Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 SF Dikembe Dixson (B-Ball)

Started by -Blu, December 15, 2014, 09:18:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

David Schneider @ShowTimeNation  ·  11h 11 hours ago
2015 Mingo Central (WV) SF Dikembe Dixson (@Ddixson_35) picks up interest from Arkansas.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203514/dikembe-dixson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHxMPSlNo14#t=66

RazorPiggie

Rated only by espn and nothing on him on rivals or 24/7 for over a year.

-Blu

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 15, 2014, 09:24:01 pm
Rated only by espn and nothing on him on rivals or 24/7 for over a year.

The Spring period is usually where you find those "Late Bloomers".  There's going to be guys that aren't ranked that high or Not Ranked at all that's going to come out of no where, happens every year.  Michael Qualls was a guy that was similar to this.  I'm not going to lie I don't know much about the guy, but 247 is showing he recently picked up interest by Ark, UConn, Iowa State, Kentucky, and Lousiville.  Going to see if I can't find more info on his recruiting.

Swinesong1

Quote from: -Blu on December 15, 2014, 09:30:47 pm
The Spring period is usually where you find those "Late Bloomers".  There's going to be guys that aren't ranked that high or Not Ranked at all that's going to come out of no where, happens every year.  Michael Qualls was a guy that was similar to this.  I'm not going to lie I don't know much about the guy, but 247 is showing he recently picked up interest by Ark, UConn, Iowa State, Kentucky, and Lousiville.  Going to see if I can't find more info on his recruiting.
Evidently he wasn't an AAU circuit regular and has been in three different states in high school.  Looks long and skilled tho.  Read where he made his name against ranked players at John Lucas camp.

TomBigBeeHog

As this relates to Kevaughn, looks like Hawg Red was right. Hog coaches looking at signing a PF and SF to go along with Whitt. Makes sense though, looking at the roster and potential player losses this year.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

-Blu

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on December 15, 2014, 10:05:10 pm
As this relates to Kevaughn, looks like Hawg Red was right. Hog coaches looking at signing a PF and SF to go along with Whitt. Makes sense though, looking at the roster and potential player losses this year.

Yea, it doesn't make much sense to bring another guard in.  I was actually wondering when we'd hear a name come up for combo forward, because we're losing all of them after next year (Williams, Miles, Qualls).  And we lose Harris after this year.

Swinesong1

Swinesong1

nwahogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on December 15, 2014, 10:10:55 pm
Yea, it doesn't make much sense to bring another guard in.  I was actually wondering when we'd hear a name come up for combo forward, because we're losing all of them after next year (Williams, Miles, Qualls).  And we lose Harris after this year.

I agree.  We need a 6'7 or so athletic combo guard in this class.  Someone who can rebound and score a little with big upsides.

jackflash

Surprise that Kentucky looking at him. Didn't think they signed anybody that was a McDonald All American

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 29, 2015, 12:25:21 pm
Recruiting page.
If true wonder what changed?  A player leaving or Dixson getting so good we decided to offer and then we  will make a player change later?

But I agree we need a player of this type.  A long athletic 6'7 SF who can score.

-Blu

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 29, 2015, 12:23:13 pm
Got an offer.

I'm starting to wonder how old these last couple of offers are.  Both Dixson and Alexander offers were reported by Adam Zagoria, and when they were reported they were reported with other offers from other schools as well.  I'm thinking Zagoria is just going through his rounds and contacting recruits and asking who has offered them, I'm thinking these could be offers from earlier in year.

Danny J

Quote from: -Blu on March 29, 2015, 01:00:27 pm
I'm starting to wonder how old these last couple of offers are.  Both Dixson and Alexander offers were reported by Adam Zagoria, and when they were reported they were reported with other offers from other schools as well.  I'm thinking Zagoria is just going through his rounds and contacting recruits and asking who has offered them, I'm thinking these could be offers from earlier in year.
So this may not be current?

-Blu

Quote from: Danny J on March 29, 2015, 01:16:59 pm
So this may not be current?

No idea.  I'm just giving my opinion on the situation.  I'm thinking if it was a recent or current offer our Arkansas recruiting guys would be reporting on it or we would have seen the kid tweet it or something like that.  Zagaoria is the only person reporting these offers, and when he reports them he's mentioning other schools in the report as well, that leads me to believe he's just calling the kids and asking them who do they have offers from, and he's listing any school that hasn't been mentioned before.

I could be completely wrong and these are recent offers, but it just seems odd that Zagoria is the only one reporting on them.

lefty08

Basketball recruiting news is now being posted here on jump ball.  Good add to the discussion however.

I like this kid, what I don't like is the offers coming now. I've said all along Bobby and Mike are coming back. Does that mean they aren't or that someone else is leaving?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: lefty08 on March 29, 2015, 02:23:32 pm
Basketball recruiting news is now being posted here on jump ball.  Good add to the discussion however.

I like this kid, what I don't like is the offers coming now. I've said all along Bobby and Mike are coming back. Does that mean they aren't or that someone else is leaving?

You can't just not recruit players in hope that they come back. We are covering our bases.

Hog and Eggs

Is Dixson more of a Qualls or a Williams/Harris? If the latter, what is it with CMA and his infatuation with undersized 4s?

GatorHog

What happens if the offer is accepted and there is no room?

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: GatorHog on March 29, 2015, 04:13:46 pm
What happens if the offer is accepted and there is no room?

These kids we are recruiting know we don't have room yet. You tell them you really want them, but they obviously know it's a wait and see.

-Blu

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on March 29, 2015, 03:45:40 pm
Is Dixson more of a Qualls or a Williams/Harris? If the latter, what is it with CMA and his infatuation with undersized 4s?

More of a Williams type of player.  And combo forwards work really well in this system because as you can see from CMA teams, we switch a lot on defense, so it's good to have versatile guys that can guard multiple positions, also when you play at this fast of pace it's good to have forwards that can push the ball to keep the tempo up, and it's also a good match-up problems for other teams because our forwards can usually shoot pretty well, and it forces the other teams forwards to have to come out on the perimeter on guard them.

Hawg Red

I wouldn't lump Williams and Harris into the same group of player.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Razorod

Be a good get, esp if Miles is the one leaving,
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Swinesong1

He is a SG/SF.  From the few videos I've seen, he is no way a Williams.  Very versatile.  Good handles.

navyhog24

If Portis and Qualls are coming back, I guess someone could be transferring soon and we'll have a spot open soon.

intelligence

a 6'7 g/f and a 6'10 forward offered in back to back days. tells me something right there.

ADavisTheGOAT

We need another SF in a bad way. Having only Williams wont cut it.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 29, 2015, 05:46:03 pm
If Portis and Qualls are coming back, I guess someone could be transferring soon and we'll have a spot open soon.

I wonder who that might be

Danny J

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on March 29, 2015, 04:15:29 pm
These kids we are recruiting know we don't have room yet. You tell them you really want them, but they obviously know it's a wait and see.

Danny J

Quote from: intelligence on March 29, 2015, 06:45:45 pm
a 6'7 g/f and a 6'10 forward offered in back to back days. tells me something right there.
Just a guess on my part but I think the staff are covering all the bases because I don't think Qualls or Portis have made up their minds. So you offer and tell the kids "hey...we really want you but right now there is no room but Portis or Qualls may end up leaving and if they do we will have a spot". Has to be done.

Atlhogfan1

Versatile F's and G's are what drives the system we try to play. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

woodhog14

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 29, 2015, 05:46:03 pm

Nope...MA just said 2 days ago that they are going to continue to recruit just in case Qualls or Portis don't come back.

lefty08

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on March 29, 2015, 03:40:20 pm
You can't just not recruit players in hope that they come back. We are covering our bases.

If the kids are aware the offer is non committable there is absolutely no reason to make it public
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

HF#1

Wouldn't surprise me to see JaCorey transfer.  Perhaps its wishful thinking
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

870hogfan

No it doesn't.....

popcornhog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 29, 2015, 07:19:08 pm
Wouldn't surprise me to see JaCorey transfer.  Perhaps its wishful thinking

Why do you say that?

If he develops a jump shot and improve his handles a bit he could develop into an All SEC 2nd team type player.

If he doesn't develop a jumper, he's still a good rebounder and defender -- the type of guy every team wants in their bench.
WPS

HF#1

Quote from: popcornhog on March 29, 2015, 07:31:45 pm
Why do you say that?

If he develops a jump shot and improve his handles a bit he could develop into an All SEC 2nd team type player.

If he doesn't develop a jumper, he's still a good rebounder and defender -- the type of guy every team wants in their bench.

He's a turnover machine and he doesn't rebound.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

-Blu

Quote from: HF#1 on March 29, 2015, 08:03:35 pm
He's a turnover machine and he doesn't rebound.

If we can get the JaCorey Williams that played like he did in the first 10 games of this season then we'll be alright.  He just gets a little too carried away at times.  If he just comes in, plays good defense, get rebounds, and hits that mid range shot when available, he's definitely worth keeping, and I think he'll be a little better his senior year.  I don't expect him to start, but I think he'll be one of our key energy guys off the bench.

The_Bionic_Pig

hahaha...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

-Blu

Quote from: Hogfan991 on March 29, 2015, 06:46:01 pm
We need another SF in a bad way. Having only Williams wont cut it.

We don't really have a "SF" we play 3 Guards 2 Forwards.  Qualls would be the only guy that you could link as similar to the SF position.  Williams only played that position once this year against Kentucky, the rest of the year he always played at the 4 spot backing up Harris.  And going into this year, I highly suspect that Babb (6'5) will be backing up Qualls (if he returns) and playing at that 3rd guard spot, Williams will continue to play at the 4 spot.

intelligence

Scott7703

Quote from: intelligence on March 29, 2015, 09:11:45 pm
hopefully i'm wrong. wouldn't be the first time

I'm under the impression these guys had offers before yesterday. I still won't be shocked if 1/2 of qualls/Portis leave and there is also another defection as well.

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: popcornhog on March 29, 2015, 07:31:45 pm
Why do you say that?

Actually, I thought he had a pretty fair 15 footer. That was about the only offense he had. He was good at getting into the middle of the zone and knocking those down. But, he was a terrible rebounder. AT 6'8 you should average more than 3 rpg. Honestly, he just doesn't play very smart. I don't think there is any chance he is All SEC anything.

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: -Blu on March 29, 2015, 04:39:17 pm
More of a Williams type of player.  And combo forwards work really well in this system because as you can see from CMA teams, we switch a lot on defense, so it's good to have versatile guys that can guard multiple positions, also when you play at this fast of pace it's good to have forwards that can push the ball to keep the tempo up, and it's also a good match-up problems for other teams because our forwards can usually shoot pretty well, and it forces the other teams forwards to have to come out on the perimeter on guard them.

I just hate the way we get abused at the 4 spot when we battle teams with bigger front lines. I'd love to have someone Derek Hoodesque at the four spot. A guy who is athletic, but rebounds well and has some offensive skills. I did like what Coty Clarke brought to the table. The guy was a good ball player.

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 29, 2015, 04:46:06 pm
I wouldn't lump Williams and Harris into the same group of player.

Wasn't comparing there skills. It was more a comment on how they are both undersized fours. Williams is skinny, doesn't rebound, and can't really play physical under the basket. Harris, while is skill set is more suited to the four, is only 6'6 and struggles to play within himself.

-Blu

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on March 29, 2015, 09:56:17 pm
I just hate the way we get abused at the 4 spot when we battle teams with bigger front lines. I'd love to have someone Derek Hoodesque at the four spot. A guy who is athletic, but rebounds well and has some offensive skills. I did like what Coty Clarke brought to the table. The guy was a good ball player.

Who did we get abused by on the front line other than Kentucky (Who abuses everybody and has the biggest front line in all of basketball)?

We held our own against everybody in conference and beat the more physical teams (Georgia, South Carolina, TAM, Ole Miss).  If your referring to our final game against North Carolina, rebounding was 39-42.  Our front line did more than enough to put us in a position to win that game, turnovers is what lost that for us.  I don't care how much rebounding your doing your not winning with 20+ turnovers.

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on March 29, 2015, 09:58:02 pm
Wasn't comparing there skills. It was more a comment on how they are both undersized fours. Williams is skinny, doesn't rebound, and can't really play physical under the basket. Harris, while is skill set is more suited to the four, is only 6'6 and struggles to play within himself.

I wouldn't call 6'8 220 "skinny" if you got an average height and weight of every 4 in the nation, I bet he's above the average on both categories.  Williams problem was not his size, but more of him trying to do too much at times and not letting the game come to him.  Like I said if he comes in and knows his role is to rebound, bring energy, and hit the open mid-range shot, he'd be fine, but sometimes he gets carried away and it showed.

lefty08

Calling Williams skinny is As funny as saying we got killed on the boards against UNC, I've seen both wayyyy too many times

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: -Blu on March 29, 2015, 08:52:43 pm
We don't really have a "SF" we play 3 Guards 2 Forwards.  Qualls would be the only guy that you could link as similar to the SF position.  Williams only played that position once this year against Kentucky, the rest of the year he always played at the 4 spot backing up Harris.  And going into this year, I highly suspect that Babb (6'5) will be backing up Qualls (if he returns) and playing at that 3rd guard spot, Williams will continue to play at the 4 spot.

Arkansas could really use a versatile 6-7 wing player. Swing forwards murdered the Hogs all season. Can't understand anybody wanting that situation to persist.
[CENSORED]!

The Recruiting Guy

I'm not certain Dixson or Alexander were offered. A very good source indicates they haven't.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Richard Davenport on March 30, 2015, 08:29:22 am
I'm not certain Dixson or Alexander were offered. A very good source indicates they haven't.

Thank you for checkin and sharing on that!