake-of-fbi-investigation

Those guys down on the plains know it's about to get bad, really bad.  Bruce Pearl will be the next head coach that gets swallowed by this thing.  You can't tell me he didn't know.  They're big commit for 2018 already decommitted.

BTW, Louisville's entire 2018 class has decommitted.  Since none of them may end up being eligible, it may not matter.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 28, 2017, 02:18:58 pm
Auburn is now offering basketball season ticket holders full refunds for the 2018 season:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/27/16374128/auburn-refunds-mens-basketball-season-tickets-in-wake-of-fbi-investigation

Those guys down on the plains know it's about to get bad, really bad.  Bruce Pearl will be the next head coach that gets swallowed by this thing.  You can't tell me he didn't know.  They're big commit for 2018 already decommitted.

BTW, Louisville's entire 2018 class has decommitted.  Since none of them may end up being eligible, it may not matter.
Ah...again, back to Scam Newton, as I recall that didn't affect his eligibility.
Seems the player has to KNOW shenanigans are going on for it to affect his eligibility. Again, all he has to do is deny, deny, deny.
I hate Auburn. One of the dirtiest programs in NCAA history.
This is the only time you will ever hear me say I 'hate' somebody. I don't hate you if you beat me 50 times in a row. As long as I think it's honest, I can live with it.
If I don't think someone is playing by the rules, and routinely, then my opinion changes.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 28, 2017, 02:23:12 pm
Ah...again, back to Scam Newton, as I recall that didn't affect his eligibility.
Seems the player has to KNOW shenanigans are going on for it to affect his eligibility. Again, all he has to do is deny, deny, deny.
I hate Auburn. One of the dirtiest programs in NCAA history.

This isn't like Scam Newton.  The FBI has the players moms on recordings accepting $10,000 and $7,500.  No one could ever get the solid goods on Newton's old man.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 28, 2017, 02:14:13 pm
I wouldn't argue much with that, except for the person it was(the chancellor's daughter) made it look terrible.

But that defense has never worked. It didn't work for Arkansas in the 90s. (the Springdale CC thing was part of it too then I think)

UNC can make the same argument. it was a singular act of one professor setting up bogus classes to help athletes.

Louisville can and did make the same claim about the strippers. It was a 'rogue' assistant doing all this.

Whether it's true or not, it doesn't usually fly as a plausible excuse.

I, personally, think the UNC case is pretty brazen academic fraud and I couldn't care one whit if it was one person, or 20. They should be punished fairly hard.
Louisville, same thing. One assistant, or goes up the chain to Pitino, doesn't matter. It happened, and they should be punished.
Likewise, Arkansas no matter how/when/why it happened, they deserved some kind of punishment. I'm sure fans of other schools were probably wishing it was more severe.

Something worked because Adebayo was awarded additional eligibility because our program was so "dirty".

Pate lost his eligibility as a result, but that would be the only punishment after the original findings were reviewed. Pretty remarkable given the scope of the search and that the reason for the letter of inquiry was found to be without merit completely after the appeal.

There are idiots that give players money today. It's an infraction of course but it's not school sponsored either. It's weirdos that seek out access to kids because they have a sort of celebrity. That happens at the smallest of schools if you can imagine. The NCAA knows this and realize it's not the kind of thing that can actually be stopped but they can't say it's ok either.

Point being that trying to equivocate all infractions as cheating is a futile action given the ncaa has tiers for seriousness of charges in their own guidelines.

Grizzlyfan

Does anyone else find it amazing that a guy named Marty Blazer, a Pittsburg PA financial adviser, is the one who turned evidence and went undercover to blow the lid off this basketball thing?  And a guy named Chuck Blazer is the guy who was the informant that blew up FIFA and most of organized soccer.

311Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 28, 2017, 02:42:01 pm
Does anyone else find it amazing that a guy named Marty Blazer, a Pittsburg PA financial adviser, is the one who turned evidence and went undercover to blow the lid off this basketball thing?  And a guy named Chuck Blazer is the guy who was the informant that blew up FIFA and most of organized soccer.

Mazer, phazer, lazer, and all kinda azer's