Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FBI sting results in arrests

Started by HoggyCat, September 26, 2017, 08:34:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HamIAm

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 26, 2017, 09:10:46 pm
No Google, what's a Pave Pat Blue? Lol
That one I had to google.   Ok, Massive Ordinance Aerial Blast not multiple ordinance aerial bomb

Hogs49ers

What is sickening to me in that Coach Cal already did enough of this exact type of cheating early on at Kentucky and got away with it, and got to the point where he does not need to do it anymore and take that risk.  Now the program is built up, and the top players will go there without getting paid or "incentives" bc they think the prospect of getting to the NBA is incentive enough (annoying that they actually think that UK and Coach Cal have anything to do with them getting to the NBA).  Hopefully some of these people that roll over, can think back 5-10 years ago and roll over on Kentucky because there is absolutely 0% chance that they have been clean all this time.
SCREW Vandy!

farfromgroovins

Quote from: navyhog24 on September 26, 2017, 05:50:54 pm
@DarrenHeitner
Own law firm @HEITNERLEGAL

Sources: Basketball agency ASM Sports was raided today. FBI had warrant, took Andy Miller's computer.

His agency has guys who played for some of the biggest coaches in college basketball Duke, Villanova, North Carolina, Kentucky... ....

Welcome to the 2018 NCAA Final Four where we have newcomers;
North Carolina.......Charlotte....the 49ers....not the Tar Heels
And no surprise a Kentucky team.....the Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky
The Arizona...cough....cough....State Sun Devils
And last but definitely not least, from Miami, FL.....The one....the only....Florida International University Golden Panters

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: farfromgroovins on September 27, 2017, 12:33:39 am
Welcome to the 2018 NCAA Final Four where we have newcomers;
North Carolina.......Charlotte....the 49ers....not the Tar Heels
And no surprise a Kentucky team.....the Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky
The Arizona...cough....cough....State Sun Devils
And last but definitely not least, from Miami, FL.....The one....the only....Florida International University Golden Panters

Haha Yea but WKU is probably dirty.  Their headcoach is stansbury and they pulled in a 5* recently.

HognitiveDissonance

The NCAA has no real power.
They can't make anyone talk. They have no subpoena power, and no ability to put someone under oath. Much less wiretap someone.
It has to be somewhat embarrassing to them to see the FBI do their investigating for them, but to be fair they don't have the tools at their disposal as the Feds.

Even after saying all that, this case blew open the same way they all do: a disgruntled or cornered witness starts talking. Someone wanting to make a deal about an unrelated case opened the eyes of the FBI into basketball and fraud. Then they can use their coercive tools to dig deeper. But it's basically the same way the NCAA can make a case, if someone with a grudge wants to squeal. Like, Miami football: a disgruntled former top booster Nevin Shapiro feels like he's being ostracized by the school so he gets mad and starts squealing. That's what brought Miami down.

HognitiveDissonance

College basketball is probably even dirtier than college football, because one star player can greatly improve a team. Only five can play at a time.

HognitiveDissonance

Pitino's statement on being surprised by these allegations reminds me of the Officer Renault in Casablanca: "I'm shocked there is gambling going on at this establishment."

Let's see, the guy who bangs a blonde on a restaurant table and then offers to pay for an abortion.
The guy whose program is already on probation for hiring strippers

He used to be respected widely, now he's just a sleazeball. It's a long fall from grace. No one believes him anymore.

HognitiveDissonance

Speaking of Kentucky (and Monk) I'd love to see them brought down as much as anyone, but I would also tread lightly when talking about the Monk case. While I generally believe the UA coaches are honest, I also still believe and have always said I thought the Monks' move to Bentonville from way over in Lepanto was dubious at best. Somebody was doing something for them. It just never made any sense to me. I always suspected something improper was going on.

Let those sleeping dogs lie.

HognitiveDissonance

Why does Auburn always seem to be in the middle of sleazy recruiting stories?

It reminds me of the 'debates' from 2010 when Oxbaker and a few other Auburn faithful would vehemently defend Aubie and Scam Newton, when everyone with a brain knew the Newton clan had been bought and paid. 'But...but...it was the Miss St asst coach who was caught making the offer...'. Yea, they turned down Miss St's offer and chose to play for free at Auburn. ha ha ha ha ha

Auburn and Texas A&M: two of the historically dirtiest programs in NCAA history. I have a theory on that. Any place where you have a 'big brother' there is much more pressure to keep up with the Joneses. Auburn: big brother Alabama. Texas A&M: big brother Texas. A&M has been clean lately but historically not clean.

HognitiveDissonance

If the NCAA doesn't hit UNC with significant punishments, then they may as well disband and let others with real power like the Feds do all the dirty work.

There was clear academic fraud (fake classes) at UNC. No one even disputes that. The fact that this case has dragged on for so long makes one wonder if they're almost looking for ways to not hit UNC very hard.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: HamIAm on September 26, 2017, 08:19:59 pm

Mother Of All Bombs  or Massive Ordinance Air Bomb - the most powerful non-nuclear bomb in the US arsenal

Yep and the FBI dropped one today...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 26, 2017, 03:46:12 pm
Pitino and Jurich should both be gone. 

I don't think death penalty.  Just take their scholarship count down to 5 for a couple of seasons and then give them 2-3 back a year till they get back to 13 in about 2024-25 and ban them from the NCAAT for 4-5 seasons starting this season.
Hitting a school with a death penalty in college basketball would = banning NCAA play for five seasons.
In college hoops, especially at a school like Louisville, not being able to play in the NCAAs for a while would be devastating.
The NCAA Tournament is everything in college basketball.
Making March Madness = Relevance.
No March Madness = Irrelevant

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Karma on September 26, 2017, 02:38:33 pm
If you presume that Arkansas does not cheat on any significant scale (which I believe is correct), it is nearly impossible to compete at the very highest levels when there is systematic payment of players of tens of thousands of dollars.
I like the choice of words "significant scale"

Arkansas has had its share of spats with the NCAA:
Ted Harrod summer 'jobs'
Kim Ferritor writing papers for basketball players
Springdale CC summer 'jobs' for football and basketball players
Track assistant busted for giving stuff to Tyson Gay

I could go on.

I think there are $100 handshakes and sundry things that would technically be considered improper going on pretty much everywhere.
But I think one can say, even considering we're all Hog homers, that the UA generally has never been caught in the shadiest pay-for-play underbelly of college sports. The real serious, Scam Newton type recruiting stories.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 27, 2017, 01:38:24 am

Ted Harrod summer 'jobs'

I could go on.

I think there are $100 handshakes and sundry things that would technically be considered improper going on pretty much everywhere.
But I think one can say, even considering we're all Hog homers, that the UA generally has never been caught in the shadiest pay-for-play underbelly of college sports. The real serious, Scam Newton type recruiting stories.

Peanuts! Compared the latest news...None of the examples given involved bribery. If taking care of your own is improper, lets have at it then...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: parallaxpig on September 26, 2017, 06:08:53 pm
There are some familiar names on here with a history of cheating. Maybe death penalty in order to actually begin to clean college sports up.

There was a death penalty in football. It didn't clean up that sport. Cheaters gonna cheat. The way to clean it up IMHO is to NOT allow college coaches to recruit anywhere expect on high school campuses during school time or during the high school games only. ALL other recruiting and summer league/games off limits and severe penalties if caught. Also NO college can receive any equipment, uniforms or have contract with a specific company that provides them free. Make them buy everything. Also NO coach is allowed to have a contract that pays them and requires players to use their shoe, uniform or apparel from that company.  All schools must provide any school adorned apparel/uniform related to their sport for free to players without any strings attached.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 27, 2017, 06:40:57 am
There was a death penalty in football. It didn't clean up that sport. Cheaters gonna cheat. The way to clean it up IMHO is to NOT allow college coaches to recruit anywhere expect on high school campuses during school time or during the high school games only. ALL other recruiting and summer league/games off limits and severe penalties if caught. Also NO college can receive any equipment, uniforms or have contract with a specific company that provides them free. Make them buy everything. Also NO coach is allowed to have a contract that pays them and requires players to use their shoe, uniform or apparel from that company.  All schools must provide any school adorned apparel/uniform related to their sport for free to players without any strings attached.
I agree. If you really want to clean it up then there has to be drastic changes, probably a good bit deeper than even this. In my naievity, I am shocked a huge company like Adidas would be doing things like this. Just goes to show that the money aspect of college sports is getting out of hand

onebadrubi

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 27, 2017, 01:11:18 am
Why does Auburn always seem to be in the middle of sleazy recruiting stories?

It reminds me of the 'debates' from 2010 when Oxbaker and a few other Auburn faithful would vehemently defend Aubie and Scam Newton, when everyone with a brain knew the Newton clan had been bought and paid. 'But...but...it was the Miss St asst coach who was caught making the offer...'. Yea, they turned down Miss St's offer and chose to play for free at Auburn. ha ha ha ha ha

Auburn and Texas A&M: two of the historically dirtiest programs in NCAA history. I have a theory on that. Any place where you have a 'big brother' there is much more pressure to keep up with the Joneses. Auburn: big brother Alabama. Texas A&M: big brother Texas. A&M has been clean lately but historically not clean.

The Leo Lewis. Was supposedly has info regarding A&M and a player supposedly told by A&M they will double any other offer made to the recruit. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 27, 2017, 01:19:17 am
Hitting a school with a death penalty in college basketball would = banning NCAA play for five seasons.
In college hoops, especially at a school like Louisville, not being able to play in the NCAAs for a while would be devastating.
The NCAA Tournament is everything in college basketball.
Making March Madness = Relevance.
No March Madness = Irrelevant

I agree.  It is why i suggested punishment nearly akin to a death penalty but still allowing them to put a product out.   Severely cripple them for a decade or more. 

I also agree with you on UNC. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 27, 2017, 01:05:50 am
Speaking of Kentucky (and Monk) I'd love to see them brought down as much as anyone, but I would also tread lightly when talking about the Monk case. While I generally believe the UA coaches are honest, I also still believe and have always said I thought the Monks' move to Bentonville from way over in Lepanto was dubious at best. Somebody was doing something for them. It just never made any sense to me. I always suspected something improper was going on.

Let those sleeping dogs lie.
Monk's move had more to do with the Bentonville schools than the U of A and I can guarantee you that.

rhog1

PonderinHog

Quote from: 311Hog on September 26, 2017, 12:17:17 pm

clever new strategy.  Pay the players families, through assistants and underlings of the assistants without the head coaches "knowing" about it.  Just magic they get the recruit amirite.  Because oversight is hard, and running down all these financial leads takes quiet a bit of manpower and time.
It's called plausible deniability...

HamIAm

jjdlc

Going to be interesting to watch recruiting for the next few years.  With the FBI involved some of the money being handed around will dry up till this blows over.

HamIAm

Ok, so Pitino might hold on for 10 more days.
Jurich for 30 days

Unless they agreed to resign seeing how they will probably be fired.

QuoteIf the University of Louisville wants to fire men's basketball coach Rick Pitino, it must first give Pitino at least 10 days' written notice of its reasons for doing so and afford Pitino an opportunity to "present evidence," according to Pitino's contract running through 2026.

And only the board of the U of L Athletics Association – or a committee of that board – can make the decision, according to the contract.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36464682/university-of-louisville-would-have-give-pitino-notice-chance-to-present-evidence-before-firing

Cambridge Hog

How incompetent does the NCAA look as a result of this?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on September 27, 2017, 11:13:49 am

We've known they were majorly incompetent.  Media just didn't want to talk about it. 

navyhog24

Auburn to offer refunds for basketball season tickets

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn will soon offer full refunds for season-ticket holders if they wish to return their men's basketball tickets to the athletics department. An official announcement is expected today, according to the Auburn ticket office. The news comes in the wake of associate head coach Chuck Person's arrest Tuesday on federal charges of bribery and corruption as a result of a of a joint investigation by the FBI and U.S. Attorney's office into the criminal influence of money on NCAA coaches and student-athletes. Auburn announced Monday it had sold out season tickets for a fourth straight season under coach Bruce Pearl. The assistant coach, who Auburn suspended shortly after being arrested, was ordered to appear in the Southern New York district court on Oct. 10 at 9 a.m. to answer to the pending charges after waiving a preliminary hearing. The assistant coach's initial court appearance came before Judge Wallace Capel, Jr.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-to-offer-refunds-for-basketball-season-tickets-in-wake-of-108067742

Cambridge Hog

How funny would it be if they were found complicit with this behavior?

Maybe this makes them take a real stance against the cheating. Ole Miss prob wondering if the hammer just got bigger.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on September 27, 2017, 11:13:49 am

Corrupt.

They aren't incompetent.

I wonder about aau guys like Crawford now. Just how dirty were guys like this?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 27, 2017, 12:21:27 am
What is sickening to me in that Coach Cal already did enough of this exact type of cheating early on at Kentucky and got away with it, and got to the point where he does not need to do it anymore and take that risk.  Now the program is built up, and the top players will go there without getting paid or "incentives" bc they think the prospect of getting to the NBA is incentive enough (annoying that they actually think that UK and Coach Cal have anything to do with them getting to the NBA).  Hopefully some of these people that roll over, can think back 5-10 years ago and roll over on Kentucky because there is absolutely 0% chance that they have been clean all this time.
LMFAO, damn that's nieve.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

navyhog24

Sources: Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation

Paul

rhog1

https://twitter.com/DarrenHeitner/status/913095940134903815
Sources: Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation

Looks like the scandal is starting to reach Nike now.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 27, 2017, 12:21:27 am

Who did Coach Cal pay in his first years at Kentucky, I have never seen an article on that?  This is the FBI and not the NCAA, they can require people to testify.  If Cal comes out clean, maybe everyone can stop calling him a cheater.  You know the FBI wants the biggest fish!
SEC!

Kevin

wonder when Miami, will do something with their staff.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 27, 2017, 01:38:24 am

Ted Harrod summer 'jobs'

I could go on.

Ferritor's daughter didn't write papers for players. She saw that Pate's paper was so bad it was going to get an f that she corrected so much of it that it was considered a different paper when she finished it. There were no other "papers". If there had been it would be known because that instance was the result of a administrative enema given at the hands of the ncaa looking for other things.

But even that isn't the same subject matter as recruiting violations, not just smaller in scale

The fbi sting has to do with inducing players by use of present and future monetary gains to choose your program over other opportunities offered by other programs, the vast majority of which are not paying RECRUITS. You only have to look at our results to check the veracity of such a claim.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MountieDawg on September 27, 2017, 01:56:41 pm
Who did Coach Cal pay in his first years at Kentucky, I have never seen an article on that?  This is the FBI and not the NCAA, they can require people to testify.  If Cal comes out clean, maybe everyone can stop calling him a cheater.  You know the FBI wants the biggest fish!

Shut up

It is out there now. Top players are not turning down sums in excess of $100k to play at Kentucky! Lol

Chris Mills made Kentucky pay 30 years ago. But you have to believe that kids and their families are turning down these sums for the mere honor of playing for Kentucky now?

Especially since you have previously claimed that kids choose to play for Cal because of the hope it will make them more money as a pro. Now you want to claim that they are turning down REAL money NOW for the opportunity to maybe make more money later.

Your logic is akin to claiming Jimmie Hoffa lives because no one can find his body.

MountieDawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 27, 2017, 02:28:22 pm
Shut up

It is out there now. Top players are not turning down sums in excess of $100k to play at Kentucky! Lol

Chris Mills made Kentucky pay 30 years ago. But you have to believe that kids and their families are turning down these sums for the mere honor of playing for Kentucky now?

Especially since you have previously claimed that kids choose to play for Cal because of the hope it will make them more money as a pro. Now you want to claim that they are turning down REAL money NOW for the opportunity to maybe make more money later.

Your logic is akin to claiming Jimmie Hoffa lives because no one can find his body.

You are correct on Chris Mills getting $1,000 when Eddie Sutton was the coach... Seems like he coached a couple other places too.  It was said Cal did this cheating in his early years at Kentucky... He didnt mention Eddie Sutton.   So if Cal had to cheat with the Top class then did Coach K have to cheat???

Heck gets dont just want to play there... Here they are going nuts just to get in line to camp out for Big Blue Madness tickets.  https://twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/912984558986985472?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email&iid=1033549f6a4a43018f8bdea5a06c342a&uid=40300984&nid=244+276893704
SEC!

Inhogswetrust

September 27, 2017, 02:51:40 pm #194 Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:23:13 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: azhog10 on September 27, 2017, 08:31:16 am
Monk's move had more to do with the Bentonville schools than the U of A and I can guarantee you that.

I gotta admit. IF I lived in Lepanto I'd move the first chance I get.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

navyhog24

From CollegeHoopNews:

From a source. Add South Carolina and Miami to the list of teams to be hit with charges. #NCAA

Razorod

Quote from: navyhog24 on September 27, 2017, 04:28:36 pm
From CollegeHoopNews:

From a source. Add South Carolina and Miami to the list of teams to be hit with charges. #NCAA
Well, Lamont Evans was an assistant for Frank Martin before he went to Ok State.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

GoshenHog

Quote from: MountieDawg on September 27, 2017, 01:56:41 pm
If Cal comes out clean, maybe everyone can stop calling him a cheater.

I'll stop calling him a cheater when he gets his vacated Final Fours back.

RebelliousHog

They keep talking about assistants taking the fall. Pearl didn't know what his assistant was doing?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MountieDawg on September 27, 2017, 02:32:03 pm
You are correct on Chris Mills getting $1,000 when Eddie Sutton was the coach... Seems like he coached a couple other places too.  It was said Cal did this cheating in his early years at Kentucky... He didnt mention Eddie Sutton.   So if Cal had to cheat with the Top class then did Coach K have to cheat???

Heck gets dont just want to play there... Here they are going nuts just to get in line to camp out for Big Blue Madness tickets.  https://twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/912984558986985472?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email&iid=1033549f6a4a43018f8bdea5a06c342a&uid=40300984&nid=244+276893704

I don't eat word salad. Can someone please translate?