Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CMA gives his opinion on the Hogs loss to N.Carolina in 2017 NCAAT

Started by rzrbkman, March 13, 2018, 07:35:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbkman

He was on Bo's show today and he stated that when Arkansas was up by 5 points with 3 minutes to play,  the team spent too much time trying to play one on one instead of playing team ball.

rude1

Give it to CMA, unless it gets really egregious he is never going to complain about officiating, but on the other hand because he doesn't complain, officials aren't afraid to call against his teams over and over, as he will just stand there and blame his players instead of fighting for them.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hoglady

Quote from: rude1 on March 13, 2018, 07:39:30 pm
Give it to CMA, unless it gets really egregious he is never going to complain about officiating, but on the other hand because he doesn't complain, officials aren't afraid to call against his teams over and over, as he will just stand there and blame his players instead of fighting for them.

I agree with you to a point.
You also don't want a team that constantly blames officials for losses or players who complain throughout the game about officiating.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogfanny

Well he coaches to make money. Getting hefty fines for bad officiating is pointless.
Now you take me for example, I can tell the truth about corrupt officiating, and I only get my posts deleted. So against tarheels in 2017, we were defeated by the refs as we all know. Now if I bash players, I get deleted, but Mike can bash the players, with no repercussions. So together we get it done.

HardCore

Yep.  When UNC was wearing down late in the second half, the whistles started blowing, thus slowing the game down for UNC.  Not to mention the uncalled charge. 
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

onebadrubi

Mike has chewed into officials at times, albeit not enough for my liking, but he has had talks with sec commish over some officiating comments he made before

hawgfan4life

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Calling out officials or going off on them to purposely get T'd up (as some have wanted mike to do) usually hurts more than it helps. Do you really want to piss off the guy that has control over the outcome of a game? What if you get on a refs bad side and he officiates one of your games a few weeks down the road? Youre screwed! Im sure there have been times where Mike wanted to speak out, but he has to handle things a certain way
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

The Kig

Quote from: hogfanny on March 13, 2018, 10:30:52 pm
So against tarheels in 2017, we were defeated by the refs as we all know.

Your opinion, not "as we ALL know".  There were missed/questionable calls in that games, as there are in every game, but we didn't lose that game because of the refs.

Fan passion aside, very few games are truly decided by the refs.  Just like in football where a flag could be thrown on just about every play, some judgement and human error creep into basketball officiating.

UNC may well be the darling of the NCAA, ESPN, and the networks, but that unabashed bias would not force bad calls. Bad officiating doesn't necessarily equate to bias.  Frankly, players/coaches whining about bad calls does influence officials...just not in the way they want.  So MA's approach is correct. 
Poker Porker

Hoggish1

Quote from: The Kig on March 14, 2018, 08:51:58 am
Your opinion, not "as we ALL know".  There were missed/questionable calls in that games, as there are in every game, but we didn't lose that game because of the refs.

Fan passion aside, very few games are truly decided by the refs.  Just like in football where a flag could be thrown on just about every play, some judgement and human error creep into basketball officiating.

UNC may well be the darling of the NCAA, ESPN, and the networks, but that unabashed bias would not force bad calls. Bad officiating doesn't necessarily equate to bias.  Frankly, players/coaches whining about bad calls does influence officials...just not in the way they want.  So MA's approach is correct. 

Yes, yes, you are right—but did you see those calls in the last three minutes or were you trying to pee and it took you too long to get back to the set...?

Hog Pharm

He's right though. We did play one on one for the last few minutes which ultimately cost us. While the blown call against Berry was bad, I doubt it actually cost us the game because we likely weren't going to score again with the way we were playing.

sickboy

You honestly think the refs get intimidated by the coaches yelling at them? They aren't children being put in place by a stern parent. They get paid by the league. Coaches yelling at them is part of the job description. 

bigred223

Quote from: The Kig on March 14, 2018, 08:51:58 am

The calls played a huge factor in that one.

orvillesghost

I am not going to get into the debate over officiating.

I remember UNC really turned up their defensive pressure late. I always felt that made a substantial difference as well.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 14, 2018, 12:09:06 pm
So -- essentially -- bad coaching?

I concur.
i thought we played great defense on three of those possessions late which leads to our offense, clean strip, a bull crap 50/50 charge Call and then the horrible non charge call
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"