Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FBI sting results in arrests

Started by HoggyCat, September 26, 2017, 08:34:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan701

This certainly sheds a whole new light on the question of why we are consistently out-recruited for five-star talent.  I'd long thought maybe MA just wasn't a great recruiter like, say, Bruce Pearl.  Boy, was I naïve!  Our basketball team has paid a price in lost recruits for being clean.  I can't say that I don't relish the payback that's coming to the cheaters.

rhog1

http://scout.com/college/louisville/Board/The-Yum-103990
If you want a good read check out the Louisville forum. So many of their fans think they are going to get the death penalty. They don't see Pitino surviving the week there. Also a lot of their fans think they deserve to be hammered for this.

azhog10

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 26, 2017, 03:04:21 pm
Pay the players or allow them to go straight to the NBA out of high school and a lot of the corruption would be out of the game. I think that the Feds did not get their cut of the money and now they are coming down on the basketball coaches. Go after the NCAA and the colleges that enable this type of stuff to happen.
Allow them to go straight out and it would help to some level. But you are crazy if you think paying athletes a set wage (across the board everywhere) will take away boosters willing to give kids a bit "extra" if they attend their university.

King Kong

Quote from: rhog1 on September 26, 2017, 03:37:58 pm
If you want a good read check out the Louisville forum. So many of their fans think they are going to get the death penalty. They don't see Pitino surviving the week there. Also a lot of their fans think they deserve to be hammered for this.

Yeah, unlike the NCAA the FBI has he power to connect all the dots. Will make it pretty cut and dry for the NCAA when they hand down there penalties

azhog10

Watching ESPN this will get very interesting over the coming months.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhog1 on September 26, 2017, 03:37:58 pm

Pitino and Jurich should both be gone. 

I don't think death penalty.  Just take their scholarship count down to 5 for a couple of seasons and then give them 2-3 back a year till they get back to 13 in about 2024-25 and ban them from the NCAAT for 4-5 seasons starting this season.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Reading more into it and you have basically two separate investigations in a sense. You have coaches who are steering their athletes to specific agents and are accepting basically a bounty for getting said athlete to sign with that agent. Then you have a show company that is giving money to coaches/schools to pay a top recruits to come to their sponsored schools in hopes of getting that athlete to sign with their shoe company out of college.

I made the comment about Reggie and the Adidas folks being heavily involved when he went to Italy. This is exactly what I am talking about. Surprised to see it come to light and obviously shocked the FBI was wiretapping people and investigating this.

rhog1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 26, 2017, 03:46:12 pm

I don't think death penalty.  Just take their scholarship count down to 5 for a couple of seasons and then give them 2-3 back a year till they get back to 13 in about 2024-25 and ban them from the NCAAT for 4-5 seasons starting this season.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs-give-louisville-basketball-death-sentence-bombshell-allegations-prove-correct-181930063.html
Saw this on the Louisville forum Forde is already calling for Pitino and Jurich to be fired and Louisville to get the death penalty.

chiefhawg

Kevin McPherson Retweeted
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein  3h3 hours ago
More
Louisville has received official notice that it is under FBI investigation, per release.

Inhogswetrust

Good thing I don't own any Adidas stock!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhog1 on September 26, 2017, 03:56:15 pm
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs-give-louisville-basketball-death-sentence-bombshell-allegations-prove-correct-181930063.html
Saw this on the Louisville forum Forde is already calling for Pitino and Jurich to be fired and Louisville to get the death penalty.

Both should have already been fired if Louisville had not have completely sold out to win.  Part of it is ego and having the pressure of sharing the state's spotlight with UK.  It's why AU cheats.  They hate Forde there too. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rzrbackramsfan

https://twitter.com/JasonRileyWDRB?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

This guy is really good to follow on the FBI investigation.  He's revealing some very explosive information.  Apparently theres some very big news that will come out tomorrow. 

rzrbackramsfan

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20824193/ncaa-basketball-coaches-10-charged-fraud-corruption

The FBI conducted an elaborate undercover operation, starting in 2015, and managed to keep it a secret. The NCAA wasn't made aware of the investigation until Tuesday morning. Using wiretaps, surveillance video and cooperating witnesses, the FBI was able to document coaches accepting bribes to steer their players toward certain financial advisers and/or business managers. In other cases, high-ranking Adidas employees worked with others to pay prospective student-athletes' families to ensure the player signed with an Adidas-sponsored school and then signed with Adidas once he turned pro, the complaint alleges.

FBI assistant director Bill Sweeney had a warning Tuesday for other coaches who might be involved in similar schemes, saying: "We have your playbook. Our investigation is ongoing. We are conducting additional interviews as we speak." The FBI and U.S. Attorney's office said they have established a hotline for information related to the investigation.

According to the complaint, Gatto, Code, Dawkins and Sood worked together to funnel $100,000 to the player's family in early June, and Dawkins told the others that he did so at the request of a Louisville coach. "Player-10," who is described in the complaint as a top recruit, is believed to be Brian Bowen, a five-star guard/forward who signed with Louisville on June 5. The FBI said telephone records show Gatto spoke directly with the unnamed coach multiple times in the days before the player publicly committed to play for the Cardinals.

The complaint said another high school player was paid to sign with the Cardinals, and Dawkins paid the money by funneling it through Augustine.

The FBI alleged Gatto, Code, Dawkins and Augustine attempted to broker a deal to send another high school player to Miami, an Adidas-sponsored school, for $150,000. According to the complaint, "the payments from [Adidas] to Player-12 were allegedly requested specifically by a coach at [Miami] (Coach-3), who allegedly called Gatto directly and who, according to Dawkins, Code, and Augustine, 'knows everything' and, in particular, 'knows something's gotta happen for' Player-12 to commit to attending University-7."

rzrbackramsfan

I can't pull in the tweet but Reggie Perry tweeted: Going to Starkvegas Friday!!

Going to get their stories straight in person? 

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

MrKnowItAll

Fall of the House of Cards: Federal allegations a tipping point for U of L

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36458593/crawford-fall-of-the-house-of-cards-federal-allegations-a-tipping-point-for-u-of-l

Think about this. The NCAA announced sanctions for the prostitutes-for-recruits scandal on June 15, 2017. Just a month earlier, if the federal complaint is accurate – and part of the basis for the allegation includes telephone conversations intercepted through a cell phone wiretap warrant – there was a "request of at least one coach from University-6 [and other defendants] . . . to funnel $100,000 (payable in four installments) from Company-1 to the family of Player-10."

In a conversation with another defendant in the case and an undercover agent, adidas representative Merl Code said that, "you guys are being introduced to . . . how stuff happens with kids and getting into particular schools and so this is kind of one of those instances where we need to step up and help one of our flagship schools, you know, secure a five-star caliber kid . . . and that's an [Company-1] sponsored school."
Code went on to explain that it wasn't adidas funneling money to a player, it was the shoe company "engaging in a monetary relationship with a business manager, and whatever he decides to do with it, that's up to him and the family."

If true, these activities are not only unethical and possibly illegal, but also negligent and inexcusably reckless on the part of anyone associated with U of L, given the trouble not just the program, but the university itself, was already in.

And the people involved were well aware of that trouble.

In a meeting in a Las Vegas hotel room on July 27 – a meeting in which video recorders and microphones were placed by federal investigators – a discussion ensued on getting Simmons' family payment to attend Louisville. Noting that the school already was in trouble with the NCAA, a person identified as being an assistant coach at U of L said, "we gotta be very low key."

Now, understand, this stuff wasn't primarily about getting kids to go to certain schools. It was about getting elite players to sign with the right shoe company when they went on to the NBA. But to make the scheme work, these guys needed some coaches at universities to play ball.

If a coach (or two) at U of L was involved in this kind of thing, including, as the federal complaint alleges, "making false certifications to the university," that's a tipping point.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: discombobulationist on September 26, 2017, 03:11:24 pm
Burn MisterFalcon, burn. The fbi has done all the work for the ncaa, hope they bury all these programs and quickly.

Well that old saying comes to mind in this case  i hope is not true. "You can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink." Who knows why? Maybe they are complicit, too.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

azhog10

ASM Sports Agency and Andy Miller specifically was raided. Took his laptop. Andy has been an agent for a number of hoop players but has signed majority to Adidas deals. Love to see what's on that lap top.

sickboy

Holy Mary. This is a nuclear bomb, huh?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: azhog10 on September 26, 2017, 05:13:15 pm
ASM Sports Agency and Andy Miller specifically was raided. Took his laptop. Andy has been an agent for a number of hoop players but has signed majority to Adidas deals. Love to see what's on that lap top.

When they start taking you stuff like lap tops, PCs they have some serious dirt especially that hard drive you may have tried to scrub clean of incriminating evidence.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: azhog10 on September 26, 2017, 05:13:15 pm

azhog10

Pitino will be fired tomorrow morning. I should say it will be announced. Wouldn't be surprised if he's already been told.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 26, 2017, 04:00:03 pm
Good thing I don't own any Adidas stock!

LOL!! This how their strategist thought to keep up with that other over priced, cheating shoe company, NIKE!

navyhog24

HawgnCorona

HawgnCorona

Quote from: navyhog24 on September 26, 2017, 05:30:47 pm

Now no how Auburn how got its players since Pearlie came back on the scene...Not that he did anything spectacular with them.

navyhog24

@DarrenHeitner
Own law firm @HEITNERLEGAL

Sources: Basketball agency ASM Sports was raided today. FBI had warrant, took Andy Miller's computer.

His agency has guys who played for some of the biggest coaches in college basketball Duke, Villanova, North Carolina, Kentucky... ....

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: navyhog24 on September 26, 2017, 05:50:54 pm
@DarrenHeitner
Own law firm @HEITNERLEGAL

Sources: Basketball agency ASM Sports was raided today. FBI had warrant, took Andy Miller's computer.

His agency has guys who played for some of the biggest coaches in college basketball Duke, Villanova, North Carolina, Kentucky... ....

My mouth is literally watering.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 26, 2017, 03:46:12 pm

There are some familiar names on here with a history of cheating. Maybe death penalty in order to actually begin to clean college sports up.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

navyhog24

hoglady

Just wait til the ones arrested start talking to help save their hide.
The FBI is no joke - unlike the NCAA.
This will spread far and wide before it's finished.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: parallaxpig on September 26, 2017, 06:08:53 pm
There are some familiar names on here with a history of cheating. Maybe death penalty in order to actually begin to clean college sports up.

Maybe so.  All of these athletic programs have had major cheating scandals.   Some football but still.  Wish while they were at it go back and put the hammer to Penn St because Joe Pa knew. College sports badly needs to be put into perspective.

chiefhawg

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 26, 2017, 04:37:43 pm
I can't pull in the tweet but Reggie Perry tweeted: Going to Starkvegas Friday!!

Going to get their stories straight in person? 
When Perry committed to MsState there was a tweet with a money bags emoji. It was re tweeted by TJ Cleveland. I was like wow something must have really upset TJ.  Maybe, just maybe I now know what it was.

theFlyingHog

rzrbackramsfan

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: chiefhawg on September 26, 2017, 06:52:32 pm
When Perry committed to MsState there was a tweet with a money bags emoji. It was re tweeted by TJ Cleveland. I was like wow something must have really upset TJ.  Maybe, just maybe I now know what it was.

We're both tweets deleted?

sickboy

RealHog

Quote from: chiefhawg on September 26, 2017, 06:52:32 pm

Yup, this 100%. Feel bad for this staff with so many cheaters out there. It's hard to recruit against Adidas bags of cash.

TrueBlue

Miami is now implicated. Now THERE is a surprise. They should have nailed Miami with the Shapiro mess. Some schools are just CHEATS and they know no other way to try and win. 

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/university-of-miami-basketball-involved-in-ncaa-adidas-corruption-probe-9701650

bulldog04

I'm sure something like this happened with Monk.

hoglady

Quote from: RealHog on September 26, 2017, 07:40:54 pm
Yup, this 100%. Feel bad for this staff with so many cheaters out there. It's hard to recruit against Adidas bags of cash.

Don't kid yourself - I'm sure there are plenty of bags of Nike and Under Armor cash, too.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hoglady on September 26, 2017, 07:57:22 pm
Don't kid yourself - I'm sure there are plenty of bags of Nike and Under Armor cash, too.

Arizona is a Nike school and they had a coach arrested today. I would be surprised if it ends up being limited to one or a couple of sports apparel companies.

East TN HAWG

I agree.  The guy did not leave Nike one day, and enter the game with Addias without knowing "the rules.". Also, these shoe companies had to know what was happening.  How does someone funnel 100k to kid, and the company not account for it?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: bulldog04 on September 26, 2017, 07:51:17 pm
I'm sure something like this happened with Monk.
C'mon, let's not slander these young men!

Oh wait nevermind  ;)

HamIAm

Quote from: HawgnCorona on September 26, 2017, 05:31:30 pm
MOAB?

Mother Of All Bombs  or Massive Ordinance Air Bomb - the most powerful non-nuclear bomb in the US arsenal

hobhog

NCAA reaction will be interesting. FBI just laying everything in their laps. People are going to jail. AAU will be scrutinized and I think possibly destroyed. This could have repercussions for years....

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HamIAm on September 26, 2017, 08:19:59 pm

Mother Of All Bombs  or Massive Ordinance Air Bomb - the most powerful non-nuclear bomb in the US arsenal
No Google, what's a Pave Pat Blue? Lol

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hobhog on September 26, 2017, 09:09:21 pm
NCAA reaction will be interesting. FBI just laying everything in their laps. People are going to jail. AAU will be scrutinized and I think possibly destroyed. This could have repercussions for years....
It's going to be amazing. I have much more faith in the FBI to burn ish down than the NCAA

wachhog

September 26, 2017, 09:34:09 pm #149 Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:46:33 pm by wachhog
This.^^^
When a hundred grand or more is  in play, you know those one and donee are not flocking  to Kentucky 'cause Cal is so handsome.