Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC 2011 Bowl Payout

Started by Hog on the Hill, January 03, 2012, 02:47:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog on the Hill

The SEC will take in $32.5 million for its double appearance in the BCS title game — $26.4 million through LSU as the automatic qualifier and $6.1 million through Alabama as the at-large qualifier. Yet both LSU and Alabama will basically receive about the same bowl money share as non-bowl teams from the league such as Kentucky, Tennessee and Ole Miss and teams headed to lesser bowls. Why does this revenue sharing model work for the SEC whereas some Big 12 members seemed to struggle with a less equal sharing model tilted toward Texas?

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120103/SPORTS/201030305/SEC-commissioner-MIke-Slive-can-t-lose-Monday-night

Here's how the SEC handles bowl payouts:

QuoteSEC BOWL REVENUE DISTRIBUTION

(A) For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance of less than $1,500,000, the participating institution shall retain $800,000 plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee. The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and will be divided into 13 equal shares with one share to the Conference and one share to each member institution.

NONE

(B) For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance between $1,500,000 and $3,999,999, the participating institution shall retain $1,000,000 plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee. The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and will be divided into 13 equal shares, with one share to the Conference and one share to each member institution.

ARK ($3.6m), VANDY ($1.7m), MSU ($1.8m), UGA ($3.5m), AUBURN ($2.9m), FLORIDA ($2.7m)

(C) For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance between $4,000,000 and $5,999,999, the participating institution shall retain $1,200,000 plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee. The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and will be divided into 13 equal shares, with one share to the Conference and one share to each member institution.

SOUTH CAROLINA ($4.6m)

(D) For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance between $6,000,000 or more, the participating institution shall receive $1,700,000 ($1,800,000 if the SEC team is a participant in the Bowl Championship Series game which determines the National Championship) plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee. The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and will be divided into 13 equal shares, with one share to the Conference and one share to each member institution.

ALABAMA ($6.1m) & LSU ($26.4m)

I threw together a spreadsheet to show the total individual share from the bowl season for each SEC school:

click the image to enlarge it

Alabama and LSU receive about $5m, the other bowl eligible schools receive $4.3m, and the bowl ineligible schools receive $3.3m.

This is mostly an FYI post, but I'm sure there could be some interesting discussion about bowl payouts and how they affect conference success.  Does anyone know how Missouri and Texas A&M will fare in their last bowl seasons in the Big 12?  How does the Big 12 handle its payouts?

Hog on the Hill

I screwed up the alphabetical order S before T :(

deshahawg

RazorBassin

Great work!  Thanks for sharing!  +1

OneTuskOverTheLine™

January 03, 2012, 03:07:36 pm #4 Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:10:33 pm by 4windshawg
If they wanted to see a competitive BCSNC game they would make that large pay-out to the winner each year.. It wouldn't matter this year, but in the future you would see one killer game, imho...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

lrcentral

They should just scrape the equal pay for each individual bowl game. Just make every bowl, winner take all.

n5xm

I mean really, who cares.  The SEC isn't the Sisters of the Poor...money isn't a problem however you look at it.

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: lrcentral on January 03, 2012, 03:36:43 pm
They should just scrape the equal pay for each individual bowl game. Just make every bowl, winner take all.
That would be bad for the conference as a whole

Academic

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on January 03, 2012, 02:47:10 pm
The SEC will take in $32.5 million for its double appearance in the BCS title game — $26.4 million through LSU as the automatic qualifier and $6.1 million through Alabama as the at-large qualifier. Yet both LSU and Alabama will basically receive about the same bowl money share as non-bowl teams from the league such as Kentucky, Tennessee and Ole Miss and teams headed to lesser bowls. Why does this revenue sharing model work for the SEC whereas some Big 12 members seemed to struggle with a less equal sharing model tilted toward Texas?

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120103/SPORTS/201030305/SEC-commissioner-MIke-Slive-can-t-lose-Monday-night

Here's how the SEC handles bowl payouts:

I threw together a spreadsheet to show the total individual share from the bowl season for each SEC school:

click the image to enlarge it

Alabama and LSU receive about $5m, the other bowl eligible schools receive $4.3m, and the bowl ineligible schools receive $3.3m.

This is mostly an FYI post, but I'm sure there could be some interesting discussion about bowl payouts and how they affect conference success.  Does anyone know how Missouri and Texas A&M will fare in their last bowl seasons in the Big 12?  How does the Big 12 handle its payouts?

One little thing, just to nitpick. Alabama and LSU will receive $1.8mil not $1.7mil, if you read the fine print it says:

QuoteFor bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance between $6,000,000 or more, the participating institution shall receive $1,700,000 ($1,800,000 if the SEC team is a participant in the Bowl Championship Series game which determines the National Championship)

Other than that, nice work! I had always thought that everything was split 100% even, regardless of which bowl you participated in...

SEdrhawg

I guess I'm confused about the vocabulary here.... the article says that the SEC will take in roughly 26 million from the automatic qualifier (LSU), but only 6 million roughly from the non automatic qualifier (Alabama).  So if I read this correctly, Alabama is punished because they are a non-automatic qualifier (even thought they are in the BCSNCG) and only take in 6 million.  Supposse Okie St. would have gotten the bid over Bama, since they are an automatic qualfying team would they have been entitled to 26 million like LSU?  If so, we (the SEC) are getting screwed.  Am I misunderstanding the article, surely I am???

hoosier

I think the whole idea of revenue sharing is a must for a conference to thrive but I think the bowl team should get to keep a little more than what they are. Arkansas only getting 1m of their 3.6m seems a little low and ole miss, UK and Tenner getting 1m less than the rest of the bowl teams seems a little high.

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Potosihog

Quote from: lrcentral on January 03, 2012, 03:36:43 pm
And we think we have trouble with referrees changing the outcome of the game now?  No thanks.  I like it just the way it is. 

Academic

Quote from: SEdrhawg on January 03, 2012, 05:01:25 pm
I guess I'm confused about the vocabulary here.... the article says that the SEC will take in roughly 26 million from the automatic qualifier (LSU), but only 6 million roughly from the non automatic qualifier (Alabama).  So if I read this correctly, Alabama is punished because they are a non-automatic qualifier (even thought they are in the BCSNCG) and only take in 6 million.  Supposse Okie St. would have gotten the bid over Bama, since they are an automatic qualfying team would they have been entitled to 26 million like LSU?  If so, we (the SEC) are getting screwed.  Am I misunderstanding the article, surely I am???

No, you're reading it right. The same thing happened to us last year in the Sugar, only one team from a particular conference gets the full BCS money every other team gets the $6 million. So, last year we got $6 million, but if Auburn would not have been in the BCSCG we would have gotten the full $26 million. And neither Alabama or us (last year) are getting screwed because we are still getting the same share of money from the SEC whether we are an automatic qualifier or not ($1.7 million).

The main thing that stands out to me is not that the SEC is getting screwed, but that the BCS is getting off dirt cheap this year since they are basically getting a $20 million discount on the Championship Game. But maybe that's just two ways of saying the same thing...

PurpleHog

January 04, 2012, 08:15:18 am #14 Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:17:20 am by PurpleHog
So what happens to that 20 million? Do the good ol' boys running the BCS just pocket that? Isn't the SEC missing out on 20 million here? Seems like we (the SEC) are definitely getting screwed, if that's the case.

nebhog70

Great Bowl Debate Revisted:

ARK going to the Cap 1 Bowl over Cotton would have only yielded $200K more in expense money that would no doubt have been spent.  ARK may have had to eat some unsold tickets at Cap 1.
"Never surrender opportunity for security."
Branch Rickey

Academic

Quote from: PurpleHog on January 04, 2012, 08:15:18 am
So what happens to that 20 million? Do the good ol' boys running the BCS just pocket that? Isn't the SEC missing out on 20 million here? Seems like we (the SEC) are definitely getting screwed, if that's the case.

Yeah, I was harping on this a bunch last year. But, the thing is, the SEC is still getting way more money than any other conference. I know that doesn't make it right, but it is a consolation.

I'm surprised Mike Slive isn't pushing for this to be changed as it would account for an additional $1.5 million for the SEC and each member institution. And we've probably lost the same $1.5 million each year for the past 6 years that the SEC has been in the National Championship with another school in another BCS game.

Academic

Quote from: nebhog70 on January 04, 2012, 08:37:10 am
Great Bowl Debate Revisted:

ARK going to the Cap 1 Bowl over Cotton would have only yielded $200K more in expense money that would no doubt have been spent.  ARK may have had to eat some unsold tickets at Cap 1.

Two things:

1) That's not what we're debating at all.
2) The extra $200K is separate from the expense money, it's the cut taken off the top of the bowl payout before it is split among the conference members. However, your point is still valid that we would have eaten some unsold tickets and even ~2,000 unsold tickets would have immediately negated that extra $200K. We are in the best possible (financially speaking) bowl outside of the BCS.

hogsanity

Quote from: Academic on January 04, 2012, 07:32:30 am
No, you're reading it right. The same thing happened to us last year in the Sugar, only one team from a particular conference gets the full BCS money every other team gets the $6 million. So, last year we got $6 million, but if Auburn would not have been in the BCSCG we would have gotten the full $26 million. And neither Alabama or us (last year) are getting screwed because we are still getting the same share of money from the SEC whether we are an automatic qualifier or not ($1.7 million).

The main thing that stands out to me is not that the SEC is getting screwed, but that the BCS is getting off dirt cheap this year since they are basically getting a $20 million discount on the Championship Game. But maybe that's just two ways of saying the same thing...

Wrong.  Ark would not have gotten the full share.  Only Auto qualifiers get that.  The SECCG winner is the auto qualifier from the SEC.  This year, had GA beaten LSu in the BCSCG, and had LSU and Bama still been in the BCSCG, GA would have gotten the full BCS game share, and both LSu and Bama would have gotten at large shares. 

Look for the entire auto qualiier, and bcs payout set up to change after the 2012 season.  The "bcs" bowls are tired of the system wihich forces them into games like Clem/WV and Mich/VT. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

younghog

GO HOGS

Pigsknuckles

Wow, that's the kind of wealth distribution the Occupiers are looking for.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

nebhog70

Bottom line: going to a bowl in the SEC yields a school between $1M-$2M over schools that stay home.
"Never surrender opportunity for security."
Branch Rickey

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2012, 09:06:33 am
Look for the entire auto qualiier, and bcs payout set up to change after the 2012 season. 
willing to bet?

PP

H0GGYSTYLE

The question I have is; I have read that the cotton bowl was going up to a 7.25 mil payout next year.  They must be either changing the rules regarding non-automatic qualifier payouts or it would simply be a better deal to go to the cotton over the sugar if another team was in the BCSNCG in your conference.

k.c.hawg

January 04, 2012, 11:26:38 am #24 Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:28:34 am by k.c.hawg
Quote from: nebhog70 on January 04, 2012, 10:27:17 am
Bottom line: going to a bowl in the SEC yields a school between $1M-$2M over schools that stay home.

Actually no....it doesn't. What this information does not state is the $1m that Arkansas gets and the (SEC allowed travel expenses) are both required to pay the travel expenses. Last year including the $1.2m we got off the top of the Sugar Bowl and our league allowed travel expenses we came away with $5,200 after paying the expenses of our travel party. So a team that stays at home such as Tenner ends up with about the same money as a team that appears in a BCS game. That being said some teams in BCS Bowls last year (UCONN) lost $1.6m because they had to commit to buying 17,500 tickets and their fan base didn't come close to buying them up.

Essentially we will make money off of our conference split but the dirty little secret is most bowl teams loose money by playing in a bowl. An article I read quotes the numbers (LSU spending $455k to take their band to the BCS game. They require 5oo+ tickets at $350 each.....throw in meals and a 4* hotel and transportation and you have almost a half a million for the band. Throw in the football team and 300+ administrators and the bills add up in a hurry. LSU said their budget for the BCS game this year is $2m which is break even on their cut and allowance. What you do get from a high profile bowl game is exposure that is priceless. Your football team, band, cheerleaders and staff get some first class accommodations, meals and hospitality as a reward for a good season. Fans get an extra month of football anticipation and get to go spend money and have fun!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pulledpork on January 04, 2012, 10:51:31 am
willing to bet?

PP

I dont bet, but the BCS bowls have already said they just want the BCS to handle 1vs2, that owuld leave them free to select whoever they want, this would avoid things like the #6 team in the nation being left out of a big bowl. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

younghog

January 04, 2012, 12:20:52 pm #26 Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:32:44 pm by younghog
Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 04, 2012, 11:26:38 am
Actually no....it doesn't. What this information does not state is the $1m that Arkansas gets and the (SEC allowed travel expenses) are both required to pay the travel expenses. Last year including the $1.2m we got off the top of the Sugar Bowl and our league allowed travel expenses we came away with $5,200 after paying the expenses of our travel party.

So k.c.hawg your saying we only netted 5,200 after all expenses from the SUGAR BOWL..

Can u site a freedom request or printed material on this..?

As this goes against the Forbes listing and all other things I've seen on this..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: younghog on January 04, 2012, 12:20:52 pm
So k.c.hawg your saying we only netted 5,200 after all expenses from the SUGAR BOWL..

As this goes against the Forbes listing and all other things I've seen on this..

GO HOGS

The 5200 DOES NOT include our payot from the SEC, the 5200 is only what we netted from what we are allowed to keep, out of which we have to pay expenses. 

What he is saying is that with revenue sharing, the schools often lose money on going to a bowl, but make it up and then much more via the league. 

If ArK got to keep all the payout from the Sugar last year, we would have made about 2mil profit.  But with the SEC revenue sharing it was more. 

SEdrhawg

Quote from: Academic on January 04, 2012, 07:32:30 am

Yes, this is what I am saying.  The BCS is getting a 20 million discount somewhere.  Is was considering that as the SEC getting screwed.  But it would apply to whatever conference had 2 automatic qualifiers.  This gap should be closed some, if not completely eliminated. 

younghog

so out of $1,800,000 from the SUGAR bowl.. We spent 1,794,800

Now I was there during the Sugar Bowl.. but Help me out..

So out of all the events and planned meetings.. Where food is supplied.

Transportation, Bus Transport while in NO, meeting room rental, lodging etc totalled 1,794,800

Is that what you guys are pushing..
GO HOGS

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: PurpleHog on January 04, 2012, 08:15:18 am
Not necessarily. In order for them to be pocketing a $20 million difference you'd have to assume they're taking in an additional $20 million to potentially pay it out. While I'm certainly no fan for the NCAA, I'm not sure we can accuse them of keeping that amount.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: younghog on January 04, 2012, 01:05:46 pm
so out of $1,800,000 from the SUGAR bowl.. We spent 1,794,800

Now I was there during the Sugar Bowl.. but Help me out..

So out of all the events and planned meetings.. Where food is supplied.

Transportation, Bus Transport while in NO, meeting room rental, lodging etc totalled 1,794,800

Is that what you guys are pushing..

I think that is what they are saying. If so, that is wild.
I would like to see how the money is spent.
Hotel $450,000 ??
Food $350,000 ??
Travel $100,000 ??
Still leaves an extra million laying around.
SOOIE

k.c.hawg

Quote from: younghog on January 04, 2012, 12:20:52 pm

GO HOGS

Yeah, here you go. These are all obtained on FOI for all of the public institutions. If you look to the right (related documents) you can veiw other schools reports as well.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/54618324/2011-Sugar-Bowl-NCAA-Expense-Report-Arkansas
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 04, 2012, 01:35:02 pm
Yeah, here you go. These are all obtained on FOI for all of the public institutions. If you look to the right (related documents) you can veiw other schools reports as well.

Good link. thanks.
SOOIE

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 04, 2012, 01:35:02 pm

So what ever happened to the touted 17million per school figure for Sugar Bowl participating schools? Additionally, as I read the OP's post, and the expense report, it seems that the participating school receives their share (per OP's post), PLUS the allowed expenses as determined by the SEC. So it seems that the $5200 is simply profit from the trip expense allowance. The school would still retain their original share, plus the divided share. Correct me if wrong please.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: MS_HogFan on January 04, 2012, 01:42:12 pm
Good link. thanks.

One of the things I found most intersting was the ticket commitment. We committed to buy 20,500 tickets and sold 18,000. It was interesting to look at the numbers alloted, the price range, and number sold. Most of the 2500 unsold were in the $120 and $140 range. The 2500 not sold, cost us $342,000. I would assume the band was 400 of those, admins another few hundred. Don't know if we actually ate the rest of if players and staff each get a couple of tickets for family members.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 04, 2012, 01:54:09 pm
So what ever happened to the touted 17million per school figure for Sugar Bowl participating schools? Additionally, as I read the OP's post, and the expense report, it seems that the participating school receives their share (per OP's post), PLUS the allowed expenses as determined by the SEC. So it seems that the $5200 is simply profit from the trip expense allowance. The school would still retain their original share, plus the divided share. Correct me if wrong please.

The 17mil was quoted as what a bcs team gets because no one ever bothered to read the actual bcs rules ( kid of like the 3 team from one league rule ).  The 17mil ( or whatever the higher number ) is only for AQ teams.  This year those teams are LSU, Clemson, WV, OSU, Oregon and Wisconsin.  Bama, VT, Mich, and Stanford are all at large teams. 

Yes, in the SEC schools get the alotted expense money PLSU their share from the SEC.  So the Hogs got their SEC payout and made $5,00 off expenses. 

Quote from: MS_HogFan on January 04, 2012, 01:32:27 pm
I think that is what they are saying. If so, that is wild.
I would like to see how the money is spent.
Hotel $450,000 ??
Food $350,000 ??
Travel $100,000 ??
Still leaves an extra million laying around.

Well, the travel party to bowl games, especially BCS games goes well beyond team/coaches.  It includes the band, the cherr squads, and a variety of other school VIp types.  It is not uncommon for a travel party, above the team, to include 200+ people. 

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2012, 02:00:37 pm
The 17mil was quoted as what a bcs team gets because no one ever bothered to read the actual bcs rules ( kid of like the 3 team from one league rule ).  The 17mil ( or whatever the higher number ) is only for AQ teams.  This year those teams are LSU, Clemson, WV, OSU, Oregon and Wisconsin.  Bama, VT, Mich, and Stanford are all at large teams. 

Yes, in the SEC schools get the alotted expense money PLSU their share from the SEC.  So the Hogs got their SEC payout and made $5,00 off expenses. 

Well, the travel party to bowl games, especially BCS games goes well beyond team/coaches.  It includes the band, the cherr squads, and a variety of other school VIp types.  It is not uncommon for a travel party, above the team, to include 200+ people. 

Thanks, I feel a bit better now about our share of the revenues.

k.c.hawg

January 04, 2012, 02:03:39 pm #38 Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:40:10 pm by k.c.hawg
Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 04, 2012, 01:54:09 pm

No....the schools cut off the top of the bowl ($1.7m for the Sugar Bowl) is used to pay expenses. The SEC then throws them approx $250k giving them approximately $1.9m for expenses, of which they spent all but $5200. The only thing we recieved other than the $5200 left after expenses was our share of the conference split.

Academic

Wrong.  Ark would not have gotten the full share.  Only Auto qualifiers get that.  The SECCG winner is the auto qualifier from the SEC.  This year, had GA beaten LSu in the BCSCG, and had LSU and Bama still been in the BCSCG, GA would have gotten the full BCS game share, and both LSu and Bama would have gotten at large shares. 

Look for the entire auto qualiier, and bcs payout set up to change after the 2012 season.  The "bcs" bowls are tired of the system wihich forces them into games like Clem/WV and Mich/VT.

We're saying the same thing. What I meant was if we would have gone to the Sugar and no other SEC team would have been in a BCS game then we would have earned the conference an additional $12 million (I think the AQ Sugar Bowl team got $18 million last year)

Academic

The teams participating in the bowl games get three (3) SEPARATE payments, see the bolded words below.

Quote(B) For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance between $1,500,000 and $3,999,999, the participating institution shall retain $1,000,000 plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee. The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and will be divided into 13 equal shares, with one share to the Conference and one share to each member institution.

1) $1,000,000
2) Travel Allowance
3) 1/13th share of all SEC bowl money

Now I'm no expert on this, and neither is anyone else here, but it would appear to me that the FOI report cited above is in reference to item #2 on the list. If that is true, then we netted much more than $5,200 on the Sugar Bowl and we will net around $4.2 million on the Cotton Bowl considering that the travel expenses were not factored in to the OP's spreadsheet.

Am I wrong? This seems simple enough to me.

Academic

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 04, 2012, 11:26:38 am
That being said some teams in BCS Bowls last year (UCONN) lost $1.6m because they had to commit to buying 17,500 tickets and their fan base didn't come close to buying them up.

I know you make other good arguments there to justify this, but it really pisses me off when people use this argument against playing in bowl games.

It's like if I get a huge year-end bonus at work and I decide to go buy a new Ferrari.

Then someone nerd with a calculator says: "You actually just lost $5,200 because of your bonus"
You know what I would say to them? "Yeah, but I've got a f*cking Ferrari"

Sorry for the double (triple) post.

k.c.hawg

January 04, 2012, 03:29:45 pm #42 Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:32:05 pm by k.c.hawg
Quote from: Academic on January 04, 2012, 03:14:05 pm
I know you make other good arguments there to justify this, but it really pisses me off when people use this argument against playing in bowl games.

It's like if I get a huge year-end bonus at work and I decide to go buy a new Ferrari.

Then someone nerd with a calculator says: "You actually just lost $5,200 because of your bonus"
You know what I would say to them? "Yeah, but I've got a f*cking Ferrari"

Sorry for the double (triple) post.

Hey I will never make that argument. The UCON administration wrote a $1.6m check to be in a BCS bowl game. Great for their fans, great for their players and all the kids (band, cheerleaders, support staff) all get to experience what could be a once in a lifetime event. The rules of the BCS have ticket commitments that you have to meet. UCONN got stuck holding thousands of $100-$200 tickets. It's a shame that donors and fans didn't step up and buy tickets to cut the loss but the players shouldn't be punished for that.

The year that Kansas went to the Orange Bowl there was a 50/50 split as to whether it would be Kansas or a more deserving Missouri team. Lew Perkins (Ks AD) gave a large ticket guarantee than what Mike Alden and Missouri would. Kansas went to the Orange bowl.....Missouri went to a suck ass bowl. I commend Lew Perkins for stepping up for his kids and fans.

Hoggish1

The "bcs" bowls are tired of the system wihich forces them into games like Clem/WV and Mich/VT. 

Thanks for the info...  It's about time these BCS bowls realize the system is stupid.  Comes a year too late for Hogs.  However, the Cotton was without a doubt THEE best bowl for us outside a BCS and maybe is the best place for us for recruiting since we will be all along on Friday night for all to see.

You can bet the recruits we are after for 2013 will be glued to our game.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Academic on January 04, 2012, 03:03:49 pm
The teams participating in the bowl games get three (3) SEPARATE payments, see the bolded words below.

1) $1,000,000
2) Travel Allowance
3) 1/13th share of all SEC bowl money

Now I'm no expert on this, and neither is anyone else here, but it would appear to me that the FOI report cited above is in reference to item #2 on the list. If that is true, then we netted much more than $5,200 on the Sugar Bowl and we will net around $4.2 million on the Cotton Bowl considering that the travel expenses were not factored in to the OP's spreadsheet.

Am I wrong? This seems simple enough to me.

Wrong. You are thinking 2) travel allowance covers the total expenses when it bascially covers only a small portion. Last year for the Sugar Bowl payment 1)  and payment 2) totaled $1.95m of which all but $5200 was spent on expenses.

Academic

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 04, 2012, 03:29:45 pm
Hey I will never make that argument.

I know, I didn't mean that you were, I just meant that it makes me mad when people use the same numbers you did to make that argument.

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 04, 2012, 03:38:44 pm
Wrong. You are thinking 2) travel allowance covers the total expenses when it bascially covers only a small portion. Last year for the Sugar Bowl payment 1)  and payment 2) totaled $1.95m of which all but $5200 was spent on expenses.

Oh, I see, I originally just skimmed of the FOI link from above but I went back and I see that now. So we got in the neighborhood of $200,000 for travel expenses? Interesting.

I will say that it is impressive that someone can take a budget of $1.95 million and spend it almost exactly to the penny (or within $5,200). That takes some serious accounting skills :)