Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tommy Tuberville speaks to the Little Rock Touchdown Club.

Started by SwazyHog, September 18, 2017, 10:26:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SwazyHog

"I felt like I owed it to the state. They let me come in and transfer here to Arkansas, and I felt like it wouldn't be fair after one year to just up and leave."

"This is your Public Service Announcement  for 2010: Remember, No One's Buckass Snitshit Crazier Than Arkansas Fans."

PORKULATOR

Don't go to a steak house with him. He'll go to bathroom and stick you with the check.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

GoHogs1091

What might of been regarding Tuberville.

If Coach Broyles had been allowed to hire Tuberville, then we wouldn't have had the 10 years of drama with Nutt.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Sho Nuff

Is it because he was so ultra successful at TTU and Cincy?

Redhogs

Quote from: PORKULATOR on September 18, 2017, 10:37:51 pm
Don't go to a steak house with him. He'll go to bathroom and stick you with the check.
Yep, not his finest moment. Has been arrogant since he coached at AU.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

geauxhawgs

He is 100% on point and in tune with all of his comments regarding War Memorial Stadium & Little Rock. Tommy understands the entire state unlike most who comment, including JL & CBB. South Arkansas, Central Arkansas & the Delta has the best football players and athletes in the state, period. We're doing a poor job of putting them in a position to excel, develop, and WANT to become great for the Razorbacks. It's pretty well documented over the history of Razorback football, that when the state isn't connected, we're not very good. The fact of the matter is, Fayetteville is still a world away from the rest of this state and from the moment we stopped playing meaningful games in LR on a consistent basis you started seeing a loss of interest from high school athletes around the state. Not a good thing and very difficult to rebound from. This state needs to think long and hard about what is in the best interest for the people, not the athletic program. With that said, LR and War Memorial need to get there act together, stop loafing and start getting on top of things at a much quicker rate. WM stadium needs MAJOR upgrades!

The Hawg Marshal

bphi11ips

Quote from: geauxhawgs on September 19, 2017, 09:15:31 am
He is 100% on point and in tune with all of his comments regarding War Memorial Stadium & Little Rock. Tommy understands the entire state unlike most who comment, including JL & CBB. South Arkansas, Central Arkansas & the Delta has the best football players and athletes in the state, period. We're doing a poor job of putting them in a position to excel, develop, and WANT to become great for the Razorbacks. It's pretty well documented over the history of Razorback football, that when the state isn't connected, we're not very good. The fact of the matter is, Fayetteville is still a world away from the rest of this state and from the moment we stopped playing meaningful games in LR on a consistent basis you started seeing a loss of interest from high school athletes around the state. Not a good thing and very difficult to rebound from. This state needs to think long and hard about what is in the best interest for the people, not the athletic program. With that said, LR and War Memorial need to get there act together, stop loafing and start getting on top of things at a much quicker rate. WM stadium needs MAJOR upgrades!

Good post.

Two things Tubberville said stuck out to me.  One was his comment that some cases are different and this is one of those.  People here won't like that.  How many times did your mother ask if you'd jump off a bridge just because your friend did? 

The second thing Tubberville said is that he told Broyles there are more important things than money.  This is a big picture question and I'm sure that Jeff Long now understands that if he didn't at first.  His recent tone and comments show he understands that. 

You make a very good point about WMS and Little Rock.  HoginMemphis made a very good point earlier today in another thread about the sad state of affairs in Pulaski County football programs.  Little Rock is in need of an overhaul - in every respect - structurally and emotionally.  Little Rock's pride and image during the 70s, 80s and 90s were inextricably intertwined with high school football and WMS games.  Those were decades of double digit growth for central Arkansas.  That growth has stagnated since 2000 at a time when cities across the South are experiencing revival.  It is vitally important for the entire state that Central Arkansas restore itself as a vibrant metropolitan center.  Football won't fix things, but revitalizing high school football in public schools will return pride to the culture and provide opportunity for many.  A meaningful facelift for WMS and one SEC game there per year would go a long way towards jump starting and uniting the community.  In the end everyone wins, including NWA.  Like it or not, Fayetteville and Little Rock need each other, even if they are rival siblings. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: SwazyHog on September 18, 2017, 10:26:37 pm
Tuberville has my vote for NEW AD!  ;)

He has my vote for new AD and new head football coach. If we can't get Chip Kelly of course.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

East TN HAWG

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 19, 2017, 01:05:49 am

If Coach Broyles had been allowed to hire Tuberville, then we wouldn't have had the 10 years of drama with Nutt.

I agree.  The highs might have been a little higher, and the lows definitely would not have been as low.  But in the end we would have fired him probably around the same time as Nutt.  Its what we do here, and almost every other job in the SEC.  Every team does the same thing hoping they catch that once in a life time coach. 

phadedhawg

Loved how much time i spent ribbing Wally Hall to start off the speech.  Also loved the line  "a lot of people say 'we wanted ya to come home to Arkansas and coach', 'I said hell, if you go to Arkansas and get fired, then were do you go?'"

hahahaha

Sivad

He would have been the Razorback coach and probably the AD now if not for the obstinance and outright stupidity of the ridiculous Quin Grovey.

AirWarren

Great speech.

Spoken like a true Arkansan. Not some carpetbagger out of town northern folk.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

I've ALWAYS been an nwa guy on the gsd After hearing that.... I'm down to fire JL, hire Tubs as AD, and give Little Rock 1 game per year, but only against ASU. And scratch that Jerry World game. This year should be the swan song on that shizz.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

DeltaBoy

Yes thank John BOY White and his friends for getting the BOT to let them and not Frank hire the new coach.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Polecat

So he goes to Little Rock and reads a speech someone else wrote and now he needs to be our AD? Makes sense
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

pigskenG

Is this the coach that walked out on recruiting week end without telling anyone to take another job ?

bphi11ips

factchecker

Quote from: pigskenG on September 19, 2017, 01:27:32 pm
Is this the coach that walked out on recruiting week end without telling anyone to take another job ?

Yes.  When he was at Texas Tech.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 19, 2017, 09:44:52 am
Good post.

Two things Tubberville said stuck out to me.  One was his comment that some cases are different and this is one of those.  People here won't like that.  How many times did your mother ask if you'd jump off a bridge just because your friend did? 

The second thing Tubberville said is that he told Broyles there are more important things than money.  This is a big picture question and I'm sure that Jeff Long now understands that if he didn't at first.  His recent tone and comments show he understands that. 

You make a very good point about WMS and Little Rock.  HoginMemphis made a very good point earlier today in another thread about the sad state of affairs in Pulaski County football programs.  Little Rock is in need of an overhaul - in every respect - structurally and emotionally.  Little Rock's pride and image during the 70s, 80s and 90s were inextricably intertwined with high school football and WMS games.  Those were decades of double digit growth for central Arkansas.  That growth has stagnated since 2000 at a time when cities across the South are experiencing revival.  It is vitally important for the entire state that Central Arkansas restore itself as a vibrant metropolitan center.  Football won't fix things, but revitalizing high school football in public schools will return pride to the culture and provide opportunity for many.  A meaningful facelift for WMS and one SEC game there per year would go a long way towards jump starting and uniting the community.  In the end everyone wins, including NWA.  Like it or not, Fayetteville and Little Rock need each other, even if they are rival siblings. 
The state has a surplus but for some reason funding isn't there for these schools. Something just doesn't seem right about that. For example, my wife works for an online public school here in Arkansas. There are FIVE employees to meet and greet new enrollments plus help students that are failing to get get back on track with their studies. FIVE people helping over 3000 students in a 40hr week doesn't add up. You can't stuff 100lbs. of crap in a 10lbs.bag.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Inhogswetrust

September 20, 2017, 07:07:06 am #22 Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:28:20 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: bphi11ips on September 19, 2017, 09:44:52 am
Good post.

The thing that was interesting to me was him mentioning the three things you can't change or get back. Number one was time. I guess he thinks that times doesn't change but indeed it does. I also don't think that central Arkansas doesn't need to restore itself as a vibrant metropolitan center. It never lost that moniker. It still is a vibrant metropolitan center. A metropolitan center doesn't have to have big time growth to be vibrant. That doesn't mean it needs a couple of Hog games every year to be as such. I do think revitalizing high school football in the area would help the Hogs but that doesn't make it necessary to being a vibrant metropolitan area. Having good high school football did not stop any double digit growth in central Arkansas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 19, 2017, 12:29:36 pm
I've ALWAYS been an nwa guy on the gsd After hearing that.... I'm down to fire JL, hire Tubs as AD, and give Little Rock 1 game per year, but only against ASU. And scratch that Jerry World game. This year should be the swan song on that shizz.

You want to p.o. perhaps the biggest Hog supporter and alum of all time. That's not very smart.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on September 19, 2017, 11:18:53 pm
Yes.  When he was at Texas Tech.

It's also where he slapped an assistant on the sideline during a game and then tried to make up some BS to where he thought it wouldn't be so bad for himself.

Redhogs

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 19, 2017, 12:15:27 pm
GSD reignited in 3,2,1...
Nope..guy gives a speech in LR, probably written by a guy from little rock, for the benefit from Little Rock. What do you think he was going to say. WMS is done. You cannot let a 80,000 seat stadium sit empty and pay to use a S***** 50,000 seat stadium anymore, makes no sense...bond has to be paid, box seats have to be sold. It's not 1970 anymore, access to games, interstates, a million things have changed. 
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Sivad on September 19, 2017, 11:28:58 am
He would have been the Razorback coach and probably the AD now if not for the obstinance and outright stupidity of the ridiculous Quin Grovey.
Just curious, what exactly did Quin Grovey do?

Ironhawg

I've never met the man, so I can't say for sure, but Tommy T comes off as an arrogant, self-centered individual.  I'm not sure how well that would work as the AD.

Polecat

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 20, 2017, 07:54:12 am
Just curious, what exactly did Quin Grovey do?

Word on the streets is that Quin played a big role in hiring Nutt when others wanted Tubs
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Razorbackers

Quote from: Polecat on September 19, 2017, 12:53:20 pm
So he goes to Little Rock and reads a speech someone else wrote and now he needs to be our AD? Makes sense

these folks are insane bruh

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 20, 2017, 07:07:06 am
The thing that was interesting to me was him mentioning the three things you can't change or get back. Number one was time. I guess he thinks that times doesn't change but indeed it does. I also don't think that central Arkansas doesn't need to restore itself as a vibrant metropolitan center. It never lost that moniker. It still is a vibrant metropolitan center. A metropolitan center doesn't have to have big time growth to be vibrant. That doesn't mean it needs a couple of Hog games every year to be as such. I do think revitalizing high school football in the area would help the Hogs but that doesn't make it necessary to being a vibrant metropolitan area. Having good high school football did not stop any double digit growth in central Arkansas.

Nice knee jerk response.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Ironhawg on September 20, 2017, 09:32:10 am
I've never met the man, so I can't say for sure, but Tommy T comes off as an arrogant, self-centered individual.  I'm not sure how well that would work as the AD.

I can see where you might think that. And it would be accurate.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 20, 2017, 02:33:19 pm
Nice knee jerk response.

Nice knee jerk response from you. If you think mine was then pot meet kettle.

I'll say this. My dad knows the Tubberville family. He liked Tommy. My response is only based on what Tommy has done. Some of which happened after my Dad passed away and IF he had lived he wouldn't have liked what he did. My response about central Arkansas being a vibrant metro area comes from my experiences there my whole life including up to today. It is where I grew up and a huge amount of my family and friends live in. I'm there a LOT of the time. Maybe you are as well but if so we see it in very different views. Sure there are parts that aren't as vibrant as they were before but that's true of almost any metro area or city. That being said some areas are much more vibrant than they were before. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing knee jerk about it.

moses_007

Great speech.  It's a shame he never coached at Arkansas.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 20, 2017, 06:47:32 pmNothing knee jerk about it.

Sure it was.  If I said the sky is blue you would insist that it is purple and tell us it is all colors in the spectrum but that we only see it as blue.

If you don't think Little Rock has serious problems you aren't paying attention. Compare Little Rock growth patterns with Nashville:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock,_Arkansas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville,_Tennessee

It is clear to many civic leaders and observers that Nashville is booming in part because of the Titans, the Predators, and the television show "Nashville".  If you don't understand the dynamics of a booming community in the business you're in you need to find another profession.  If you don't understand the psychology of Little Rock, you must not have been paying much attention when you grew up there.  If you don't understand why Little Rock's health is critical to the state of Arkansas, then you don't know much about Arkansas.

I have never understood your disdain for Little Rock, but I have a good idea where it came from. 

bphi11ips

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Polecat on September 20, 2017, 09:52:31 am
Word on the streets is that Quin played a big role in hiring Nutt when others wanted Tubs
Oh, ok.

ND

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 21, 2017, 10:32:34 am
Sure it was.  If I said the sky is blue you would insist that it is purple and tell us it is all colors in the spectrum but that we only see it as blue.

If you don't think Little Rock has serious problems you aren't paying attention. Compare Little Rock growth patterns with Nashville:

It is clear to many civic leaders and observers that Nashville is booming in part because of the Titans, the Predators, and the television show "Nashville".  If you don't understand the dynamics of a booming community in the business you're in you need to find another profession.  If you don't understand the psychology of Little Rock, you must not have been paying much attention when you grew up there.  If you don't understand why Little Rock's health is critical to the state of Arkansas, then you don't know much about Arkansas.

I actually agree with most of your points regarding Little Rock.  I don't think Nashville is a fair comparison though.  It's had a boat load of appeal for many reasons, for several years.  Professional sports teams, deep historical relevance, vibrant metro-culture, long-time famed musical history, celebrity connections, Country Music Hall of Fame, consolidated local government, Vanderbilt - which employs about 20,000 people, the list goes on.  It's also become one of the "hipster meccas", along with Austin, Seattle, Portland and San Fran, all of which have exploded over the past 5 years.  Plus it had like a half a million more people, per the 2010 census.

We're just too far behind.  What we were doing with the River Market back in 2005 - 2006, other, more progressive cities were doing in the 90's.  We've made some strides to be more attractive recently, area-wise, but it's only been just enough to keep it slightly interesting as opposed to attractive.  We just don't have any big venues/draws or large "cool" employers to lean on.  For a long time everyone was like, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Then when it broke, we suddenly started looking outside of our own borders and found everything unattractive and neglected as compared to other cities.  But the kicker is that everyone else did too.

And I'll also be honest, and this is an unpopular opinion down here, but without any large, traditional sports venues and/or established attractions (like a football team), Little Rock, albeit late to the party as always, seems to have decided to forego more traditional attractions and refocus itself into being more attractive to a younger generation which cares more about eclectic bistros, noodle restaurants, coffee bars, boutique tacos, the local music scene and micro-breweries, than it does about any sort of sports.

Little Rock wants desperately to be cool, and let's face it, watching a sub-par Razorback team play Hackensack Tech once a year in a run down stadium, or a minor league baseball team every now and then, ain't as cool as getting a tofu noodle bowl at Three Fold and then taking selfies with your friends while drinking the latest micro-brew sampler at Lost 40.

Without any large, previously established attractions and venues, or big money investors to create them, we've hit the ceiling as far as attraction goes.  I don't blame the U of A for wanting to nix games down here in Little Rock, in it's current state.  But at least we can put on our skinny jeans and look cool while watching Razorback games on TV at Gusanos and then afterwards catching the latest hipster band at Sticky Fingers! 

Whoo hoo! (twirls finger)

N

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 21, 2017, 10:47:44 am
Oh, ok.

Quinn was part of the hiring subcommittee and stood firm in support of Nutt. When he finally convinced another member to switch his vote to Nutt giving him the majority, another member who strongly supported hiring Tuberville (Bill Montgomery) walked out and would have nothing more to do with the University until after Hooty was fired. When the subcommittee gave their recommendation to hire Nutt to the main hiring committee, it was approved unanimously.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on September 21, 2017, 01:22:15 pm
Quinn was part of the hiring subcommittee and stood firm in support of Nutt. When he finally convinced another member to switch his vote to Nutt giving him the majority, another member who strongly supported hiring Tuberville (Bill Montgomery) walked out and would have nothing more to do with the University until after Hooty was fired. When the subcommittee gave their recommendation to hire Nutt to the main hiring committee, it was approved unanimously.

I knew there was a reason Bill Montgomery was my all-time favorite Razorback.

ND

Quote from: GuvHog on September 21, 2017, 01:22:15 pm

I recall there being quite a bit of drama over this.  Apparently, out of the 6 committee members, initially 3 were for Tuberville and 3 were for Nutt.  Then a chain of weird and somewhat questionable events took place in a matter of like 24 hours after they spoke to Tuberville in New York, which swayed them to 5-1 in favor of Nutt.

N

Sivad

Grovey announced that he would not even consider Tuberville or anyone else and would only vote for Nutt. Also insisted Tommy, then the Ole Miss coach, publicly come to Arkansas and interview with his committee for the job, which of course TT could not do. Broyles thought he had TT hired, TT was coming, and Quinn Grovey screwed the pooch.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 19, 2017, 11:00:44 am
Loved how much time i spent ribbing Wally Hall to start off the speech.  Also loved the line  "a lot of people say 'we wanted ya to come home to Arkansas and coach', 'I said hell, if you go to Arkansas and get fired, then were do you go?'"

hahahaha

Glad to know you post coach... You smell any wet hog's lately..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

GuvHog

Quote from: Sivad on September 21, 2017, 05:33:53 pm
Grovey announced that he would not even consider Tuberville or anyone else and would only vote for Nutt. Also insisted Tommy, then the Ole Miss coach, publicly come to Arkansas and interview with his committee for the job, which of course TT could not do. Broyles thought he had TT hired, TT was coming, and Quinn Grovey screwed the pooch.

If Tommy had wanted the job bad enough, he would have found a way to get to Fayetteville for the interview. I believe he was just trying to get a raise at Ole Miss.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

wachhog

Quote from: Sivad on September 21, 2017, 05:33:53 pm
I have always assumed Quinn Grovey was acting on the behalf of someone else. Some big Nutt supporter probably from Little Rock. Anyone know who?

Sivad

Quote from: GuvHog on September 21, 2017, 05:52:40 pm
If Tommy had wanted the job bad enough, he would have found a way to get to Fayetteville for the interview. I believe he was just trying to get a raise at Ole Miss.
You could not be more wrong.

Rudy Baylor

thanks GUV

ND

Quote from: Sivad on September 21, 2017, 06:33:38 pm
You could not be more wrong.

Yeah, I was under the impression that he was up in New York City for the College Football Hall of Fame and they agreed to interview him there, which is what they did.  An offer was made, but they only had something like 12 hours before it expired and were having a difficult time getting back to Arkansas in time to review it with White and the sub-committee.  Bill had stayed behind in New York City. 

Then a barrage of weird things happened.  Grovey made his announcement, someone called Tuberville to tell him it would be longer than 12 hours and heard someone else in the background talking about money, Ole Miss players came forward to complain about him, all sorts of weird stuff.

N

Inhogswetrust

September 22, 2017, 07:03:19 am #48 Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:37:56 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: bphi11ips on September 21, 2017, 10:32:34 am

I have never understood your disdain for Little Rock, but I have a good idea where it came from. 

Of course Little Rock has serious problem but so do ALL cities and metro areas. Of course I pay attention to what goes on there since I'm there a lot. Problems do not necessarily equal to one area growing fast and another not. Comparing two cities with only really one comparable characteristic and that being the state capital of their respective state is not valid. If I were told I had to move to one or the other then it would be a hard choice. Both have plusses and minuses to me personally. Of course Little Rock's health is critical to the state. I never said otherwise. You simply think it is dying and I don't. Look at it this way there is only one city in America that is the fastest growing one and by your logic all the others are not doing as well as they should.

P.S. Nashville was booming before the Titans and Preds came there. Otherwise they wouldn't have gotten them to begin with. They were a part of the growth not the reasons for it.

SwazyHog

"I felt like I owed it to the state. They let me come in and transfer here to Arkansas, and I felt like it wouldn't be fair after one year to just up and leave."

"This is your Public Service Announcement  for 2010: Remember, No One's Buckass Snitshit Crazier Than Arkansas Fans."