Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

German Volume Training

Started by clutch, October 19, 2014, 12:05:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Highly recommended.

Been on a program for about a month and have noticed incredible gains. 2 more weeks and ill cycle to something else. It's intense and not recommended for more than 4-6 weeks.

Anybody looking for a "shock factor" exercise should look into this.

Hogsmo Kramer

Good ole GVT.

Soreness this way cometh!
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 23, 2014, 07:59:57 pm
Good ole GVT.

Soreness this way cometh!

That's for sure. I've been sore for a month. My joints are taking a pounding too. Been having to double up in the glucosamine. Looking forward to the recovery week coming up soon. Gains have been great so far though.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on October 23, 2014, 08:49:24 pm
That's for sure. I've been sore for a month. My joints are taking a pounding too. Been having to double up in the glucosamine. Looking forward to the recovery week coming up soon. Gains have been great so far though.

Yeah I've always liked that program.

I tried it for the first time in oh I guess like 2001 and have kept it in the rotation here and there.

Come to think of it I haven't gone through a cycle in at least a year and a half or two of GVT so maybe it's time to revisit an oldy but goody.

Could use another change of pace anyway and who doesn't like feeling like they've been beat with a bat the next day after a workout?  :)

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 23, 2014, 10:42:37 pm
Yeah I've always liked that program.

I tried it for the first time in oh I guess like 2001 and have kept it in the rotation here and there.

Come to think of it I haven't gone through a cycle in at least a year and a half or two of GVT so maybe it's time to revisit an oldy but goody.

Could use another change of pace anyway and who doesn't like feeling like they've been beat with a bat the next day after a workout?  :)

I love that feeling. It's definitely a program that's only for the dedicated though. It's like putting yourself through hell.

I've sort of altered the program to suit me, but the basic format is still in place. I took triceps off of chest and shoulder day because by the time I got around to tris there was nothing left. Added it to back and biceps day. So my week goes chest/shoulders, legs, bis/tris/back. I do as on chest and back day, although not whole lot of abs. I've never been big on direct ab exercises. I much prefer to strengthen my core through compound lifts and skip a lot of the pointless ab targeting. I usually do those 3 days, take 2 days rest and start the cycle again.

I know at the end you're only supposed to have like 4-6 rounds of each thing since it's a 3 day a week program. I'm an idiot though and pretty much doubling up by not taking a day between each workout, so I'll have about 10-12 rounds in by the end of my 6 weeks. And I wonder why my joints hurt.......

Hogsmo Kramer

October 24, 2014, 10:36:58 am #5 Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:13:22 am by Hogsmo Kramer
Quote from: clutch on October 23, 2014, 11:06:07 pm
I love that feeling. It's definitely a program that's only for the dedicated though. It's like putting yourself through hell.

I've sort of altered the program to suit me, but the basic format is still in place. I took triceps off of chest and shoulder day because by the time I got around to tris there was nothing left. Added it to back and biceps day. So my week goes chest/shoulders, legs, bis/tris/back. I do as on chest and back day, although not whole lot of abs. I've never been big on direct ab exercises. I much prefer to strengthen my core through compound lifts and skip a lot of the pointless ab targeting. I usually do those 3 days, take 2 days rest and start the cycle again.

I know at the end you're only supposed to have like 4-6 rounds of each thing since it's a 3 day a week program. I'm an idiot though and pretty much doubling up by not taking a day between each workout, so I'll have about 10-12 rounds in by the end of my 6 weeks. And I wonder why my joints hurt.......

Ha my joints like to talk to me too when they think I'm not listening.

Like my left AC joint right now being mad at me for heavy pressing, it just doesn't understand I don't care what it has to say......well within reason at least.  8)

I personally have found over the years it's good to literally kick your own butt from time to time like what you're doing now. As long as it's brief and you know when to cycle off it's a nice tool to have in the bag and leads to some really good gains.

And hey the Germans are good at a couple things, namely lifting and beer, both of which I'm quite fond of being of German descent myself, so might as well take advantage of their knowledge.

Edit: Another routine you might try if you like GVT is the Russian Bear routine by Pavel Tsatsouline. It's similar to GVT but a bit different too. It's high volume as well though so I wouldn't do it right away given you are just finishing GVT but thought I'd mention it in case you haven't heard of it, and as with any program of course it's tweakable.

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 24, 2014, 10:36:58 am
Ha my joints like to talk to me too when they think I'm not listening.

Like my left AC joint right now being mad at me for heavy pressing, it just doesn't understand I don't care what it has to say......well within reason at least.  8)

I personally have found over the years it's good to literally kick your own butt from time to time like what you're doing now. As long as it's brief and you know when to cycle off it's a nice tool to have in the bag and leads to some really good gains.

And hey the Germans are good at a couple things, namely lifting and beer, both of which I'm quite fond of being of German descent myself, so might as well take advantage of their knowledge.

Edit: Another routine you might try if you like GVT is the Russian Bear routine by Pavel Tsatsouline. It's similar to GVT but a bit different too. It's high volume as well though so I wouldn't do it right away given you are just finishing GVT but thought I'd mention it in case you haven't heard of it, and as with any program of course it's tweakable.

Thinking of giving Vince Girondas 8x8 program a try after the GVT. Going to go through a short deload phase and then try to jump into it. Heard it was pretty brutal too though. May give my body a few more weeks to recover before I try it since it's trashed right now.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on October 24, 2014, 12:26:42 pm
Thinking of giving Vince Girondas 8x8 program a try after the GVT. Going to go through a short deload phase and then try to jump into it. Heard it was pretty brutal too though. May give my body a few more weeks to recover before I try it since it's trashed right now.

Ha I've done that one too, heck come to think of it there aren't many programs I haven't tried over the last 20 years of lifting.

It's a good program too but yeah brutal in it's own right. I agree a good deload would be in order to get prepared to tackle it after coming off GVT.

I haven't done 8x8 in a long time though, one of my favorite rep schemes was 10 sets of 3 reps back in the day but haven't done it in a while either.

Been on variations of 531 for like 2 years with some other stuff sprinkled in for variety. That said though this is making me want to revisit some of those programs myself.

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 24, 2014, 01:14:12 pm
Ha I've done that one too, heck come to think of it there aren't many programs I haven't tried over the last 20 years of lifting.

It's a good program too but yeah brutal in it's own right. I agree a good deload would be in order to get prepared to tackle it after coming off GVT.

I haven't done 8x8 in a long time though, one of my favorite rep schemes was 10 sets of 3 reps back in the day but haven't done it in a while either.

Been on variations of 531 for like 2 years with some other stuff sprinkled in for variety. That said though this is making me want to revisit some of those programs myself.

I've done the 10 reps of 3 and really liked it.

I've been doing 5/3/1 stuff for quite a while too and finally just wanted to jump into something else for a while. I was starting to get bored with the 5/3/1 variations. The switch over to GVT has been fun. I was excited to go to the gym again everyday because I knew I was in for a good challenge. I'm going to try the 8x8 on really short rest periods to see what kind of results I get. Thinking 30 seconds to a minute on large muscles and 15-30 seconds on smaller muscles such as biceps, triceps, calves, shoulders.

Tai_Mai_Shu

I looked into this and will give it a try in a couple of weeks. Maybe when the new year people trickled in and I only need two-three exercises I will do this.

clutch

Quote from: Tai_Mai_Shu on December 09, 2014, 02:38:33 pm
I looked into this and will give it a try in a couple of weeks. Maybe when the new year people trickled in and I only need two-three exercises I will do this.

It's a really good program. Don't run it longer than 4-6 weeks though. It's hard on your body.