Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DWR Stadium Expansion

Started by longpig, February 02, 2017, 02:12:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3kgthog

Leaving one corner open looks more and more odd as construction progresses. I get the "look-in" preservationist thinking, but Jeff has poo pooed on tradition everywhere else (slobberin' Hog and school colors). Why give RRS special treatment?

OneLardAlmighty

I disagree.  As lower level seating and the concourse fill in from west to east, and as the elevator tower on the NE corner fills in from the other side, the gap will close somewhat and will be barely visible or not visible at all from many vantage points inside the stadium.  Keep in mind that the two perspectives from which the construction site photos are shot, the SW tower and the hill to the north are the two angles that maximize the view of the gap.

It's going to look cool from inside.  And it will be cool being able to peer down into the stadium from Maple the 359 days a year that the hogs aren't playing. 

TebowHater

Quote from: 3kgthog on July 11, 2017, 10:39:59 am
Leaving one corner open looks more and more odd as construction progresses. I get the "look-in" preservationist thinking, but Jeff has poo pooed on tradition everywhere else (slobberin' Hog and school colors). Why give RRS special treatment?

It looks terrible. And most people seem to think it looks terrible. And JL knows it looks terrible.

As you note, this wasn't about tradition - we would have had too many empty seats / loge boxes etc that couldn't be filled if we had to continue it around. That's the reality of the situation - demand was not there. "Look-in" a very convenient excuse

I agree with poster above it will probably look a tiny bit better when that concourse is built, but it will forever look incomplete (until it's finally completed all the way around).

GuvHog

Quote from: TebowHater on July 11, 2017, 12:51:21 pm
It looks terrible. And most people seem to think it looks terrible. And JL knows it looks terrible.

As you note, this wasn't about tradition - we would have had too many empty seats / loge boxes etc that couldn't be filled if we had to continue it around. That's the reality of the situation - demand was not there. "Look-in" a very convenient excuse

I agree with poster above it will probably look a tiny bit better when that concourse is built, but it will forever look incomplete (until it's finally completed all the way around).

The lower part will be complete, all the way around.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TebowHater

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 12:57:55 pm
The lower part will be complete, all the way around.

Yeah you're right - seats are - don't think loge boxes are

GuvHog

Quote from: TebowHater on July 11, 2017, 01:02:04 pm
Yeah you're right - seats are - don't think loge boxes are

You're right, they aren't. Having the lower level complete makes it look pretty good. If it were incomplete like that all the way down to the floor of the stadium that would indeed look horrible.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GoHogzzGo

I think if the ground outside the stadium was actually at foundation/first floor level like normal it wouldn't be such a big deal.

That being said I'm curious to see how it looks once the lower bowl seats are in. Inside the stadium video recently taken looks pretty great.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

outlawhogeywells

Just make it look complete from the outside and leave the "standing room only area" there.  At least from the outside it would look complete

OneLardAlmighty

Terrible?  Really?

And you really think low demand for loge boxes accounts for the design?  If only the architects had realized that they could have gotten the same number of boxes by building all the way across and eliminating a couple of levels.

Geez.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 11, 2017, 07:38:21 am
7-11 Update
New structure being formed on the right side of the NEZ
SEZ scoreboard coming along nicely

I'm loving this and I think it looks awesome...............   great job! to the team that thought this up and went to the trouble..................
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

bythelake

I and many others appreciate the view port.  If your ever lucky enough to visit our campus you will see many people taking pictures of the field from the that vantage point.  Great job by administration.

spe450

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on July 11, 2017, 01:27:14 pm
Just make it look complete from the outside and leave the "standing room only area" there.  At least from the outside it would look complete

That would defeat the purpose of the whole design.

gchamblee

Quote from: ricepig on June 29, 2017, 03:02:15 pm
I can eat a pretty big ole steak from Does, but I don't think I can handle the 96oz, lol. Several years ago my oldest played in a baseball tournament at Amarillo and we ate at The Big Texan. There were a couple of guys, not in our group, trying to eat the 72oz steak challenge there, both failed.

I tried it when I lived in Amarillo. I failed as well.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on June 29, 2017, 03:02:15 pm
I can eat a pretty big ole steak from Does, but I don't think I can handle the 96oz, lol. Several years ago my oldest played in a baseball tournament at Amarillo and we ate at The Big Texan. There were a couple of guys, not in our group, trying to eat the 72oz steak challenge there, both failed.

I ate a 72oz from the Texas Road House in Columbus, GA. Burped up steak for the rest of the weekend.
This is my non-signature signature.

gchamblee

You should do a little google search on the history of our stadium and the request made by the land donor. It might prevent you from volunteering how uninformed you are when discussing the subject again.

AirWarren

Still looks ridiculous. Regardless of this post.

MissippHog

We were up there on the 4th, snapped this pic with my phone.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Its gonna look good when its all done guys, chill  ::)

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

VirginiaHog

Wrong in so many ways.

VirginiaHog

BrickTwnHog

it also appears to have a rather tall glass on that open side to capture sound, I think this will look much better than a completely bowled in upper deck with empty seats anyways. it's going to a kinda cool hang out area with standing room only tickets if I remember correctly which will be discounted prices.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: SpaHog1986 on July 12, 2017, 11:36:26 am
it also appears to have a rather tall glass on that open side to capture sound, I think this will look much better than a completely bowled in upper deck with empty seats anyways. it's going to a kinda cool hang out area with standing room only tickets if I remember correctly which will be discounted prices.
I got the sense that there were plans to make the SRO area one of the main entrance plazas, sorta like the centerfield gate at some MLB parks. 

Also, somewhere there is a revised rendering, different from these which are on the UA website, that is significantly different in some ways--and to my mind, not quite as cool.  If anybody knows where that is, or has seen a later version, I'd love to see it again. I hope they retain the "observation decks" at each level of the elevator towers.  One thing I've never quite understood about this version though:  why wouldn't you put the glassed in portion of the elevator towers facing the field?  I like creating sight lines to the field from as many points in the stadium as possible.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 10, 2017, 07:11:44 pm
it looks like it needs to move about a foot to the left :o

SEC Refs must have measured it!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bvillepig

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 12, 2017, 08:09:43 am
Its gonna look good when its all done guys, chill  ::)

Yes it is.  I like it.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on July 12, 2017, 12:03:25 pm
I got the sense that there were plans to make the SRO area one of the main entrance plazas, sorta like the centerfield gate at some MLB parks. 

Also, somewhere there is a revised rendering, different from these which are on the UA website, that is significantly different in some ways--and to my mind, not quite as cool.  If anybody knows where that is, or has seen a later version, I'd love to see it again. I hope they retain the "observation decks" at each level of the elevator towers.  One thing I've never quite understood about this version though:  why wouldn't you put the glassed in portion of the elevator towers facing the field?  I like creating sight lines to the field from as many points in the stadium as possible.
Correct. Look at the rending that shows the SRO from outside the stadium. You can see a gate sign on the outer "fence". Will definitely be an entry point. I dont know of any revised construction plans. If you find those be sure to post em!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 12, 2017, 12:14:41 pm
SEC Refs must have measured it!

Penn Wagers was hired as the engineer.

New stadium upgrade automatically throws flags on Razorback 2nd and 4th Downs and opponent 3rd downs.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 12, 2017, 07:12:10 pm
Penn Wagers was hired as the engineer.

New stadium upgrade automatically throws flags on Razorback 2nd and 4th Downs and opponent 3rd downs.
Then we need to schedule more games at WMS...

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 12, 2017, 07:33:03 pm

Why did you call artillery fire on your own position?

Lol

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 12, 2017, 07:33:03 pm

We can't, the LR Trojans will soon have exclusive use of it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on July 12, 2017, 07:53:12 pm
We can't, the LR Trojans will soon have exclusive use of it.

Not sure if serious.

bowen8686

Got the Loge Box email today looking for interested persons. Looks pretty cool. Anyone know what kind of commitment cost will be associated with these?

ricepig

Quote from: bowen8686 on July 12, 2017, 08:19:45 pm
Got the Loge Box email today looking for interested persons. Looks pretty cool. Anyone know what kind of commitment cost will be associated with these?

Last number I remember hearing was $4k/seat.

BrickTwnHog

not a very important issue, just one of pure curiosity but where are they planning on shooting fireworks/canon off from after a touchdown?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 12, 2017, 07:34:42 pm
Why did you call artillery fire on your own position?

Lol
Somewhere Mel Gibson is yelling broken arrow.

After all the comedic roles he's had I couldn't take him seriously in that movie

hogfanboy2

Quote from: 3kgthog on July 11, 2017, 10:39:59 am

This LIFE photo  leads a little credence to the look-in tradition
(I'm not going to explain to Millennials what LIFE is)

factchecker

Quote from: hogfanboy2 on July 12, 2017, 09:08:37 pm

Awesome photo.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

TeufelHog

If you guys can't see how amazing our renovated facility is going to be when finished you have no vision.  Surrounded by our beautiful Ozarks . . . it is, and will continue to be, the envy of our conference for a long time.  Can't wait to see the finished product!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hogfanboy2 on July 12, 2017, 09:08:37 pm
The millennial jabs have gotten really old. We know what LIFE is. Now go back to yelling at those kids to get off your lawn

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 12, 2017, 12:51:37 pm
Correct. Look at the rending that shows the SRO from outside the stadium. You can see a gate sign on the outer "fence". Will definitely be an entry point. I dont know of any revised construction plans. If you find those be sure to post em!

I've looked high and low for that image but can't find it.  It was tweeted by someone at the UA in February or March, around the time that the new women's bb coach was hired.  It was a new rendering from the perspective of the south end zone looking north and showed some modifications to the suites and elevator towers, less glass on the top level, etc. when compared with the drawings on the UA website.  I would imagine these changes could be accommodated without much alteration to the design concept currently shown.  It received a fair bit of comment at the time.  I  thought some of these were improvements and others not. 

Who knows whether this is even the final design.  I gather that some minor elements may still be in flux.
At any rate, it appears to have been deleted by whoever sent it out.  Either that, or I've just forgotten where I saw it.  I would like to look at it again though.

FraggleHog

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on July 13, 2017, 09:01:26 am
I've looked high and low for that image but can't find it.  It was tweeted by someone at the UA in February or March, around the time that the new women's bb coach was hired.  It was a new rendering from the perspective of the south end zone looking north and showed some modifications to the suites and elevator towers, less glass on the top level, etc. when compared with the drawings on the UA website.  I would imagine these changes could be accommodated without much alteration to the design concept currently shown.  It received a fair bit of comment at the time.  I  thought some of these were improvements and others not. 

Who knows whether this is even the final design.  I gather that some minor elements may still be in flux.
At any rate, it appears to have been deleted by whoever sent it out.  Either that, or I've just forgotten where I saw it.  I would like to look at it again though.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 13, 2017, 09:31:48 am

Thanks, but this isn't it.  The image I have in mind is an image of the interior of the stadium from the south looking north.  It is a modification of the design pictured here, though not one that would necessarily change the looks of things from this perspective, apart from maybe the towers.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 13, 2017, 08:16:18 am
The millennial jabs have gotten really old. We know what LIFE is. Now go back to yelling at those kids to get off your lawn

Yeah it's a board game I used to play as a kid. Not sure what it has to do with Razorback football?

RME

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 13, 2017, 09:57:56 am
Yeah it's a board game I used to play as a kid. Not sure what it has to do with Razorback football?

Don't you get it?! Millionaire Estates (damn coaches, administration, and boosters) and Countryside Acres (damn common folk)? It's the perfect representation of Arkansas!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

He was talking about LIFE magazine and the picture a few comments back

rljjr

I thought it was a cereal that Mikey liked. Or it was the place where I got all those Time-Life book collections of the Old West. Did you know John Wesley Hardin was so mean he once shot a man for snoring?

ricepig

Quote from: rljjr on July 13, 2017, 10:22:51 am
I thought it was a cereal that Mikey liked. Or it was the place where I got all those Time-Life book collections of the Old West. Did you know John Wesley Hardin was so mean he once shot a man for snoring?

Mean bastage, that one......

Gohogs600

Quote from: ricepig on July 12, 2017, 08:42:02 pm
Last number I remember hearing was $4k/seat.

I can confirm this pricing is correct, except for the ones on each side of the tunnel where they walk out. $25k for each of those boxes. Not sure on total seats on each of those, and I think there is a minimum lease term on those two.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 13, 2017, 08:16:18 am

I think the've earned those jabs.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

7-14-17 Update
Scoreboard construction in both endzones is progressing well. Construction to the right of the NEZ (inside the stadium) is starting to take shape as well.

FraggleHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 14, 2017, 10:20:59 am
7-14-17 Update
Scoreboard construction in both endzones is progressing well. Construction to the right of the NEZ (inside the stadium) is starting to take shape as well.

Man! What is up with that gap??? It just looks unfinished /s

THAT is what a SEC calibre stadium looks like! Can't wait to see if finished...
Calling the Hogs from DFW