Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finebaum comments on the Louisville situation

Started by Hoggie17, September 27, 2017, 02:36:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggie17

https://www.diehards.com/louisville/paul-finebaum-louisville-bobby-petrino

I know one school in the SEC that would love to have BP.....Auburn! Gus better do good the rest of the year.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 27, 2017, 02:36:01 pm

I know one school in the SEC that would love to have BP.....Auburn! Gus better do good the rest of the year.
Jay Jacobs could get fired with Auburn's involvement in the scandal.

26.2Hog

Yep.  Also Tennessee and aTm might also be interested.

Hoggie17

Quote from: 26.2Hog on September 27, 2017, 02:48:25 pm
Yep.  Also Tennessee and aTm might also be interested.
Of those 3, ATM will probably have the worst record fallowed by TN.

Boarcephus

Petrino at Auburn, LSU, or A&M would keep Saban up at night.  If Petrino had access to the type of talent he would at those 3 schools, he'd be tough.  The times Saban got the better of him was simply because the talent level was so weighted in his favor.  Petrino will never attract the talent to compete with the Bama's, LSU's etc at Louisville. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

phadedhawg

If Petrino signals that he wants back in the SEC, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our next coach.  Wouldn't that be a riot?  Petrino did what he had to do...he put that scandal to bed. 

Long has hired him once, why not twice?

rhames

Auburn burnt their bridge with Petrino when they hired Gus in 2012

They interviewed him and embarrassed him.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhog1

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 27, 2017, 02:53:29 pm
Petrino at Auburn, LSU, or A&M would keep Saban up at night.  If Petrino had access to the type of talent he would at those 3 schools, he'd be tough.  The times Saban got the better of him was simply because the talent level was so weighted in his favor.  Petrino will never attract the talent to compete with the Bama's, LSU's etc at Louisville. 

Really? He had the Heisman trophy winner plus a ton of talent and couldn't win the ACC. What makes anyone think he could win the SEC.

311Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 27, 2017, 02:53:29 pm

not sure i agree with this, i mean does he not have the current Heisman trophy winning QB ? how much better of talent are you referring to.

phadedhawg

Quote from: rhog1 on September 27, 2017, 02:56:31 pm
Really? He had the Heisman trophy winner plus a ton of talent and couldn't win the ACC. What makes anyone think he could win the SEC.

Well the SEC couldn't win against the ACC either.  Clemson is a member of that conference.

Hoggie17

Quote from: rhog1 on September 27, 2017, 02:56:31 pm
I enjoyed every game that BP coached. Not so much since he left.

hogcard1964

Fire Long and Bielema tomorrow and bring him back.

Hoggie17

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 27, 2017, 02:58:53 pm

I enjoyed every game that BP coached. Not so much since he left.

Yes cause we always had the hope of a win .  He Gutted TAMU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

no one

I believe the Heisman was a 3 star recruit.  Is that right? 

Hoggie17

Quote from: no one on September 27, 2017, 03:05:12 pm
I believe the Heisman was a 3 star recruit.  Is that right?
I wouldn't doubt it, BP can get the most of a QB.

hoglady

Petrino at A&M would be very, very scary.

At least he's capable of identifying who he wants to be his QB.
Sumlin can't decide thus running off some pretty good talent the last few years.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

jkstock04

With the AD being ousted and all the turmoil it does make sense. It'll be a nightmare for us if he ends up at A&M or Auburn...especially if we are still stuck with Bielema.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hoggie17

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 27, 2017, 03:10:01 pm
With the AD being ousted and all the turmoil it does make sense. It'll be a nightmare for us if he ends up at A&M or Auburn...especially if we are still stuck with Bielema.
As long as we have CBB those 2 schools will beat us.

hoglady

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 27, 2017, 03:07:11 pm
I wouldn't doubt it, BP can get the most of a QB.

Yes he was a 3 star - wanted to go to Louisville to work with Petrino to improve his passing ability.
He wants to be an NFL QB - knew he needed a lot of work in the passing game. He's worked extremely hard.

LRHawg

Quote from: hoglady on September 27, 2017, 03:11:53 pm
Yes he was a 3 star - wanted to go to Louisville to work with Petrino to improve his passing ability.
He wants to be an NFL QB - knew he needed a lot of work in the passing game. He's worked extremely hard.

He will be a good NFL QB. Book it.

hoglady

Quote from: LRHawg on September 27, 2017, 03:16:13 pm

He's got to learn to check his emotions during a game - tries to do too much at times and gets flustered.
All the talent and potential in the world. And his passing is getting better every year.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 27, 2017, 02:59:58 pm
Fire Long and Bielema tomorrow and bring him back.

That would most likely have to happen if Petrino was to return because if the PTB at the U of A attempted to force Long to re-hire BP, he'd either resign or they'd have to fire him. Long will never agree to re-hiring Bobby because if he did that, he would be admitting to the whole College football world that he screwed up royally when he fired Bobby. Long's gigantic ego will never let him do that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hoglady

Quote from: GuvHog on September 27, 2017, 03:21:32 pm
That would most likely have to happen if Petrino was to return because if the PTB at the U of A attempted to force Long to re-hire BP, he'd either resign or they'd have to fire him. Long will never agree to re-hiring Bobby because if he did that, he would be admitting to the whole College football world that he screwed up royally when he fired Bobby. Long's gigantic ego will never let him do that.

I highly doubt Petrino would ever want to return to Arkansas - too much water under that bridge.
Although, I do think he really liked it here and would still be here if not for motorcycle crash.

Hawghiggs

I thought for a long time that Petrino was the best college football coach. He does more with less than anyone. He took Arkansas, and Louisville to national relevance. If he was to ever land a job like A&M.  Then look out.

hawgon

If Petrino takes the A&M job Long will cut and run and take the first train out of town rather than being forced to sit at Jerry's world and watch that prison taping every year.

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on September 27, 2017, 03:21:32 pm

That isn't true at all. The software company I work for now fired me 17 years ago, and I deserved it. When they hired me back, I was really fortunate to get a second chance. Your post is hyperbole.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 27, 2017, 03:34:18 pm
That isn't true at all. The software company I work for now fired me 17 years ago, and I deserved it. When they hired me back, I was really fortunate to get a second chance. Your post is hyperbole.

Not at all. You are seriously underestimating Jeff Long's Gigantic Ego. He wouldn't re-hire Bobby even to save his on job. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if he proves me wrong on that but I just don't see it happening.

Grizzlyfan

There is no doubt about the collateral damage part.  I heard somewhere of the top 20 most profitable college athletic programs 19 were football and the other one was Louisville basketball.  or maybe it was the top 25.  Either way the basketball program pays a lot of bills at Louisville.

phadedhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on September 27, 2017, 03:41:19 pm
Not at all. You are seriously underestimating Jeff Long's Gigantic Ego. He wouldn't re-hire Bobby even to save his on job.

Where's the evidence that Jeff Long has a "gigantic ego"?  I mean I understand not liking him but where do we get that he's got an ego problem?

Razorfox

Quote from: LRHawg on September 27, 2017, 03:16:13 pm

He'd be Petrino's first.  No one is disputing what he can do for a college QB, but he hasn't had much luck with guys at the next level. 

Gonzo

While the scenario itself is extremely unlikely (fantasyland imo), the notion it would happen without JL is far from hyperbole. You being rehired is far from the media draw this would entail. Even if the powers behind the throne were to pursue such I don't think there's any way two such large egos would kiss and make up over such a public falling out. I think it's more likely I win the lottery than BP ever works under JL again.

Go Hogs!

WizardofhOgZ

There is NO WAY Jeff Long would ever attempt to hire CBP again.  And if he did, there's no way that Petrino would return.

Even if Long were gone and someone else tried to get him back, there's no way Petrino returns to Arkansas after the way he exited. 

None.  Zero.  Nada.

Not saying I support trying to get him again (I don't, after what he did and his deserved firing).  But I sure hate like hell the idea of him at LSU or A&M.  Or even Auburn. 

With those resources, he'd give Saban a run for his money.

grayhawg

Let's swap Long to Louisville for Petrino, Long would bring integrity to Louisville and Petrino wins to Arkansas football.

Inhogswetrust

The question there is why were you fired.......We know why BP was. The reasons can and probably are completely different. That being said show us ONE coach that was fired while embroiled in a scandal only to be rehired by the same school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

phadedhawg

It's kinda depressing how "integrity" has become a dirty word in Arkansas athletics.  I get that fans want to win but to be angry that we aren't cheating to do so kind of makes us look like bigger losers than our record already indicates. 

phadedhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 27, 2017, 03:55:09 pm
The question there is why were you fired.......We know why BP was. The reasons can and probably are completely different. That being said show us ONE coach that was fired while embroiled in a scandal only to be rehired by the same school.

It would be unique but Louisville hired Petrino back after his leaving caused a scandal. 

GuvHog

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 27, 2017, 03:44:39 pm
Where's the evidence that Jeff Long has a "gigantic ego"?  I mean I understand not liking him but where do we get that he's got an ego problem?

It's my honest opinion. I've always believed Jeff Long really fired Bobby because Bobby was getting more attention from the Hog faithful than Long was and that the official reasons were just convenient excuses. It's no secret that many people gave Bobby's success with the football program more credit for the spike in revenue than they gave Long.

311Hog

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 27, 2017, 03:55:37 pm
It's kinda depressing how "integrity" has become a dirty word in Arkansas athletics.  I get that fans want to win but to be angry that we aren't cheating to do so kind of makes us look like bigger losers than our record already indicates. 

so much this ^ it is pretty pathetic.

gchamblee

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 27, 2017, 03:55:09 pm

I was fired for not doing my job. CBP was doing his job but he lied to his boss and made a public spectacle of it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: grayhawg on September 27, 2017, 03:51:30 pm
Let's swap Long to Louisville for Petrino, Long would bring integrity to Louisville and Petrino wins to Arkansas football.

Remind us again how many SEC titles BP had won...............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lahawg1

So CBP is going to leave a school for firing the AD because of a scandal and go to another school with the same exact scandal going on?

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 27, 2017, 03:57:04 pm
Remind us again how many SEC titles BP had won...............

Ya he sucked big time here.  Terrible resume.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gchamblee on September 27, 2017, 03:57:00 pm
I was fired for not doing my job. CBP was doing his job but he lied to his boss and made a public spectacle of it.

BINGO. You were NOT fired for lying to your boss. Thanks for making the point that sometimes reasons preclude someone for getting rehired. That being said it's lucky for you that you were rehired because I've hired and fired a lot of people. I have a rule that once fired nobody is rehired for any reason.

Been10Hog

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 27, 2017, 03:44:39 pm
Beat me to it! I haven't seen ego in any of his moves! He has done the best he can to benefit the U of A

Hoggie17

All males have testosterone, I can forgive someone for a mistake where that hormone was to blame, what went on in Louisville is a real crime,

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on September 27, 2017, 03:56:43 pm
It's my honest opinion. I've always believed Jeff Long really fired Bobby because Bobby was getting more attention from the Hog faithful than Long was and that the official reasons were just convenient excuses. It's no secret that many people gave Bobby's success with the football program more credit for the spike in revenue than they gave Long.

Long fired Bobby because his last transgression added on top of how he had been a complete - to so many thinking he was untouchable made it possible to fire Bobby. BP burned too many bridges.  This idea Long acted completely on his own is naive.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 27, 2017, 04:00:12 pm
Ya he sucked big time here.  Terrible resume.

My point was there is no guarantee any coach will win. Sure he has a good track record of percentage of wins. He has a bad track record of winning championships. And to those that are win at all cost types that should be the standard.

GuvHog

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 27, 2017, 03:56:18 pm
It would be unique but Louisville hired Petrino back after his leaving caused a scandal. 

Exactly and they also added an 11,000,000 dollar buyout to his contract. Obviously their AD is a lot smarter than Jeff Long because while they haven't won any championships, they have won a heck of a lot of games.