Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 27, 2013, 10:00:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

Garcia beat Strassberg today only only giving up 2 today. Let's let Atlanta worry about the Nats for awhile. Meanwhile looks like we have a race in the Central with Milwaukee being the hottest team in baseball, and Cincy nipping at our tails.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jbell96

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 24, 2013, 06:38:00 pm
Garcia beat Strassberg today only only giving up 2 today. Let's let Atlanta worry about the Nats for awhile. Meanwhile looks like we have a race in the Central with Milwaukee being the hottest team in baseball, and Cincy nipping at our tails.

Brewers have been playing a soft schedule & they don't have the pitching to last throughout the season. It's going to be between us & the Reds.

hoghappy

Not looking good the last few games.

pigture perfect

Iwould say we got the best of the Cox for Mujica deal. He's nasty with that slider. Just struck out the side for the save. Most importantly wde go back up 1 game on the Reds.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bohemond

I think I dislike the brewers more than any other mlb team. the reds are peckerwoods and the cubs are annoying but he brewers are skank. Cheaters.

dhornjr1

Shelby Miller rebounded nicely tonight and Matt Holliday hit a Mark McGwire-esque shot to center. Nice win.

Now, they have brought up Carlos Martinez, who pitched a scoreless seventh, and sent down Boggs. I'm excited to see what the kid can do.

pigture perfect

Quote from: dhornjr1 on May 03, 2013, 11:48:58 pm

Now, they have brought up Carlos Martinez, who pitched a scoreless seventh, and sent down Boggs. I'm excited to see what the kid can do.
I cheer this move. Boggs has lost something in hi mechanics or is injured some way. A little time in the minors to get it worked out will help.

Ray Piggers

Beltran has been ON FIRE lately. Sitting with the best record in the National League right now.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

pigture perfect

Who would have thought the Cards would have the best record in the NL, with the way Atlanta started and the talent they have. I think the major difference is starting pitching.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 04, 2013, 01:04:56 am
I cheer this move. Boggs has lost something in hi mechanics or is injured some way. A little time in the minors to get it worked out will help.

I think he lost something mentally more than anything.

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 04, 2013, 12:54:33 pm
Who would have thought the Cards would have the best record in the NL, with the way Atlanta started and the talent they have. I think the major difference is starting pitching.

Honestly, even if the Braves wouldn't have had such a great start I still wouldn't have guessed the Cards would have the best record in the NL. I really wasn't expecting too much this season. I thought we would be decent. About like last season, but probably without all the luck at the end.

I would have never guessed the Reds would have such a slow start either. I figure that they will probably turn it around.

pigture perfect

Yeah, I agree about the Reds. They will get hot and do some damage. we've done well against them this year though.

pigture perfect

Waino struggling in the 1st today. Giving up 5 hits and 2 run in the 1st.

johnny cash

Let's go ahead and get the sweep!

pigture perfect

Six Straight? Wow. Tied with Red Sox for best in the Majors. Pretty Cool.

jbell96

It's way too early to get really excited, but our starting pitching has been nothing short of outstanding. Hopefully the young guys that just got brought up will be able to fill in the holes in our bullpen.

pigture perfect

Picked up a game on everybody in the Central today. That doesn't happen very often.

pigture perfect

Seth Maness has pitched 3 1/3 innings and has 2 wins. That's efficiency

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 08, 2013, 10:25:42 pm
Picked up a game on everybody in the Central today. That doesn't happen very often.

Too bad we dropped a game to everybody in the Central yesterday.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 08, 2013, 10:32:57 pm
Seth Maness has pitched 3 1/3 innings and has 2 wins. That's efficiency

He's thrown like 10 pitches, 9 strikes and recorded 7 outs.

pigture perfect

Quote from: clutch on May 08, 2013, 10:34:09 pm
Too bad we dropped a game to everybody in the Central yesterday.
Lance Lynn threw a pretty good game yesterday. Deserved better. Problem was, old Bryant Arkansas boy Travis Wood pitched great as well.

pigture perfect

Quote from: clutch on May 08, 2013, 10:35:54 pm
He's thrown like 10 pitches, 9 strikes and recorded 7 outs.
That's a great find Clutch. +1

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 08, 2013, 10:44:48 pm
Lance Lynn threw a pretty good game yesterday. Deserved better. Problem was, old Bryant Arkansas boy Travis Wood pitched great as well.

Yeah you couldn't ask for much more from Lynn. He made 1 mistake and that was the difference in the game. Wood was great as well. He made the same mistake, but just got lucky that he made it with nobody on base. Bittersweet. I always pull for Travis because I used to play against him a lot, but not when he is playing the Cards. He's having a really good year. Too bad he's stuck on a terrible team.

hoghappy

Best record in baseball. Color me surprised.

pigture perfect

Shelby Miller retires 27 in a row, with 13 strikeouts. Dominant performance by a rook.

hoghappy

I saw that. Great game. This team is fun.

clutch

Amazing performance by Miller.

Bohemond

Shelby millers performance was a 98 rated by bill James system. Highest rating in cardinals history.

Adam Wainwright follows by taking a no hitter into the eighth.

pigture perfect

incredible pitching. If these guys stay healthy, look out.

clutch

They are talking about bringing Carp back in June or July. He won't be starting any this year, but they are thinking of bringing him back for the bullpen. Apparently he has been throwing a lot of bullpen sessions lately pain free. That would be huge for our bullpen. Great to have the old vet in there to mentor the young guys.

pigture perfect

I think Carp would be a great help for a couple years, then become our pitching coach.

johnny cash

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 11, 2013, 10:10:44 pm
I think Carp would be a great help for a couple years, then become our pitching coach.
this!

Bohemond

I've seen enough of Ty wigginton and danny descalso.

clutch

Quote from: caiside on May 12, 2013, 07:57:43 pm
I've seen enough of Ty wigginton and danny descalso.

It seems the Cardinals have "that guy" every year. I'd sure like to see them make a move for a solid player to fix that hole ever year. A middle infielder seems to be a liability every year. Sometimes the whole middle infield. At least offensively.

Bohemond

If matheny wants an aging veteran with sub par glove on the bench, he should still be able to hit.
Id rather see a rookie from memphis than  keep wiggjnton around. It just doesn't make any sense. His numbers have been declining and I think last year he was rated below replacement level.

pigture perfect

I'm thinking when Matt Adams is 100%, we won't be seeing much of Ty. I see DD as Skippy Shcumacher II. he will hang around.

johnny cash

DD is a good player, he wil stay around. Another good win by red- birds!

johnny cash

So far so good tonight. jay has really improved his swing, he is quicker to the ball now. Going up the middle a lot. Hit a homerun tonight. Beltran put one in Big Mac land. Cards up 10 to 4.

pigture perfect

Love the way this team is playing right now. They still have the best record in baseball.

johnny cash

Another night, another win. Another series won by Cards! Cards win4 to 2 over the Mets!

jbell96

Three of the top 5 records in the NL belong to NL Central teams.

clutch

Quote from: jbell96 on May 15, 2013, 11:22:32 pm
Three of the top 5 records in the NL belong to NL Central teams.

I wish that weren't the case. I'd like to have a pretty comfortable lead because Cardinals teams usually seem to have a mid season meltdown. At least with a large lead the damage wouldn't be as bad.

Seems like every year lately they start out the first month or 2 with the best record in baseball, then fall off the earth, then have to scratch and claw their way back into the postseason.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: clutch on May 16, 2013, 06:58:38 am
I wish that weren't the case. I'd like to have a pretty comfortable lead because Cardinals teams usually seem to have a mid season meltdown. At least with a large lead the damage wouldn't be as bad.

Seems like every year lately they start out the first month or 2 with the best record in baseball, then fall off the earth, then have to scratch and claw their way back into the postseason.
Never at this level, though. Last time we've started a season this well was in the mid-40's. The pitching performances will start fade a bit, but as our arms start to tire, our bats will warm up. I feel a lot different about this team than past teams, that's for sure.
ched come back pls

clutch

Quote from: HogsnCards on May 16, 2013, 02:10:46 pm
Never at this level, though. Last time we've started a season this well was in the mid-40's. The pitching performances will start fade a bit, but as our arms start to tire, our bats will warm up. I feel a lot different about this team than past teams, that's for sure.

Here's a little fact to somewhat back me up. The Cards have been in first place at the beginning of May the past 6 years.

I agree though, we usually aren't as hot as we are now.

dhornjr1

Quote from: clutch on May 16, 2013, 03:31:05 pm
Here's a little fact to somewhat back me up. The Cards have been in first place at the beginning of May the past 6 years.

I agree though, we usually aren't as hot as we are now.

+1

Good stat.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Kind of a weird start from Wainwright. I knew this would be an L as soon as I saw the lineup, though. Didn't feel good about it at all.

A couple of thoughts:
Is there a luckier pitcher than Manness? 3-0 in 5 short relief appearances with an ERA of I think 3.5ish.

To put Miller's start to the season in perspective: Since ERA started to be recorded (1913), three pitchers have given up 8 or less ER in their first 9 starts. Cisco Carlos, Fernando Valenzuela, and Miller. WOW.
ched come back pls

clutch

Quote from: HogsnCards on May 16, 2013, 08:54:06 pm
Kind of a weird start from Wainwright. I knew this would be an L as soon as I saw the lineup, though. Didn't feel good about it at all.

A couple of thoughts:
Is there a luckier pitcher than Manness? 3-0 in 5 short relief appearances with an ERA of I think 3.5ish.

To put Miller's start to the season in perspective: Since ERA started to be recorded (1913), three pitchers have given up 8 or less ER in their first 9 starts. Cisco Carlos, Fernando Valenzuela, and Miller. WOW.

Yeah but 2 of his wins came on like 10 total pitches. As soon as his gave up any runs at all his ERA was bound to sky rocket. I bet he's still under 7 total innings pitched.

Edit: yep, just looked. 5 innings pitched, 4 hits, 2 ERs.

He got 7 outs in his first 10 pitches in the big leagues though.

pigture perfect

Yeah, just not a good effort tonight.

sooiepig_12

Strike em out throw em out.  Yadi for MVP?

Ray Piggers

Good night for baseball. Hogs and Cards both win.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck