Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shin-Soo Choo turns down a 7/140 offer from the Yanks

Started by ucahogfan, December 18, 2013, 12:43:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

His agent Scott Boras thought that Choo was worth Ellsbury money which is stupid for an average fielder at best who can't hit LHP worth a flip, but can get on base.  How crazy is it that we are at the point when a Shin-Soo Choo is worth 20 million a year on the FA market?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--shin-soo-choo-remains-the-riddle-of-the-free-agent-market-165809610.html

userpick

The craziest part is...if "Moneyball" didn't come out to the public like it did, he would have signed a 4 year, 36 million dollar deal weeks ago. It's really something that OBP is the only thing that matters now to a lot of teams. Choo should be thanking Billy Beane for his upcoming contract. Does anyone think Boras has finally bit off more than he can Choo?(pun intended) I'm not sure he's going to find a 7/153 deal with the Mariners likely out since they need a right handed bat. But Boras usually finds a way so we will see.

ucahogfan

Quote from: userpick on December 18, 2013, 02:09:38 pm
The craziest part is...if "Moneyball" didn't come out to the public like it did, he would have signed a 4 year, 36 million dollar deal weeks ago. It's really something that OBP is the only thing that matters now to a lot of teams. Choo should be thanking Billy Beane for his upcoming contract. Does anyone think Boras has finally bit off more than he can Choo?(pun intended) I'm not sure he's going to find a 7/153 deal with the Mariners likely out since they need a right handed bat. But Boras usually finds a way so we will see.
Yeah, I don't think should have gotten more than like 12 mil a year and if I were a GM it would be more like 9-10 a year at the most.  He is essentially an elite platoon player with how poorly he hits LHP.  I can't believe the Yanks offered 20 mil a year for 7 years.  Talk about a contract that would have not been close to worth it.  Plus, you have to give up a 1st round draft pick if it isn't one of the top 10 which are protected and then you would have to give up a 2nd round pick.  This is a very deep draft compared to years past, would an elite platoon player like Choo be worth 20 mil a year and losing a chance on a draft pick.  I would think the loss of a draft pick would drive the price down.

userpick

Quote from: ucahogfan on December 18, 2013, 02:17:50 pm
Yeah, I don't think should have gotten more than like 12 mil a year and if I were a GM it would be more like 9-10 a year at the most.  He is essentially an elite platoon player with how poorly he hits LHP.  I can't believe the Yanks offered 20 mil a year for 7 years.  Talk about a contract that would have not been close to worth it.  Plus, you have to give up a 1st round draft pick if it isn't one of the top 10 which are protected and then you would have to give up a 2nd round pick.  This is a very deep draft compared to years past, would an elite platoon player like Choo be worth 20 mil a year and losing a chance on a draft pick.  I would think the loss of a draft pick would drive the price down.

I agree. Since you touched on the draft pick...I think it's ridiculous that free agents are penalized financially just because the team has to give up a draft pick. For example, Matt Garza, who is a very average starter is looking at a lucrative deal just because he doesn't have a draft pick attached to him. The reason is because he was traded during the season. Players like Ubaldo Jiminez and Ervin Santana, who are slightly better than Garza in my opinion, will lose a lot of money because they have a draft pick attached. There are a lot of stupid rules that MLB has to improve.

ucahogfan

Quote from: userpick on December 18, 2013, 02:34:51 pm
I agree. Since you touched on the draft pick...I think it's ridiculous that free agents are penalized financially just because the team has to give up a draft pick. For example, Matt Garza, who is a very average starter is looking at a lucrative deal just because he doesn't have a draft pick attached to him. The reason is because he was traded during the season. Players like Ubaldo Jiminez and Ervin Santana, who are slightly better than Garza in my opinion, will lose a lot of money because they have a draft pick attached. There are a lot of stupid rules that MLB has to improve.
Yeah, the whole giving up a top tier draft pick for a free agent is beyond stupid, but it is part of what the union negotiated with the owners with the CBA.

How about this as an idea with the strictly enforced draft pools, why not strip the team of their draft pick, but let the value of the pick remain in the pool so that they can make some draft reaches outside of the top 10 rounds for elite level guys who have firm commitments.  That would allow teams to not be as worried financially IMO.

Garza has been a slightly above average starter the last 5 years with an ERA below 4 the entire time.  He would be a solid #3-4 type just like Ervin Santana IMO.  Ubaldo could be a staff ace as he flashed in Colorado or he could be a Double AA guy.  You never know with him.  Plus, the FA market is ridiculous.  Santana thinks he is going to get something like a 6/100 type deal which is insane for a midline starter when Grienke got 6/147 or whatever he did and he is one of the top 5-10 pitchers in the game.  Santana is more of a 5/60 type guy to me.

ucahogfan

Sources are reporting that Choo has signed with the Rangers for 7/130.  Essentially it would appear that the Rangers are hoping to get about 20 WAR out of Choo for the life of the contract.  This is a horrible deal as Choo has gotten worse against LHPs as his career as gone on and posted the 3rd highest WAR for a LHH on the Reds last year at 4.2.  He is 31 right now and the Rangers probably need him to average 4.0 WAR for the first 4 years for it to be close to worth it.

I know I am a Braves fan, but why didn't McCann get the 7 year deal for 130 million and only signed for 5/85 when he is an elite hitting catcher who will rake in Yankee Stadium and can move to 1B/DH when time calls.

userpick

Well I am a die hard Rangers fan so this comes with mixed feelings. While I'm not crazy about giving him 18.5 million a year, he provides a much better lead off option than what we currently have. Leonys Martin is currently batting .161 in winter ball. I'm not sure that was the main factor but it certainly couldn't have hurt. Like Prince Fielder, he should benefit from the right field porch in Arlington. I know the Rangers have wanted a patient, disciplined hitter and Choo is about the best that was available this off season. I think I'll like the move for about 3 years, but I'm not sure after that. We'll see.

One thing is for sure: the AL West is making moves this offseason.

superior_wang

least you guys have teams that will pay money to players. My Rockies area gd farm team to St Louis and NYY. 

on the plus side, at least we get the Rangers here for a couple games  in 2014... hope it allows us to face Yu Darvish. ill go on record predicting  15ks if he pitches .

userpick

The Rockies getting Morneau is a good pick up. He will like that park. I'm not sure about the Boone Logan deal, but they are spending a little bit of money. Do you live out there? I'm going to Denver next week. Looking forward to it.

pigture perfect

Morneau is a great pick-up for the Rockies. He will thrive there.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"